post #91 of 111 Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post
Hey nice job Wes, its coming along very very well...

Hope all is well with you.... seems you need some more subs in there.... Well maybe thats the monster in me talking...

Keep up the great work... where are you residing these days...?

Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post
+1
Thanks for the kind words! And you are both right. While the Dyn sub 500 is musical it doesn't have the balls for serious HT reference levels. My plan is the F113 at a minimum as the seem very easy to integrate and I have a nasty room induced null in the bass at the first rom listening position. If I go DIY I will need the SMS 1 or another means for proper integration! When that time comes rest assured I will seek both of your input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAU23 View Post
You have done a great job! Your patiences and attention to detail is impressive. I'm especially impressed by the front of the room and the way you built the bass traps, diffusion, absorbors.

I would love to see what the finish product looks like and what the frequency response looks like. I have to think it's impressive. Thanks for documenting you efforts for the rest of us to learn.
Thanks for the compliments! It has been a long time in the making but it is getting there. As for the frequency response I have not taking measurements yet. The room has no carpet and I have not yet treated the first reflection points on the side walls. Overall right now the room has a lot of echo because of the lack of carpeting, I also know that I have a pretty nasty null in the sub frequency range at the listening position. I am hoping for some comb filtering from the carpet to bump up the lower end of things without messing with any EQ settings. I also need to get a sub that has more room integration capabilities, that or I am going to experiment with sub position once the room is carpeted.

At any rate I appreciate you taking the time to read my build thread and as I make progress I will continue to post pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Well I can tell you with a dedicated 2600 cu ft, you won't need a ton of big subs in there, and your a pretty tried and true flat curve kind of guy from what I recall.... The JL's are nice but I would think you could do better for less expense. Dual 15" drivers come to mind here, maybe some TC LMS-R's would do you more then good in there, maybe one on each midpoint of the side walls ? Should help to nullify the nulls Those drivers are amongst the cleanest and most accurate avail...

Either way looks like you still got your hands full with the build, come on by the DIY if you would like to experiment some ideas
post #93 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Nice build, and welcome back to it. Nice to see that the speaker grill clips are working out for you, I'm considering using them, but was a little worried that they might vibrate - then again, if they use them on speaker grills, probably not.
post #94 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Well I can tell you with a dedicated 2600 cu ft, you won't need a ton of big subs in there, and your a pretty tried and true flat curve kind of guy from what I recall.... The JL's are nice but I would think you could do better for less expense. Dual 15" drivers come to mind here, maybe some TC LMS-R's would do you more then good in there, maybe one on each midpoint of the side walls ? Should help to nullify the nulls Those drivers are amongst the cleanest and most accurate avail...

Either way looks like you still got your hands full with the build, come on by the DIY if you would like to experiment some ideas

Thanks for the input. I am not looking for the last detail in flat measurement, but certainly want a dual purpose sub for music and movies that blends well with the 1.4's.

With proper integration can I expect that from the TC 15's? As I finish my room treatments my focus will switch to the sub and I will delve in to the DIY route for sure! The JL just seemed to offer so much and is so easy!

You had an F112 right? How do you compare it a single DIY driver setup you have experience with?
post #95 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Nice build, and welcome back to it. Nice to see that the speaker grill clips are working out for you, I'm considering using them, but was a little worried that they might vibrate - then again, if they use them on speaker grills, probably not.

With my current modest sub nothing in the room rattles, things in adjacent rooms rattle.... But not in the theater. The grill clips work awesome! I highly recommend them! They do require more work but in the long run I think they are worth it!
post #96 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I used some to mount a grill on my THT sub, I guess if they're not rattling right at the mouth of the sub, they shouldn't be an issue on panels.
post #97 of 111 Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Thanks for the input. I am not looking for the last detail in flat measurement, but certainly want a dual purpose sub for music and movies that blends well with the 1.4's.

With proper integration can I expect that from the TC 15's? As I finish my room treatments my focus will switch to the sub and I will delve in to the DIY route for sure! The JL just seemed to offer so much and is so easy!

You had an F112 right? How do you compare it a single DIY driver setup you have experience with?

Yes, I still have the F112, though its sitting in the basement and is going to a friend that wanted it.... It was replaced by the Submersive, which I got a good deal on and it looks much nicer and digs much deeper for my small bedroom. The JL's are great subs but you can easily match the performance and blending with some top quality drivers. The upper end TC's such as I linked will easily match or exceed the performance of the JL when properly setup. A driver doesn't have to be small to put out great performance, and don't be afraid to xover a bit higher. All the subs I have built over the years were easily comparable to the JL, though the earlier TC-2000 and TC-3000 didn't have as good upper bass, which serves for a better "blending" to the mains product. The LMS-R I linked are very good and extremely accurate with the (Linear Motor Tech) and the 18" LMS's which I use in my great room have good extension even up in the 500-1Khz range, I cross over at 120hz and the sound is phenomenal.

F112 compared to my DIY's - More effort input but performance per $$ is far better.... Subs are much less of a science then speakers which I would never attempt myself... If you can measure your in room response, you shouldn't have much trouble getting amazing results with the right driver/amp/eq. Building it is really not all that hard, but getting the final FR requires measuring and alot of people can't or won't go to those lengths....

A pair of 15" drivers in that small room should easily put out down in the low teens with room gain if properly setup, with an external EQ, and amp.... There are some good plate amps coming out with around 2000w - 4000w peak performance, unless you can tolerate a pro type amp in your rack with generally have fans which may or may not be loud, but cost a bit less then plates.

If you haven't checked out my thread, click below to see my latest concoctions.....
post #98 of 111 Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I have made some much needed progress on the theater room as I have a BIG day coming up tomorrow! CARPET!!!

With that said the screen wall is finished 100% with two layers of fabric and the wall plates painted and put in place. I am so pleased with it's design and simplicity! I KNEW I needed to make everything easily removable and when a cat we just adopted decided to tear the fabric on the screen frame it took me all of 40 minutes to remove the frame and damaged piece, re-upholster it, and re-hang. Glad that worked out.

Here is a view of the screen wall as taken from the theater entrance.

Straight on shot from on top of the riser.

Here is a shot taken from the stage looking back towards the entrance, riser, and equipment rack.

I did have to rebuild one of the riser stairs to make it span further, the way I had it left a gap that was perfect for rolling someone's ankle. Doesn't look like a lot of progress but when you get to finishing touches things seem to take forever.

After carpet I am awaiting the delivery of my back row of seats and will be working on the final piece which is the remainder of the acoustic treatments, as well as the entrance signage.

Feeling really good about being this close to the end!
post #99 of 111 Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Looks great! You're on the home stretch, keep it up. Can't wait to see the finished product. I know you're be done before me!
post #100 of 111 Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I am pleased to say the room is carpeted and man what a difference it makes. We have been using the room without carpeting for over a year and why we waited so long to carpet it I will never know...

View from the theater entrance.

Screen wall view from the second row riser.

View looking back from the stage.

Detail shot of front screen wall terminations.

Screen wall shot from the front row sweet spot.

Happy with the outcome so far. I had to re-do one of the pieces of the screen frame as our new cat decided it was a great scratching post. Good thing I made it removable as I had it apart, re-upholstered, and re-hung in about an hour. I also removed all of the screen wall frames to attach another layer of fabric to the back of the frames, this prevented any of the yellow from the OC 703 from showing through.

I also bought plates and terminations for the screen wall speaker wiring. They did not offer them in black so I had to disassemble, mask, and paint them. I also used tech flex on all the wiring to give it a more finished look.

Next up will be first reflection absorbers!
post #101 of 111 Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM

post #102 of 111 Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post

Carpet looks great!

Thanks! I took the arms off the front seats and relegated them to the back row!!! My new front row arrives tomorrow and I can't wait! Picked up a set of Berklines from Roman in black leather that are the same styling as the existing seats! Straight row of 4 with a love seat in the middle and power recline!

Roman rocks!
post #103 of 111 Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM

So when is "Opening night"?

I wish I could order my Berklines while Roman still has them, but it isn't in my budget right now. I'm ordering carpet in a few days.
post #104 of 111 Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Why did you use MDF on your screen wall?
post #105 of 111 Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Why did you use MDF on your screen wall?

It is an effort to deaden the front of the room. I also did it to make fabricating my treatments for the wall easier in terms of not hunting for studs when building. It worked pretty well...
post #106 of 111 Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ordered the rest of my Berkline from Roman while he still had them in stock. Ordered them Monday and they arrived today, truly amazing service!

I originally bought Berkline 88's back in 2006 when I started the room, I got a great deal on them and couldn't pass them up. That said Berkline stopped making the fabric that I have and as such I was forced to make a compromise. My original intentions were to order black microfiber or leather for the back row. Then Roman and my wife pointed out that the arms on the berklines are removable. So rather than dumping a bunch of $ in to the back row of seats I removed the arms and relegated them to back row duty and splurged for a4 seat front row.

Berkline 12006's (imported leather version of the 88) with power recline.

I also built my first frame for the side wall absorbers. I have figured out a way to allow them to mount flush to the wall and still have nearly a 2" airgap behind the 703. I will post pics as I make progress on them!

THE END IS IN SIGHT!
post #107 of 111 Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 10
very clean look...... very nice indeed.
post #108 of 111 Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

very clean look...... very nice indeed.

Thanks for looking and the kind words. That is very much what I was going for was a clean install. Nothing over the top flashy, just a clean very high performing environment.
post #109 of 111 Old 12-24-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bumping this thread back from the D E A D. I am once again messing with the space after enjoying it for over a year. I am slowly working on the absorbers and also messing with sub placement. I recently bought a Blu Ray player to begin messing with that. Seeing as how my PJ has 720P native resolution and my iScan VP30 is being used I was skeptical of the improvement so I bought a Panasonic BDT220P to mess with before I drop a bunch of $ on an Oppo.

I also need to repair one of the channels in my Cinenova Grande 5 as one of them went out during a spirited listening session. I thought I nuked a speaker and I was VERY happy it was only the amp channel! MUCH easier to repair for sure!
post #110 of 111 Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am currently working on a few different projects for the room. I am currently cutting more shelves for the equipment rack to give each component it's dedicated space. I am also workign on wire management but cutting in come routing circle's at the back of each shelf. I also am using my Macbook with a mini toslink output to my Pre-Pro and because it is my personal use machine I need to be able to easily remove it from the system etc... One of the shelves will feature heavy duty sliders so that I can slide the shelf out and open up the laptop so it is easier to access when I am using it in the system; once setup in the system I can close the display, push the shelf in, and control it with my iPhone and use the HDMI out and display on the system.

I am also building a hushbox for the projector. It is mounted directly overhead and is certainly not the quietist unit. To me it is quite distracting during low volume scenes or late night listening so I need to shut that thing up.

I am also extremely excited to be using a bunch of new carpentry techniques for these projects. I have purchased some small tools for finish and layout and they are making things so much easier to build. I do not own a tablesaw but can now make any cut necessary and produce a factory like edge as well as use all of my left over "non-square" pieces for even the tightest of square fitment. I will be taking pics. soon of the progress and sharing some of what I have learned recently.
post #111 of 111 Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Liked: 10
Looking good, I told Sowk I would have a grand opening once my ht was ready, I'll make sure you know about the date if your interested. Looking at the end of summer as I am just in the wiring stage. Adding a full bath into the build really ate up some time.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page