13Likes

post #361 of 2168 Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

I use performanceaudio.com, that is where I bought my SRSR rotating rack also. They are lighting quick with shipping and order fullfilment, and I think have the best prices.

My faces have been $60, free shipping, and the entire RSH shelf and face are $101 shipped.

BTW, I have a Marantz AV8003 face, a PS3w/Nyko Intercooler face, a Toshiba HD-XA1 face, LG BH200 face, Krell HomeTheaterStandard face, and several others that I have bought from them for sale.

If any of you guys need any of these mint faceplates, let me know!

check pm

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2168 Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

I use performanceaudio.com, that is where I bought my SRSR rotating rack also. They are lighting quick with shipping and order fullfilment, and I think have the best prices.

My faces have been $60, free shipping, and the entire RSH shelf and face are $101 shipped.

Awesome! Gotta love free shipping! Thanks for the info.
post #363 of 2168 Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmj427 View Post

I figured that I would throw a picture of my rack up there since it is 95% done.

Here is a picture with the sliding door closed on the A/V rack and the DVD storage rack closed.

Cheers,
JJ

nice setup, i love that pull-out strorage unit.
post #364 of 2168 Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Are there MA racks specifically designed for HT? I have a guy trying to sell me a MRK4431 for $500. Is that a good deal if it's local? Thanks

BLC
post #365 of 2168 Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigleechild View Post

Are there MA racks specifically designed for HT?

Yes, for example the SRSR series is designed for cabinets and wall cavities with no rear access; the entire rack slides out on rails and then rotates so you can get to the back of the gear. The actual equipment mounting rails in terms of screws and hole spacing are the same as any other standard rack. They have a couple of other, similar model lines depending on the size, weight, and access requirements.

Quote:

I have a guy trying to sell me a MRK4431 for $500. Is that a good deal

A quick survey of online retailers suggests that that's a good price. One thing to bear in mind: that model is around 7 feet tall, over 31 inches deep, and floor-standing. Just be sure it fits with your room design/layout, and since it's apparently fully-welded you also need to be sure it will fit through the doors/hallways/stairwells to get to wherever you want to install it. BTW if room access is a problem, there are rack makers that use a bolt-together design that can be assembled in-place.
post #366 of 2168 Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Link to the AVS "headlines" for an article that has additional racks pics which provide inspiration....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14958574
post #367 of 2168 Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 PM

In progress

post #368 of 2168 Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Does anyone know the bolt size for the leveling feet of the slim, LF-ISO Isolation leveling feet - set of four?
post #369 of 2168 Old 10-30-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Basic custom built AV rack.
I used Home Depot 1" x 24" x 48" board's (cut in half) and adj shelf sides.
Pretty cheap, $20/board, $80 total, maybe $20 for the hardware. $100 total so far, with $30-$40 more I'll have 3 sliding shelfs, works for me.

Yea, my AV is a little deeper than most, but I had the room so why not.
Workability/access is very easy.

From HT side, this is on the front/RH side of the HT:

I am going to make sliding drawers for the bottom for storage.

Backside is open/accessable from rec room side, I will make doors for this soon...
Wires are semi-organized, until I'm sure that I like where things are I'm not too concerned about style points.
Soon on the rec/room side there will be cabinets/sink next to the AV backide, you can see the rough plumbing pipe for that.

Doors added 11-7-08, I've not said this in years and years:

"Open sesame"

"Close sesame"
post #370 of 2168 Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Thanks to all on this post for inspiration.....

A 37U Middle Atlantic Slim-5 - 26" deep, and brushed black aluminum custom faceplates / filler panels. Added two sets of 18U rack rails inset about 7" (upper half) and 10" (lower hald) that I did a little mod on to mount to the existing frame to save a few $$ and not have to pull the rack back out to add these. Used some Middle Atlantic lacing bars (straight & 6" offsets) along with the extra set of rack rails to keep everything tidy (or best I could). I custom terminated everything except for the HDMI & ToS cables.

In a state of "semi-completeness" - waiting for Santa to bring the Xbox 360, making up my mind on a media streamer (Popcorn Hour?? - PM me with any suggestions?), probably another DirecTV HD Receiver, I'll eventually move a Wii into the rack and may mount a modified iPod rack mount from Raxxess (if I can get a Denon iPod doc into the mount), and to put the MA side trim strips on.

Currently in place (from top to bottom):

Front:
APC J15BLK UPS/Power Conditioner
Denon AVR3808-CI Audio/Video Receiver
Sony BDP-S350 BluRay Player
Denon DCM-290 5-disc CD changer
DirecTV HR22-100 HD DVR
AudioSource AMP102 (x2) for 2nd & 3rd zone audio

Back:
48 port Keystone patch panel + various keystone ports
NETGEAR JFS16 10/100 16 port Ethernet Switch (way more ports than I need, but it was rack mountable )
post #371 of 2168 Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how or where to buy vertical lace strips for the Middle Atlantic racks? The on-line stores only sell the 'dealer' packs which contain 6 vertical lace bars. Of course, I only have a single rack so two is all I need.

I am specifically looking for something like the LACE-37-OP. I could use the 40 or 44 as the bars are able to be cut down to size.

Thanks,
T.Wells
post #372 of 2168 Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM

would love to know the same - I spotted an on-line that has the lacer bars "al-la-carte" but did not see the vertical bars....

Maybe there is a "group buy" needed with a split out
post #373 of 2168 Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like markertek has them but they come in packs of six. I was looking at these but I just decided to go with a couple sets of the front to back lacer bars (LBFR-5A-20) and one set of the horizontal lacer bars (LBH-1930-T) to attach to them. This will give me attachment points to run bundles of cable down the side of the rack as well as strain releif for feeding my patch panels on the back of the rack and components on the front.

Like this:

post #374 of 2168 Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack to mount in the middle of a wall? It doesn't need to be a floor standing model but would frame around it. I first was looking at this one (http://cableorganizer.com/computer-c...k.htm#features) but it mounts in the back which I could build a frame for it to support the back and the bottom but then want the MA custom faces, can you mix and match brands? or is there a better option.

It is a new construction wall with access to the back so I will access the equipment from the back and use custom faceplates for the front. It has to have space for a PS3, Denon reciver, Cable box, but would like to have some sports for expansion. I looked at the Middle Atlantic site but am not sure which model would suit my needs.

Jon

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
post #375 of 2168 Old 11-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Liked: 13
Here are the two racks I have had....the three panel one (with green walls) has been built by neighbor contractor for our new house (it is a room behind my media room leading to a bathroom - turned the closet into a built-in) where we moved to a year ago, the two panel one with the "red" walls is one from our older house that my b-in-law had built.

Tarun
LL
LL

Tarun
post #376 of 2168 Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mine was a very expensive, very custom solution:

Yes folks, that's one 2"x10" board painted black.
post #377 of 2168 Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 AM

I like it.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods
Javadoc's Theater Build
post #378 of 2168 Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Is wire access/management difficult...?

Otherwise...I love the look of it
post #379 of 2168 Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Looks like markertek has them but they come in packs of six. I was looking at these but I just decided to go with a couple sets of the front to back lacer bars (LBFR-5A-20) and one set of the horizontal lacer bars (LBH-1930-T) to attach to them. This will give me attachment points to run bundles of cable down the side of the rack as well as strain releif for feeding my patch panels on the back of the rack and components on the front.

Do these "front to back" lacer bars attach from the inside of the rack, or do you have to have access to the "outside" of the rack-rails? I've already got my rack mounted in the wall and getting access to the outside of the front rail pair would be a real pain (I'd basically have to remove everything, unbolt it and pull it out - I have full access to the back, so if these can be secured from the inside of the rack then it would be perfect for what I need right now for cable mounting...

thx...
post #380 of 2168 Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseese View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack to mount in the middle of a wall? It doesn't need to be a floor standing model but would frame around it. I first was looking at this one (http://cableorganizer.com/computer-c...k.htm#features) but it mounts in the back which I could build a frame for it to support the back and the bottom but then want the MA custom faces, can you mix and match brands? or is there a better option.

You have a couple of options - the simplest of which may just be getting rack-rail and securing these to studs spaced the appropriate width apart - if you need rear rails for cable management or other mounting then you'd need to do something there.... that might lead you to getting a SLIM-5 rack from Middle Atlantic and building a base to sit it on - this is esentially what I did (although the base is only about 8 inches tall - see my rack pic a handful of post above this one)
post #381 of 2168 Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was reading somewhere that when wiring for home theater you need to keep your low-voltage wiring (speaker, video Cat5) at least 12 inches away from high voltage 115V wiring due to EMI. Did most of you try to do this on your installs? Is this extremely critical or is it just something for audiophile purists and is only going to make a negligible difference?

mwardncsu, I'll pull them out tonight and check.
post #382 of 2168 Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardncsu View Post

would love to know the same - I spotted an on-line that has the lacer bars "al-la-carte" but did not see the vertical bars....

Maybe there is a "group buy" needed with a split out

I am in for two vertical lace bars if this is possible. Maybe AVS will do this for us?

-T.Wells
post #383 of 2168 Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

I was reading somewhere that when wiring for home theater you need to keep your low-voltage wiring (speaker, video Cat5) at least 12 inches away from high voltage 115V wiring due to EMI. Did most of you try to do this on your installs? Is this extremely critical or is it just something for audiophile purists and is only going to make a negligible difference?.

You certainly do not want any extended parallel runs of the low-voltage and power wires as it is possible to pick up some inductive "hum". Best practices have your low voltage and high voltage cross at right angles to one another.

Of course, there is best practice and what you can accomplish in your real-world scenario given the constraints you have to work with - just try and keep seperation where possible and minimize any close parallel runs (I'd not want to run power and low-voltage together in a bundle down the length of a 20U - 30U rack - but then again power typicall comes out on the right side (looking from the back) of most components and you can route your signal cables to the left side.....)
post #384 of 2168 Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseese View Post

It is a new construction wall with access to the back so I will access the equipment from the back and use custom faceplates for the front. It has to have space for a PS3, Denon reciver, Cable box, but would like to have some sports for expansion. I looked at the Middle Atlantic site but am not sure which model would suit my needs.

I used a middle atlantic rk20 for something like you describe and have been very happy.

post #385 of 2168 Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardncsu View Post

just try and keep seperation where possible and minimize any close parallel runs (I'd not want to run power and low-voltage together in a bundle down the length of a 20U - 30U rack - but then again power typicall comes out on the right side (looking from the back) of most components and you can route your signal cables to the left side.....)

This is kind of why I am concerned about this. My rack is next to a wall that has power in it on the left side. I can try to run the signal down the right but routing the power cables across to the left side might be a pain. I wonder if putting some metal screen or aluminum foil on the sheetrock would block any EMI that is coming from the power lines in the wall.
post #386 of 2168 Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post

I used a middle atlantic rk20 for something like you describe and have been very happy.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!!

Jon

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
post #387 of 2168 Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 AM

post #388 of 2168 Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 AM

aramb,

Are those Triad in-ceiling speakers?
post #389 of 2168 Old 11-04-2008, 05:31 AM

Viator50:

Yep... they sure are Triads... the ones over the seating area are the Triad InWall Silver/4 Surrounds (dipoles). The two on either side of the projector are the Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omnis. This setup was recommended by Paul Scarpelli of Triad and it worked out real nice!

AramB
post #390 of 2168 Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Very nice. I too went with Triad after many hours of reading here. I can not tell you how happy I am that I did.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page