20Likes

post #2161 of 2179 Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
That seems somewhat counter productive and makes the things with the blinky lights and knobs even more desirable. I mean my 2 yr old grandson knows about using chairs and such to get to higher things but doesn't use that knowledge for bad or forbidden purposes. Good parenting seems to me a better alternative to deliberately making things inconvenient. Just my 2¢...
I will say that once, the 5y/o turned off the power conditioner (I think he was 4 at the time). He did not get into "trouble", but he was told to not do it again. I mean, after all, it only interrupted his TV watching. He didn't do it again, not once. Now I have a 10 month old who is starting to walk around. Good parenting or not, it would be more than inconvenient to have to turn it all back on every time he turns it off. It will also, in my opinion, be a bit safer for him to not have access to those electronics until he is older. With another one on the way, I think the day it took to redo the rack was worth it, "good" parenting or not.

Secondly, this actually places all the things that people actually need to access at the bottom (gaming systems and drawers). There is little to no reason for anyone to ever touch the reciever, power conditioner/UPS, or HTPC. We have a remote for accessing those.

But I would really like to thank you for judging my parenting skills based on 1 post in a forum. Bravo for you

*and if I seem a bit peeved off, it's because I am. And you can keep your 2¢
Keith Mickunas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2179 Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 675
More photos
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jv...?sort=3&page=1

My Rack - Cooper Industries B-Line V-Line
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ual-hinge.html

Rack before install:

My Gear:

Cut out made:

Slid in:

Final:
NicksHitachi likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2163 of 2179 Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Meili View Post
I will say that once, the 5y/o turned off the power conditioner (I think he was 4 at the time). He did not get into "trouble", but he was told to not do it again. I mean, after all, it only interrupted his TV watching. He didn't do it again, not once. Now I have a 10 month old who is starting to walk around. Good parenting or not, it would be more than inconvenient to have to turn it all back on every time he turns it off. It will also, in my opinion, be a bit safer for him to not have access to those electronics until he is older. With another one on the way, I think the day it took to redo the rack was worth it, "good" parenting or not.

Secondly, this actually places all the things that people actually need to access at the bottom (gaming systems and drawers). There is little to no reason for anyone to ever touch the reciever, power conditioner/UPS, or HTPC. We have a remote for accessing those.

But I would really like to thank you for judging my parenting skills based on 1 post in a forum. Bravo for you

*and if I seem a bit peeved off, it's because I am. And you can keep your 2¢
Sorry. My remark(s) weren't intended to judge or peeve you off, rather to point out that children should be raised to respect other's property. Anyway, it works for you. So back to the topic.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #2164 of 2179 Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Sorry. My remark(s) weren't intended to judge or peeve you off, rather to point out that children should be raised to respect other's property. Anyway, it works for you. So back to the topic.
Accidents happen with little kids, that's just life. You can take action to minimize those, like using tamper resistant electrical outlets, keeping medicine and cleaning products that they may consume out of their reach, etc. Sir Meilie seems like the kind of parent that wisely takes precautions which frankly is good parenting.
Jonny5nz likes this.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #2165 of 2179 Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

"Before I married, I had three theories about raising children and no children. Now, I have three children and no theories." - John Wilmot

But this works a charm in keeping little fingers away from knobs and flashy lights!

post #2166 of 2179 Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
"Before I married, I had three theories about raising children and no children. Now, I have three children and no theories." - John Wilmot

But this works a charm in keeping little fingers away from knobs and flashy lights!

As Red Green from The Red Green Show observed. "The Handyman's secret weapon: Ducktape.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #2167 of 2179 Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
As a maintenance man for a large retirement community I know only these three things:

1) If it doesn't move (and should) use WD-40.
2) If it does move (and shouldn't) use duct tape.
3) Payday is Friday.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #2168 of 2179 Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
As a maintenance man for a large retirement community I know only these three things:

1) If it doesn't move (and should) use WD-40.
2) If it does move (and shouldn't) use duct tape.
3) Payday is Friday.

I'm confused, does 1 - 3 apply just to the retirees or the facilities as well?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #2169 of 2179 Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My long overdue rack shot.

post #2170 of 2179 Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's some of our recent installs...

A properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
post #2171 of 2179 Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by top notch design View Post
here's some of our recent installs...

a properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
wow!!!
brickyardz likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #2172 of 2179 Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quick question, for you guys who have your racks on the side or behind the TV/Sound system, how do you manage the remotes line-of-sight? Do you have to point your remote behind you to change channel/vol/control devices/etc?
post #2173 of 2179 Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field View Post
Quick question, for you guys who have your racks on the side or behind the TV/Sound system, how do you manage the remotes line-of-sight? Do you have to point your remote behind you to change channel/vol/control devices/etc?
Lots of options. I use a rather simple (cheap) Harmony Ultimate One/Hub. Essentially a decent/simple interface that uses a hub and IR blaster for your components. Works with your smartphone as well, and is starting to play nice with other smart components. (Lights, HVAC, etc.)
post #2174 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field View Post
Typically, a IR repeater is used in the rack. It will have small IR emitters plugged into it and those will be attached to the front of the equipment in the rack. The remote(s) will communicate with the repeater either via RF signals or through the use of an IR receiver placed somewhere at the front of the room. RF remotes are typically easier as you don't have to worry about aiming for the IR receiver. An IR receiver would allow using the factory IR remotes if necessary.
post #2175 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's some of our recent installs...

A properly executed rack is a true thing of beauty.
Very nice indeed.

In the pic above, what are the amps at the top for? Always been curious why people use these. Figured it's either for other zones, or because a surround processror or pre-amp is used instead of a receiver. Looks like there is an AVR in this rack though.

Regards

Mark
ellisr63 likes this.
post #2176 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
In the pic above, what are the amps at the top for? Always been curious why people use these. Figured it's either for other zones, or because a surround processror or pre-amp is used instead of a receiver. Looks like there is an AVR in this rack though.
Some folks prefer using external amps instead of those built into the AVR. Sound quality and power typically being the reasons. But then when you start wandering down that road a whole lot of 'audiophile beliefs' come into play. What you or I might consider perfectly respectable, others might find utterly unacceptable.
post #2177 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Very nice indeed.

Regards

Mark
Distributed audio Amps. That house has 15 zones of audio
post #2178 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
But then when you start wandering down that road a whole lot of 'audiophile beliefs' come into play. What you or I might consider perfectly respectable, others might find utterly unacceptable.
Very true
post #2179 of 2179 Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Distributed audio Amps. That house has 15 zones of audio
Thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction