Bocapimp's Home Theater Construction Has Begun! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, what’s up im Derek, been on the forum a while but have started my theater about 2 weeks running around crazy with everything so far getting done pretty fast, right now we are about 2 weeks into it and as you can see risor is done (did it short because of room size but yet tall enough not to block your view. Also finished stage and side columns, there wont be any rear due to room size and positioning of doors in room, that i will be having to mount them to the wall and angle them downward to the seats. If your asking what the walls will look like, I decided to go GOM 701 fabric so one wall is still bare and not touched. As you can see I went with Quiterock 530 drywall on the one wall that connects to the inner of the house, the rest are all exterior, and like most houses in Florida pure cinderblock about 1/4th of a inch behind the drywall and insulation. So no go on running any wires in those walls or such, plus the window factor of the frames.

So quick facts would be the room size of 19.5x14.5x14, that’s right its got 12 foot ceilings currently white and was thinking of leaving it white didn’t want to mess with the ceiling, only if I HAD to.

The theater door is missing, it will be getting a Safe and Sound, solid core door (on back order right now) with a exterior weather guard stripping and even a automatic bottom sealer for when the door is closed to keep as much sound in the room as possible.

Please don’t post any construction comments, because im not going to change windows or doors or anything, the room needs to stay the way it is, I just need to work around that, and get it to be a better theater room using other ways.

Equipment List
- Projector : Sony Vpl-Vw50
- Pre Amp : Outlaw 990
- Amps (4) : Crown xti1000
- Sub's Amp : Klipsch THX ultra 2 Sub Amp
- Speakers : Klipsch THX ultra 2 - 7.1 -
- Radiient HDMI swticher
- Htpc-696 - Cellar Cinemas
- Buttkicker Amp (1 unit)
- Sony BDP-S1 - Blue Ray Player
- Toshiba HD- XA2 (demo HD DVD 1080p Unit)
- Rack Middle Atlantic 5-43 70', 47 spaces

Current Remote on hand MX-3000, but looking to change to the Cinemar system and use the Samsung Q1 as the remote, please leave ur comments on this change..

Other Need to know Information
-FabricMate Track for all walls, with Linacoustic 1' behind it 4 feet up, then batting to the celing. Covered in GOM 701 Black Fabric

-Hunter Douglas IR Auto black out Shades- (Covering each window)

Any Comments, Questions or HELP, are more then welcome.. and belive me i can use all the help i can get..

And Now the Pictures
Enterance (missing door)

Stage

Right Wall

Rear Wall (sorry about the cut off its part of the other picture)

Equipment Room (dont worry about the heat, the closet has its own AC Vent and Return Vent)

The white problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 12-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Best of luck on the HT! Looks like youve got it rolling already.

Nice equipment! Ive always like Klipsch speakers. I'm jealous of your Klipsch sub. I have the Klipsch KSW-12 that I really like, but would love to have the THX model.

Can you shove the entrance door over a few feet to the left? Looks like the stage area impedes it somewhat.
post #3 of 117 Old 12-30-2006, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

the stage sticks out about 5 inches in to the door way, but it was the only way to really get it to work otherwise i would of had to change the whole idea, ive thought that once i get the screen up if i can cut back on the stage a lil bit i will and get it closer in the room, guess we will have to wait and see

thanks, i cant wait for the subs and rest of the speakers to show, up hopefully UPS will keep there date of 1/3.06.. cant wait..
post #4 of 117 Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM

Yea, what I was suggesting was that you cut a hole in your wall and move the door frame over a bit more, or is that not possible (or outside your comfort zone)?

I'll look forward to reading about how much you like your speakers when you get them hooked up!
post #5 of 117 Old 12-31-2006, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Not sure about lincoustics height but I think its directly related to height of speakers and height of the head in the seating, hopefully someone answers this.

Pretty sure youre going to want absorbers at first reflections on ceiling ( if there are any with that ceiling height ) but sit in your seats and have someone run a mirror accross the ceiling and if you see your speakers in the mirror, you will need sound treatment panels there if you see them.

The white ceiling is going to cause problems, maybe not with the Firehawk (maybe moreso)

Basically a bright white ceiling in a room with a projector and screen will light up like you have fluoresant lights on (a 14' x 18' light to be exact) and this will effect the picture drastically atleast on a Stewart Studiotek screen, maybe Firehawks are differant but I doubt it. The other effect you will get is that you are watching a movie with the lights on during day light scenes. Very distracting.

Bass trapping looks to be difficult, hopefully someone can help ( stuffing riser, opening window) not sure your neighbors would appreciate the window trap trick but........ looks like youre limited.

Cinemar should work well for you since youre basically using the same equiptment as Ruben and hes having good luck with Cinemar.

Can you shoot more pictures of the "windows" wall, you told me 7 windows, can you take a picture of the middle of that wall?
post #6 of 117 Old 12-31-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mark,

Still haven't gotten to talk to ruben bout cinemar, hopefully i will before i run out
of patients and get fed up and just stick with the mx3000.. hehe (gotta love ADD.. )
i did find out that rubens monster power is about $800 roughly and only $200 more
im going to trade in my panamax 550 for that unit this week, then we will have even more
of a like system, hopefully i can talk to him soon and get his thoughts on this..

as far as bass trapping i think i can fit one in the left corner if possible and if that would help.

whats the Window Trap Trick? i gotta be real carful if its anything outside of the house because of the strict HOA laws in the community.

I also dont have the normal firehawk screen i have the new one formulated for the Pearl projector and from when i talked to sony, they told me that when they tested it with that screen and the room had even white ceiling, they saw no problems, but only time will tell.

the wall i was referring to has 5 windows not 7, maybe the late night hours made you forget what i said.. lol.. but its 5 windows and you can kinda see it in these pics, its the wall with the ladder on it. basically 2 windows on either side, and one window in the center, all will be getting the HD shades.

5 Window Wall before installs..
post #7 of 117 Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
BocaPimp,
Thanx for your inquiry into Cinemar software. Nice theater project!
What might be of interest is that a group of Cinemar customers recently worked with Cinemar to get a Ruby TCP plugin working.
Let us know if you need additional information about using a UMPC (or other) and Cinemar software to control your new project.

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #8 of 117 Old 12-31-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

so the Ruby plug in works on the Pearl?

yea im thinking of using the Samsung Q1 with the Main Lobby software, i will be in contact with you guys if your open tommarow and or tuesday, need to get a list together of what i need..
post #9 of 117 Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys i have made some changes today.. big life changes..

change #1 - SMX 2:35:1 Curved Screen (Hopefully comming soon thanks to good ole ruben!!)
change #2 - bye bye mx3000.. HELLO SAMSUNG Q1.. & CINEMAR (comming soon)
change #3 - no more door blocking stage.."ITS CLOBERIN TIME" - NEW STAGE!
change #4- Monster HTPS 7000 replaces Panamax 550
post #10 of 117 Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a white ceiling in my theater, and while its not 'optimal', it isn't the end of the world either.

My picture is great and the ceiling isn't distracting........

Just my .02 cents
post #11 of 117 Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Willis View Post

I have a white ceiling in my theater, and while its not 'optimal', it isn't the end of the world either.

My picture is great and the ceiling isn't distracting........

Just my .02 cents

Not familiar with blackout cloth screen but he had mentioned a Firehawk, my experience comes from projecting 2200 lumens into a Studiotek 1.3 and even with white sheetrock ( not painted) I saw a huge difference between that and dark burgandy. When bright daylight scenes hit the screen I found it VERY distracting when the whole room flashed brightly and gain screens dont like light reflected on them. Even with SmX he'll notice washout from reflection of light since it even has gain.

Not sure what the Pearl lumens are either. Is blackout cloth audio transparent and does a huge % of the light pass through it?
post #12 of 117 Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

wow my post fell to the back fast...

Update for 1/11/2007

Old Stage is gone, new frame out for the 10foot giant is comming well should be finished
by tommarow, (i hope, helper called in sick for this morning)

more updated soon..
post #13 of 117 Old 01-13-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

well got alot done this week, new stage is in place, also stuffed with 2 yards of sand, black out tint on the sliders, new door went up, and now carpet will be going back in tommarow morning.

The New Stage

The new door
post #14 of 117 Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Almost Forgot, knocked out those back french doors, and even put in a hide out for my projector ( yes dont worry HVAC will be going in the cubby hole next week)

as you can also see we threw up another layer of 5/8 all around, with green glue to help with the sound leaking out, just to make sure its quite on the other side.

post #15 of 117 Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

im planning on running Cat 5 thru the walls into the room, and maby through out the house, whhich is hte best cat5 cable to run, was checking out cables for less and they have so many options of cat 5 cables, i have no clue which one i need, need your help guys. i also wanna run speaker cable through the same path, which products are best to use?

thanks
post #16 of 117 Old 01-16-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd use cat5e or cat6, personally, I think cat6 is overkill as 3 hd streams will barely saturate a 100mb line, so, the 1gb line speed of cat5e seems very future proof to me, and the cost cant be beat.

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #17 of 117 Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Cat5e is what i mostly see. so im gonna order that and ill also run some RS232 for my projector. as long as im running wire.
post #18 of 117 Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Another big change comming through

HD 81 projector comming through tommarow i cant wait.. so excited i cant sleep!!
post #19 of 117 Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

ITS HERE THE NEW HD81.. CANT WAIT TO GET THIS BABY MOUNTED AND READY TO GO

post #20 of 117 Old 02-04-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, well i have enlisted the help of the SANDMANX, for a total redesign and help with the build out of my theater, this is #3, and i promise to my self this is going to be the last one, first we started ripping out all the old junk and stuff we cant use, which was the screen wall (aka. ticket booth) then we ripped out the platform (riser) and then we also scrapped the no good metal 80lb PJ box, the contractors who i hired had no idea what they were doing, i wasted almost $3k on garbage i have nothing to show for. The PJ box they made out of wood and metal studs then even covered it in mud, the thing was a metal tank the PJ would of sure set on fire in there.

but now with SandmanX help and a new crew of guys who also worked on SandmanX's theater I am on the way to hopefully with in this century watching a movie in my theater.

Trash Pile

BYE BYE!!

We started the soffit today, its 1 foot high by 2 foot wide, will feature a light tray and be wrapped in GOM 701, also will have a funning strip of veneer to hold the 12 lights that go around it.

Also i started a new list, of that we will be doing to get this project done
hopefully im thinkning 3 weeks to get it all done..

1. Remove old frame on stage
2. Insulate and cover top 6 windows
3. Remove and disconnect wiring for fan
4. Remove all crown and base trim
5. Rebuild platform and install all conduit
6. Rebuild steps and install lighting
7. Install all necessary low voltage wiring
8. Run 3 new 110 lines from main box in garage
9. Redesign and build new stage for curved screen, veneer upper lip, install 5 lights
10. Install return for HVAC in room on ceiling, also move A/c Vents
11. Install black base
12. Build custom projector box with ventilation
13. Install Grafik eye, wire up all 6 szones
14. Build soffits, stuff with cotton paper face and cover with cloth
15. Install all sound treatments in room
16. Custom build panels and install in room coving all walls
17. Finish building speaker columns and install speakers
18. Install all lighting talked about, such as stage lights, coloum lights, rope lights,
soffit lights, and stage lights (to light up the speakers behind the screen)

quite a list, but if we all work on this, and have all supplies easy to find (no thanks to home depot, then it should run smooth (knock on wood)
post #21 of 117 Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Im guessing the Superbowl grand opening is off then?
post #22 of 117 Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Im guessing the Superbowl grand opening is off then?

You're quite astute today Mark. ^_^;
post #23 of 117 Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Just today Chirpie,...................just today
post #24 of 117 Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Pimp - are you going to cover the MDF soffits with drywall?

post #25 of 117 Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

No need to do that, most people just fabric wrap them, no need for the extra expense and time, and you wouldnt want that weight hanging off the ceiling. The Soffits will get Fabric Wrapped and a Veneer strip to the lighting running around the room, 12 lights total

Mark P- yea we missed the superbowl deadline, now we are looking into the first week in march, which still inst that bad considering i started all this in December, and had to tear it all down three times, Hehe.. with the new helper i have, and god willing homedepot having good stock in supplies we shouldnt have to push it back again.. fingers crossed!
post #26 of 117 Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, BocaPimp had the worst carpentry done I ever saw. They teach you in Junior High School wood shop not to do the things that his carpenters done. So we are going to do the job for him the right way now.

It doesn't pay to cut ends on construction not knowing what your doing. Everything he had done had to be ripped out and done again. You can always easily change equipment later on down the road but once the room is done, you pretty much have to live with it forever.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #27 of 117 Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

No, they are going to get wrapped with GoM. The soffits were put in to be used as bass traps as well as a light tray. They will be filled with Ultra Touch Cotton and paper faced to help absorb bass but still reflect highs.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #28 of 117 Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well i haven't posted any of the renders that i am working on with Chirpie, but here are the LATEST ones, I am having a little problem deciding wether we should build these rear columns, the only reason there small and not going to the floor is because we don't have the 9in to push the rear row forward, so instead chirpie came up with these.. what do you guys think?

Let me know what you think? To Build or Not to Build?
post #29 of 117 Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I like that idea if you really want columns, what's throwing me off I think is the point where the black grill cloth starts on the mini columns. Maybe we can see a pic of those rear columns just being all black, I think it would blend in a little better.

How did you manage to recruit SandmanX, your sure to have a fine theather. Just be sure to post lots of pic's. Good luck.
post #30 of 117 Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would do something more like a vertically flexed board column. It would act as a nice diffuser as well, if part of it was solid. Might look kind of cool to have hidden rope lighting along the sides of the columns, so they act like sconces too. Have chirpie throw a render together and see what it looks like. Now you got ME thinking of making them.

Also, the HD81 has a huge offset, so you won't even come close to mounting it that low to the floor.
LL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page