Wrapping G.O.M. around light tray corner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone have experience with fabric techinques for covering G.O.M. around 90 degree corners? In my new theater I plan on wrapping the MDF soffit light tray with G.O.M. to finish it.

Here is a google sketchup of one corner:

Heres a picture of the actual corner ready for G.O.M. covering.

Here is a sketchup of the MDF tray with both 90 degree bends.

Any techinques would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I did mine. I started on the wall side (that seam hidden by crown molding) and pulled it up and over, stapling it on the inside of the trey. 90 degrees are tricky. Did you plan on linacoustic or anything on the bottom of the soffit? I actually used fabricmate tracks where the GOM seams meet. Works well and requires minimum track. The issue there is the tracks are 1" deep, so you have to account for that 1". Since I was going to use linacoustic originally under the soffits, I had taken that into consideration.

Here's a shot of the track in place where two seams will meet. It's held up with screws and construction adhesive.
http://images17.fotki.com/v293/photo...00_0631-vi.jpg

Bud
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The way I did mine was with wood furring strips. I placed a thin drywall knife inbetween them while fastening them to the soffit. Later when I did the fabric I followed the same procedure ChinaDog did, except I stuffed the fabric into the thin gap with the same drywall knife used to create the gap. You can get different thickness of furring strips with Fabricmate your limited to 1/2 and 1" thickness.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Did you plan on linacoustic or anything on the bottom of the soffit? I actually used fabricmate tracks where the GOM seams meet. Works well and requires minimum track. The issue there is the tracks are 1" deep, so you have to account for that 1". Since I was going to use linacoustic originally under the soffits, I had taken that into consideration.

Thanks Bud for the pic and reply. No I am not planning on the 1" Linacoustic on the bottom of the soffit. Based on my calculations the underside of the soffit extends only about 8" from the front of the speakers which I hope will cause any first reflections to occur well in front of the seating. This decision is also due to the P.I.T.A. factor of getting the Linacoustic on the bottom of the soffits as well. Same with the entry wall and closet walls.

I am thinking that I might just go with quarter round on the inside 90 degree vertical corners. I will probably start with the fabric on the bottom and wrap them up, cutting the fabric at the 90 degree joints and cover the cuts with quarter round that is painted the same red as the GOM. Yet to figure out is the technique for getting a clean seam on the door entry wall. I hear that thin cardboard strips stapeled in from underneath and then the fabric stretched over itself hides the stapes and produces a clean edge. All other walls fortunately will have the 1" panels to hide the rough staple edge.

Thanks for your replies.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page