Show me your RACK - Page 74 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #2191 of 2203 Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ive started to get the paint on the walls, going for grey and a blue colour combo. Lowes had a deal on Valspar reserve and Olympic one which goes on very well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2203 Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've never been a big fan of pulling a lot of room air directly in through the equipment. This can lead to a lot of dust being pulled into the gear. This makes it a hassle to keep them clean because they have to be disassembled. Otherwise the collecting dust starts causing the internal components to be unable to release their heat effectively, leading to the device failing. That and pulling them out to get them open for cleaning means moving wires and risking damaging those in the process.

Better to have a door on the rack with a filter panel of some sort. This way the ambient air gets pulled through the filter first. You'd be (unpleasantly) surprised to see how much gunk collects. Especially if there's pets, smoking or the area gets a lot of foot traffic. But you'd also need to consider if that introduces undue restrictions on the HVAC system, which can greatly impact it's performance/lifespan.

I make this point because the way you've described it makes it seem like a lot of the room's return air depends on going through that route. I don't know that I'd make that choice because of the dust and it's impact on the gear (both AV and HVAC).

I appreciate your advice but I took all this into consideration over the couple of years planning this out. OCD can do that to ya and dust is no friend of the obsessive.

The room has a single point of entry which is closed off to the rest of the world. The only way air circulates through the room is by the pair of supplies in the rear. There is a pair of pantyhose stretched across each boot behind each grill on EACH end of the supply legs. This prevent dust from entering the room and are easily vacuumed when the need arises.

There are two returns. One opened to the whole room in the front and one inside the equipment room. They both draw air across the whole room. The Panasonic exhaust fan is rated at 440CFM via it's 8" inlet. This is split into a pair of 6" lines in the HT room. So far it works pretty good. The HVAC is a self contained unit (minisplit) located in the room. It has no interaction with outside air and actually acts as a psuedo air filter itself due to the filters contained within it.

"This aint my first rodeo "

FWIW, my profession also dictated a lot of my design. I'm an EE and work in the technical support arm of Alcatel-Lucent supporting engineers & technicians at Verizon, Sprint, AT&T....I've seen plenty of of routers, cell sites, switches...meet their demise and host all sorts of issues due to dust, hair, insects...infiltrating the equipment.

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II

Last edited by rms8; 11-11-2014 at 07:30 AM.
post #2193 of 2203 Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great thread!

I came across a ERK-4425 44RU locally. Would this be suitable for normal audio equipment?

http://www.markertek.com/product/erk...ear-door-black

Last edited by fmzip; 11-14-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #2194 of 2203 Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Great thread!

I came across a ERK-4425 44RU locally. Would this be suitable for normal audio equipment?

http://www.markertek.com/product/erk...ear-door-black
Absolutely. Great rack.
post #2195 of 2203 Old 11-15-2014, 01:13 AM

Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr47
Well, I'm glad to finally get to throw my hat into the ring! Its still a work in progress, but here is my rack that I pulled out of an abandoned building and shined up! Equipment from bottom to top: Denon X3000 receiver, HTPC in Silverstone LC17B case, Oppo BDP-103D Blu-Ray player/video processor, Xbox 360, and a PS3. Everything is being powered by a Tripp-Lite 2440Watt on-line UPS. I also used Middle Atlantic Custom shelves/Brushed aluminum face plates for everything.

I have a lot planned for the rack, but I quickly ran out of money hahahaha! I still need to run the networking for everything as well as all of my serial cables for the automation, but I'm getting there. In the future I plan to add a Parrasound A31 amplifier for just my front channel speakers and let the receiver take care of the surrounds. I am also hoping to get some crowson actuators and a proper amp for those as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-30 20.51.20.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	367721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-22 22.12.58.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	367729  
post #2196 of 2203 Old 11-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are most of the faceplates made out of on common racks? I have a CNC Plasma table and I was considering cutting them out of stainless or aluminum? Any preferences on material?
post #2197 of 2203 Old 11-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarVector View Post
What are most of the faceplates made out of on common racks? I have a CNC Plasma table and I was considering cutting them out of stainless or aluminum? Any preferences on material?
Which ever is cheaper is what I would get. Doesn't really matter because I am assuming that you are going to paint them anyway. The face plates that come from MA are made out of some type of steel. Can't really tell what type because they are painted, but I doubt it is stainless.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2198 of 2203 Old 11-15-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I expect any anodized face plates are aluminum. They are very light weight.
My blank face plates are all steel save for one aluminum . My ventilated
plates are all steel.

My ventilated plates were ordered, while the ventilated and blanks (and most
of my newer style shelves) were all ebay'ed on the cheap. Hence the mixture.
They'll all be getting a matching rattle can hammered finish in the spring, once
I am done with some electronic upgrades.

I've been toying with investing in a CNC router and make my own MDF face
plates, as I tend to upgrade often. So I think your idea has some great merit.
You could even invest in a metal brake, and make your own shelves, with that
plasma cutter.
post #2199 of 2203 Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Take a look at my rack

That monitor is actually the desktop to the media server. The screen saver is one of those old school flip clocks from the 70's. I turn the brightness setting to its lowest.
I spy a LG FP14K (clone?) and a seriously awesome custom painted iNuke...

Niiiice!!!
post #2200 of 2203 Old 11-16-2014, 02:49 AM

Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarVector View Post
All of my face plates are anodized aluminum and the vented blanks are steel.
post #2201 of 2203 Old 11-16-2014, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I expect any anodized face plates are aluminum. They are very light weight.
My blank face plates are all steel save for one aluminum . My ventilated
plates are all steel.

My ventilated plates were ordered, while the ventilated and blanks (and most
of my newer style shelves) were all ebay'ed on the cheap. Hence the mixture.
They'll all be getting a matching rattle can hammered finish in the spring, once
I am done with some electronic upgrades.

I've been toying with investing in a CNC router and make my own MDF face
plates, as I tend to upgrade often. So I think your idea has some great merit.
You could even invest in a metal brake, and make your own shelves, with that
plasma cutter.

That'll work. I have tons of scrap 14ga that I can use for the face plates. I think a CNC router would be fun to have. I do have a metal brake and hadn't even considered making my own shelves. I think I may now. I hate to buy anything that I can build myself.
post #2202 of 2203 Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You also might check out Craigslist's for used racks. Buying one with shelves
might be another good option as you could modify the shelves for ventilation and
clamp down slots.

The bigger savings is in face plates and shelves tend to be reusable when making
electronic upgrades.
post #2203 of 2203 Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I spy a LG FP14K (clone?) and a seriously awesome custom painted iNuke...

Niiiice!!!

Yes, the clone powers the 8 FiCar IB318'. 4 up front and 2 each in each rear corner. The rear corners are on a 45degree angle.

8 18" IB subs in Concrete Bunker HT

The iNuke look so distracting being silver in the black rack. I really didn't do anything special with it. I just took some grog tape and taped the glossy part in the front. Then I sprayed it flat black with some Krylon. Best part is, I only sprayed what you see once installed. The rest of the case is still silver. The iNuke just powers the second pair of Side Surrounds since I can add delay (to avoid any comb filtering) via the iNuke.
popalock likes this.

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page