Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 523 Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dave
Hows progress on the fabric frames going?

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 523 Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Almost no progress. I have all my mdf cut into strips, and then life and work stepped in the way. My in-laws are visiting for another day, so I am hoping to get back in there on Monday and part of Tuesday (until our next houseguest arrives for a couple days).

I did take the plastic off the PJ for some demo sessions. Transformers on HD-DVD looks great (or at least the opening battle sequence did). As do some of the Pixar shorts on B-R.

Happy Holidays, all.
post #393 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just got the official word that my company wants to promote me and relocate me to Pennsylvania. So we are going to have to sell the house and the theater.

Since the theater was only 80% done we are hustling to get it into a marketable condition. So no more fabric frames (we moved the mdf and wood to the garage over the weekend), some custom things will be scaled down.

Here is the plan to get to sale-able:

1. Paint the screenwall black (done)
2. Fill openings in rear soffit & paint black (half done, won't be a bass trap now)
3. Put finished coats of blue on the walls (half done)
4. Wrap columns in fabric
5. Frame tops of columns with vellum paper instead of frosted glass (tested, looks good)
6. Add baseboards and other moldings (cover staples, add bottom piece to crown)
7. Either - build fabric screen wall and use some of my SMX, or make a non-AT DIY screen (leaning towards the latter but will require some tweaking of the CRT PJ - which I stink at)
8. Carpet, add a love seat for staging
9. Watch as many movies as we can assuming we aren't busy with move-prep

Could use some input on #7 - I am kind of torn since the false wall is a big part of the clean look, but it might be a waste of the SmX since the next buyer might not want it, and the next theater might have a different screen size.

We really debated what to do on this move, but it is the right answer from a career perspective, and it fits in our lifestyle. We kind of mourned the loss of the basement because a lot of thought and effort went into it. Things will start picking up in this thread since I want to get my place sold (or sold to the company as part of the relo). It might take a while before build thread #2 starts.
post #394 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Man what a bummer, for me anyways. You're close and I was hoping to be there if you ever had meet. What a turn of events, especially with you being so close to the finish. Congrats on the promotion and best of luck with the move.

With number 7 you can get some of the Dazian Celtic cloth or you can get the AT screen material form SeymourAV if you want to hold on to your SMX. Good luck.
post #395 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Dave, congrats, though too bad on the loss of the hard work that went into this one. Of course, there's always 2.0, taking the lessons from this one.

I had a Parkland Plastic DIY in my first apartment setup, and it was great (and cheap/easy to build to boot!). Granted, it means you need to have visible speakers, but for most buyers, they won't even notice, and the few who do, you can tell them "well, here's a link to SMX screens for an inexpensive way to do what I originally intended for $XXX")

You could knock out a parkland screen in 3-4 hours easy, a little more if you go with flat black trim (which I eventually did).

If you don't have the false wall built yet, then DEFINITELY go with a DIY non-AT, for cost and speed reasons...
post #396 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Man what a bummer, for me anyways. You're close and I was hoping to be there if you ever had meet. What a turn of events, especially with you being so close to the finish. Congrats on the promotion and best of luck with the move.

Yeah a bit disapointed it won't be all I wanted to be. But life is full of changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokoloff View Post

Dave, congrats, though too bad on the loss of the hard work that went into this one. Of course, there's always 2.0, taking the lessons from this one.

You could knock out a parkland screen in 3-4 hours easy, a little more if you go with flat black trim (which I eventually did).

If you don't have the false wall built yet, then DEFINITELY go with a DIY non-AT, for cost and speed reasons...

Thanks, it took a few days to get over the shock. This will be the second time this company has moved us, so I guess we should be used to it. But it will be worth it. 2.0 might be a 2009 issue.

I am vaguely aware of Parkland (I have seen wilsonart mentioned also). Any thoughts on a source for that? I am leaning towards the non-AT screens. We have a lot of other projects to do.
post #397 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dave here are some sources for the Designer White from Wilsonart, I got this info a while back when I was contemplating screen material. You can order from HD and Lowes I believe but that can take longer than you want, they no longer have it in stock around here. Hopefully one of these sources has it close by for you.

Kitchen Tune-Up
2 Cherry Tree Drive
Norton , MA 02766
508-285-0000

Village Kitchen & Bath
86 West Main St.
Norton , MA 02766
508-285-2778

Mediterranian Kitchens
318 Manley St
W. Bridgewater , MA 02379
508-588-5498

Republic Supply
230 Bridge St.
N. Weymouth , MA 02191
post #398 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Congrats on the promotion. Sorry about the HT, it was coming out fantastic. But like others said, look forward to HT 2.0.

As for the screen, no way you should go AT. I seriously doubt you'd get the ROI as I doubt the buyer will be educated on HT screens. God knows I didn't know anything about it until I started visiting here.

Let me be the first citizen of the Commonwealth of PA to welcome you. If you get the hankering for HT work, maybe you could come over help with mine :-) I'm just finishing my soffit light tray and could use an experienced fabric guy.
post #399 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I am vaguely aware of Parkland (I have seen wilsonart mentioned also). Any thoughts on a source for that? I am leaning towards the non-AT screens. We have a lot of other projects to do.

Heh. I know how that can be.

I ordered my Parkland direct from them, as I needed a 5x10' sheet. I'm not sure if they still do that or not (working for an integrated e-commerce and manufacturing company, I can't see how fulfilling small orders like that could possibly be worth their time...)

If you need 4x8' or smaller, people on the DIY screen forums swear that you can find appropriate material at HomeDepot or Lowes. I never looked hard, as I needed the bigger size. Next time I'm there, I'll have a look if I remember. (It seems like since we bought our "new" house that I might as well get my paycheck direct deposited at HomeDepot... )

I had built a fairly ghetto blackout cloth screen originally, and wasn't satisfied with it, and don't think mine would have looked "right enough" for a home sale, but perhaps if more carefully done, it would be OK. I eventually put the blackout cloth inside of light-block curtains, so I can't offer it to you, but it's readily available at fabric stores.

The plastic is way easier though. If you hit a home store, look for something that's bright white but without any real gloss. Some texture (even like 80-100 grit sandpaper) is fine, but you don't want something with a lot of gloss, but rather a diffuse white. The Parkland was originally intended for laundry room type wall coverings. I'm virtually certain this is the product I used: http://www.waterproofpanels.com/polywall.shtml

I built a frame from 2x3 lumber, with luan plywood on top (obviously build this as flat/planar as you can!), and the plastic was contact cemented to the luan. A couple of French cleats on the back and some pine trim painted flat black on the front and I was done.
post #400 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM

DC,

Bummer man! Let me be the second to welcome you to the PA area. Do you know what part yet? Lots of us down here in the SE.

Nick
post #401 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm also a Mass to PA transplant. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the new locale.

You can get 5x10 sheet DW Wilsonart special order from HD. Mine took about 4 days to get to me. Cost was about $80 with a $15 special order fee (I guess probably shipping cost). I used a luan backer and glued to that. The screen is excellent.

**Disclaimer** The information provided above is my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
post #402 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Hey Dave,

I'd save the SMX, you never know what it'd cost to replace. Besides whoever buys your house will not appreciate it. As for a replacement I'd go with blackout cloth and an appropriate paint. KISS method and be done with it, so you can move on to HT 2.0. Now you'll get to avoid all the things you wish you'd done differently.

Good luck
Chip

A dumb man gets into trouble and doesn't know how to get out of it.
A smart man gets into trouble and knows how to get out of it.
A wise man never gets into trouble... Spastic Bat Theater Thread
post #403 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Dave here are some sources for the Designer White from Wilsonart,

Thanks a lot. Those clipping files are priceless, I keep one too. If you are still looking for blue fabric, I might have some for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Let me be the first citizen of the Commonwealth of PA to welcome you. If you get the hankering for HT work, maybe you could come over help with mine :-) I'm just finishing my soffit light tray and could use an experienced fabric guy.

Thanks, this will be my third Commonwealth in a row (Virginia to Massachusetts to Pennsylvania), I think Kentucky is the only other one. I don't expect to be bored, but I'll let you know. Mind you, my fabric experience won't come until a couple days from now, unless you count ordering it and storing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokoloff View Post

Next time I'm there, I'll have a look if I remember. (It seems like since we bought our "new" house that I might as well get my paycheck direct deposited at HomeDepot... )

Yeah that place is my $100 a trip habit, its awful. Thanks for the Parkland tips, plast seems a lot easier than B.O.C. - which I also considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq627 View Post

DC,

Bummer man! Let me be the second to welcome you to the PA area. Do you know what part yet? Lots of us down here in the SE.

Nick

Thanks - its in Carlisle area. I have seen that referred to as "South Central . . . PA" - I have been there on business trips pretty frequently over the last few years. Its pretty rural outside of Carlisle itself. Lots of trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross E View Post

You can get 5x10 sheet DW Wilsonart special order from HD. Mine took about 4 days to get to me. Cost was about $80 with a $15 special order fee (I guess probably shipping cost). I used a luan backer and glued to that. The screen is excellent.

Okay - I guess I'll price/performance compare it to the Parkland. I'll do some reading up in the DIY screen area. I hope I enjoy the new locale also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipWV View Post

I'd save the SMX, you never know what it'd cost to replace. Besides whoever buys your house will not appreciate it. As for a replacement I'd go with blackout cloth and an appropriate paint. KISS method and be done with it, so you can move on to HT 2.0. Now you'll get to avoid all the things you wish you'd done differently.

Thanks Chip. We are on the KISS path for sure. I have a list of ideas for version 2.0 - - mostly, ah, bigger or at least wider. Gotta finish 1.0 and sell the house first.
post #404 of 523 Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'll build you a BOC frame and screen for you SMX

I also have a nice painted screen (one of the complex mixes from the DIY section) that USED to be much bigger...but as the rooms got rearranged I have made it much smaller (it has a duvatine frame around it) it's 70" diag 16:9..if you have or can use a smaller screen, might be a nice replacement for the SMX as well....
post #405 of 523 Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Wow, life just turns you upside down and shakes you silly sometimes doesn't it. I'm glad it's a promo and not a "work here or find a new job" move. Congrats on that and good luck getting the place in selling condition. Been there and done that. Staging is the big thing these days. Lived in but not cluttered. I know you have to be looking forward to the next version of the HT though. I'm sure that will be pretty far down the priority list for a while. Oh, my back hurts just thinking about moving...
post #406 of 523 Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Hey Dave, I'm sure its for the best. Let us know what the theater impact is and how the sale goes. Me, I'd love to do another build, it's just so much damn fun!

Bud
post #407 of 523 Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 AM

Liked: 13
Dave,
Congrats on the promotion...but really sorry we won't see this theater reach all of it's glory. My choice would be to keep the SMX (and take it with you ) and go with a non-at screen in the theater you leave behind.
P.S.
Will you be changing your forum name to PA_pilgrim?

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #408 of 523 Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post

I'll build you a BOC frame and screen for you SMX

Opportunitist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, life just turns you upside down and shakes you silly sometimes doesn't it. I'm glad it's a promo and not a "work here or find a new job" move. Congrats on that and good luck getting the place in selling condition. Been there and done that. Staging is the big thing these days. Lived in but not cluttered. I know you have to be looking forward to the next version of the HT though. I'm sure that will be pretty far down the priority list for a while. Oh, my back hurts just thinking about moving...

Well in theory my back shouldn't hurt too much since the company will cover movers. But in practice, even though we'll probably sell to the company, we don't do things halfway, so we will haul a bunch of stuff to storage to stage things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Hey Dave, I'm sure its for the best. Let us know what the theater impact is and how the sale goes. Me, I'd love to do another build, it's just so much damn fun!

Bud

Might be an interesting test case. My house is technically a "detached" condo. There are 3 identical units for sale already. One with a finished basement with a wet bar. The other with an unfinished basement (and a FSBO). I'll likely have an out since after a certain amount of time I can sell to the company at the appraised price. I hope the appraiser is an A/V nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videocam View Post

Dave,
Congrats on the promotion...but really sorry we won't see this theater reach all of it's glory. My choice would be to keep the SMX (and take it with you ) and go with a non-at screen in the theater you leave behind.
P.S.
Will you be changing your forum name to PA_pilgrim?

Thanks, your space is cruising along. Yeah, I reached the conclusion to keep the SMX. The DC part comes from when I lived in DC and has survived one move, might as well keep it for another. Besides, then I'd change my join date and lose all my street cred.
post #409 of 523 Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross E View Post

Dave .... Ross brings up a good point.... at least you're not being moved to Tunkhannock (sorry Ross, I was stuck out there for two years in the Mehoopany area... quaint area with nothing around )

Nick
post #410 of 523 Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to call Blue Bell, PA every day in my business and all I can say is that I hope the women in other parts of PA have a little more personality and a sense of humor. Wow, I feel like a beat down dog after I get off the phone there...
post #411 of 523 Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq627 View Post

Dave .... Ross brings up a good point.... at least you're not being moved to Tunkhannock (sorry Ross, I was stuck out there for two years in the Mehoopany area... quaint area with nothing around )

Nick

I don't view this as a glamorous location. Therre are a few centers of activity, but its mostly farm country in my trips down there. Sounds like I should prioritize HT 2.0.

Quote:

I have to call Blue Bell, PA every day in my business and all I can say is that I hope the women in other parts of PA have a little more personality and a sense of humor. Wow, I feel like a beat down dog after I get off the phone there...

It looks like that place is closer to Philly, whose sports fan certainly have a fierce demeanor. Time will tell I guess.
post #412 of 523 Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well we've been scrambling to get this place saleable. I have to admit, it is really bitter sweet to be building a theater for some one else. I harbor a secret fear that a buyer might rip it out.

Step one was to paint, starting with the screenwall going black (makes a HUGE difference)

And we added finish coats to the side since they won't be fabric anymore. We went with an eggshell finish since this is for resale. The box containing the sump hasn't been repainted:

Also been tinkering with the column sconces. I have some velumn paper up in this test shot. Gives the frosted glass look. I got some plexiglass that we'll add later:

Here is an under shot to see how much light will bleed into the speaker area, not too bad:

We started the fabric wrap of the columns. First cut the fabric:

Then tack (we'd lose the tacks over time. We are down to 3 after completing the wrap of 5 columns):

The fabric draps a little when tacked. IT is a real challenge to keep the fabric taught. The first column and a half took us about 2 hours. It got much faster as we got rolling:

We intend to make a separate entrance on the side for removing the speakers. It will be the side least visible when you enter the room to keep the clean line aesthetics. We were working on our fourth column when my wife asked if the speakers fit through the proposed service point. Turns out it depends on which column. Sawzall to the rescue.

Here is a nearly finished product (we used about 700 staples for 5 columns, the 6th one needed caulk, so its drying).

And two side by side (fabric needs to be trimmed) - one of these holds a speaker:
post #413 of 523 Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Liked: 11
Welcome to PA! I have lived in both ends of the state but never in the middle. I used to get off the Carlisle exit off the turnpike to get on route 81 about once a month while I lived in Pittsburgh. If you are a car nut, there are a large number of big car shows held in Carlisle every year. You will find that real estate and generally the cost of living is much lower in central PA than nearly anywhere in MA.

Oh, and about the Blue Bell thing. It's a distant outer sub-burb of Philadelphia. Some of the people I know there are a little "snotty" for lack of a better word. I am sure most of the population in Blue Bell are nice however.

Be sure to pack those electronics carefully for the move. My movers were a little rough with only one box, and it just happen to hold my CPU to my office computer .

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #414 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, my kludge DIY speaker stands were meant to be hidden behind a false wall. Now that we are selling, they don't cut it. Only cost $4, so not a big loss.

I am debating between these two, both sanus, priced within a buck or two of each other.

Option A is adjustable, but I'd set to its lowest setting ~28" (2" higher than current) -

Option B comes in various sizes, but I'd get the 24" one (2" lower than current)

The big if on these is whether I'll retain them when I sell the house. The first one I find sleeker, its metal vs mdf, and might be better in a non-dedicated space. The second one is probably closer to the correct height, and it will be easier to find a center channel stand that coordinates. Any thoughts?

I am not going to DIY new ones (or fix the old one) since we have enough projects. Should have updated room pics in a couple days. We added the crown, most of the baseboards, and column trim. Essential to-do's are the sconce covers (had a misshap here, so redoing), the DIY screen, calibrate/converge PJ and carpet (an estimator is coming in today).
post #415 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I prefer Option "B" and almost bought those very ones before deciding to make my own. The other just looks like it would not be as stable but I'm sure either would do the job.
post #416 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Congrats on the promotion Dave. I know what it's like. Every time I get a house the way I want it, we've moved. This is the longest I've been in one house in the last 28 years.

Look on the bright side. Think of all the things you've learned from HT 1.0 for HT 2.0. All those "If I ever do this again, I'll do it this way...." will come in handy.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #417 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Personally I prefer Option "B" and almost bought those very ones before deciding to make my own. The other just looks like it would not be as stable but I'm sure either would do the job.

A lot of the ones that look like option A are rated for 2-4 lbs. That one is rated for 10 lbs, which is what my current speakers weigh. If all the HT stuff comes with me, option B might be better, since I always intended to upgrade the LCRs.

My wife just chimed in in favor of Option B, also. Stong vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Look on the bright side. Think of all the things you've learned from HT 1.0 for HT 2.0. All those "If I ever do this again, I'll do it this way...." will come in handy.

I am disapointed I won't get to impliment the accoustic design we worked on together. But I am kind of glad I hadn't had the time to go buy a ton of OC703. I have a few ideas for the electric boogaloo edition, Hope the next time is a tad bigger. I should get a couple months of enjoying my spoils and come up with more ideas, or at least I hope so.

Its for the right reasons, so I am pleased.
post #418 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

My wife just chimed in in favor of Option B, also. Stong vote.

Well there you go. You could have saved yourself some time by just asking her in the first place!
post #419 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I live about 20 minutes from Carlisle in Mechanicsburg. Please PM me when you get settled in and maybe we can get together for a beer and some good geeky home theater talk.

Dave

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #420 of 523 Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

I live about 20 minutes from Carlisle in Mechanicsburg. Please PM me when you get settled in and maybe we can get together for a beer and some good geeky home theater talk.

Dave

Can do. Probably won't be till May/June based on all the hoops you have to go through in this corporate re-lo. I hear Mechanicsburg is where the schools are good. . . .
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page