Door to HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here and we are starting to construct interior walls for our home theater this coming week. I was going to have our closet door walled in and use that same door as the entrance to our HT.

The door that will be used for our entrance to our HT is a 3' birch door that is slightly stained to a darker shade. The entrance door will be behind the seating and projector. In fact, there will be a back aisle between the back row of seats and the door. The room is appx width 15' 9" by length 23' 4".

After reading some of the posts here I read a blurb that the door should be an exterior door with weather trimming instead.

My question is how much of a big deal is it using a wooden birch door as entrance to my HT? Should I have the door painted the same flat color as the walls in the HT or can I leave it as is? Should I put weather stripping on the bottom edge?

In a related question, is there a problem with leaving our birch wood mop boards as bottom wall trim in the HT?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any solid core door will work. You should use airtight seals all the way around, or you won't get the (modest) sound isolation gain in going from a hollow-core door to a solid door.

Regards,
Terry

Terry Montlick Laboratories
Home Theater Acoustics
Critical Listening Rooms
Design, Evaluation, Alpha Certification®

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrikes View Post

In a related question, is there a problem with leaving our birch wood mop boards as bottom wall trim in the HT?

That shouldn't be a problem if it is just basic trim along the bottom of the wall.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page