post #182 of 876 Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdoberman View Post

What is going on the right side of your ceiling? Is that a false ceiling?

I have 9' ceilings in the basement. The left side has heating duct runs so the finished ceiling height is 8'. On the right side I put double drywall at the 9' level for sound isolation (RSIC and Greenglue) and then built the false ceiling underneath to match the left side. The whole false area is filled with regular insulation and then 2" of rigid OC703 fiberglass. I left the area open that you see in the picture and covered it with GOM. This makes the whole right false ceiling area act as a bass trap.
post #183 of 876 Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cubesys,
Nice room! I like the 2.35 screen with the black (dark?) ceiling and lighting. Your room looks classy.
post #184 of 876 Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a wonderful thread! I am sure many of you are placing big subs behind the screen/faux wall. Do you think the subs and screen have a considerable effect on each other:

- After faux wall and (non AT) large screen are mounted, is the subs behavour/FR affected?
- What about screen? Is there any flutter/vibration? Which technique do you use for DYIing the screens and framing?

Thanks for helping!
post #185 of 876 Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Very nice. Anyone ever do a DIY screen with a brick wall?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #186 of 876 Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 AM

My screen wall is all black GOM and so is a the kind of black hole that does not photograph well. The celing looks black but is actually a very dark blue. It has the same effect as black while being a little warmer.

See the link below for a larger image.

-----------------------------------------

post #187 of 876 Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Liked: 13
The screen is a 92" da-lite. With a 50" Samsung 5054 behind it.
[IMG][/IMG]
post #188 of 876 Old 12-22-2007, 04:52 PM

This is mine, The room Is small 11x12 the screen size is 89" diagonal. I am going to stain the wood Mahogany or dark cherry to go with the red theme. I left enough room on the left to put 1" thick fabric covered linacoustic panels.
LL
post #189 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here is my 100"x42" AT SMX screen. I use an Optoma 79HD and an Aussiemprphic lens from CAVX.

The sealed subs in front are Adire Tumults powered by (4) QSC 1450's bridged mono. The mains are DIY from HT Guide forum, the WTMW. The surrounds are also HT Guide , the Mark K's RS28a/RS225 wall mounted and slimmed cabinet depth.The mains are powered by Outlaw Audio M-200's and the surrounds are powered by Behringer a500's.

zuluwalker likes this.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #190 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Can we see and hear some more about the diffuser in this pic? Did you make them yourself (out of wood)? How deep are they? How are they affixed to the wall? How far away are they from your seating position? Do you feel like they make a noticeable difference? Why did you choose them over absorption?

Lot of questions, sorry about that

Thanks,

Marshall

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at
, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel:
post #191 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

They are made of styrofoam.DIY of course.They range fron 1" to 7" deep. Their depth is totally random and each is different as they are cut by hand.

The front of the room is mostly absorbers and the rear are mostly diffusers ( no real first reflection points in the rear). I like the rooms natural sound.Your voice just hangs out and lacks any coloring or reverb.

The room is 13.5' x 15.5' , it's a rather small room ( 1875 cu ft )

KG

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #192 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_MSP View Post

Here is my screen wall at what I would consider to be about a 95% completion rate...for this phase at least. The screen going up is a 110" 16:9 Carada Brilliant White Precision model.

I'm new at this photostitching thing so my apologies for the less-than-stellar quality.

I personally like the customary sweeper in the picture.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #193 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are made of styrofoam.DIY of course.They range fron 1" to 7" deep. Their depth is totally random and each is different as they are cut by hand.

So you used the pink/blue Styrofoam stuff from Home Depot?

Also, what's everyone's opinion of calculators like this:
http://www.mhsoft.nl/DiffusorCalculator.html

Is it better than the "Random" approach?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at
, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel:
post #194 of 876 Old 12-23-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I felt that the random nature of my design gives enough diffusion. Yes , it's the blue stuff.

KG

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #195 of 876 Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 AM

Hello and Merry Christmas!
This is a great thread - I am in a bit of a pickle currently - theater space is in final drywall stages, with prewiring and everything done - and I do not yet have a design for the screen wall. I'm looking for a built-in look, where front and center channel speakers are hidden from view. I have been to several 'big screen' type retailers and even a\\v installers, and have come up with nothing that will accomodate a 100 or 106" screen.

Any more pix, with any kind of hidden speaker designs, is mucho appreciated.

Specsix - I think you have what I'm going for, do you have any more pix of your room?

jp
post #196 of 876 Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
jp, plenty of ideas here. Pick one you like and ask a bunch of questions.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #197 of 876 Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Thank you Bud! I see that Blazing Ridge has the same width - 11.5' - as I do. I think what you have there would work out great in my situation. Good thing I have some time off now to go through your thread more closely, but not too much more before trim and carpeting gets done. Perfect time for end of year vacation.
Not to hijack this thread, I will post questions in the BR thread after I read it.

Merry Christmas!

jp
post #198 of 876 Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

jp, make sure you take a look at my index (it'll put you in the right ballpark in the thread) and photo albums for the stage.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #199 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bud, you actually made an index for your thread? Wow, that's a great idea that others need to follow! I know it would have been nice if Ruben could have done that as well!

Scott

post #200 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Stewart Filmscreen Luxus Model A (electrical retracting screen), Firehawk G3 w/ 128.5" Diagonal with a 1.59 seating distance to screen width ratio.

Taken from the seating position:

Taken from the back of the room:

Taken with the screen up:

To give a sense of the screen proportion in terms of the seating position:

zuluwalker likes this.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

post #201 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Here is my 100"x42" AT SMX screen. I use an Optoma 79HD and an Aussiemprphic lens from CAVX.

The sealed subs in front are Adire Tumults powered by (4) QSC 1450's bridged mono. The mains are DIY from HT Guide forum, the WTMW. The surrounds are also HT Guide , the Mark K's RS28a/RS225 wall mounted and slimmed cabinet depth.The mains are powered by Outlaw Audio M-200's and the surrounds are powered by Behringer a500's.

Cool man! When did you do the AT screen? I love mine.
post #202 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Nice room QuequeCumber. I have a question about you subs. How do you like the Revels with music. And, do they have enough low end slam for home theater. Thanks.
post #203 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 PM

zuluwalker likes this.
post #204 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lomax View Post

Wow. Nice job!

Any chance for a few more well-lit closeups of the sides with panels off an on?

Is the center behind the screen?
post #205 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

Nice room QuequeCumber. I have a question about you subs. How do you like the Revels with music. And, do they have enough low end slam for home theater. Thanks.

They are great with music. That is the particular reason I bought them in the first place. They are tight and go down low (sexual innuendoes need not apply). My room's priority is music first and home theater second.

The subs give me enough slam. I can always fine tune the subs themselves (volume control, switching from "music" to "film" mode via a switch or trigger, etc) if I want to give them some extra juice. So far I haven't needed to switch to "film" mode. In fact, I tried it out last night and switched it back to "music" mode again (the mode I balanced the settings for on the Meridian 861) because it was disproportionate to the rest of the frequency response if I left it in "film" mode. The option is always there though for people who like more "boom," as many people do as they get older and their low frequency hearing fades...

They also have built in Parametric Equalization, so you can tailor the bass curve to fit your hearing if you feel the need. In depth phase adjustment, crossovers, etc, etc. I can't say enough good things about the higher end Revel subs...

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

post #206 of 876 Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Bud, you actually made an index for your thread? Wow, that's a great idea that others need to follow! I know it would have been nice if Ruben could have done that as well!

Scott,

I had a lot of questions and thought it would be easier for people (and myself) to find stuff. It's in the first post of my thread. Took me like two days to do it!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #207 of 876 Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post

Wow. Nice job!

Any chance for a few more well-lit closeups of the sides with panels off an on?

Is the center behind the screen?

Yes the center is behind the screen, the fronts are in the enclosures on either side of it. I have a couple close ups on file, I'll get some with the panels off later.

post #208 of 876 Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 AM

any new ones? GREAT THREAD!
post #209 of 876 Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Liked: 15
Theater front view:

158" Curve screen:

post #210 of 876 Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Liked: 14
zuluwalker likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page