Pilgrims Pit - Design & Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yup. 4U. Fit perfectly, although it was much easier to slide it in from the rear of the rack than the front. Thanks Bud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dave what are you powering with the XLS amps subs?

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

Dave what are you powering with the XLS amps subs?

Haha - it isn't anything special - I have 5 ascend HTM-200's (their entry level bookshelf). The plan is to upgrade the fronts in year two, and run 7.1. I picked up the amps for to nothing during the rebate they ran last may, so they are overkill for now.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I see I'm pretty stoked my rack should be here soon, maybe this week ordered last Wednesday. I'm finally adding on the specd Equipment room and rear columns. I like the way your equipment rack looks, is it a slim 5 with a door?

How do you like those amps? I have two PB13 Ultras on order but I might want to put subs in the rear columns as well. The plan is to have 4-5 PB13 Ultras when it all said an done. But I would like to put subs in at least the rear columns. They will probably be DIY do to the size I need.

The Cinema Kellogg

Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My rack is just rails (~$50) and a door(~$300, gasp). The door is not spec'd for just rails (unless its less than 20 spaces).

Can't really review the amps (the speakers were in the attic until last night) yet. They are heavy SOB's, and I really like the integrated rack rears - shelves are expensive. I'll know more in the coming days as I finally start to set things up.

I made the purchase based on the comments in this monster thread (skip to the later pages, its huge):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666

Getting the rack in is very satisfying. I have been watching your thread, good stuff there.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

You know it's been really fun doing the theaters, this one is amazing compared to my previous two. I've learned so much along the way thanks to people like yourself. It seems like this project will never be complete, haha. I'm adding a baffle wall after the equipment room is completed I'll keep posting.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and tricks.

The Cinema Kellogg

Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Carpet goes into the playroom tomorrow, and I am back in the HT building business.

First order of business - patching up the many holes my electrician cut in my DD+GG. Not entirely his fault since my lighting plans changed last minute, but he wasn't my most diligent of contractors from a sound isolation perspective.

What are you guys using for stuff like this?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dave

Is it going to be seen? if not fill with caulk

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It will be unseen. (its in the soffit). Wasn't sure if there was something else I should be considering from an isolation perspective (e.f.g. more mass, etc).
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think a big slug of caulk in there will have plenty of mass. You could also fill them and then place another piece of dry wall over the holes for good measure since it wont be seen

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Liked: 10
the holes look small hit it with a little durabond ( a quickdrying joint compound that dries like a rock) sand and paint you'll never know it was there
Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Very interesting following your progress. I'm having issues just converting an unused bedroom into a makeshift theater. I can't imagine building one from nothing and having contractors in and out. Looking good!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2494 View Post

the holes look small hit it with a little durabond ( a quickdrying joint compound that dries like a rock) sand and paint you'll never know it was there

Probably wind up some combination of caulk and compound. Just needed to sanity check to make sure there wasn't some particular technique people use when isolation is a priority. Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Very interesting following your progress. I'm having issues just converting an unused bedroom into a makeshift theater. I can't imagine building one from nothing and having contractors in and out. Looking good!

Thanks for reading along. I am guessing it was more interesting when I had contractors doing the work. Or at least faster. Should pick up a little now that the playroom is 97% done. I didn't post too many pics of that, but will put a few up tonight since the carpet was installed today (called in sick yesterday).

I think you have a thread on newbies and NEC's that I'll be reading through soon. I have been reticient to get my hand dirty on that process since I only hear how challenging it is. But there will be guests coming at the end of the month, and they will want to see something projected.

The build process hurts the checking account more than the sanity, but nothing is unscathed, right?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Probably wind up some combination of caulk and compound. Just needed to sanity check to make sure there wasn't some particular technique people use when isolation is a priority. Thanks for chiming in.

Thanks for reading along. I am guessing it was more interesting when I had contractors doing the work. Or at least faster. Should pick up a little now that the playroom is 97% done. I didn't post too many pics of that, but will put a few up tonight since the carpet was installed today (called in sick yesterday).

I think you have a thread on newbies and NEC's that I'll be reading through soon. I have been reticient to get my hand dirty on that process since I only hear how challenging it is. But there will be guests coming at the end of the month, and they will want to see something projected.

The build process hurts the checking account more than the sanity, but nothing is unscathed, right?

The NEC setup is challenging but it's not as bad as everyone makes it sound. I get a little better every time I do it. I have my XG-110 mounted finally but the room has no treatments or covering to speak of yet. I will be selling my 9PG+ and 6PG to help pay for some of that. Seems like I'm always selling or trading something to get something else. This drives my girlfriend crazy.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay carpet in the playroom went in today. The rooms outside the HT are say 96% done.

Here are the guys rolling the carpet out on our street.

Making a snip:

The carpet color (kind of close):

Continued in next post . . .
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Before and after time. . . .

Before (the text is from the early posts):

After:

Turning clockwise, before :

After - we put a desk in a closet for the space under the stairs, shelves adjacent are for toys (tools mostly right now)

Close up of the desk (EDIT- bifolds will be in front once they are cut down)

Turning clockwise again before:

After (behind the wall is the bath, the hall leads to the HT, door to the utility room, then EQ rack on the left along the way)

Some of the bath (need to add towel racks and that kind of thing):

More

Ejector pump and hint of the shower stall (didn't get a good pic of that, its a generic fiberglass shower)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Looking good Dave! Feels good to be almost done, huh?

Bud
Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Looking good Dave! Feels good to be almost done, huh?

Bud

It feels great to have the playroom almost done. I am feeling a bit more pressure to get the HT into at least a demo state, as family and friends will converge at the end of the month for my daughter's birthday.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It feels great to have the playroom almost done. I am feeling a bit more pressure to get the HT into at least a demo state, as family and friends will converge at the end of the month for my daughter's birthday.

Although I'm no expert at the NEC's I can probably give you some quick tips and send you any manuals or guides you might need in PDF form. When you start setting up the projector I will be glad to help in any way I can.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Very nice, Dave. The play area tooks great! The mini-doors blend is well. I may very well steal your idea for my below the stairs space.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Although I'm no expert at the NEC's I can probably give you some quick tips and send you any manuals or guides you might need in PDF form. When you start setting up the projector I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks for the offer. Hope to be tinkering with it next week. I have my wires run, just need to plug things in. I have the manuals and a few things printed off Curt's site. I'll pop into your thread in the CRT forum when I start meddling with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Very nice, Dave. The play area tooks great! The mini-doors blend is well. I may very well steal your idea for my below the stairs space.

By all means. The beadboard was the carpenter's idea, actually. There are supposed to be bifolds infront of the closetted desk, but they need to be cut down after the carpet and pad went in. The toy shelf storage by the desk will stay open to the room.

The best part was watching my almost 2 year old running and jumping around in the wide open space. Its her playroom (until she gets a sibling), so I am glad to see her enjoy it. The dricore and the higher grade pad makes the floor pretty soft, so it should be good for the rough and tumble years.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Excellent work, Dave. Your new space looks wonderful.

Congratulations.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, Dazian is out of the blue I want, and don't expect anything in the near term. If anyone is familiar with the GOM line to recomend a comparable blue, I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

This was the old color scheme:
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Excellent work, Dave. Your new space looks wonderful.

Congratulations.

CJ

Thanks CJ. We are real pleased with it. Best part is getting back in the theater. Got quite a few odds and ends done over the weekend.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Bring the swatch to the fabric store near the Hanover mall and eyeball a comparison?

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnfoley View Post

Bring the swatch to the fabric store near the Hanover mall and eyeball a comparison?

Might be the way to go. Just adds a layer of guesswork on whether it is an AT fabric (not as essential for the panels) and possibly require adding a fireproofing chemical. I have samples from anothe dazian line (Janus), might switch to that (or GOM).
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I looked at my old samples and there is a comparable fabric in the janus line. It is a bit lighter and brighter, but will work fine. The fabric doesn't have the texture the expo cloth has, which I kind of like, but I am going to go with it. Will cost me about $60 more, but not too bad.

Here are some pics from the last few days. In this time we finished the stage (not really pic worthy, nailed ply down, GG, another layer of ply, then prime and paint flat black). I also stuffed all the columns with insulation to eliminate the columns resonating like a drum. Not exactly prime photo journalism.

But my wife has been painting. She painted the crown (Benjamin Moore - 2 coats stuart gold, one coat metalic gold glaze), and she painted a few sections of the wall/columns. The walls and columns will be fabric covered, but we wanted to put some cheap paint behind it so that if the fabric was thin in spots or frames didn't line up perfect, things would be masked. So here is how it is looking right now:

The front soffit
Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 AM

Liked: 15
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

Looking great - what a transformation!

Thanks man. Slowly getting there.

Speaking of which - an update. Fabric arrived. Ahead of schedule, as the gal I spoke with said it would be a couple of weeks to get the janus blue in to get it frome one dye lot.

I switched from my planned expo order to janus since they were out of blue in expo and didn't anticipate getting any more. As you can see the blue is a lighter shade than my old expo sample, and it doesn't have the texture that the expo has, but it will do:

I got the black in janus also:

Also arriving today was my banana plugs. I had bought some a while back but they and my hdmi cables disapeared in the flotsam and jetsom of my house. Oh well something to sell when they reappear. I went with these locking ones from speakerrepair.com (link) The locking feature is kind of unnecessary, as the plugs rested pretty securely, but what the hell. Was recomended in a few threads around here. Kind of satisfying to install them.

In the last few days I have been trying to make it through CRT setup guides. I did manage to cobble together some ghetto speaker stands. They will be behind a fabric wall so aesthetics are immaterial. One part scrap mdf, some pvc pipes, sand and glue. It will do. I may spray paint them over the weekend.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the last few days I have been trying to make it through CRT setup guides.

There are a few of us nearby with more or less substantial NEC setup experience... I can't speak for others time, but I can offer some tips and tricks if you like.

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.