carpet or baseboard first? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate to ask but no one at work can tell me. Should I put my baseboard down first or wait till the carpet is installed. I was thinking baseboard first but have been told both ways by a few people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Baseboard....
post #3 of 16 Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm12 View Post

I hate to ask but no one at work can tell me. Should I put my baseboard down first or wait till the carpet is installed. I was thinking baseboard first but have been told both ways by a few people.

Painters (usually) prefer to fill/paint the baseboards before the carpet goes down

Carpet guys generally don't care, but usually prefer the baseboards be on first so they can make sure their edge-cuts are hidden properly.

Carpenters generally don't care, but if you're doing it yourself you'll probably find it easier to do baseboards after the carpet is in.

real world answer: It depends who gets to the jobsite first

Taking off is optional. Landing is not.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 AM

Baseboard first. Then you can patch nail holes and touch up the paint without having to worry about getting it all over your new carpet. Leave about 1/2" gap between the floor and bottom of the baseboard when installing it. This leaves a decent gap for the carpet to be tucked into.

My theater build is like a fine wine... aging for a long time, but well worth the wait.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 AM

It's your call. I would do the carpet last, just before I'm ready to bring in the seats. Did you happen see the post where one guy finished his baseboards, then the carpet installers brutalized them during the installation?

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #6 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Pushing baseboard down over plush carpet can be a difficult task. Especially if you have long runs. Installing baseboard on first and putting a 3/4 inch piece of wood underneath as a guide makes installation a breeze.

My vote is BB first.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also recall that it has to do with the tack board they fasten to the floor. They need to bring it out far enough so it does not end up under the baseboard. Otherwise, it becomes more difficult to remove the carpet later. If the baseboard is mounted first this won't be a problem, but if it is mounted later they may not have left enough clearance.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. That makes me feel better in what to do next. Baseboard will go on first. Thanks again.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Liked: 14
I always thought that 3/8" was the height to mount baseboards...I'm hearing 1/2" and 3/4"... is there a standard?

I was told my my carpet installer to wait until the carpet was installed because they generally rough up the trim when installing carpet, he said it didn't really matter but he preferred to have the trim off.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

I always thought that 3/8" was the height to mount baseboards...I'm hearing 1/2" and 3/4"... is there a standard?

I was told my my carpet installer to wait until the carpet was installed because they generally rough up the trim when installing carpet, he said it didn't really matter but he preferred to have the trim off.

You can use a piece of base (usually 3/8" thick). Sometimes the floor isn't perfectly level and your base may end up close to 1/2 up which is ok too. 3/4 is pushing it and dending on how plush the carpet is it may be cutting it a little too close.

Your carpet installer may be doing things wrong if he's beating up the baseboard. He's telling you to leave it off so he can fly thought it. No offense, but he sounds like a little bit of a hack.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Height of baseboards and distance of tack strip from wall or baseboard is solely determined by the carpet type/thickness....the carpet store/installer/manufacturer can tell you the recommended baseboard height for that type of carpet.

They should go in first, and a real carpet installer should never "brutalize them"....thats ****** work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 PM

If this is a basement and you are installing Dri-core, they recommend installing the baseboard after the flooring is in place (and leaving a 1/8" gap for air flow).
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM

I just asked this same question to the carpet installation estimator at my HT the other day. He said the baseboard is part of the system that holds the carpet to the tack strips. I wanted to put the baseboard in first and asked him why they do this at new housing. He said that the finisher did this because he did not want to have to come back to the house after the flooring is put in. He said that without the baseboards the tack strips go closer to the walls and that the baseboard holds the carpet onto the tack strips. Makes sense to me...

Brendin
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post

He said that without the baseboards the tack strips go closer to the walls and that the baseboard holds the carpet onto the tack strips. Makes sense to me...

This is what makes this stuff a pain when you aren't in the business yourself. I was told that it was bad to have the tack strip under the baseboard because it is difficult to get the carpet out if/when it needs to be replaced. Having the tack strip in front of the baseboard still holds it in place while allowing the carpet to be tucked under the baseboard. That made sense to me too...

Is it this subjective? Anyone here actually in the business of laying carpet that can explain?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post

... He said that without the baseboards the tack strips go closer to the walls and that the baseboard holds the carpet onto the tack strips...
Brendin

But if the baseboard and tack strip "sandwich" the carpet, how do you remove the carpet without ripping out the baseboard?

I agree with longtimelurker, baseboards first (spaced about 1/2" off the floor) then carpet. If the carpet installer "brutalizes" the baseboards, then he's not a pro.

BTW, only the carpet tucks under the baseboard, not the padding.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
well, i'm not in the carpet business, lol, but I would think i qualify as I had to remodel twice in new orleans (lol, learned my lesson, not there anymore) and at my new home laid about 300 sq ft myself for the game room. I researched and learned a lot before trying it myself (needed tack strip nailed into concrete....not as easy as it sounds) and the local carpet store guys (who were all former installers, now businessmen) gave me pointers....

anyway....is not rocket science....i dont have the formula handy but i think the height of the baseboard off the floor should be about 1/2 the height of the carpet itself. so you see it varies greatly from 1/4 inch junk carpet to FOUR INCH pile $1400/yard carpet at the bellagio garden suites....

The tack strip should be just in front of the baseboard and then the carpet is tucked into the gap (which as said previously is only about 1/2 the uncompressed height of the carpet pile, so thats where you get your "grip", and the carpet is still able to be removed).

The way basebaords get "brutalized" is when they use their carpet tool to just rapidly jam the carpet into the gap, getting it hooked/stretched as quickly as possible to move on to the next job. Bringing it up with a reputable installer beforehand ("please dont damage the baseboards, that is their final finish") should be all that is needed to make sure everyone is on the same page.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

This is what makes this stuff a pain when you aren't in the business yourself. I was told that it was bad to have the tack strip under the baseboard because it is difficult to get the carpet out if/when it needs to be replaced. Having the tack strip in front of the baseboard still holds it in place while allowing the carpet to be tucked under the baseboard. That made sense to me too...

Is it this subjective? Anyone here actually in the business of laying carpet that can explain?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page