Show me your RACK - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 366Likes

post #2671 of 2687 Old 08-16-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 296
No idea on how warm that transformer will run, but if you have rack space, then that inch brings you right back as
how to thread 350 pounds into the rack, safely.

usb port digital movie poster light box project

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-the...ay-got-me.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2687 Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
No idea on how warm that transformer will run, but if you have rack space, then that inch brings you right back as
how to thread 350 pounds into the rack, safely.
It does? Tho as I think I understand it, putting this power isolation transformer at the very bottom of the rack means that it can rest on the very bottom and have its mounting holes lined up, without it having to be suspended to do so.
post #2673 of 2687 Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Guys what do you recommend as the offsets for horizontal lacing bars? For instance I plan to use these bars as a way to keep the power cords organized at the isolation transformer, and to keep the wires going into the amp and prepro organized. The rack is 32" deep, 29" "usable". The prepro is 14" deep. The amps are 18" deep. The power isolation transformer is 22" deep. I'm confused about the "offsets" that the lacing bars are offered in.

For instance, the amps are 18" deep. The back of the rack is 32" deep. So that's a difference of 14". I figure I want the lacing bar about 4" (??) behind the back of the amps. They have a 10" offset bar (https://www.middleatlantic.com/produ...b-10r90-a.aspx), which I think it means it would be 10" inward from the back of the rack? So that would be at 22" from the front, meaning 4 inches behind the amp. Is that a good fit? They also have 2, 4, and 6" offsets (no 8"). For the prepro that is only 14" deep so with the 10" offset bar that would be 8" from the back which I guess is still fine - that will mostly just be holding a power cord and some HDMI cords from drooping.

Also what are nice looking 10-32 black screws with a nice finish without overpaying?
I think I can start to answer this question myself... Seems like the idea is to keep the lacing bars a good distance off the equipment because otherwise it can make it awkward to reach the connectors. Likewise it seems the idea is to run all the wires down one side, then a swooping 90 to run across the lacing bar left/right, then another swooping 90 to square up with the equipment. This seems obvious now. For whatever reason I was picturing running the trunk line down the middle of the rear which would just create a big obstacle.

So I think I'm going to try the 4" offset lacing bars and see how that works out. I'll put the rear rack rails about 2-3" from the rear and see how that works out. Part of the challenge is that I wanted to have it all figured out in advance and order all the accessories, shelves, etc up front. The reality is that this being my first rack I'm going to get the basics for what I know I need, start putting things together, and then learn from there what's working and what's not, what else I need, and order stuff to "fill in" those needs as I go.
post #2674 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I think I can start to answer this question myself... Seems like the idea is to keep the lacing bars a good distance off the equipment because otherwise it can make it awkward to reach the connectors. Likewise it seems the idea is to run all the wires down one side, then a swooping 90 to run across the lacing bar left/right, then another swooping 90 to square up with the equipment.
Most equipment is not full rack depth deep so your offset concern is not as great as you think.

This is not a great image and not a show standard tidy rack but shows how close most equipment is to the non offset bars.

Last edited by SMHarman; 08-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #2675 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Generally speaking I think most of my equipment will be around 17-18" deep, with a few pieces being 12-14" deep. With 17-18" deep it means the equipment will be about a foot from the rear rack rails, and about 1.5 feet from the 12-14" deep equipment. Seems like some offset, like maybe 4", would be good since it gives me some work area behind the equipment without having 12-18" wire run squared from the rack back to the equipment, which would droop over such a range. Anyway for starters I ordered the BGR rack and the casters and screws, nothing else. I'll start by racking the initial equipment and plan to figure it out as I go and as I get advice here. Thanks guys!
post #2676 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone have a favorite Velcro or other such removable ties for small, medium and large wire bundles they can recommend from Amazon? Thanks!
post #2677 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Anyone have a favorite Velcro or other such removable ties for small, medium and large wire bundles they can recommend from Amazon? Thanks!
The Velcro-branded "ONE-WRAP" are what you want... The knock-off ones are not as good - but may be "good enough" for our usage.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #2678 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
The Velcro-branded "ONE-WRAP" are what you want... The knock-off ones are not as good - but may be "good enough" for our usage.
VELCRO Brand - ONE-WRAP Cable Management, Thin Self-Gripping Cable Ties: Reusable, Light Duty - 8" x 1/2" Ties, 100 Pack - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6..._plnTxbA16H8GN
post #2679 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It does? Tho as I think I understand it, putting this power isolation transformer at the very bottom of the rack means that it can rest on the very bottom and have its mounting holes lined up, without it having to be suspended to do so.
Is the bottom of the rack flat? And if the transformer has rack mounting ears, shouldn't they be up to the task of properly supporting the transformer?

What does the manual have to say about mounting options?

Isn't the mounting of a heavy item at the bottom of a rack all about rack stability?

And if you are worried about the weight and handling capacity, then why not simply add some 2x4" to the bottom of the rack, to carry some of the load?

post #2680 of 2687 Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Here are a couple:

Although my favorite, we are talking about audio racks and this better qualifies. Equipment on a rack or vice versa.
post #2681 of 2687 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
VELCRO Brand - ONE-WRAP Cable Management, Thin Self-Gripping Cable Ties: Reusable, Light Duty - 8" x 1/2" Ties, 100 Pack - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6..._plnTxbA16H8GN
Thanks. What are the difference sizes like 1/4" and 7/8" useful, as compared to the 1/2"?
post #2682 of 2687 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Is the bottom of the rack flat? And if the transformer has rack mounting ears, shouldn't they be up to the task of properly supporting the transformer?
I think the bottom of the rack is flat. Please see this short video walk thru of the rack - this is the one I am getting (only its taller at 45RU):
. The isolation transformer is 7RU. The front of the unit has large rack ears that span several RU with multiple holes. However I don't see any output for rear rack rails. Perhaps that is not necessary if this sits on the bottom. I can't tell - does it look like the bottom of the rack would support the unit? Is it possible that very thick and heavy front rack ears would be sufficient to support something that's 325 pounds?
[/quote]

Quote:
What does the manual have to say about mounting options?
Not much. Just says to remove the 8 front screws to get the front face plate off to access the rack ear screws. That part looks easy enough. Each ear has two holes near the top about an inch apart and two holes near the bottom about an inch apart. So can the rack really hold this in place just with that? Humm. Well the rack is rated for 12,000 pounds and this is going on the very bottom. Casters are rated for 1,100 pounds so should be good there too.[/quote]

Quote:
Isn't the mounting of a heavy item at the bottom of a rack all about rack stability?
Yes. It will be going on the bottom. The transformer comes with wheels on each corner which make it easy to roll around on the floor. These are removable. However I kind of would like to keep those wheels on it and lose a few inches in the rack due to it. This way if it should ever need to come out for servicing it can be moved. The casters for the rack increase the rack height by 1". So I would lose 2" or 2RU lets' call it to have this racked with its wheels still on it (but a little off the ground). Does this sound worth it or a waste of 2RU?

Quote:
And if you are worried about the weight and handling capacity, then why not simply add some 2x4" to the bottom of the rack, to carry some of the load?
I'm not concerned about the weight and handling capacity. Someone earlier raised the question as a possible concern before knowing the specs. With 12,000 pound capacity and 1,100 pound capacity on the rack casters, and with my equipment totally no more than about 600-700 pounds I think I will be good in that department. This is one of the reasons I went with the BGR rack - just to have that "headroom" on the weight capacity knowing the transformer was going to use up 325 pounds of whatever capacity I had.
post #2683 of 2687 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can anyone recommend a good label maker, for labeling the wires in the rack? I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive that will get the job done effectively. This one https://amzn.com/B009NVTE5E seems to have good ratings. Something like that, or...?
post #2684 of 2687 Old Today, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good label maker, for labeling the wires in the rack? I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive that will get the job done effectively. This one https://amzn.com/B009NVTE5E seems to have good ratings. Something like that, or...?
I used an Avery label sheet run through my printer.
post #2685 of 2687 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I have used this one and it works very well.
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-tou...ords=p+labeler
post #2686 of 2687 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
The Rhino (industrial Dymo) models have specific support for making cable labels. If you get a general-purpose label maker, you may not get those 'modes'. Regardless, use the flexible nylon labels (or heat shrink!) for cables so they stay put...

https://www.amazon.com/RhinoPRO-Indu...ds=rhino+label

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #2687 of 2687 Old Today, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I see the disconnect....

I'd give up the 2U of rack space, if you have it to spare.

I could see building a sturdy wood box to fit in the base, with a thick top and then routing some slots
for the casters to roll into. Then secure the face plate, and let the casters carry the load.

I'd be leery of eight screws at the front, and none at the rear, carrying 325 pounds. Does the Isolation
Transformer manual say anything about optional rack rails, or brackets to support the rear of the
transformer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page