Show us your screen walls - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Mostly everyone here has probably seen my screenwall, but for those who haven't...

140" Wide 2.40:1 SmX ProMask-Curv masking screen.




Ruben

How do you get a nice photo, with detail, in a dark room, without getting wash out from the can lighting, due too the long exposure? I get areas of over exposure. I guess I need to bring in additional lighting and light the room with studio lighting or somthing. Or alot of photoshoping?

GPowers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Mostly everyone here has probably seen my screenwall, but for those who haven't...

140" Wide 2.40:1 SmX ProMask-Curv masking screen.







Ruben

140 diagonal
osofast240sx is offline  
post #453 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

How do you get a nice photo, with detail, in a dark room, without getting wash out from the can lighting, due too the long exposure? I get areas of over exposure. I guess I need to bring in additional lighting and light the room with studio lighting or somthing. Or alot of photoshoping?

I use a very good camera with a very good wide lens, long exposure and low f-stop number with the camera on a good stable tripod triggered remotely so there is no camera shake.

If you use studio lighting or camera flash in the theater it will kill the atmosphere of the theater lighting. All lights were very very low in the theater almost completely dark. It took allot of tweaking of the lights to balance out the star ceiling, tray light, column lights, stage lights and step lights to get a decent balance.

I keep shooting pictures and changing settings until I was pretty happy with it (gotta love digital). It's still not perfect but it serves the purpose.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #454 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post


Looks awesome Ruben. When I see your pics, my jaw drops and I say to myself...someday..

Thanks! Someday? You're already there my friend. Awesome job on yours.

There are allot of really nice theaters here, especially the ones with SmX screens

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #455 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

140 diagonal

????

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #456 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM
 
scottyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: mound,mn,usa
Posts: 3,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx
140 diagonal

????

I think this was supposed to be a question. To answer the question Rueben's description of the screen says 140" WIDE.

Scott
scottyb is offline  
post #457 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shawnwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Thanks! Someday? You're already there my friend. Awesome job on yours.

There are allot of really nice theaters here, especially the ones with SmX screens

Ruben

Thanks Ruben! That SMX place makes some really good screens

shawnwalters is offline  
post #458 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

I use a very good camera with a very good wide lens, long exposure and low f-stop number with the camera on a good stable tripod triggered remotely so there is no camera shake.

If you use studio lighting or camera flash in the theater it will kill the atmosphere of the theater lighting. All lights were very very low in the theater almost completely dark. It took allot of tweaking of the lights to balance out the star ceiling, tray light, column lights, stage lights and step lights to get a decent balance.

I keep shooting pictures and changing settings until I was pretty happy with it (gotta love digital). It's still not perfect but it serves the purpose.

Ruben

SO it was all done with available light, wow. How long was the exposure 10sec plus? And there was no post production processing in a image/photo editor? No color adjustments/balancing nothing?

They are really professional look photos.

As always, Ruben, First Class all the way........
GPowers is offline  
post #459 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shawnwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

SO it was all done with available light, wow. How long was the exposure 10sec plus? And there was no post production processing in a image/photo editor? No color adjustments/balancing nothing?

I'm interested too, mine always come out either pitch black or very washed out.

shawnwalters is offline  
post #460 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sound dropouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No worries. My tweeter height is perfect (about 42" high) and raising my speakers up would adversely effect my mids and highs. And my screen height is perfect for me as well. I don't remember how high it is, but it starts 20 something inches off the floor. I did not lower the screen because then I couldn't have a front row and also then my feet would be in the way when reclined.

Ok. Thanks for the response. from the picture you posted it looks higher than 20 inches. I guess looks can be deceiving.
sound dropouts is offline  
post #461 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

SO it was all done with available light, wow. How long was the exposure 10sec plus? And there was no post production processing in a image/photo editor? No color adjustments/balancing nothing?

They are really professional look photos.

As always, Ruben, First Class all the way........

Thanks! It's a professional camera and lens I use to shoot these. It's not a Point and Shoot camera. Exposure was 25 seconds.

Those are straight raw out the camera. There is no PS coloring or contrasting. Screen shot was captured with lights off with camera on a tripod then composited over the theater shot with the lights on with tripod in same position.

Here is the photo details of one of those pictures.

File Name IMG_1246.JPG
Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.1
Shooting Date/Time 03/01/09 18:54:51
Owner's Name
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 25
Av( Aperture Value ) 3.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Length 10.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Off
Highlight tone priority 0isable
File Size 2184 KB
Dust Delete Data No
Drive Mode Self-Timer Operation
Date/Time(UTC)
Latitude
Longitude
Altitude
Geographic coordinate system

Ruben
________

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #462 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stew4msu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Wylie, Texas, USA
Posts: 7,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Thanks! It's a professional camera and lens I use to shoot these. It's not a Point and Shoot camera. Exposure was 25 seconds.

Those are straight raw out the camera. There is no PS coloring or contrasting. Screen shot was captured with lights off with camera on a tripod then composited over the theater shot with the lights on with tripod in same position.

Here is the photo details of one of those pictures.

File Name IMG_1246.JPG
Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.1
Shooting Date/Time 03/01/09 18:54:51
Owner's Name
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 25
Av( Aperture Value ) 3.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Length 10.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Off
Highlight tone priority 0isable
File Size 2184 KB
Dust Delete Data No
Drive Mode Self-Timer Operation
Date/Time(UTC)
Latitude
Longitude
Altitude
Geographic coordinate system

Ruben
________

So, you're saying I can't get that same shot with my Blackberry?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Stew4msu is offline  
post #463 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

So, you're saying I can't get that same shot with my Blackberry?

No, but maybe with the iPhone

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #464 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Ruben what canon are you now shooting at that screen? last I recall you bought a 777 but then I think I saw mention of a Sim.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #465 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=SandmanX;16315923]Mostly everyone here has probably seen my screenwall, but for those who haven't...

140" Wide 2.40:1 SmX ProMask-Curv masking screen.




This is definitely one of the nicest home theaters I have seen! Great Job! How long did it take you to build Ruben?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #466 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Ruben what canon are you now shooting at that screen? last I recall you bought a 777 but then I think I saw mention of a Sim.

I still have the 777 up there but I have a Sim2 C3X Lumis sitting in a box waiting to be installed.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #467 of 868 Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=Chrisx510;16324296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Mostly everyone here has probably seen my screenwall, but for those who haven't...

This is definitely one of the nicest home theaters I have seen! Great Job! How long did it take you to build Ruben?

Thanks! When is it ever finished? I'd like to say about a year in my free time. Throughout the build there were hurricanes and all sorts of things that delayed the process. We built another very similar theater (bigger room) for a neighbor of mine which took about 30 days.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #468 of 868 Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 AM
Newbie
 
mlwood37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am so jealous of there ... lol . wish i had the money and room ... hehe
mlwood37 is offline  
post #469 of 868 Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
dc_pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Central... PA
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

This is definitely one of the nicest home theaters I have seen! Great Job! How long did it take you to build Ruben?


Chris, look here, its not just a great theater, its documented to the nines:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704
dc_pilgrim is offline  
post #470 of 868 Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
amillians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Bloom County
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

I'm interested too, mine always come out either pitch black or very washed out.

Another technique is HDR photography:

http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/

http://backingwinds.blogspot.com/200...dr-images.html

Basically, bracket your shot (purposefully underexpose and overexpose), blend and then tone map. A package like Photoshop is required, though.

Or hire Ruben.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
amillians is offline  
post #471 of 868 Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
GarenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my 98x54 DIY screen with Cherry accents...





Garen
GarenT is offline  
post #472 of 868 Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenT View Post

Here's my 98x54 DIY screen with Cherry accents...





Garen

Nice. whats the size of your room L x W x H?
osofast240sx is offline  
post #473 of 868 Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
GarenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

Nice. whats the size of your room L x W x H?

Thanks,
The room is 14'-10" x 27', there's another row, and then the equipment racks...
GarenT is offline  
post #474 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oman321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
GarenT,

That is a great looking room. In another thread you mentioned HTB and Isco lens', are you upgrading to 2:35? Are you thinking about DIY again and perhaps AT. What material are you using now for a screen?
oman321 is offline  
post #475 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
GarenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Oman,
Yeah, I can't believe it but I am seriously contemplating ripping that whole screen wall down

I just love the look and feel of scope. It will definitely be DIY & AT. I got some samples from SeymourAV, and I might even do a curved screen just for fun. The carpentry should not be to hard for me and it would look way cool

The screen now is just plain old BO cloth...

I am still looking at the lenses, I want something better than the HTB and can't afford the ISCO so I guess I am stuck with Prismasonic, Panamorph, and Aussie...It may come down to who's lens works best with my placement issues...

Garen
GarenT is offline  
post #476 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oman321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ya, I know it will be tough tearing that nice wall down but it will be worth it. That XD fabric from seymour seems really nice if that's what your looking at. The new Aussie lens seems really nice also and shows a lot of promise for manageable cost, though the Prismasonic has become more affordable recently. Good luck, hope you start a thread for the upgrade.
oman321 is offline  
post #477 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Member
 
CTsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here I have a 16x9 DIY 120 screen.


CTsan is offline  
post #478 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTsan View Post

Here I have a 16x9 DIY 120 screen.




3 words chuck.
Elegant...... Elegant..... Elegant.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #479 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTsan View Post

Here I have a 16x9 DIY 120 screen.


Love all the molding.
GPowers is offline  
post #480 of 868 Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Member
 
CTsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

3 words chuck.
Elegant...... Elegant..... Elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

Love all the molding.

Thanks guys! I was thinking of surrounding the screen in black GOM but my wife was just not up for that. She had some kind of wainscoting in mind and this is what I came upI have to say she was right!
CTsan is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off