Show me your RACK - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #2761 of 2784 Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's a good looking setup. I'm huge on strip LED. I have many many feet through out my house and neighbors too. But never actually thought of it there. Looks good. Mine being a floor standing unit I have the ability to pull it into the room. But also built full access to the rear. I like the finished bottom with yours and behind the doors is a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2784 Old 03-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA-SF View Post
Hey Guys,

Here is a couple pics of my racks. I pulled the door off for a bit better view, I actually go back and forth between the door on and off.

Just a bit of info.

The Small Rack on the wall contains all networking and security equipment, I hate how it interferes with AV so I keep them separate.

The Rack has dual Duct Cool Fan systems, 1 pulling air in the bottom and 1 sucking it out the top.

Full Access to cabling both below and above with Trap doors in the room to access both
routes.

The Big one is a Mid Atlantic BGR and the little on wall guy is a Mid Atlantic DWR.

The Racks are feeding a 7.4.4. Amos Theater and 12 Zones of Distributed Audio.
Nevermind. I found it...

I need to read a little more closely.
post #2763 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys, for the life of me I cant seem to be able to find lacing bars with enough offset. I'm looking for 12" of offset. Why so much you ask? I am using an old server rack that I got on trade. Its super deep, likely deep enough it could be used on both sides. Fortunately I dont have that much equipment yet...

Thanks for the help!

Second question. I currently am using an old laptop to stream tv shows(Last Man Standing, Big Bang Theory, HGTV, etc..) and to access and stream movies from the small server we have. Currently the laptop does not have the horsepower to stream bluray quality. Is there a rack mount pc that can easily handle these tasks? Really all I need is rack mount, enough hp to stream bluray quality movies, and internet accessibility? A windows 10 rack mount pc?

Last edited by mercracing; 03-08-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

post #2764 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Could you use a normal one. But just use/make/have made custom brackets to sink it in the distance you need. If you are gona keep this rack. It may be a good idea to have a bunch made up for future needs. Just my thought. Or. How about finding a used shelf around the 12" depth your looking for. Or even new is cheap enough. Just a basic no frills shelf. And either drill it out for what you need. Or apply some of the vertical ones to the shelf? If you get what I'm trying to say?
post #2765 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by towercontrol View Post
Could you use a normal one. But just use/make/have made custom brackets to sink it in the distance you need. If you are gona keep this rack. It may be a good idea to have a bunch made up for future needs. Just my thought. Or. How about finding a used shelf around the 12" depth your looking for. Or even new is cheap enough. Just a basic no frills shelf. And either drill it out for what you need. Or apply some of the vertical ones to the shelf? If you get what I'm trying to say?
I THINK I understand what your saying. However, I am looking for horizontal lacing bars. Like these, but with more offset.
https://www.amazon.com/Middle-Atlant.../dp/B0002EHNWM
post #2766 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Ya totally. Take the normal bracket as you pictured and add it or a similar one to the end of a 12" or similar shelf inside the rack. So it can use the shelf for the strength and length and get it where you need it.
mercracing likes this.
post #2767 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Is there a sliding seat of rear rails on the sides of that server? Or the option to add a second set of rear rails?

How hard would it be, to make some lacing bars, with the needed offset?

It would basically be four bends. Plus the use of a vice, to flatten the ends. Then drill
a couple of holes and give coat of paint.
post #2768 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Hey guys, for the life of me I cant seem to be able to find lacing bars with enough offset. I'm looking for 12" of offset. Why so much you ask? I am using an old server rack that I got on trade. Its super deep, likely deep enough it could be used on both sides. Fortunately I dont have that much equipment yet...

Thanks for the help!

Second question. I currently am using an old laptop to stream tv shows(Last Man Standing, Big Bang Theory, HGTV, etc..) and to access and stream movies from the small server we have. Currently the laptop does not have the horsepower to stream bluray quality. Is there a rack mount pc that can easily handle these tasks? Really all I need is rack mount, enough hp to stream bluray quality movies, and internet accessibility? A windows 10 rack mount pc?
Raspberry pi iii
post #2769 of 2784 Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDriver17 View Post
Has anyone here screwed Rack Rails directly into properly spaced studs and mounted equipment that way? Would save me a ton of money.

Many go the DIY route using rack rails vs buying a rack - DIY A/V rack?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #2770 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
If I secure the top of a basic network rack can I avoid bolting it to the floor? I want to get a simple rack like this one..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's going to go in my office closet for just a handful of things, network gear and the receiver for the living room. I'm wondering if I secure the top part of it to the wall so it cannot tip over is there any reason why the bottom can't stay unbolted?

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #2771 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
If I secure the top of a basic network rack can I avoid bolting it to the floor? I want to get a simple rack like this one..

It's going to go in my office closet for just a handful of things, network gear and the receiver for the living room. I'm wondering if I secure the top part of it to the wall so it cannot tip over is there any reason why the bottom can't stay unbolted?
I have a rack like that one.... I screwed to the floor and secured at the top, the top securing really locked it in for me
The concern I would have with not securing to the floor is that the weight of the gear is not balanced and it might cause the bottom to kick out some depending on how much weight you put on it. That said the base is very heavy (well on mine anyway)
Why do you want to avoid bolting to the floor? hardwood flooring?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2772 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=Waterboy77;52009777][quote=drunkpenguin;52009561]If I secure the top of a basic network rack can I avoid bolting it to the floor? I want to get a simple rack like this one..

I would have to agree. although there would be ways tonavoud the swing. it may as well be bolted behind a wall to make it appear as if it's off the floor. But depending on what you are doing with it. and weight inside it. I wouldn't trust it personally. but I have about 300lbs or more in mine.
post #2773 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just trying to save some work. It's a concrete floor that will have tile on it or laminate floor, not sure yet. It won't have much weight at all, 50 lbs maybe. This is not my HT gear, just the livingroom which is one receiver, no amps and little things like Amazon fire, etc. Plus a router, a switch, and 1 rack mount computer.

post #2774 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Just trying to save some work. It's a concrete floor that will have tile on it or laminate floor, not sure yet. It won't have much weight at all, 50 lbs maybe. This is not my HT gear, just the livingroom which is one receiver, no amps and little things like Amazon fire, etc. Plus a router, a switch, and 1 rack mount computer.
if it's only a few things. would a half rack or a smaller quarter rack work? then you can sink it into a wall or closet easy. and retain storage space. just my opinion.
post #2775 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I considered that, but storage is not an issue, we are not pack rats. Plus with tech evolving all the time I'm sure other things will get added over the years. One of our kids left home and we're turning that room into an office. The closet is not needed and small anyways so I want to convert it into a media closet for the house and consolidate everything to a central point. Right now I've got bits and pieces of network and AV hardware in nearly every closet in the house lol.

I like the idea of bolting the the bottom to the wall. I might be able to fabricate something and make that work.

post #2776 of 2784 Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@towercontrol

I think you are right, why do I need a 7 ft tall rack? I don't! I found a 36" rack on ebay for 50 bucks so I grabbed it. I'll put some heavy duty shelving above it and mount the top to the bottom shelf for stability. Thanks for your help!

post #2777 of 2784 Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 AM

I suppose you can't beat price. I didnt mean to change your ideas with my question. I was just thinking ease if use. plus if really needed ypu can always add another on top of it too if future expansion is needed.
post #2778 of 2784 Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
@towercontrol

I think you are right, why do I need a 7 ft tall rack? I don't! I found a 36" rack on ebay for 50 bucks so I grabbed it. I'll put some heavy duty shelving above it and mount the top to the bottom shelf for stability. Thanks for your help!
Tis the American way!

Seriously though, I was going to buy a smaller one, but found a great deal on a full size on Craigslist.
post #2779 of 2784 Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only reason I really wanted the tall one was it was the cheapest I could find. Smaller racks were twice the price for some odd reason. But then I found a deal on ebay.

post #2780 of 2784 Old 04-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I work in IT and I still get sticker shock when I look at the price of racks. It's metal with some holes in it. I built my own out of wood with shelf standards. Will post pics once I get it setup. It's done, I just have it covered in 3 layers of plastic while the basement/theater is finished in the next couple of weeks.
post #2781 of 2784 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone make a rack shelf with a door on it? I want to hide all the little things like rokus and firetvs. I see rack drawers but they don't have any type of ventilation.

post #2782 of 2784 Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 376
post #2783 of 2784 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, they are really proud of those doors! I dont need one that bad.
post #2784 of 2784 Old Today, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Noob contributing:

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
My Fun Room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction