post #271 of 2155 Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

... but I'm unsure if I need to buy a Slim 5 cabinet or just the rack rails. ..!

My rack is a recycled relay rack in front and MA rails in back. It is behind fabric frames so you only see it when it is open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2155 Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

I'm unsure if I need to buy a Slim 5 cabinet or just the rack rails. As long as the rails are properly fastened to 2x4s to hold the weight of the RSH shelves, do I need the entire cabinet?

The main issue with just using rails and studs is that you need to get the distance between them exactly right. The hole centers need to be 18.3 inches apart and the official spec allows for less than 1/32 inch of leeway.

It took me three attempts to get my rails spaced to a usable distance, and they're still 1/16-1/8 too far apart even after fine-tuning with rubber washers. Most components do have wide mounting holes and can handle the screw positions being a bit off, but the placement of those wide holes is not always the same. All of the MA parts I've tried have fit, but for example I've got a piece of rackmount gear from Kramer and it's a no-go (luckily it doesn't need to be directly accessible, so it can go in a "real" freestanding rack that's behind the wall -- but even there it's a tight fit). BTW better to be too far than too close, because when the rails are too close some component bodies won't fit between them.

So if you just do studs and rails be prepared to have to futz with it to get it right, and whatever you do make sure you don't put the studs too close together. It's probably a lot easier to shim the rails closer than to move the studs apart. Oh and if your studs aren't perfectly parallel you'll have to deal with that, too.
post #273 of 2155 Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hmmm. Good thoughts. Sounds like it will be easier to simply get the Slim 5 and be done with it.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #274 of 2155 Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
To get the spacing, between the rails, correct mount a blank spacer plate on the top, mid-section and bottom of the rails. This creates a type of ladder but gives you the correct spacing. Now fit the rail ladder into your opening and use spacers (i used different thickness of plywood) and shims to get a snug fit. Then bolt the rails through the spacers, shims, drywall etc. to the studs.
DSaint1347 likes this.
post #275 of 2155 Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

This is a Mid-Atlantic SRSR-X mounted in the wall with a plywood box surrounding. It has a Samsung BD-UP5000, Xbox 360, Onkyo TX-SR705 and HR10-250.

Hoyty.
Who did you order it from?

Edgar
post #276 of 2155 Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I've been re-miss in posting a picture of my rack here, even though I've been watching this thread for months and decided to go w/ my setup based on one of the racks in the first page or two... I'm very happy w/ how it turned out:

As soon as I buy a BD player, I'll have to re-adjust some things. This is the 43U Slim 5 MA rack (about 6 1/2' tall). I've also been debating on adding another drawer of DVD storage...

Check out my "Too many decisions" build here:
Too many decisions...
post #277 of 2155 Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
^^ although im not sure on the models, that yamaha having the door on the front, and that being a higher end denon dvd player, there should IR ports on the back so you dont have to have them hanging out the front like that.
post #278 of 2155 Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Spappy - did you paint the rack screws black or buy them? If you bought them, can you let me know where at?

I am such a NOOB at A/V..
The "Not Hers" Build
post #279 of 2155 Old 07-17-2008, 03:34 AM

My rack is back in shape with the new PS3 and U-verse box and their respective faceplates.

The screws are black square drive from Middle Atlantic. Found them at Performanceaudio.com

I am mentally challenging you...so consider yourself mentally challenged

XboxLive Gamertag: SteelDr JJ

My Theater Build
post #280 of 2155 Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

Spappy - did you paint the rack screws black or buy them? If you bought them, can you let me know where at?

I picked up a jar of 500 phillips MA screws (black) on ebay, but I know they sell them at partsexpress.

No one has seen any pics of a Wii with the custom faceplate?
post #281 of 2155 Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM

I bought all my rack stuff from performance audio (Zach) and as jjcritch mentioned, they're MA screws. I'll have to check on the IR ports. I was just so excited about getting everything in so I could test it out, I just hooked it up. I hadn't even thought about the possibility that there could be some IR on the back...

Too many decisions...
post #282 of 2155 Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Here's a picture of the back:

No direct IR in the back of the Yamaha RXV-1800, but there is those ports marked "Remote." I'm unable to get to the online manual for some reason to find out exactly what those are & how they work, but will when I get home. Now to check on the Denon DVD player...

Too many decisions...
post #283 of 2155 Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 PM

I sure have enjoyed looking at what each person has done with the "rack" and I have my own challenges. I have a new home that my system will have to go into next month. The builder never really understood what I needed and I did not have the time to look into this so I asked him to build me a closet in the great room to the right wall of the viewing area. It a large closet at 36 inches wide by a bit more than 24 inches deep. I will also have access from behind the closet through a access pannel from another closet.

I just don't quite know what to do and it would be great to see a install but I don't know anyone and I don't know what type of rack system to buy and install. I can further frame and have a fairly good skill set with regards to carpentry but I just would like to find the best rack sytem and know what the standards are and where to find the best selection and price.

In the picture you can see the rack from my previous home and what is missing is my Pass Labs amp which is huge weighing in at 150 pounds. I will place the amp in between the speakers at the front of the room below the screen. It's a nice looking amp and makes for a nice center piece, sounds good too. In the second picture is the unfinished closet in the new home.

thanks.

John
LL
LL
post #284 of 2155 Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig View Post

I sure have enjoyed looking at what each person has done with the "rack" and I have my own challenges. I have a new home that my system will have to go into next month. The builder never really understood what I needed and I did not have the time to look into this so I asked him to build me a closet in the great room to the right wall of the viewing area. It a large closet at 36 inches wide by a bit more than 24 inches deep. I will also have access from behind the closet through a access pannel from another closet.

I just don't quite know what to do and it would be great to see a install but I don't know anyone and I don't know what type of rack system to buy and install... John

If you will have rear access to the space, you could use a Middle atlantic Slim 5 rack. This is what I used. Check out my assebly post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10659662

My Theater Build
post #285 of 2155 Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks for pointing me to your thread. It looks like the rack is maybe my best bet and I like the trim. Did you do any research on where the best place to purchase was and is there any difference in the racks? I am a bit concerned that if I decide to put in my Pass Labs amp the rack will be small. The Pass Labs amp is about 20" wide and and 25" deep. I have not decided but I may not like it on the floor because I have a 8 year old that will be able to use the room. I notice you have a girl, does she help with hammering everything?

thanks,
john

Yep, she does indeed help daddy whenever she can, for better or for worse.

As for your amp, a standard rack is 19" so you are going to have an issue. If you use a short Slim 5 like I did, you can mount it off the ground and build a separate shelf underneath for the amp. Probably would look real nice.

I have gotten all my Middle Atlantic stuff from PerformanceAudio.com but you should check here http://www.avscience.com/products.htm . Mark or one of the guys can help you out.

My Theater Build
post #286 of 2155 Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM

I am looking at the Slim 5 Rack and if you could tell me if two of my amps would fit in the rack. The bigger one is 19 inches wide by 20 inches deep and 11 inches high, not including the handles and terminals on the rear. The handles and terminals would have no bearing on the shelf I think.

Between the two amps and some of the other equipment this space will also generate a lot of heat. The enclosure in the wall is already built and is 24" deep and 36" wide. Kind of wish I had made it wider so as to house a double unit but I think I should be able to get all that I have into one tall unit.

I've looked and the best place I've fount is smarthome.com. Has anyone found a good and reasonably priced place to purchase this equipment?

Thanks,
john
post #287 of 2155 Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I bought my slim 5 at partsexpress.com. May not be the cheapest place but they are reasonable.
post #288 of 2155 Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Can a amp that is 19 inches wide by 20 inches deep fit in the Slim 5 rack?

Thanks,
john
post #289 of 2155 Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Depends, if it is exactly 19 inches it won't. Inside dimensions are probably about 18 7/8. If you are a little bit less than that you will be fine but you'd probably want to get the 26 inch deep one so you can slide it in the side and scoot it up. You'd probably also need one of those shelves that attach to the side holes and not the front. You will also have to deal with the front rails covering up part of your amp.

Dimensions for the slim-5 racks can be found here.

Edit: I take that back, with the Zero space shelf you only get 18.5 inches usable space.
post #290 of 2155 Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM

I ordered the shelf you mentioned and I had wondered if the shelf would work upside down, just a thought. The amp is in fact exactly 19 inches wide. We'll see and if it doesn't fit I might try to make a space under the rack for the amp. I have a rack system at work that has my computer equipment in it and for the heck of it I measured the rack from the inside and I think it was about 17.5 inches and so I just figured the rack was different but now I think maybe these are all the same and the 19 inches is actually the inside or the very outside of the rack. I did look at the drawing and I understand drawings very well but I never found the 18 and 7/8" measurement. Mine at the office is not steel but alluminum and a wall unit, quite nice.
post #291 of 2155 Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a rack system at work that has my computer equipment in it and for the heck of it I measured the rack from the inside and I think it was about 17.5 inches and so I just figured the rack was different but now I think maybe these are all the same and the 19 inches is actually the inside or the very outside of the rack.

The "about 17.5" measurement would be the width of the opening between the rails, or the typical usable width of shelves that are mounted to the front of the rails. The "19" measurement normally refers to the total width of the mounting flanges of shelves or other rackmount equipment.

I suspect your idea of mounting the zero-space shelf upside-down will work, and since the slim-5 doesn't have side panels you can just set the amp back far enough that its sides can stick out between the rails. Alternatively you could mount the shelf normally and use rubber feet to lift the amp high enough to clear the sides of the shelf (since it's only 1.5 inches high). The downside, if this rack will be in a visible location, is that the amp won't be able to sit flush with the front of the rack. There's not much you can do about that if the amp is fully 19 inches wide.
post #292 of 2155 Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Attached is a picture of the Pass amp in the rack. I added 4, 1/16" washers to the front rails of the racks where the rails attach to the base and so the rack is just a bit more than 19 inches and the pass amp just fits. I can't really see a down side to what I did except that I have to pull the rack out of the closet and remove a front rail just to slide the amp out.

I am wondering what I can do about the space above the Pass amp and how I can get a spacer. I have several and all fit a certain way but I need one that is more than one space but not quite two. I was unable to find odd size spacers.

I did find that Middle Atlantic sells face plates for all of my equipment in the rack except the Pass of course, very neat idea and I can't wait to try them.

john
LL
post #293 of 2155 Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Hey guys, what rack do I have? I just picked this one up used for a song. It is a middle atlantic, and it looks like it is a 24u useable rack. That doesn't include what is about 1u of space on the top and bottom.

The bottom has recessed casters, which is kind of cool.

I am trying to figure out what it is. Looks like a Slim5, but I haven't seen it in a 24ux19x19 configuration. Overal height is about 46".

Help me out! I need to know to figure out if I can fit all the gear I want to in it. Here is a picture of the shelving it will be replacing. The shelving (outside measurements) is 48x19.5, so it will be a perfect replacement size wise!

post #294 of 2155 Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=kezug;12070344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

Every time I review this thread for rack ideas, I cant help but stop and stare at these racks. If I am not careful, I will be building boobies on my wall instead of a system rack!

one more time.

PSN: onemoretry

add me fools
post #295 of 2155 Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

Hey guys, what rack do I have? I just picked this one up used for a song. It is a middle atlantic, and it looks like it is a 24u useable rack. That doesn't include what is about 1u of space on the top and bottom.

The bottom has recessed casters, which is kind of cool.

I am trying to figure out what it is. Looks like a Slim5, but I haven't seen it in a 24ux19x19 configuration. Overal height is about 46".

Help me out! I need to know to figure out if I can fit all the gear I want to in it. Here is a picture of the shelving it will be replacing. The shelving (outside measurements) is 48x19.5, so it will be a perfect replacement size wise!

Where did you get those groovy signs next to your rack? Are they custom-made?
post #296 of 2155 Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieR View Post

Where did you get those groovy signs next to your rack? Are they custom-made?

These are custom, but there is a guy on ebay that sells almost identical signs. A friend made them for me.
post #297 of 2155 Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM

I guess I ought to preface this rack design post by stating: Although I currently enjoy my music played back multi-channel style and the same "Big Rig" performs cinema duties, I'm still very much a hair shirt wearing, "everything-makes-a-difference" audio dweeb. My current predominantly digital signal path and the mostly Meridian gear which play host to it does seem less affected by audiophile tweaks than the tube two-channel gear I once owned. However, I still find attention to S/PDIF cabling, power conditioning, and mechanical vibration isolation all make audibly positive differences. The mix of audio and video in my present Big Rig with video's competing formats requires much more extensive racking. I am happy with some of my gear support elements. The custom Corian sand-box "shelves" and Black Diamond Racing isolation cones and pucks all work brilliantly. However, the row of low welded Target tables under the very heavy "sand box" isolation shelves leave something to be desired in rigidity, but also in effective use of space and aesthetics.

These complaints with my existing racking have driven my interest in finding something better. Unfortunately even the tweak-iest high end "audiophile approved" rack manufacturers failed to address all my requirements. In this case my decision to go DIY was totally about function rather than saving money. My steadily refined rack design was far beyond my DIY skills, but owning a high-end bicycle shop provides access to craftsmen with the abilities and tools to realize my vision. Thus this is more of a Design It Yourself rather than a Do It Yourself project. My actual build thread progress can be found here on the CAM Forum. For this post I'll stick to a Coles Notes version of the build.

The above renderings and drawings are the original rack concept and despite some last minute material changes are still a pretty accurate representation of how the finished product will look. The plan was to build the rack frame from powder coat finished high strength thin-wall steel tubing. The frame would use 3" square for the main posts and a combination of 1"x2" and 1" square for the framework. The all the smaller diameter tubing will be filled with low expansion foam to damp the steel's tendency to ring while the 4 main posts are filled almost to their open tops with sand. A BDR (Black Diamond Racing) isolation Puck "floats" atop each sand-filled pillar and provides a footer for the BDR cones which interface with the corners of the 6' wide upper shelf. The long upper shelf was originally to have been CNC milled from a 3" thick lamination of ApplePly. The milled plywood shelf would have been reinforced with a pair of inset 2" cro-mo "angle iron" stiffening ribs running almost the entire length of the shelf. This would have ensure adequate stiffness under load. The top shelf features 3 milled out wells, each to be partially filled with sand which would then float a Corian slab which in turn the component would rest upon. All the individual lower shelves are Corian sandboxes as well. Each of the six lower sandbox shelves rests on 3 point levelling set screws inset into the frame. By this point you've worked out that I'm a fan of "BrightStar"-style sand filled isolation!

Over time the design evolved some. Ultimately I chose to go with brushed thin-wall stainless steel for the frame. A gifted local custom bicycle frame builder, Hugh at True North Cycles, has almost completed the frame with just the final finishing work left to go. Below are pictures of the almost completed rack with close-ups of some of the detail work. Other than the material and finish change, the rack frame remained true to the original design.

The top shelf was a tricky proposition from the start. Aesthetically I was stuck on it being a single long span which under the weight of the shelf, sand, and components- had the potential to create rigidity problems. Well Gerry of Apex Composites, the only nearby CNC house with the a large enough mill, suggested that rather than a steel reinforced plywood shelf, we should make it from carbon composites. A shelf made from carbon wrapped structural foam would be a fraction of the wooden shelf's weight- sub-10 pounds vs 100 pounds! A composite shelf could be stiffer. Finally the composite construct of bonded foam, uni-direct carbon, and woven carbon with a "dress layer" lamination would be self damping. The three matching "floating" isolation shelves would also be made from structural foam and carbon. Well what wasn't to like with that! Yeah it drove the price up significantly but its only money. Full speed ahead! Below are the CNC-ready CAD drawings for the top and floating shelves.

Summer holidays have hampered the progress of my shelf somewhat as its a side project for Gerry at Apex but we are getting there. Two slabs of dense structural foam were laminated and then CNC milled to the desired shape. Lengthwise recesses were milled top and bottom to accommodate layers of unidirectional carbon which provides the strength stiffness. Then the entire thing was sheathed in regular woven carbon and "Peel-Ply", which when removed leaves a rough finish carbon which doesn't require sanding for subsequent laminations. Below are bottom view photos of the shelf. You can clearly see the underlaying strips of unidirectional carbon in the photos but it will be invisible upon completion.

At this point we performed a deflection test on the shelf. We supported the shelf on BDR cones and pucks at the outside corners and then distributed a 230 pound load of Olympic weight plates over the component sand wells. A dial micrometer device measured just over 1mm of deflection under that load. The in-house engineer at Apex had predicted under 1mm for 180 pounds so he was dead on. Wow at the moment the shelf weighs about 7 pounds! So with the core construction and testing complete, I'm now in hurry-up-and-wait mode for the shelf and three matching isolation slabs to be finished.

I'll update this post with further pictures upon the rack's completion later this Summer.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com
ellisr63 likes this.

Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike.
post #298 of 2155 Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Liked: 12
I have a question about spacing. I currently have a Denon AVR3300 and I have the shelf above mounted so that there is about 3" of free space above the reciever. I went with 3" because it it in an enclosed cabinet with very little ventilation at all.

I'm thinking about going with a Slim 5 setup and will be replacing my AVR3300 with an AVR3808CI. I'm wondering how close I can mount the upper shelf to the top of the receiver.
It will be in a dedicated equipment closet with the front facing out into the room. The back and sides will be completely open so ventilation won't be an issue like it is now. Do you think 1-1/2" of space will be an issue or is that too close?

Thanks,
Brent
post #299 of 2155 Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Mine is not fancy but it was very inexpensive
Attachment 118184
Attachment 118185
Attachment 118186
LL