Such as:

Behind the bar rack

In a side wall

Underneath the screen

Etc.....

If time allows, comment on why you choose to do it the way you did

Thanks

#2,198 ·
I expect any anodized face plates are aluminum. They are very light weight.
My blank face plates are all steel save for one aluminum . My ventilated
plates are all steel.

My ventilated plates were ordered, while the ventilated and blanks (and most
of my newer style shelves) were all ebay'ed on the cheap. Hence the mixture.
They'll all be getting a matching rattle can hammered finish in the spring, once
I am done with some electronic upgrades.

I've been toying with investing in a CNC router and make my own MDF face
plates, as I tend to upgrade often. So I think your idea has some great merit.
You could even invest in a metal brake, and make your own shelves, with that
plasma cutter.

#2,202 ·
You also might check out Craigslist's for used racks. Buying one with shelves
might be another good option as you could modify the shelves for ventilation and
clamp down slots.

The bigger savings is in face plates and shelves tend to be reusable when making
electronic upgrades.

#2,209 ·
Is rear access an absolute requirement when building an in wall av rack?

I'm asking because I do not have a good location where I would have rear access and am now wondering if I should to build a recessed enclosure in the wall with no ventilation (similar to what fmzip's rack looks).

#2,226 · (Edited)
The height of the total enclosure would be whatever you want it to be. My inside width and depth of the shelf openings is 18". I'd go width 20" depth and a 19-20" width if you have the room. My Emotiva amps are 19 deep so I could say go 20" deep.

I had problems with the width in my setup as I wanted it centered on that wall. I couldn't go wider than the 18" inside dimension, as the sliding closet door would have hit the rack. It's a pretty tight fight as I don't have much room left or right. You can see the door jam almost hits the rack.

I used 3/4 birch from Lowes for the entire piece.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=birch+3...logId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=birch+3/4#!

My shelf height openings are 5 1/2, 7 1/2, & 9 1/2. Ideally, if you're carpenter is more crafty than me, some adjustable shelves with pegs would make life easier in case you ever want to move them up or down a few inches. The only issue with pegs is all the holes look a bit ugly.

Give your components like your preamp/pro at least 1 1/2" inches of open air above them. Amps I would suggest a good 3 inches. Mine are Class A so they can run hot. I do have an exhaust fan wired in the closet into the attic but I never use it. I may have to in the summer if I crank those amps for several hours

The trim can be had at Home Depot or Lowes:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/House-of-Fara-3-4-in-x-3-in-x-8-ft-Hardwood-Fluted-Casing-583/100082924

The little corners are here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/House-of...n-MDF-Rosette-Block-Moulding-R55MDF/202087587

The front trim for the shelves is also fluted 3/4 trim I found at Home Depot. This isn't the eaxct width but it's like it in 3/4. There are lots of cool choices for trim, take a ride to the store and check them out:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DecraMol...-and-Cabinet-Trim-Moulding-10000168/100390817

Hope this helps you. I think this setup looks less industrial and likely would be wife approved! ;)

#2,224 ·
Seeing how there's no picture of how the radiator plumbing is running, I'm not sure I'd go making assumptions about it.

By bridging I meant boxing the wall such that nothing needed to be done to the radiator at that location. Not terribly complicated. Worst case it'd be a simple matter of trimming the end of the fascia panel back. The plumbing would remain in place, unmolested.

Sure, if you're prepared to rip it all out, drywall and repaint, that's "easy". (Not really)

From a resale perspective automation and wiring for AV gear is often a BIG detractor. To then add loss of the main closet off the entry door? Double trouble. Yes, it's a really clever idea and appears very nicely done. Posting the pictures was great too (so thanks for that!)

My advice to anyone else considering a similar setup remains that it's worth thinking about building out a space for something like this as opposed to cutting into an otherwise usable space.

#2,230 · (Edited)
From a resale perspective automation and wiring for AV gear is often a BIG detractor. To then add loss of the main closet off the entry door? Double trouble. Yes, it's a really clever idea and appears very nicely done. Posting the pictures was great too (so thanks for that!)

My advice to anyone else considering a similar setup remains that it's worth thinking about building out a space for something like this as opposed to cutting into an otherwise usable space.
I'd have been more inclined toward expanding that wall outward, rather than losing closet space. In that particular room it looks like it'd have been possible to do that without significantly impacting the way the space is used. I point this out because you've now got the most fragile part of the equipment (the wires & connectors) facing toward a space like to get coats and the like crammed in it. If not by you, by guests... I'd think about setting up a perforated back panel of some sort just to eliminate the issue entirely.

It wouldn't be as simple as what you did, just cutting a hole in an existing painted wall. Bumping it out would entail putting up the studs, bridging over the radiators, drywalling and painting. But it'd keep the closet space and potentially avoid being a resale issue in the future.

Depends if its a buyer from this forum ;)

To the wind with resale value. If you plan to stay, make the home your home. Life is too short :)

My home is soooooo way over done inside and out, it will sell fast when the day comes 10 years from now. It used to be my grandmother's house so I got it 20 years ago for next to nothing. It's now a $300K home in a $180K neighborhood. There is way too many upgrades, the front closet won't be a deal breaker I am sure. But it's a very good point from a resale perspective. If done right, I doubt it's an issue. It's a built in shelf. 1/2 the closet could still be used. Not hard to bring it back to normal though, one piece of sheetrock and a 1/2 quart of paint.

I think potential home buyers would have a harder time looking past an industrial metal rack in the middle of the room than a painted wooden built in shelf that looks like it came with the house..

Also, bumping it out would have been more of PITA and would throw off the Fung Shway ;)

P.S. The entire closet is for ME. Guest's can use the bedroom bed to pop a coat on it if need be. Our main entrance is through our basement, coats go in this room which is for my headphone rig:

We have no kids, 3 bedrooms and 4 closets just like the one I took over :) It's ALL about the audio!

#2,225 ·
I'm getting an HP 10642 Rack G2 (42U) from a friend, but I'm concerned about the depth at ~40". I have the room to build a closet for a 40" deep rack... but I'd like to know if there any gotchas with running something that deep? Most of my equipment is normal depth. I doubt anything will even reach half way in a 40" cabinet.

Total Cabinet Area 78.7 x 39.691 x 24 in

Thanks!

Attachments

#2,235 ·
I was speaking from personal experience there, having cut apart a wielded
steel rack with a 4" angle grinder.

Maybe not a project for everyone, but if that rack is to be fixed in place, then
it is a very viable option.

Those metal sides could even be replaced with plywood, and become DIY face
plate material. ;)

#2,236 ·
My server rack is close to 40" deep - it has removable sides, and it's pretty easy to work in. Where it's located, I have access to the back, a side, and the front.

The depth allowed me to add a 3rd set of vertical rack rails, for oddball items and easier cable management.

But, I am eager to get rid of this behemoth - it fills most of this mechanical room. I will replace it with a 24" deep Middle Atlantic RCS/Essex.

#2,242 ·
Is anybody with a rack using a HTPC with a rackmount keyboard/lcd monitor drawer for controlling it? I dont know if I want to dink around with a wireless mouse and KB for the HTPC, Id rather be able to pull a drawer out, flip the LCD up and do whatever I have to do. I found a bunch like this one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-...2582?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c49f08076
That is pretty much what I want, but does anybody know of a better place to get a new one that isnt a fortune? I would prefer new over used if it isnt expensive.
I would like 19 inch lcd if possible and it will be going in a MA Slim 5 rack.
Anybody have any pics of their lcd/kb drawer?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

#2,243 ·
Slingblayde, I had that exact KVM unit in a computer rack in my data closet. Bought it new a few years ago for around $100 on eBay. Works great. Takes up very little space. I had it set up to switch between 4 different servers. Mine only works with VGA, no HD signals.

I pulled the rack and servers out, but I would buy it again for "utility" use.

#2,244 ·
Have you planned out all your gear first? Because by the time you stack everything up there's not always enough room left for a screen. That and you have to factor what gear you want at the height best suited for the keyboard. That and determine what, if anything you'd actually be doing while standing uncomfortably in front of the rack. I point this out from experience and failed expectations. Sometimes it's better treating the rack gear as not having any user-interaction and using a tablet or remote instead.

That said, it's best to separate the display, keyboard and KVM from each other, when possible. This way you're not stuck with the limitations of one causing problems. As in, being stuck with VGA when you need DVI/HDMI for display or PS2 keyboard when you need USB.

#2,245 ·
Poorman's Rack

I will show you mine if you show me yours! :D

Very nice setups here indeed, am jealous.

Which compels me to post my Poorman's Rack (even poor people can have fun). This ain't no dedicated home theater but the work is custom, with space-saving a main feature. Pictured are my stereo rack and unfinished network rack. It's been 4 years and nothing have come apart, even in this land of earthquakes.

Attachments

#2,246 ·
I will show you mine if you show me yours! :D

Very nice setups here indeed, am jealous.

Which compels me to post my Poorman's Rack (even poor people can have fun). This ain't no dedicated home theater but the work is custom, with space-saving a main feature. Pictured are my stereo rack and unfinished network rack. It's been 4 years and nothing have come apart, even in this land of earthquakes.
Love the network rack been there done that. lol.

#2,248 · (Edited)
Added another rack to clean up my network laying on the floor and also installed surveillance system in it as well. Note all the extra room for more amps hint hint. ;) Took me about 12 hours to get it all set up and it is paying off. Still need some more wire management but that will get done this weekend. Crappy cell phone pics but I will get better pics when it is completely done.

#2,250 ·
Added another rack to clean up my network laying on the floor and also installed surveillance system in it as well. Note all the extra room for more amps hint hint. ;) Took me about 12 hours to get it all set up and it is paying off. Still need some more wire management but that will get done this weekend. Crappy cell phone pics but I will get better pics when it is completely done.
Nice work, Pain!

I didn't realize you had a Lumagen. How do you like it?

#2,249 ·
'built' this rack for my nephew's dorm room - I'm pretty sure he like it.

#2,254 ·
No, but the reason why I like it the most is because I can watch everything in scope and it is really quick to change between NLS, 2.35, and 16:9. Of course it has all of the video calibration options as well, but the scope thing is the reason why I bought it. A lot of people don't like to watch everything is scope, but I do and i never have to worry about masking.

#2,257 ·
A Work in Progress...

Been following this thread for awhile, and I finally have my own creation to a point where I think its worth sharing:). This started off as a useless closet at the very center of the house, which was about 4ft wide, but only 13in deep. I forgot to take a picture prior to demolition, but you can tells it was pretty stupid from the outlines in the picture.

I knew with all the gear I planned to cram into a relatively small space, heat would be an issue. This is a large kitchen exhaust fan that pipes the air through the attic, and out the roof. It will empty the air out of a 450sqft romm in 1.5 minutes :eek:

The foam board was just to give me a clean starting surface. It also helps seal out dust between the old wall planks, and will help keep noise from traveling through the walls

Structured wiring panels installed (maybe not preferred way, but space was tight). All the punch-out's on the left side feed into the rack closet 6" to the left

These panels will eventualy be covered by custom cabinet doors, so that they appear to be a built-in. The space to the far right will be a small counter top with storage above and below. You may not be able to see it, but the space goes back to the right an additional 13". The room this is located in will eventually be my new media room/small home theater

you can see that "dead space" a little better in this one. I'm going to get a custom granite counter top cut that extends back there. Should be enough space to tuck a coffee pot sized device out of the way. I'll do some kind of shelves above to maximize the limited space

Door on the left goes to the staircase landing, the door on the right hides the server rack. The panels are a mess at this point, as I had to quickly move everything over to keep the project moving. The bottom boxes are reserved for intercom, WHA drops, and an OMNI Pro.

Checking the final clearance of the slide out rack. If I had taken the picture from a higher vantage point, you would see it clears the top of the door frame by a meager 1/4"

Testing the slide function of the Royal Rack. It also turns 90 degrees fro access to the back of the equipment. This was the original plan, but as you will see in later pictures, I ended up adding a smaller door to the rear of the closet. I will only use the sliding base for major overhauls of the system now. I needed to use the sliding base instead of the casters option anyway to get the rack to a height lower than a door original to the house. You can see behind the rack that I installed filter grates to clean the air going into the closet. There is 1 one each side of the wall, each with a high-quality filter to slow down dust accumulation (recall the giant fan mentioned above lol)

The knockouts on the left of the wiring panels feed straight through the wall into the closet. Super easy to route wiring:). That's 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for the rack, and 2 15 amp circuits not shown. That metal bar is just some leftover shelf bracket that made for a good wire management solution.

This picture is from the staircase landing. I added an original, small closet door to the back of the closet for easier access to the back of the equipment. I installed a 1.5" PVC conduit through the wall from the top right media panel for the router. The router is dead center vertically and horizontally in the house

This is basically where i'm at right now, although I installed the stop strips and weather stripping around this door before posting this picture.

This is an older picture, but I'm proud that I managed to fit a KVM into an 18" deep rack:p

Here's a higher res of the rear rack