Pilgrims Pit - Design & Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Started work on making fabric frames. Been ripping plywood down, planning the ply + MDF combo. This weekend hope to mock up my first frame.

Followed up a lead for local OC 703 here:

KAMCO SUPPLY CORP OF BOSTON
304 Bodwell Street
Avon, Massachusetts 02322
Phone: 508-587-1500
Fax: 508-588-6140
http://www.kamcoboston.com/

They don't stock OC 703 but can order it, and they get a truck a week from Owens Corning, so about that long to get it in. I was hoping to pick some up so I could mock a frame complete with the OC 703.

BPape did a design for me and spec'd a mix of 1" and 2" OC 703 both faced and unfaced.
They quoted me these prices:

2" unfaced - - $80 for 96 sq [I am not sure he got it right, I think he quoted me the 1" here]
2" faced - - $60 for 48 sqft
1" unfaced - - $80 per carton [should be 96 SQ]
1" faced - - No estimate

They were somewhat helpful. Shipping really ads up on this stuff, so it is probably cheaper to get it locally, though I'd rather give Bryan the business (http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/index.php?cPath=38). I need to clean up my estimate of how much I need. I'll probably by it unfaced and add the facing separately. Bryan sells a scrim, and I need some accoustic cotten too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

On a business trip went out and got the $100 HD-DVD player at wal-mart (already have the PS3). It fit in the suitcase, but I have to check it now. Now I need to get a HDMI splitter.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hey Dave,

I was wondering where you've been, thought you might have gotten trapped under all that sawdust. I went this morning to Brockton Wal-mart on the way to work and picked up 2.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Now I need to get a HDMI splitter.

I have an HDMI switcher from Monoprice.com, works great!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You probably mean HDMI switcher right, monoprice has those too.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah meant switcher. Was looking at the monoprice ones. Would have put the order in, but could remember if I need more cables.

I got about 1/3 of my cuts done before other obligations took over.

Sister in laws wedding is next weekend. After that only work and holidays get in my way.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well I have all my sources lined up now.

I went to the sony outlet and was able to get a sony HDD-250 DVR. It is a quirky unit in that it was quickly discountinued, and may have a problem getting guide data (essential to its operation) after the analog shutoff in 2009, but then it will still work as an ATSC/QAM tuner (w/cablecard). I hadd the HDD-500 upstairs in my den and was reticent to move it. I thought I would end up with the cable company's DVR, but I prefer to not be tied to a subscription or monthly fee.

So my sources will be PS3 for blu-ray; A2 for HD-DVD; HDD-250 for HDTV/DVR. I am short one HDMI cable, so will order a couple when I get the switch from monoprice.

The DVR was $299, and I got the 2 year warranty for $25 due to the 2009 issue. They had a handful of refurbs at the outlet, so they may be at other outlets around the country. They go around that price on e-bay, but you never know what you are getting there.

Once my switch arrives I'll be done to only one piece of electronics left, the remote. Leaning towards RF, but have conduit run if I decide to go IR. At this pace I am not going to buy it until the room is done, so its looking like a 2008 purchase. We have a harmony upstairs which is only "ok", so I have been glancing at the URC line of remotes.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay, a bit of progress. I finished cutting my mdf into 2" strips. So the ply is cut, the mdf is cut, next step is beveling the mdf, then its mitering and frame assembly. This could take a while.

Here is the 200 or so pieces of trimmed mdf. They will all need to be re-fed through and a bevel added.

Dust went everywhere. I tried to vacuum after each session, but it was time consuming, so towards the end I was just plowing through. The dust mask was an MVP. I added the binder clip to prevent it from fogging my glasses. worked well.

Here is the mini dust mountain under the saw.

The next step is bevelling. I made a few test cuts a few weeks ago. These cuts are far from perfect, but this is the ist of where we are going.

A cross-section.

My wife's sister is getting married this weekend, so I might get one more night to work this week. After that, a bit more free in the evenings. I think the bevelling will take 2-4 sessions. My trial cuts told me I will need to work on my push stick technique.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey there, aren't you done yet??? You are getting as bad as Me. LOL

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Dave:

Thanks for the lead on Kamco in Avon.

These guys seem to have everything I am looking for.

I had them deliver all my steel studs, insulation, and found out after the fact that they have putty pads also. They also carry RISC clips, fyi.

No surprise they have the 703! Probably other goodies as well!

db
Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Hey there, aren't you done yet??? You are getting as bad as Me. LOL

I know, its terrible. The next target to miss in New Years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron View Post

Dave:

Thanks for the lead on Kamco in Avon.

These guys seem to have everything I am looking for.

I had them deliver all my steel studs, insulation, and found out after the fact that they have putty pads also. They also carry RISC clips, fyi.

No surprise they have the 703! Probably other goodies as well!

db

Didn't know they had RSIC clips. What are the delivery charges like? I am thinking the 703 I need might be a bit much for my wife's subaru.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Back in business. Sort of. Tonight set things up to bevel the mdf. I cut enough to make a mock up frame, but the miter saw is in the garage under the baby's room, so couldn't take it further.

Adding the bevel adds quite a bit of resistance in terms of pushing the mdf through the tble saw. So much so, that I guess it was smoky (none that I saw), and set off the fire alarm. The fire alarms are networked in my house, so all the fire alarms went off. My daughter slept through it, which was a big break. I yanked the detector off the ceiling, which ment it still went off a couple more times on battery power, but the rest of the alarms in the house didn't go off.

The mdf showed a few schorch marks. But really not too much. Here is a couple pics of the one who showed the most. Really not too much. Should I get a better blade to cut the mdf better?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Hi Dave,

I personally don't think you need to worry about your cuts being perfect if you are just going to cover them with GOM or similar. I am in the process of covering my second room with GOM fabric and I have furred both rooms using just OSB. As you can imagine OSB chips and cuts quite rough but once covered with GOM it looks perfect. The GOM covers the imperfections and is very forgiving, as an added bonus OSB takes staples very well and is cheap.

You can try to wrap your fabric around a piece you have cut with imperfections to give yourself an idea of how much it covers up.

Rob

But then again......what do I know?

The Mirage Home Theater - Construction
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I got scorch marks at the end of my MDF bevel cuts also. Some strange force causes it to want to twist at the very end of the pass. I agree with McArthur, the GOM covers up any flaws with the bevel cuts.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_McArthur View Post

Hi Dave,

I personally don't think you need to worry about your cuts being perfect if you are just going to cover them with GOM or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

I got scorch marks at the end of my MDF bevel cuts also. Some strange force causes it to want to twist at the very end of the pass. I agree with McArthur, the GOM covers up any flaws with the bevel cuts.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am quite concerned about the even-ness of the cut. I am not super concerned about the scorch marks showing through the fabric. But to be honest with you, the bit that concerned me the most was that the force required to push the mdf through the saw makes me worry that I am stressing the blade too much. I am not sure why having the blade on an angle makes the cut more difficult, thinking about more I guess the surface area cut is about double the straight cut, but its an effort to feed the mdf through. I'd say the effort is a 5 or a 6 out of 10, whereas the straight cuts were a 3 or so. I am a little paranoid because I am a leg amputee from a brushwacker that had a circular saw blade fracture.

I think I have convinced myself to swap out the factory stock blade. I'll start researching which blades cut MDF best. Any recomendations?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well looks like I should get one with at least 50 teeth, and carbide. I'll see what the stores have. I don't remember what the stock blade for the bosch was. Probably not that.

Quote:

Q: What should I use to cut and mill MDF?

A: MDF can be treated much like a fine grained hardwood. Its high glue content means that steel cutting tools will dull VERY quickly; thus the use of carbide tools is highly recommended. Always keep your tools sharp for efficiency and safety.

The following recommendations are from the The National Particleboard Association publication:

* For general shop or table saw use with decent cut and good blade life, a 50 tooth, 10 inch combination blade may be used.
* For those demanding a better cut, consider a 60 tooth, 10 inch blade with alternate top bevel (ATB) teeth at 15 degrees, 10 degree positive hook, 5 degree side clearance, 10 degree outside diameter clearance, and low approach angle (blade projecting no more than 0.5 inch through top of material).
* For an even smoother cut, consider an 80 tooth, 10 inch blade with 15 degree ATB, 10 degree alternate face bevel, 15 degree positive hook, and 7 degrees side clearance. This is costlier and may result in a shorter blade life.

Quote:

MDF
http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/MDF/#Q7

Medium Density Fiberboard is made by heating and compressing softwood scraps and glue. It is uniformly granular, machinable and has no grain. It's porous, dense and heavy, and won't hold screws well. It may contain formaldehyde. Tools cutting MDF tend to get hot due to abrasion, so choose a durable triple chip style 10 in. 60T.

http://www.dekalbsaw.com/sawchoices.html
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long rip cuts can be difficult and scary, especially with a bevel like that. A hold down or two mounted to the rip fence would add some protection and probably give you a smoother cut, as well. I would post some links but the system won't take them since this is my first post. Options range from Board Buddies (search Amazon for Board Buddies) to a feather board (search for Bench Dog 40-011, as an example). Feather boards are easy to make if you have some solid hardwood scraps laying around. The idea is that the feather board is mounted vertically, clamped to the rip fence, so it holds the MDF tight against the table as you push it through the blade. The uneven-ness in your test cuts probably resulted from the MDF lifting up slightly when you repositioned your hands during the cut. A feather board or equivalent hold down helps prevent that.

A new blade would be a good idea, too. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a blade to cut MDF, unless you're interested in finding someone to resharpen it for you. MDF is really tough on blades and by the time you're finished making all of those bevel cuts, the blade will likely need to either be resharpened or replaced. A 50-tooth thin kerf combination blade in the Diablo line of Freud blades would probably be adequate for your needs (search for Freud D1050X Diablo).

Woodworking is my main hobby. I'm happy to lend more advice if it would be helpful.

Love your construction thread, by the way. Your space is really looking great! I am green with envy over all the basement theater construction threads. In the Phoenix area, where I live, everything is slab-on-grade construction and almost no one has a basement.

-- Paul

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I've had good luck with Freud blades for my miter saw. I haven't yet fired up my new table saw yet and therefore haven't replaced the blade that came with it. I seem to recall that HD had them for around $65 or so.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

Long rip cuts can be difficult and scary, especially with a bevel like that. A hold down or two mounted to the rip fence would add some protection and probably give you a smoother cut, as well. I would post some links but the system won't take them since this is my first post.
[snip]

The uneven-ness in your test cuts probably resulted from the MDF lifting up slightly when you repositioned your hands during the cut. A feather board or equivalent hold down helps prevent that.

This is a good and helpful description. Thanks for making my thread the first you posted (& welcome). I am new to the table saw, had a related thread where a featherboard was mentioned, and I have one that applied pressure horizontally. It was in the way of my push stick when vertically oriented. I did clamp a longer piece of wood to the fence, but I might need to make it a tighter fit. The board buddies thing is intruiging too.

Quote:

A new blade would be a good idea, too. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a blade to cut MDF, unless you're interested in finding someone to resharpen it for you. MDF is really tough on blades and by the time you're finished making all of those bevel cuts, the blade will likely need to either be resharpened or replaced. A 50-tooth thin kerf combination blade in the Diablo line of Freud blades would probably be adequate for your needs (search for Freud D1050X Diablo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

I've had good luck with Freud blades for my miter saw. I haven't yet fired up my new table saw yet and therefore haven't replaced the blade that came with it. I seem to recall that HD had them for around $65 or so.

I just got back from HD at lunch. They didn't have the diablo 50 tooth version, so I got a 60 and an 80 for $40 and $50 respectively. I need a new blade for my 10" miter saw too. Probably could have stuck with the 60 for both, but I upsell myself pretty easily when it comes to tools, "What's another $10. . ." Oh well.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dave:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...lapsed&sb=5&o=

Mike has great sales at times, and even better advice. Sounds like you might have gotten your blades, but he has some great deals now(I got one for plywood), and ships quickly.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Dave:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...lapsed&sb=5&o=

Mike has great sales at times, and even better advice. Sounds like you might have gotten your blades, but he has some great deals now(I got one for plywood), and ships quickly.

Hmm, nice prices. Maybe worth a return and re-order. Tough call, I am anxious to get this chore done. Flipside is I have tonight free, then booked until Sunday. . .
Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also, as for safety devices, I just got two of these:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11506

I don't really care what it costs to keep my digits. So many people get maimed by saws and such. I know I have done some stupid things with power tools, but I am getting more careful as I age. You have your accident to make you seriously safety-aware. The board buddies posted before are also a good idea, with a hold down and an anti-kickback component to them.

I saw your OC703 pricing above--as a comparison I have some prices from my local supplier in Chicagoland, which is exceptionally cheap(as far as I could find)--this is for JM814, which is equivalent to OC703

2" unfaced-- $1 sq ft
2" faced-- $1.30 sq ft
1" faced -- $.90 sq ft

no 1" unfaced was available
Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The mdf showed a few schorch marks. But really not too much. Really not too much. Should I get a better blade to cut the mdf better?

Hey DC - just finished doing the exact same cutting for my panels (although I used lumber vs. MDF) about 30 minutes ago, and I have an idea as to why your scorch marks are there at the ends....check your throat plate on the table saw - I found that mine was not perfectly flush, so that when the very end of the wood would pass the throat plate, it would 'drop' a couple thousandths of an inch and bind against the blade a little. I ended up shimming mine just a hair to get it flush, and the problem went away. I did also notice the bevel cuts were harder to push through as well - perhaps just because there is more material to chew through (plus my impatience to "get 'er done" ).
Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You have your accident to make you seriously safety-aware.

I am not one to harp on it in person, but around these kinds of machine I am definitely a little paranoid.

Quote:

I saw your OC703 pricing above--as a comparison I have some prices from my local supplier in Chicagoland, which is exceptionally cheap(as far as I could find)--this is for JM814, which is equivalent to OC703

2" unfaced-- $1 sq ft
2" faced-- $1.30 sq ft
1" faced -- $.90 sq ft

no 1" unfaced was available

Good to know. You are just reminding me that I am delinquent to finish my estimate of what I need and place my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YW84U View Post

Hey DC - just finished doing the exact same cutting for my panels (although I used lumber vs. MDF) about 30 minutes ago,

Nobody likes a show-off. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YW84U View Post

and I have an idea as to why your scorch marks are there at the ends....check your throat plate on the table saw -

Thanks will do. I had to google image search to figure out that the throat plate was though. . . That is a logical reason, my assumption was it was my failure to apply consistent pressure while feeding the material.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Got a later start tonight. Swapped out the blades for the 80T Diablo. Found a big part of the problem, the old blade was dull. I guess 150 cuts of 1/4" ply and 200+ cuts of 3/4" mdf were enough for the factory issue blade.

The new blade cut well. The bevel cuts still more effort than the straight cuts, but I don't feel like I am forcing it at all. Got 20 of my 200 cuts done before I decided to cut the night off.

Live and learn. Didn't expect that the blade would dull in a relatively short period (albiet with a good number of cuts). But what I read this morning showed that mdf is a real blade eater.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Glad to hear you're back in the game! With a new blade, now you'll have enough kerf/sawdust at the end of this to sell to the neighbors for their gardens!

Looking forward to seeing the OC703 going up - I be staying tuned to your thread!

Cheers,
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was in the way of my push stick when vertically oriented

Yeah, this is always a problem with narrow stock. This won't help Dave any, since all of his stock is already ripped down to the width he needs. For anybody else looking at this problem, you might consider starting with stock that's twice the finished width. Rip bevels on both edges, and then set the blade back to square and rip it down the middle to get your finished pieces. The wider stock is easier and safer to handle when making those long bevel cuts.

Dave, cutting all of that MDF is proof that you're a seriously dedicated individual. MDF dust is awful! I don't envy you this next step!

-- Paul

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Dave, cutting all of that MDF is proof that you're a seriously dedicated individual. MDF dust is awful! I don't envy you this next step!

-- Paul

I think my wife prefers to say I am a committed individual, or is it I should be committed - - something like that. Halfway into the mdf cutting experience I completely agree. The shopvac can't keep up the dust is a terror.

Interesting tip BTW. I started to use my scrap mdf as a push stick and its working well. I'll take some pics on Sunday when I am able to get back to work (booked up the next few days).
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I hate that stuff it's a toss up Drywall or MDF but nasty and hard to get the dust out of the air. Good to see your making progress.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:

Live and learn. Didn't expect that the blade would dull in a relatively short period (albiet with a good number of cuts). But what I read this morning showed that mdf is a real blade eater.

As you note MDF is known to just eat blades alive.