Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 382 Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Lets get that brace off and get back to work already.........geeesh slackers!!

lol.. I was thinking the same thing.

Far as kids and pets in the HT Room, it like you stated in the earilier post. Since I have little ones and will be starting my HT Build later this year. I've already invested in a lock for the door and will be the only one who has access to the key..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 382 Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm still here. After spraining my wrist I had to go on a business trip to Mexico for a week. Then when I returned my family took a vacation to Florida to visit relatives. Once returning we simply started enjoying the theater as-is and I have been lacking in motivation. My daughter had her Girl Scout troop over and they watched the movie Twilight. They really enjoyed it and I tried my best to remain calm about the snack crumbs and their constant talking out loud through out the movie.

Starting this weekend I hope to continue the theater construction. I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
post #363 of 382 Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mr. Rinker! I've gotten a second wind over here at "Twinsletown"....just a friendly jab to get you thinking about making another push in your room!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #364 of 382 Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

My biggest problem was setting up the projector for the Super Bowl. I basically haven't worked on the theater since. Last weekend my sister and brother-in-law visited and we watched a movie in the theater. It has gotten me motivated once again to finally finish this project. Yesterday, I cleaned the cobb webs from the communications room and started to do some wiring for the first time in months.

post #365 of 382 Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back in the game!

This Labor Day weekend I installed electrical wiring, insulation and 5/8" drywall on the ceiling located in the hallway leading to the home theater entrance. The most work I did on the home theater in 8 to 10 months.

Plus.....I bought four very good looking home theater wall light sconces for only $2 each on clearance at Lowes this weekend. They were selling for $58 each.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #366 of 382 Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I MUST say that $2 is the deal of a lifetime considering the regular price....INSANE!!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #367 of 382 Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I love great deals and 2 bucks vs $58 is a killer savings. Congrads on finding the deal.
post #368 of 382 Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Nice job. Oddly, I stumbled on this thread while Googling info about Safetouch insulation for a barn project I'm working on. Amazing how much info is floating around AVS.

I get a little sick to my stomach thinking about a fellow Steeler fan not being able to enjoy SB XLIII. It was a phenomenal experience (guess that doesn't help). I thought I'd be using my theater for football when I built it, but after the first game, I realized it is difficult to enjoy it as much when everyone is facing the same direction (in the dark). I need to be able to jump up and high five family members or look at the devastated face of my Cowboys fan son-in-law when something good happens. Also there's no access to the spread of football foods that my wife typically prepares every Sunday and lays out on the coffee table for grazing throughout the day.

By the way, we are dog lovers and have 3 dogs that are an integral part of the family (that sleep on our beds) - and we have had a no pets in the theater policy since day 1. We have leather seats, but the fabric walls are not something I want to have to try and pick the dog hair off of. We give them a rawhide and keep them out of the theater when we are watching a movie. I also like the fact that if something happened (door bell, intruder, fire, etc.) while we're all isolated in a close to sound-proof environment - we'd still hear the dogs if they got too riled up.

Only other hard rule for the teens (and us) - is that no drinks are allowed that don't fit in the cup holders. The other things like popcorn kernels, or stray milk duds and Skittles that end up under (or in) the recliners - is a price I'm willing to pay for the kids to be able to have a cool place with their friends.

Good luck. Looks like you're you've got a great setup going on.
post #369 of 382 Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

My home theater project finally continues tomorrow!

Tomorrow I will be finishing the ceiling in the home theater using furring strips and 12" x 12" ceiling tiles which will be painted black.

post #370 of 382 Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Update: May 30, 2010

Don't faint, but I started working on the home theater construction once again. After installing 1x3 furring strips and filling the cavities with insulation I started fastening the 12" x 12" ceiling tiles.

Due to the joist positions I couldn't center the recessed lights within the tiles. Rather the recessed lights are equally spaced between the length of the seating area within the home theater.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #371 of 382 Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Additional pictures:
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #372 of 382 Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sanded drywall within hallway leading into the home theater. Tomorrow i'm going to apply the drywall primer.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #373 of 382 Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Applied drywall primer to walls within hallway leading to the home theater.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #374 of 382 Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I was embarrassed that it is now close to 3 years since I started my home theater project. However, tonight I was looking through some old threads that I used early on to get some ideas and saw that they too haven't completed their home theaters.

Well, i'm back on track and not stopping until it's completed.

post #375 of 382 Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Mr. Rinker! I've gotten a second wind over here at "Twinsletown"....just a friendly jab to get you thinking about making another push in your room!

Thank you Tony. I recently got a second wind to get working on my theater once again. Hopefully I'll keep motivated until it's completed.

post #376 of 382 Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

For the last few days I have been working on the home theater day and night. It's been close to three years since I started this project and it needs to be completed.

Dirt inside downstairs return vent (YUCK):

Painted the ceiling within hallway leading to the home theater entrance:

Did more painting in home theater:

Painted hallway leading to home theater:

This section of drywall on ceiling was existing, but had to be fully sanded to remove texture (LOTS of dust). I then applied primer, ceiling paint and added a new smoke detector:

Added new grill to return vent:

Went to Wal-Mart and purchased a 27" x 40" poster frame for a Wizard of Oz movie poster that I putchased three years ago. I also have a Rocky and ET poster that I need to buy frames for.

Tomorrow is "Electrical Day".

I hope to be able to install the following:
  • Track lighting in hallway
  • Recepticles in hallway
  • EXIT sign in theater
  • Recepticles in home theater
  • Switch to control rope lighting in home theater
  • Switch to control light sconces
  • Light sconces in home theater

post #377 of 382 Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I need some help guys!

1) I purchased another 27" x 40" poster frame at Wal-Mart today. At the top they are exactly level, but at the bottom one frame is shorter as shown. Perhaps i'm a little too anal, but this kind of thing bugs me.

2) Bumps on walls. After applying a coat of drywall primer these bumps were hardly visible, but after painting a dark color they seem to stick out like a sore thumb. Some I will be able to hide with signs, acoustic panels and trim, but what can I do about the others?

3) Marking up walls. No matter how careful I always seem to be banging something against the walls leaving marks as shown. What can I do? I thought about adding a 32" H Wainscot panel along the bottom, but the hard wood might affect the sound quality of the theater.

4) EXIT Sign Placement: After installing the ceiling tile in the home theater I discovered that the electrical box I placed for the EXIT sign now won't work due to the space limitations. Any solutions? I'm thinking perhaps use the canapy that came with the sign and mount a little away from the door. However, the electrical box would still be in the wrong location.

5) Ceiling Tile: Today I discovered that the ceiling tile on one side of the ceiling panel is about 1/2" off from the other side. I don't know how this happened, because all the tiles look to be square and even. I have only a small area to complete which is below our living room video outlet. I may be able to hide the 1/2" difference by adding a removeable access panel in this location in case additional wires will need to be ran to the living room location in the future.

6) Water Mark on Ceiling: While painting the walls I accidently hit the ceiling with the roller. I was able to remove the paint, but it left a water stain. If I try to touch up the ceiling with ceiling paint it might leave a mark as well. What should I do?

7) Cat in Theater: After seeing all the hair on the home theater chairs from the cat I believe I am going to begin a "NO PETS ALLOWED" in the home theater rule.

Movie posters hung in hallway leading to the home theater:

post #378 of 382 Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't get any electrical work completed today as planned. When I went to install the 8' length of track lighting in the hallway I noticed that it was damaged and had to be returned to Lowes. Lowes gave me a full refund, but they were all out of the 8' lengths in black and only had white in stock.

Now i'm thinking because I painted the ceiling white instead of black perhaps I should buy the 8' track light in white and return the black lamps that I had already purchased. I painted the hallway ceiling white because it is part of a hallway that enters the laundry room as well as downstairs closets and I felt that a black ceiling would be too dark for theses areas. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I am ALWAYS second guessing myself on everything I do.

post #379 of 382 Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Started wiring the electrical last night in the theater lobby and ran into 2 out of the 5 receptacle openings that I had cut a little too large when installing the drywall. Sure I could simply buy over sized face plates, but that always looks as if you are trying to cover a mistake up. What are my other options? Does anyone know where I can buy those small round spacers that you place onto the screws of the receptacle in order to securely fasten it if enough drywall is not present?

I might still install 32" Wainscot to the walls within the lobby hallway in order to prevent damage to the drywall due to kids and pets which would also resolve my electrical receptacle problem.

post #380 of 382 Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back from vacation and the home theater build now continues. Today I wired the electrical outlets within the hallway entrance to the theater. They don't look as bad as I had thought and oversized plates are not needed.

post #381 of 382 Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it's been a few years and my home theater still isn't completed. Good things take time.

post #382 of 382 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteGuy View Post
Ok, so it's been a few years and my home theater still isn't completed. Good things take time.
A lot of yo links be broke yo. Interested to see it! You might have the longest running project? It would be interesting to know who has the longest running theater project.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page