stars on the ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently in one of my visits to Evolution ( A shop that sells Home theater equipments ), I saw a theater room setup with tiny twinkling star effects on the ceiling. It felt just as if one is sitting under the open sky in the night.
Unfortunately it was not something they were selling and the salesman could not tell me who the third party company was, who did it for them.

This looked like some kind of tiles that you paste on the ceiling. The star effect was teh result of some kind of tiny fiber optic wires that periordically lights on and off.

I would very much like to get that in the Basement home theater Im currently constructing.

With no leads to what it was Im at a dead end.
Will somebody here please give some pointers to what it was and how/where I can buy/install them.
Thank you very much
--nw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Norris.

Take a look/search through one or more of the following threads" Swithey, Sandman, Rooster, and BritinVA. Detailed pictures on how to and where to get the stuff is included.

Maybe one of these guys will chime in here and point you in the right direction.

Bud
post #3 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

I bought my star tiles from Numinus.com. I definitely recommend them for their service and quality. Keep in mind that pre-fabricated tiles like these aren't the way to go for a "budget" solution. This was one of the areas where I had to pay a bit more to get the effect and quality I was looking for. Other companies have panels like this (e.g., Acoustic Innovations), but they are typically part of an overall theater installation (not something you buy on its own as a standalone product).

jj
post #4 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

jeffthx:
Star tiles is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks a million Sir.
Now did you say that some numinus dealer sold the tiles to you ?
Im more interested in ( because I dont want to spent tons of money for installing something simple ) buying the tiles and doing it myself.

Thanks once again.
--nw
post #5 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

The person at Numinus with whom I dealt was Lisa. Very easy to deal with. I bought the tiles a year and a half ago, and I got a Christmas card from them this year (just one of those touches that indicates a higher level of customer service).

Anyway, I bought the tiles from them as a pre-fab item. It was up to me to actually install them. First I had to figure out the best way to put them up. They are meant to be installed in a drop ceiling, so I had to come up with a way to cleanly mount them onto my ceiling without making it look like it was rigged up by a beginner (which I am).

When I added up the cost of buying an illuminator, fiber, etc., I paid about 30% more than that for the pre-made panels. In the end, after all of the other costs of building the theater, this really was a small price to pay not to have to build the panels myself.

jj
post #6 of 14 Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again:
I read your response multiple times. I guess Im confused between the words "pre fab item" and "pre made panel".

Im also looking at it for teh ceiling. But my ceiling is not drop down. ( But a tray type )

From their web site all I saw was panels ( comes in 2x2 sized tiles and 4x8 sized panels - I assumed that you will use teh tiles for teh ceiling and panels for teh wall. ).

Both of them come with the optical wires fit in ( with stars ). ( Although you can get them without the stars as well ).

Were you saying that you bought them without the stars and them made the stars yourself ?

If I buy the tiles with teh stars, what else will I need, other than the splitters and the anchors ?
Thanks again

--nw
post #7 of 14 Old 12-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I read your response multiple times. I guess Im confused between the words "pre fab item" and "pre made panel".

Don't overthink this. I mean the terms interchangeably. The panels I bought were 100% complete. All I had to do was mount them and plug them in.

You'll want to contact them directly to find out for sure what the options are, etc. I bought mine 18 months ago, so they could have changed their product line, pricing, etc., since then.

jj
post #8 of 14 Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DIY of these panels need not be complicated, expensive or time consuming. You can see mine in my thread at post #535.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #9 of 14 Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 PM

where do you buy the optic fibers for cheap?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougi3000 View Post

where do you buy the optic fibers for cheap?

i found them on google...

but when it came down to it, i ended up doing remote dimmers for lighting
post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

You know, after looking at a lot of examples - I think I'll be making my own star ceiling for my home theater (when I get the chance to start my home theater of course...). They just look too goddam cool.

Personally I think they look easy to make from scratch - take a giant board, drill holes, paint, run fiber, hook up, done. Should be a fun project
post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

By the way I wont be able to afford numinus. They cost approx 60$/sq foot even when I install myself.
Later on I will also try to do a DIY project.
Agree, starts on the ceiling are really cool
--nw
post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Norris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by norris_watkins View Post

Thanks again:

Im also looking at it for teh ceiling. But my ceiling is not drop down. ( But a tray type )

From their web site all I saw was panels ( comes in 2x2 sized tiles and 4x8 sized panels - I assumed that you will use teh tiles for teh ceiling and panels for teh wall. ).

Both of them come with the optical wires fit in ( with stars ). ( Although you can get them without the stars as well ).

Were you saying that you bought them without the stars and them made the stars yourself ?

If I buy the tiles with teh stars, what else will I need, other than the splitters and the anchors ?
Thanks again

--nw

We are new dealers of Numinus products in the Twin Cities area. Numinus also makes star tiles in 4x4 and 2x4 sizes. We can add shooting stars to the tiles which add a cool touch! If tiles are not affordable, perhaps the rotunda star domes may be more affordable. The entry level rotunda is a 2 foot round starting at $810.00 MSRP. These domes are hand painted, and can come with extras such as a moon, shooting stars and a Lutron hands off sequencer.

Marc Ye
post #14 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One tip.....use a low heat glue gun with the fibers. The high heat ones started to melt the fibers.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page