AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's some nice equipment!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Liked: 10
Here is a simple cabinet-style I designed for a customer. He wanted small and simple with a slot for his centre channel speaker. The closest thing we could find off a shelf was nearly $1200. This only cost him about $200 in parts. That's the MDF, 2-pairs of rackrails, the rackshelves, etc. It is not completed just yet, there is a subwoofer power amp that will be mounted below the Onkyo receiver, but you get the idea.

Attachment 159678
LL
post #723 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

KingLeer, I'm with Dale 2 posts above me. That is an awesome job you did! I would like to build something like that for my own theatre when we get around to finishing the basement, so I'll be saving your pics for reference, and eagerly awaiting installation photos too.

P.S. Where did you source all the hardware? Is it MA parts, or something else?

I'm not sure what brand the rack rails are. They are the type that requires clip-in inserts, which allows you to use a mix of 10-32 and 8-32 screws depending on the insert chosen. Several of the shelves ARE Middle Atlantic, as are all of my lacing bars and cable management loops (not pictured here). I had to cut the rack rails down to fit my design, and I still have the other portion of the rails (about 10 rack spaces in height). If someone is interested, PM me.

I bought almost everything hardware-wise from a local electronics and parts surplus store. Several of the shelves were quite the worse for wear, but it was nothing a bit of sanding and 3 coats of textured Rustoleum could not rectify. I also bought a few of the 2-space shelves from Monoprice.com. They were quite heavy duty, but I'm not thrilled with the front "lip" that they come with; it makes putting non-footed gear in them difficult (like my Samsung BD-P1600 with a front-flip down door).

I bought industrial casters, each rated at over 500 pounds (again from the surplus store). I had to design my rack such that about 1/2 of the casters were recessed, otherwise I was going to get that "tide's coming in" look.

For any of you comtemplating building your own, rack, know that the tolerances for spacing between the rack rails is critically important. Measure numerous times, and use "dummy" rack panels to maintain correct spacing during assembly. Also, if you can manage it, build your rack with both front and rear rack rails. Having rails on the backside of the rack makes it super easy to integrate additional gear you might not need direct access to (i.e. network patch panels, IR receivers) and solid mountings for cable management (lacing bars and rings).

At the moment, I'm strongly considering a rack panel on the rear of my rack with speaker binding posts and "leads" to the back of my receiver to make my connections between the wallplate and the rack neater and prevent stressing the connections on my receiver.

post #724 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Nice racks!!

So I'm looking to get a rack that will install in millwork but have rear access so no need for it to pull out and rotate. When I go to the Mid Atlantic website I get sensory overload. Not very easy to navigate...at least for me.

Can anyone suggest which rack would work for my needs? One that looks like this and can be accessed from the rear:

Thanks!
post #725 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Anyone know what happened to Chris Knout from Stayonline/Buyrackgear? I was just informed he is no longer there... I was disappointed as he was a HUGE help to me this past summer when I purchased my rack...
post #726 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have the part number for that lacing bar? I'm messing around with RackTools and there are a few in there.

Thanks!

post #727 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 PM

the M/A catalog is available for download also and it shows pics of all the lacing bars. Adding it to the racktools really does nothing in the program except add the cost, if you have access.
post #728 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM

BTW, that looks like Aram's rack and it is top notch ($$$)
post #729 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodcat View Post

the M/A catalog is available for download also and it shows pics of all the lacing bars. Adding it to the racktools really does nothing in the program except add the cost, if you have access.

Thanks, yes, I just wanted to add it in RT so I could run the Quote or PO and have everything together.
post #730 of 2179 Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Anyone have the part number for that lacing bar? I'm messing around with RackTools and there are a few in there.

Thanks!

I *think* it's LBP-1A

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac...blem.htm#lbars
post #731 of 2179 Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWalters View Post

Here is a simple cabinet-style I designed for a customer. He wanted small and simple with a slot for his centre channel speaker. The closest thing we could find off a shelf was nearly $1200. This only cost him about $200 in parts. That's the MDF, 2-pairs of rackrails, the rackshelves, etc. It is not completed just yet, there is a subwoofer power amp that will be mounted below the Onkyo receiver, but you get the idea.

That is sweet looking man. Nice work.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #732 of 2179 Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Attachment 159678

Man, that looks great. I can't wait to build mine.
post #733 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Thanks!

Hi mate. They are the LBP-1A that I used-

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oducts_id=2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post

Anyone know what happened to Chris Knout from Stayonline/Buyrackgear? I was just informed he is no longer there... I was disappointed as he was a HUGE help to me this past summer when I purchased my rack...

He left Stayonline as I was going to order via them. But with him gone their pricing was to expensive. Luckily I found PerformanceAudio which also have $5 off $100 and $15 off $300 multiple use coupons with free shipping so I scored my gear from their.

The RSH4A Custom Rack Shelves cost me $96.42 shipped each which I was extremely happy with
post #734 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM

What is a good width for a rack? I am currently framing my HT room and want to keep this in mind.
post #735 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooomi View Post

Man, that looks great. I can't wait to build mine.

If you want the plans I can send/post them if it helps you at all with your own...
post #736 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 View Post

What is a good width for a rack? I am currently framing my HT room and want to keep this in mind.

Standard rack width is 19".

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #737 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post

Standard rack width is 19".

Rack equipment is 19" width standard. The actual width of the rack will be some value larger than that, typically anywhere from 21" - 24" depending on make and model. In my experience with building a custom rack, the rails themselves will immediately add 0.5" to each side, and then whatever additional material that the rails mount to will need to be factored in.

post #738 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

Rack equipment is 19" width standard. The actual width of the rack will be some value larger than that, typically anywhere from 21" - 24" depending on make and model. In my experience with building a custom rack, the rails themselves will immediately add 0.5" to each side, and then whatever additional material that the rails mount to will need to be factored in.

Great. Thanks guys.
post #739 of 2179 Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Liked: 20
Nothing it mounted yet - but I had to post the beginning. It's ERK-4025 40U Middle Atlantic.

With sides and a rear door:

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #740 of 2179 Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

Nothing it mounted yet - but I had to post the beginning. It's ERK-4025 40U Middle Atlantic.

So far so good! Don't forget to repost when you get it loaded up.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #741 of 2179 Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

My Wife said she didn't want to look at equipment.

very nice
post #742 of 2179 Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:

If you want the plans I can send/post them if it helps you at all with your own...

That would be fantastic!
Also, what paint/technique did you use?
I'll PM you in case you don't check back on this thread.
post #743 of 2179 Old 12-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Liked: 15
Soon i shall have my pics up. but does anyone happen to have a Custom fit rack shelf for an Onkyo 875, or Pio 1014 AVR's ?? I'm aware i can get them made from M.A. but i just thought i'd see whats on here?

/ / / This is The Tower! / / /
post #744 of 2179 Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Liked: 15
Trey S, thats sweet setup, and im laughin as im asking, Did you have to cut into your celing to make it fit? cause in my mind thats how its done. "Well the roof is to low,.. so get the saw" Well done!

/ / / This is The Tower! / / /
post #745 of 2179 Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towercontrol View Post

Soon i shall have my pics up. but does anyone happen to have a Custom fit rack shelf for an Onkyo 875, or Pio 1014 AVR's ?? I'm aware i can get them made from M.A. but i just thought i'd see whats on here?

I have been able to pick up a decent amount of used stuff on ebay. You just have to be patient and keep checking.

post #746 of 2179 Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just replaced my PS3 with a newer PS3 slim model; also needed to replace the mid atlantic shelf & face plate due to the smaller size. If someone is interested in the old shelf & faceplate, send me a pm.

post #747 of 2179 Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just wondering but what is everyone doing for their cooling situation ? noticed alot of you guys have totally enclosed racks it has to be building alot of heat in there. I ask bc i started a new thread about my situation in this forum, there are pictures of my homemade rack.

joe
post #748 of 2179 Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohojo7 View Post

just wondering but what is everyone doing for their cooling situation ? noticed alot of you guys have totally enclosed racks it has to be building alot of heat in there. I ask bc i started a new thread about my situation in this forum, there are pictures of my homemade rack.

joe

^^

I would check out customavrack.com for questions or issues on cooling:

http://customavrack.com/Category/229...anagement.aspx

They seem to be the Middle Atlantic rack gurus. They carry all of the Middle Atlantic fans and whatnot, plus they link to Middle Atlantic's thermal management calculator and cooling white paper at that page right there

As far as your statement about having totally enclosed racks goes, usually they do that with a combination of intake and exhaust fans. For instance, Middle Atlantic's CLS-COOL series has an intake fan panel that goes near the bottom, sucks up the cooler air from the floor, then the cool air passes over your equipment as it rises inside your rack. Then you use the CLS-COOL exhaust panel at the top to suck all of that warm air out. I think they have a diagram somewhere on their site that shows the different air streams
post #749 of 2179 Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM

What is the model number of your rack?
post #750 of 2179 Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghodge View Post

Finally finished up my rack a few weeks ago. Not the best pics in the world, but should show some of the detail work and all the velcro!!. 42U MA pullout rack. From top to bottom; SA 8300HD Cable box, PS3, Sonos ZP90, 4U DVD utility drawer, Onkyo SR886, Wii, Apple TV, Belkin Power Conditioner, Emotiva XPA-5.

What is the model number of the rack?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page