Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

My questions are -
- Does this approach make sense?
- Will the "phase 1" soffit areas change my accoustic treatment plans?
- Does it make sense to plan to use the soffit for treatment given this irregularity?
- Or maybe exclude the side soffits should be excluded from treatment?

May be notable that the screen is AT (SMX), and there will be some space behind the screenwall for treatment also.

I posted in bocapimp's thread to figure out how Ruben/Boca handled getting treatment and lighting into the soffit space, but would welcome input on that as well.

Finally, general dimensions - I was thinking an 18" out, 12" down. Seem reasonable?

Thanks for any input.

Here is a Side profile of the Soffit and light tray detail that we did for BocaPimp.
The Soffit is made out of MDF. The bottom is open.

Ruben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 523 Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Actually, I drew the rope light on the wrong side. It is on the Soffit wall.

Ruben

post #63 of 523 Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Thanks Ruben, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Can't wait to take the SMX out of the attic and put it in the room.

Dave

|
|
|
post #64 of 523 Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

No Problem,

If you're going to hang your soffit like I drew above, make sure you attach the 2" x 4" to the ceiling good. If you can't screw the 2x4"s into joists above make sure you use allot of heavy duty butterfly drywall anchors and Liquid Nails on the 2x4"s

Ruben

post #65 of 523 Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Minor update.

Carpenter finished (sort of) digging the hole for the bath, and framing the room. He missed a piece of the line that was supposed to go back into the shower (I think). Tommorow the plumber comes to install the ejector pump, and rough in some of the piping.

I am working up a sketchup model - so might have some meager renderings to post in the next day or two.

Bathroom framed (that sorry couch w/a slipcover will be my initial theater seating - its actually pretty comfortable, just not what's in the final plan - - budget ought to be a 4 letter word):

Trenches dug

Water table is HIGH!

Dave

|
|
|
post #66 of 523 Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

No Problem,

If you're going to hang your soffit like I drew above, make sure you attach the 2" x 4" to the ceiling good. If you can't screw the 2x4"s into joists above make sure you use allot of heavy duty butterfly drywall anchors and Liquid Nails on the 2x4"s

Ruben

Thanks Ruben - The ceiling will be RSIC - so I am not sure about anchoring to the joists. I will spec the better anchors and L. Nails. - I don't think I can have a soffit quite that wide w/o impacting the CRT mounting position - so mine will have to be smaller still. Might lessen the strain from the weight.

Dave

|
|
|
post #67 of 523 Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking good Pilgrim! My builder is planning to do just a hollow crown molding to hold the rope lighting around my soffits. I hope that works well, but I think a light tray would look better.

post #68 of 523 Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c View Post

Looking good Pilgrim! My builder is planning to do just a hollow crown molding to hold the rope lighting around my soffits. I hope that works well, but I think a light tray would look better.

Thanks. I have seen that look in other threads, and its pretty sweet. I need to skinny down the soffit, as the CRT has a fixed throw, and the AT screen pushes the room backwards.

Dave

|
|
|
post #69 of 523 Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Made a couple of quick stabs at sketchup renders. Needs a lot of work - fabric frames need to be cleaned up, fill in the empty spots, add the counter for the second row - but its a start.

Looking at the screen:

Looking at the PJ

Dave

|
|
|
post #70 of 523 Old 03-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I have seen that look in other threads, and its pretty sweet. I need to skinny down the soffit, as the CRT has a fixed throw, and the AT screen pushes the room backwards.

Thanks DC, that is great news as I am a bit concerned about it looking as good with the rope lighting lit up on the ceiling. I really only care about getting that really cool glow on the ceiling. I know stained crown molding will look really nice in the day time. If you or anyone else comes across a picture of another installation with crown molding hiding the rope light, please send me a link. Well, we are basically all done electrical now, although a lot of the lighting is not in and only temporary bulbs etc. so I will post an update later today.

post #71 of 523 Old 03-03-2007, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hey Dave, keep up the good work... you're making good progress!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #72 of 523 Old 03-03-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks DC, that is great news as I am a bit concerned about it looking as good with the rope lighting lit up on the ceiling. I really only care about getting that really cool glow on the ceiling. I know stained crown molding will look really nice in the day time. If you or anyone else comes across a picture of another installation with crown molding hiding the rope light, please send me a link. Well, we are basically all done electrical now, although a lot of the lighting is not in and only temporary bulbs etc. so I will post an update later today.

We'll look for your update. This is an example of where I saw it, looks nice IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Hey Dave, keep up the good work... you're making good progress!

Bud

Thanks Bud - its a really busy time of year with the project and work. Got a few DIY projects to do my self in the next couple days. Conduit and the mount for the CRT PJ. I'll have pics.

Dave

|
|
|
post #73 of 523 Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Looking good! What is the width and depth of your room?

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #74 of 523 Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 PM

I like the idea of using rope lighting. It will add a nice touch. Just make sure that it is dimmable. I think that there are dimmable LED rope lights that may work well in your crown molding application.

---Home Theater & Interior Designer at Pierreji.com---
post #75 of 523 Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Looking good! What is the width and depth of your room?

Thanks! Just measured the studs a day or two ago. It will be just about 13 x 17. I expect to build a false wall at either 18" or 24", which will reduce the length a bit.

Quote:

I like the idea of using rope lighting. It will add a nice touch. Just make sure that it is dimmable. I think that there are dimmable LED rope lights that may work well in your crown molding application.

Thanks, I am probably going to go with the rope light on a light tray in the soffit. I want a blue color to match the color scheme - I am not sure about incandescent vs LED - price and dimability are the key factors.

Plumbers got some work done over the last couple days. I'll have some pics soon. The ejector pump is huge.

Dave

|
|
|
post #76 of 523 Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I just saw a fantastic deal on 25' of LED rope light yesterday at Costco, but there was not enough information on the box to allow me to buy it. It was only $25. It did not say how much wattage, or if you could add to the length. I need around 40' to go around my room. The new Leviton Z-wave dimmers need a minimum of 40watts to work correctly.

post #77 of 523 Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Ebay is a great source for LED lighting. Again kust make sure that it's dimmable.

post #78 of 523 Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaC View Post

Ebay is a great source for LED lighting. Again kust make sure that it's dimmable.

Do you have a recommended Ebay store you deal with for LED lighting?

DC,

I just got an amazing surprise today. I came home to no contractor, which bummed me out initially. They normally show up late in the day after working on somebody elses job, but they were not in. My women freind the interior decorator called me to get the dimensions of my ceiling in the theater area. When I went down to measure I didn't notice for a bit, but then saw that the entire perimeter of the room is now insulated. Progress is sweet. Hope all is well on your job.

Dave

post #79 of 523 Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

My wife also went to a specialty tile store after we were kinda lost at Lowes/HD to look for tile for the bath. It will be a neutral tile, these were the samples she brought home.

I like 1&2 based on the picks, but its hard without being able to contrast colors.

I got an italian porcelain tile at Lowes the other day that looks remarkably like #3 Pretty inexpensive as well.

I laid them this weekend, they were actually very uniform in size. Usually with the less expensive tiles they vary in size.

Are you doing the tiling yourself?

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #80 of 523 Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Tim - we're hiring it out. I am pretty sure we are going with #4. I liked some of the more granular ones, but #4 goes better with the overall color scheme.

Dave - Funny, me too. Our plumber was a no-show today. I gave him a call, and he said he'd let me know later today if he'd be out tomorrow. I have my doubts.

Dave

|
|
|
post #81 of 523 Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Do you have a recommended Ebay store you deal with for LED lighting?

Not particularly just do a search and you should find one or two stores on ebay that supply great product for a low price.

post #82 of 523 Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just saw a fantastic deal on 25' of LED rope light yesterday at Costco, but there was not enough information on the box to allow me to buy it. It was only $25. It did not say how much wattage, or if you could add to the length. I need around 40' to go around my room. The new Leviton Z-wave dimmers need a minimum of 40watts to work correctly.

It is .87 watts per foot and it is dimable. Yes, you can add additional ropes together.

Randy

post #83 of 523 Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Plumbing update -

They mostly finished up today, a few things left to connect, then inspections. My plumber is from Ireland, and has relatives over visiting, so he won't be back for a few days. Electrician isn't out till next week, so should be kind of quiet here. Gives me time to work on some other particulars.

Onto the plumbing pics:

Here is a pic of some of the dirt hauled out. A small fraction. My wife says the pile was huge. before they filled back in. Note the dirtline on the wall

Here is a pic of the ejector pump. You only see the tip of the iceberg. The actual was much bigger than a keg. At least 3.5 feet tall.

Here is the shower placed w/2walls. It is 36x36. It is made in a way to be directly attached to the studs:

These are some of the supply lines.

Here is a shot of a PVC (venting I think) splitting a baseplate. Hope its code:

Dave

|
|
|
post #84 of 523 Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Made an impulse purchase. Bought a cheap Denon 486 receiver for $91 shipped (refurb, ecost). Seems like there is a lot going on with receivers trying to impliment HDMI, I have read countless threads on LPCM, LFE, etc. I have been envious of the people who have an old receiver that they could just run while they waited for new models and technical difficulties to sort out. I stumbled accross that receiver for next to nothing, 3 component inputs (ps3, DVR, maybe a hacked up-convert dvd player), binding posts - $91. What the heck. I wanted to have something on hand to test out the speaker wire before drywall went up. Now I can run this for six months or a year, and get some of the new tech without paying a launch price.

EDIT - my order got cancelled. Lame. Might run two channel audio from a boom box for a couple months. Very much on the fence.

Dave

|
|
|
post #85 of 523 Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A few updates. Between long hours at work, a few things have come along.

Framing continued. They put the staggered stud wall in between the media room and the utility room.

They framed the soffit in around the HVAC stuff. This is phase one. A second pase for treatment and electrical will come.

Similar for sewage pipes:

We also found a sconce for the playroom:

Next post on the mount for the CRT PJ.

Dave

|
|
|
post #86 of 523 Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

On to preparing the mount.

My carpenter put some strapping up for ceiling. This is good, as it will help allow the strut channel to sit beneath the RSIC.

A little Sawzall (merry christmas) action, and the place is clear.

Here is the strut. It will carry the burden of the 150 lbs CRT PJ

Lag bolts and washers to hold the strut to the joist.

Sawzall has some work to do.

To the ceiling:

Viola! (one of three)

I never would have done it without expert help.

Dave

|
|
|
post #87 of 523 Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Looking good Dave.

post #88 of 523 Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, we passed the framing inspection today, completing the trifecta with electrical (last week), and plumbing (two weeks ago).

A lot has come along in the last few days. HVAC is in tomorrow to run the ductwork into the bathroom and the HT. I compromised a bit on the HVAC due to limitations in the MA code on flex. I think it will work in the end, as we are running wrapped and lined duct with requisit turns, and what not. I think the cost will be in the soffit, where I had hoped to preserve space for base trapping. As it stands, the entire back wall will be eligible for trapping, and portions of the side (I think). Should know in a few days.

Plaster is going up next week, so I need to make my wiring runs. I am debating between running the speaker wire bare, or in conduit. Same for the PJ. Also considering what runs I'll need for the connecting the EQ rack and other spaces (if any).

Can't find any flexible conduit thicker than 3/4" here, so might have to rush order some online if I go that way. Was debating 2" to the PJ, plus 2" to the front stage (3 channels + sub), then either direct runs to the surrounds or put those in 3/4" conduit. I might also run 2" conduit between the EQ Rack and a closet desk I will be adding in the playroom. There is already ethernet between the two, so might not be necessary. The other decision is whether to run cables/conduit to the places in the playroom where I have added cable drops from the EQ rack. I don't see running parallel display, or audio, but you never know. Drywall hangers are coming, and I am out of town for easter. Ack!

Dave

|
|
|
post #89 of 523 Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Looking good Dave.

Thanks man, and you. You are still miles ahead of me.

Dave

|
|
|
post #90 of 523 Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I couldn't find any 2" ENT around here either, and I have accounts at the local electrical supply houses.

They were able to get me 1" transferred in from another branch, cost was $88 for 100'.

2" was available, but they had to order it, 2 weeks leads time.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page