Show me your RACK - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 100Likes
post #2341 of 2357 Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 388
@eng-399 do you have any pics of your theater? Your rack looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2357 Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
@eng-399 do you have any pics of your theater? Your rack looks great.
Yes I do and thanks!!! The granite for the back bar comes this Friday at 9am so please don't mind the empty counter back there. The entire HT room and basement was all done by me except the drywall and trim work I just don't have the time with work and kids. The next post will be pictures. I work in the trades so building and fabricating things come easy.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html
2015 GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)

Last edited by eng-399; 07-01-2015 at 07:44 PM.
post #2343 of 2357 Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Show me your RACK

The front looks a little different now I moved things around but same speakers and subs up there it looks more uniform now.
Looking on adding 2 more 18's down there for nearfield bass which would bring me to 6 18's and doing Atmos to. It's been a lot of work but the room sounds good. Sub boxes are tuned to 16hz at 20 cubic feet each. Ran rew in the room and it's flat all the way down to 10hz.

Last edited by eng-399; 07-03-2015 at 10:03 PM.
post #2344 of 2357 Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great! Is your theater in a basement or upstairs on a second floor? You will love the nearfiled!
eng-399 likes this.
post #2345 of 2357 Old 07-02-2015, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Looks great! Is your theater in a basement or upstairs on a second floor? You will love the nearfiled!
How 'near' does 'nearfied' need to be to be 'near'? Serious question, because I'm considering it.
post #2346 of 2357 Old 07-02-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
How 'near' does 'nearfied' need to be to be 'near'? Serious question, because I'm considering it.

I have been in several conversations about this and the true answer is within 12 inches of your head. Now, that is really not practical nor would I want a sub that close to my head. Other people say within 3'. My nearfiled subs are about 3-4" behind my seats and do a great job. I am also on a second floor and that makes the experience a lot better imo.

Eq'ing nearfield subs is subjective. I personally tune them with a giant house curve from 5hz sloping down the rest of the bandwidth because I don't need the upper end of the bandwidth that close to me. I think it makes a perfectly seamless response with the rest of my subs in my theater and I have tried many ways and hours and hours of tuning my theater. Right now I am so happy with the way my theater sounds. I watch Jupiter Ascending last night, and that movie beat me up! The audio mix was fantastic and the bass was really intense. The movie sucked IMO, but that audio track made it tolerable.
post #2347 of 2357 Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Show me your RACK

Quote:

The room is in the basement. 3 of the walls are surrounded by the concrete. The room is 31 feet long and the width of the room is narrow at 12.5 feet were the screen is then it opens up another 1.5 feet then again in the back another 1.5 feet weird shaped room but it works for me. The ceiling drywalled is 8'6". The bass is crazy loud and when your in the back of the room your pants shake when it's turned up like papalocks old HT room with his 16 18's in there. Looking at Buttkickers when the wife and kids are down there. Lots of fun down there.
Pain Infliction likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 07-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #2348 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is this MA rack good for HT?

I found this MA rack on craigslist but haven't offered for it yet.
Middle Atlantic Products
Model: PTRK-2726
56" x 22.5 x 26
Most of the MA racks here in the thread are some other series, ERK and such.
I will start with an AVR and a TiVo, and a BD player of course. Maybe later something like a Lumagen or such.
So, not much equipment (don't know enough yet!)

What do you think?
Paul

Last edited by ArmyMan; 07-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.
post #2349 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The room is in the basement. 3 of the walls are surrounded by the concrete. The room is 31 feet long and the width of the room is narrow at 12.5 feet were the screen is then it opens up another 1.5 feet then again in the back another 1.5 feet weird shaped room but it works for me. The ceiling drywalled is 8'6". The bass is crazy loud and when your in the back of the room your pants shake when it's turned up like papalocks old HT room with his 16 18's in there. Looking at Buttkickers when the wife and kids are down there. Lots of fun down there.
eng-399;

That's one great looking HT! Congrats!

I really like the carpet you used. May I ask what brand/model/type it is, where you got it from, and how much a sqft is?

Thanks!
_____
Axel

post #2350 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Show me your RACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
eng-399;

That's one great looking HT! Congrats!

I really like the carpet you used. May I ask what brand/model/type it is, where you got it from, and how much a sqft is?

Thanks!
_____
Axel

I think I paid around 2,000$ with installation with the best padding I'll have to look at the receipt and get back to you tonight on how much per sq feet they charged. The place was Olsen rug and carpet in Naperville Il. The name of the carpet is dark room here's a picture. This was the hardest thing to pick out in the room! I spend days looking at other people's rooms and asking them about there carpet. I hope this helps you with your Choice.

One thing I will add is a big thanks to my wife who let me pick out everything a-z in this room with no arguments. The only trade off was the rest of the basement she picked out everything else.
Axel likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 07-04-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #2351 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mohawk Floorscapes - Dark Room #117 .... got it!
(Amazing that you have pictures of the display - very helpful!)

With that I should be able to find a local source in my area.

Thanks!
_____
Axel
eng-399 likes this.

post #2352 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Another tip guys if ordering pro audio amps and other gear including audio rack pieces go to sweetwater.com and ask for a better price they always have gone down in price for me.

post #2353 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Great looking room! What chairs are those? Looks like maybe Palliser Media? How do you like them and what material/color is that? Seems to have a matte finish (which is what I am looking for).
post #2354 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
As near as possible and practical, literally. The challenge is that typically one cannot have a large subwoofer right behind them for aesthetic or layout reasons. Except in some cases if you sit in the last row and can put a sub behind that, that can work well. An alternative is to put "balancing" subs in-wall to the left and/or right of the MLP, and possibly other locations. This can work well especially if you have "fake walls" such as for speakers and room treatments.
post #2355 of 2357 Old 07-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Great looking room! What chairs are those? Looks like maybe Palliser Media? How do you like them and what material/color is that? Seems to have a matte finish (which is what I am looking for).
Thanks for the kind words. I used rtheaters.com this company has great customer service to. I can't say enough about them. I bought these during the last holiday sale with 50$ off per seat which was around 3,600 for all 7 shipped to my front door. I'll post the link below of the thread it has lot's of pictures in it to. Happy 4th guys hope everyone had a great and safe day!

HT room seating ready to buy

post #2356 of 2357 Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Outstanding room, eng-399! Well done.

But for those with lots of detailed questions, let's keep this thread on topic - show me your rack - and move the detailed build questions to private messages or another subforum, please. There are two dedicated forums to share and discuss build details.

Thanks.
post #2357 of 2357 Unread Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
media closet underneath the basement stairs

Big fan of the "Show me your RACK" thread and thought I would share my rack pictures from my recent basement remodel.

Basically, I converted a storage closet underneath the stairwell into a media closet. From the pictures you'll notice that my tv (and maybe a future projector) hangs on the wall in front of the new media closet. On the same wall that my tv is mounted, I built an in-wall 15u rack using raxess rack rails and rackmount shelves. The back of the rack is completely accessible from the new media closet. In order for the media closet to service the whole house, I also ran new low-voltage wiring (cat6, RG6, indoor/outdoor speaker, and whole-house HDMI runs) throughout the entire house and terminated these bundles in the media closet using a 24-port gigabit switch and patch panel rack-mounted to the wall. Both of the cable boxes in my house are also stored in the media closet which I can access anywhere by using the NextGen RF remote control extender (amazing device!), a 4k HDMI splitter, and lengthy HDMI cables (some powered). I even ran an HDMI cord to my back patio! I saved a lot of money by completing all of the av-related design, wiring, and construction myself. I must admit that prior to this remodel, I had never seen or heard of an AV rackmount and also had no prior experience with terminating low-voltage wiring. I'm a big fan of simple design and realized that this closet would be the perfect central location to hide my wiring. Lucky for me, during my initial planning I stumbled upon this thread where I learned more about rackmount solution options/ideas. Reading these threads built up my confidence to create something custom, clean, functional, and unique. Overall, I tried to be as budget minded as possible, but wanted something that would be useful for the foreseeable future.

Now that my rack build is finished, I'm anxious to start upgrading my other av components (tv, 4k receiver, speakers, projector, etc.). I'm also excited to hear feedback since no one other than my cable guy has any clue what any of this stuff is! If the reviews are positive, I might even show my wife to prove this was all worth it

BTW... This is my first post on AVS Forums so hopefully the pictures have loaded correctly. Thanks again for the inspiration!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	856458   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	856466   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg