Show me your RACK - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 2183 Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Member
 
Sir Meili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sunny Sebring, FL
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
That seems somewhat counter productive and makes the things with the blinky lights and knobs even more desirable. I mean my 2 yr old grandson knows about using chairs and such to get to higher things but doesn't use that knowledge for bad or forbidden purposes. Good parenting seems to me a better alternative to deliberately making things inconvenient. Just my 2¢...
I will say that once, the 5y/o turned off the power conditioner (I think he was 4 at the time). He did not get into "trouble", but he was told to not do it again. I mean, after all, it only interrupted his TV watching. He didn't do it again, not once. Now I have a 10 month old who is starting to walk around. Good parenting or not, it would be more than inconvenient to have to turn it all back on every time he turns it off. It will also, in my opinion, be a bit safer for him to not have access to those electronics until he is older. With another one on the way, I think the day it took to redo the rack was worth it, "good" parenting or not.

Secondly, this actually places all the things that people actually need to access at the bottom (gaming systems and drawers). There is little to no reason for anyone to ever touch the reciever, power conditioner/UPS, or HTPC. We have a remote for accessing those.

But I would really like to thank you for judging my parenting skills based on 1 post in a forum. Bravo for you

*and if I seem a bit peeved off, it's because I am. And you can keep your 2¢
Keith Mickunas likes this.
Sir Meili is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 2183 Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 764
More photos
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jv...?sort=3&page=1


My Rack - Cooper Industries B-Line V-Line
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ual-hinge.html


Rack before install:



My Gear:



Cut out made:

Slid in:



Final:
NicksHitachi likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #2163 of 2183 Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Meili View Post
I will say that once, the 5y/o turned off the power conditioner (I think he was 4 at the time). He did not get into "trouble", but he was told to not do it again. I mean, after all, it only interrupted his TV watching. He didn't do it again, not once. Now I have a 10 month old who is starting to walk around. Good parenting or not, it would be more than inconvenient to have to turn it all back on every time he turns it off. It will also, in my opinion, be a bit safer for him to not have access to those electronics until he is older. With another one on the way, I think the day it took to redo the rack was worth it, "good" parenting or not.

Secondly, this actually places all the things that people actually need to access at the bottom (gaming systems and drawers). There is little to no reason for anyone to ever touch the reciever, power conditioner/UPS, or HTPC. We have a remote for accessing those.

But I would really like to thank you for judging my parenting skills based on 1 post in a forum. Bravo for you

*and if I seem a bit peeved off, it's because I am. And you can keep your 2¢
Sorry. My remark(s) weren't intended to judge or peeve you off, rather to point out that children should be raised to respect other's property. Anyway, it works for you. So back to the topic.
olyteddy is online now  
post #2164 of 2183 Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Keith Mickunas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wylie, TX, USA
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Sorry. My remark(s) weren't intended to judge or peeve you off, rather to point out that children should be raised to respect other's property. Anyway, it works for you. So back to the topic.
Accidents happen with little kids, that's just life. You can take action to minimize those, like using tamper resistant electrical outlets, keeping medicine and cleaning products that they may consume out of their reach, etc. Sir Meilie seems like the kind of parent that wisely takes precautions which frankly is good parenting.
Jonny5nz likes this.
Keith Mickunas is online now  
post #2165 of 2183 Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Sorry. My remark(s) weren't intended to judge or peeve you off, rather to point out that children should be raised to respect other's property. Anyway, it works for you. So back to the topic.

"Before I married, I had three theories about raising children and no children. Now, I have three children and no theories." - John Wilmot


But this works a charm in keeping little fingers away from knobs and flashy lights!



The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #2166 of 2183 Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Member
 
PGTweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Telford,Tennessee USA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
"Before I married, I had three theories about raising children and no children. Now, I have three children and no theories." - John Wilmot


But this works a charm in keeping little fingers away from knobs and flashy lights!


As Red Green from The Red Green Show observed. "The Handyman's secret weapon: Ducktape.
ellisr63 likes this.
PGTweed is offline  
post #2167 of 2183 Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 232
As a maintenance man for a large retirement community I know only these three things:

1) If it doesn't move (and should) use WD-40.
2) If it does move (and shouldn't) use duct tape.
3) Payday is Friday.


olyteddy is online now  
post #2168 of 2183 Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
As a maintenance man for a large retirement community I know only these three things:

1) If it doesn't move (and should) use WD-40.
2) If it does move (and shouldn't) use duct tape.
3) Payday is Friday.


I'm confused, does 1 - 3 apply just to the retirees or the facilities as well?

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #2169 of 2183 Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Goshwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ont
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My long overdue rack shot.

Goshwin is offline  
post #2170 of 2183 Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Newbie
 
top notch design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's some of our recent installs...













A properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
top notch design is offline  
post #2171 of 2183 Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by top notch design View Post
here's some of our recent installs...













a properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
wow!!!
brickyardz likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #2172 of 2183 Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Field's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quick question, for you guys who have your racks on the side or behind the TV/Sound system, how do you manage the remotes line-of-sight? Do you have to point your remote behind you to change channel/vol/control devices/etc?
Field is offline  
post #2173 of 2183 Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Member
 
scraejtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field View Post
Quick question, for you guys who have your racks on the side or behind the TV/Sound system, how do you manage the remotes line-of-sight? Do you have to point your remote behind you to change channel/vol/control devices/etc?
Lots of options. I use a rather simple (cheap) Harmony Ultimate One/Hub. Essentially a decent/simple interface that uses a hub and IR blaster for your components. Works with your smartphone as well, and is starting to play nice with other smart components. (Lights, HVAC, etc.)
scraejtp is offline  
post #2174 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field View Post
Quick question, for you guys who have your racks on the side or behind the TV/Sound system, how do you manage the remotes line-of-sight? Do you have to point your remote behind you to change channel/vol/control devices/etc?
Typically, a IR repeater is used in the rack. It will have small IR emitters plugged into it and those will be attached to the front of the equipment in the rack. The remote(s) will communicate with the repeater either via RF signals or through the use of an IR receiver placed somewhere at the front of the room. RF remotes are typically easier as you don't have to worry about aiming for the IR receiver. An IR receiver would allow using the factory IR remotes if necessary.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #2175 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by top notch design View Post
Here's some of our recent installs...






A properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
Very nice indeed.

In the pic above, what are the amps at the top for? Always been curious why people use these. Figured it's either for other zones, or because a surround processror or pre-amp is used instead of a receiver. Looks like there is an AVR in this rack though.

Regards

Mark
ellisr63 likes this.
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #2176 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
In the pic above, what are the amps at the top for? Always been curious why people use these. Figured it's either for other zones, or because a surround processror or pre-amp is used instead of a receiver. Looks like there is an AVR in this rack though.
Some folks prefer using external amps instead of those built into the AVR. Sound quality and power typically being the reasons. But then when you start wandering down that road a whole lot of 'audiophile beliefs' come into play. What you or I might consider perfectly respectable, others might find utterly unacceptable.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #2177 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Newbie
 
top notch design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Very nice indeed.

In the pic above, what are the amps at the top for? Always been curious why people use these. Figured it's either for other zones, or because a surround processror or pre-amp is used instead of a receiver. Looks like there is an AVR in this rack though.

Regards

Mark
Distributed audio Amps. That house has 15 zones of audio
top notch design is offline  
post #2178 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
But then when you start wandering down that road a whole lot of 'audiophile beliefs' come into play. What you or I might consider perfectly respectable, others might find utterly unacceptable.
Very true
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #2179 of 2183 Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by top notch design View Post
Distributed audio Amps. That house has 15 zones of audio
Thanks
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #2180 of 2183 Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Member
 
traider79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of looking for an in the wall rack I went through numerous pages in this thread I think I an going to go with the Middle Atlantic ERK-4025 Rack.


I do have a few questions about it though:

I love the open look in the front but having kids that touch things should I go with the vented front?

Is there another brand or make of shelves that are cheaper than the MA ones?

I think customavracks has really good pricing anyone have a better source?
traider79 is online now  
post #2181 of 2183 Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Member
 
traider79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of looking for an in the wall rack I went through numerous pages in this thread I think I an going to go with the Middle Atlantic ERK-4025 Rack.


I do have a few questions about it though:

I love the open look in the front but having kids that touch things should I go with the vented front?

Is there another brand or make of shelves that are cheaper than the MA ones?

I think customavracks has really good pricing anyone have a better source?
traider79 is online now  
post #2182 of 2183 Old 10-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
auburnu008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by traider79 View Post
I am in the process of looking for an in the wall rack I went through numerous pages in this thread I think I an going to go with the Middle Atlantic ERK-4025 Rack.


I do have a few questions about it though:

I love the open look in the front but having kids that touch things should I go with the vented front?

Is there another brand or make of shelves that are cheaper than the MA ones?

I think customavracks has really good pricing anyone have a better source?
I have the ERK series. Great racks. The best on the market in my opinion.

I believe Monoprice sells cheaper shelves.

I have about (10) 2 unit Middle Atlantic shelves I would get you a good deal on if you need those. I just ordered all custom face plates and shelves from customavracks so I do not need them.

customavracks was great to deal with. Very good experience.

War Eagle!
auburnu008 is offline  
post #2183 of 2183 Old 10-17-2014, 02:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,071
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 679
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off