Big Red theater build 21' x 27' - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, motivated by the fear of having been loganed i have some progress pics to post. first is the work on my columns. i didn't want the usual square columns with speakers in them so i went with an approach of recessing the surround speakers into the walls behind the gom then letting my columns be real wood columns. i always liked the old style columns that sit on pedestals so i did a raised panel cherry pedestal with a round column on top.

first i built the pedestals out of raised panels (if you don't want to build them you could always buy them from a cabinet shop). i used cherry for everything in the theater. i mitered the corners of the raised panels and joined them together into a U shape then put a plywood cap on top with a little door jamb around the edge. i finished them with baseboard and whambo - raised panel pedestals.

then i bought some plywood cylinders and half cylinders. i got mine from www.tapeease.com. they came in 10' lengths and i cut them in two to use for the upper columns. they are kind of ugly when you get them and the grain is going the wrong way.

on the stage i used full 14" diameter columns and on the side walls i used 12" half cylinders. after applying veneer to the columns they look like solid cherry. sitting them on top of the base they look like this on my stage.

i still have to get a small piece of curved trim to put around the top and bottom of each column to hide the gap between it and the ceiling. i am considering using a new flexibile molding since this wood will be stained.

i made the pocket door slice through the middle of the columns so that when it is open it looks like it is not there. the columns are on both sides of the doorway so it looks like they wrap all the way around.

as you can see i have insulation in. i will post on that when i get the pics uploaded.

logan - feel the heat baby!

greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Loving your theater progress. But more importantly, I'm stealing ideas from your office setup! Thanks for sharing...

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #183 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I'm speechless. Makes me want to rip mine out and start over.
post #184 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wonderful work. Do you plan to acoustically treat the soffitt ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #185 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DO NOT rip out anything!!! your concession is the coolest thing i have seen. i LOVE the clean countertops with the micro underneath. i LOVE the use of textures that no cabinet guy would ever think of (padded walls- are you kidding me? what an idea). the sign is classy. the granite is awesome. and big, round columns!. i LOVE big round columns!!!

man i wish i had a place for something like that. if i did i would steal the ideas with pride

thanks for the kudos. i have looked at the theaters on avs for years and imagined the arab oil palaces that they must be in so it is funny to have people be so complimentary of my project. i never intended to do anything over the top.

greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

post #186 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks art. the soffits are cherry and they will be stained and poly'd. i didn't want cloth soffits so i worked with bryan to come up with a way to treat the room that worked around the soffits. i am getting a post together but the short version is that we did a rear bass trap and covered it with fsk.

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Wonderful work. Do you plan to acoustically treat the soffitt ?

Art

post #187 of 542 Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yup, Big I have the same feeling. My HT design is now woefully inadequate.

Great work Greg very nice build, those columns are awesome.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #188 of 542 Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nice woodwork!

I like the way your pocket door looks, just make sure it doesn't rattle when things are cranking....

Scott

post #189 of 542 Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Really looks nice! That is one big screen. I wish I has that much space. I just didn't want to get into moving all the mechanicals, rough bathroom plumbing, etc. I'd NEVER get done if I had to do all that too, so I'm using the space I have.

I see that IS an smx screen, but still, will the screen frame affect anything as it splits the speaker cones?

Keep up the goodwork!

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #190 of 542 Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM

WOW.

What an incredible build. Your woodworking skills match and surpass some of the best carpenters I have worked with over the years. I think you missed your calling working for the computer company!

Can't wait to see how the build progresses.

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #191 of 542 Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow thanks funston. i make more scrap than anything. i have a friend who makes things like hand carved table legs and such. he calls me a flatlander because i make large square things

tom - early testing indicates that those 15" would get the sound into the room if i parked my car in front of them.

SVonHof - several people mentioned the pocket door rattle early on. i think we got a pretty good one and so far i have not heard a peep from it.

RTROSE - yes, go colts!

greg

post #192 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok i am in the final moment of choosing colors for the GOM and i am flinching. we had planned to do black ceiling, black screen wall, black(ish) carpet, red trim and light walls. it is the last point i am getting concerned about. here are the colors we are planning.

Carpet

Trim

GOM

It is the last one that i am curious about. i love the look of it but i wonder if it will be distracting. maybe i should do something darker. does anyone have any experience with light walls vs dark walls? maybe in a room with dark ceiling and floor?

your thoughts are much appreciated.

greg

post #193 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM

It looks a bit light to me honestly, but hard to tell on the computer.... maybe pull out some of the darker brown/gold in the swirls on the carpet instead?

Nick
post #194 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Personally, I wouldn't do the walls a light color like that. As crazy as this sounds, I just was looking at carpets and saw that one you picked out. I really like it and it goes with your GOM color, but I think it's too like. My trim is pretty close to yours and I'm leaning towards walls in the red family. Something like that red in your carpet.

You're rooms going to look great. I'm waffling over all my color choices right now myself.
post #195 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Greg, it looks awesome!!!

I thought my room had a lot of PITA woodwork. Yours looks fantastic so far!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #196 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ed - curious what gom's you are looking at. we liked the 2537 in the color called tiger lily but the weave seems to tight since i have speakers behind my gom. my wife had also pulled out the sienna and the bronze in the 701 but they seem pretty red. the other option is black

nick - yeah, it is a bit light. we also looked at the blonde if we go light which is a match for the darker colors in the carpet. it looks like this:

greg

post #197 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Greg,

Brit did his walls a light color like you are proposing with a dark red top portion, and it looks great. He would be a good person to contact with your question.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=655800

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #198 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post

ed - curious what gom's you are looking at. we liked the 2537 in the color called tiger lily but the weave seems to tight since i have speakers behind my gom. my wife had also pulled out the sienna and the bronze in the 701 but they seem pretty red. the other option is black

Greg,

I actually looked at the Anchorage GOM line. I think the color I liked was Mulberry. I think it would work well in your room. Right now I'm leaning toward's a fabric from Joann's Waverly collection called French Quarter Red and Gold. That would be above the chair rail and black below. If we go this route we'll be doing a almost solid color rug. Don't want the room to be too busy.
post #199 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW

I Think the carpet looks good and I really like the trim. It is a very "rich" color to it. I am personally not liking the light colored GOM. The blond in your other post looks much better than the first sample. I still think darker is better and you can pull from the carpet and trim colors and go darker.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #200 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i mentioned this much earlier in the thread but i arrived at the colors by copying my dining room set. i guess i have always pictured it that way so i have to bend my thinking.

g

post #201 of 542 Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

here is the same render but adding the correct carpet and using a darker fabric. my software has trouble with steps but you get the idea.

This is a lighter fabric.

These are the sconces i have. they are an alabaster half cylinder 12" tall.

greg

post #202 of 542 Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Greg,

In my room I have dark colors and the contrast is great on the screen and the walls do not distract at all. A while back I took the curtains down from my window (black velvet with a blackout plug in the window to block light) to hem the bottoms and the black out material on the window plug is white. What was amazing was even with half of the curtains back up (leaving a 4-5' section of white material exposed that is 4' high) the entire room just lit up from the light bouncing off the window area. The window is 90 degrees to the left of the screen and there's probably 6' from the screen edge to the wall where the window is. It was horribly distracting, I couldn't believe how much light washed back into the room. Just another data point to consider.

As a slight caveat I will point out that if you start with a lighter room you won't have anything to compare it to and may never even register the light difference in your mind.

Something you could try as an alternative is to change your render so the front left and right area (I think your speakers are behind there), between the columns by the screen and the columns on the side wall, could be done in black like your screen area. That might be just enough to tone down the distraction. Of course, I don't know if it'll look right either (good thing you have a render to play with).

Mike
post #203 of 542 Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
In my opinion, it's too light. Have you considered trying to match something to the darker brown color in the carpet as opposed to the lighter brown?
post #204 of 542 Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks mike. that is kind of what i suspected. i really hate ambient light when i watch a movie so i am realizing that it would bug me. plus i am looking at the darker renders and liking them now. they look warmer to me. i originally went light because my wife was making a lot of comments about the basement being a cave and not being sure if she would go there but after it was finished and those big windows were installed i think that went away. she is now encouraging me to go dark.

greg

post #205 of 542 Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When is the meet ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #206 of 542 Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow art, i never really thought about doing a meet. you coming down from michigan?

greg

post #207 of 542 Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today i got my entrance put together. i have been staring at it for months trying to decide what would look right. i wanted to light it and have the theater name etc. i was looking at wood letters and it just wasn't working. sometimes when i can't figure something out i throw it out to my wife even when i figure it is not her "thing". she often comes back with something i would have never thought of that is really good. this time she told me that there is a coffee shop across the street with these really cool metal letters. i finally went and looked and they were perfect. they look like this:

the place in indianapolis where i bought them is called houseworks http://www.houseworks.biz/ and the letters are made by http://www.gaugenyc.com/

they don't look special but they really work because you can light them from underneath rather than in front. i have the 2 columns going up the sides of the doorway then over top i just had a piece of cherry plywood sticking out. i also had a switched outlet up there so that i could light the sign.

i put a backboard to hide the framing lumber and built two cherry L shaped pieces on the ends.

then i strung 4 runs of rope light across the bottom of it.

i then covered the back and ends in fidelio. i also put a sheet of plexiglass over the front strand of rope light. it is kind of hard to see but it is 2" deep and has a small wood support behind and in front.

finally i put a plywood top on it and trimmed the top and bottom edges with 1 3/8" door stop moulding. this is tall enough to hide the 1/2" rope light on the bottom. i sat the letters on the plexiglass and turned on the lights.

it looks better in person. i am no photographer. i need to futz with the letters a little but i really like it. i am now ready for stain.

greg

post #208 of 542 Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Greg,

That looks fantastic! Very very well done!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #209 of 542 Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 PM

What was that sound! Why, it must have been my jaw dropping as I read through your thread - wow, wow, Wow! The closest I'll ever get to your level of work is to read your thread on my HT screen. Great space, interesting choices; I'll be watching and learning. Good luck!

My ongoing home theater project, the Shoehorn Theater.
post #210 of 542 Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi Greg,

If you find ambient light and seeing your walls distracting during a movie I would consider going darker. Your screen is going to throw a lot of light back into your room. The darker walls will soak up the light while the lighter wall color will just reflect it, consequently lighting the walls and washing out the color on the screen.

Before I had my GOM up and my sound treatments done the light reflecting off the walls was very distracting when watching a movie.

My walls are GOM chrome green, the screen wall black GOM and my ceiling a Benjamin Moore black. I find the green a nice compromise, dark enough without creating too much of a cave.

But then again......what do I know?

The Mirage Home Theater - Construction
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page