Pilgrims Pit - Design & Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 523 Old 04-06-2007, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My rack rails arrived yesterday. I went with a pair of 35 space rails, 2 vented spacers, some screws and a plexiglass door. Shelves and other items to come later. The plan is to put the spacers on to ensure that the studs are placed properly. Shelves and a drawer for spare remotes will have to come later.

The door came in a wooden crate! I got home later and couldn't find my hammer, but I am looking forward to checking it out. It was expensive, so I hope it is nice. I had convinced myself to skip the door, but my wife talked me into it. We have an 18 month old, and the rack will technically be in her playroom . . . . Probably a good call.

Picks next week, I'll be off for easter with the in-laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 523 Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Easter bunny brought me a PS3!

Actually, it was also my birthday yesterday, but my wife did good. WIFI was weak in my den, so I didn't really test it out much last night, after the drive from the family gathering. Maybe tonight I'll trapse a huge ethernet cord throughout the house. Want to d/l a few games and trailers.
post #93 of 523 Old 04-16-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A bit of an update - we are 95% done with framing and insulation (been taking a while).

Today the carpenter framed the equipment rack. I am going with middle atlantic rails, with 35 spaces. He rough framed it, and left room for a nicer grade of wood to be inserted.

Speaking of the rack, I mentioned earlier, the rails, two blanks and the door arrived last week. The door was impressive as it came in a crate. Here it is:

Here is a cross section shot:

Here are the keys(!)

Here is a close up of the plexi-glass - its tinted, pretty nice:

In other purchase news, some conduit arrived. I ordered 2" flexible conduit from smarthome. It comes with a nylon cord in it. I can tell you from experience, tape that cord down before you install it. Otherwise it will come rolling out in front of you and your horror while you ar congradulating yourself on a job well done. Fishing a new string is a PITA. I wound up ripping it out, and installing some more (I have lots left over). I ran 2" conduit to the PJ, and to the front stage. I ran speaker wire for the surrounds. Here is 50' of conduit:
post #94 of 523 Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

In other developments, my HVAC guy built a baffle/transfer box for the return. We couldn't get the return to connect in, so we are venting into an adjacent room. To address sound control, it is a wrapped and lined box, with a partician in it. The return is set low, the air comes in, rises over the partitician in the lined space, drops, the exhausts low opposit from where it came in.

Some pics:

In the room (not screwed in yet):

In the utility room:

Close up of an entrance (you can see the lined interior/partician):
post #95 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

In other purchase news, some conduit arrived. I ordered 2" flexible conduit from smarthome. It comes with a nylon cord in it. I can tell you from experience, tape that cord down before you install it. Otherwise it will come rolling out in front of you and your horror while you ar congradulating yourself on a job well done. Fishing a new string is a PITA. I wound up ripping it out, and installing some more (I have lots left over). I ran 2" conduit to the PJ, and to the front stage. I ran speaker wire for the surrounds. Here is 50' of conduit:

I hate to do this to you, but...
Get a pail of electricians pull string. Wrap about 30 turns around your palm (maybe more for 2",) tie the bitter end around the center of the ball (butterfly style,) and cut the loops with scissors... Instant pom-pom on the end of a VERY long string.

Jamb pom-pom in one end of conduit, attach shopvac to other end of conduit, watch new fishtape FLY out of bucket.

FWIW, this method should also work when the conduit is partially occupied, but you can avoid that little horrorshow by always keeping a string in the conduit.

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
post #96 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I second the above. After spending 30 minutes trying to get a screwdrive tied to a string to "work" its way through the pipe (I should of videotaped this, would of been really funny), I tied a paper towel to a string and sucked it through with my shopvac. Took about 10 seconds.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #97 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sure, now you guys tell me .

It wasn't that big a deal in the end, as I have plenty of conduit to spare. But I am glad you told me in case I have any problems pulling the wires through later. I have decided to leave the conduit empty for now, and pull my front speaker wires and video cables after sheetrock (Friday). I have gone back and forth, and if I was DIYing, I'd pre-run and leave the conduit empty for the future. But its been enough of a struggle with the contractors that I don't trust them, especially since the plasterers are a separate subbed out crew. Hope my speaker wire to the surrounds come out okay.
post #98 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Dave,

Did your drywall guys show up? Just curious what you decided to do with your speaker wires? Wall plates or no wallplates?

Judson
post #99 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp View Post

Dave,

Did your drywall guys show up? Just curious what you decided to do with your speaker wires? Wall plates or no wallplates?

Judson

Pushed back to Friday for drywall.

I ran the conduit to the stage area. I am going to put a box in for that (and for the video) and leave the conduit empty. I will decide whether to wall-plate or run direct after the drywall is up.

Where did you get that black wall plate for all the wire spitting out? Smarthome?

BTW - I got my rails from nineteeninch.com which you referenced- - no complaints.
post #100 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Pushed back to Friday for drywall.

I ran the conduit to the stage area. I am going to put a box in for that (and for the video) and leave the conduit empty. I will decide whether to wall-plate or run direct after the drywall is up.

Where did you get that black wall plate for all the wire spitting out? Smarthome?

BTW - I got my rails from nineteeninch.com which you referenced- - no complaints.

Pictures look great! I will have to look into that air return idea as I might have a similar issue.

I got the bulk wire wall plate from FourPair.com. Other places had it but this was the better price/shipping/color.

Glad that nineteeninch.com worked out for you. I will definitely use them for the rest of my rack goodies!

Judson
post #101 of 523 Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lookin real good DC, keep up the great work. That rack door looks very impressive! Can't wait to see the finished product.
post #102 of 523 Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Judson - thanks for the link. Perfect. There has been a little activity around the air return. My HVAC guy pointed out that we really want to anchor it to the staggered studs on the HT side, so there will be a bit of rework there. I'll post pics when its done.

Cherokee - thanks - things are coming together. My wife pushed for the door to keep little hands out. Now that I have it, I think it was a good call.

In other news, I posted a minorly silly picture of myself on the web, and won a blu ray DTS Sampler disc. Sweet! Now that the contest is closed, no reason why you guys shouldn't see my winning entry. Thanks to Critical-listener for generously running a fun contest.

link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10268648

My entry (contest: "why should I get the disc"):
Quote:

If I don't get it I will ride a camel to your house and whack you with my prosthetic leg.

*yes that is me. Note, I have water sufficient for the journey (presumably the camel does too).

post #103 of 523 Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

ROTFL!!! Great photo!! Gratz on winning the disc.

post #104 of 523 Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Cathan.

Update - Tomorrow is the craziness. . ..

Blueboard (type of drywall) was delivered today.. Here is the half-inch for the rest of the basement:

They stacked it on its side, which was kind of weird. In all the threads I have read, I have only seen it lying flat on the floor. Perhaps because otherwise there is a risk it will come crashing down on your wife's leg, like these 15 sheets of 5/8ths did:

Needless to say, we had a bit of a scare. I was moving it smidge to look at the HVAC return which had been adjusted today. I wanted to verify the decoupling efforts. In a blink of an eye, gravity kicked in, and 15 sheets were keeling over. I was holding the baby, so my wife rushed in to help. She wound up getting bowled over, and just missing having a rusty nail jammed into her torso - - so we are thankful it was only bruises. So far she is being very gracious about it. Hope it stay that way. Anyways, you can see the return in this shot of the rear. It is screwed to strapping that is not attached to the stud that connects to the utility room side (stag stud):

Moving counter-clockwise, here is the back wall (the sump pit charger is going to be moved):

And the side soffit (taken from the front)

Here is the future screenwall:

Here is a bump in the soffit that we did to mirror the HVAC. We need to decide what we want to do with the front view now that we know we have these bumps. You can see some conduit popping into the room too. I will trim that back after the sheetrock is up.

I added some threaded rod coming down from the ceiling to be used as part of the mount for the CRT projector. It hangs 18 inches. I plan to trim it back after the rock is up. The intention is that RSIC clips and hat channel will ride over the strut attached to the joists (see earlier in the thread) - you will note, there is no RSIC clips up right now, nor hat channel. Yes, the carpenter has a few things on his punch list (including more insulation in the ceiling/soffits). Yes, this makes me nervous.

Here is a shot of the conduit to the PJ. It will be trimmed back after the rock is up. The box is loosely nailed, as I wasn't sure what height to make it, since the RSIC clips aren't up, and the hat channel isn't here (!)

Here is the other end of the conduit in the utility room, where the rack will go, messy, huh?

I am 7 hours away from action. Unfortunately, my job is nuts now also, so I have to go to work tomorrow. My wife will have to supervise for me. Fingers crossed.
post #105 of 523 Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome - can't wait to see the updated pictures!

post #106 of 523 Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nice progress Dave,

I was wondering about the blue ring around the conduit ends, is that some sort of plaster ring, does it attach to the low voltage box or does it have the wings for existing work and eventually grip the sheetrock? Never noticed them before at the local home stores.

Glad the wife wasn't badly hurt, I've had nails go through my foot (ya it happened twice when I was young) could've been bad not knowing what it could have punctured.
post #107 of 523 Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay - change of plans. Sheetrock guys pushed back to Monday.

I am actually kind of relieved, since the carpenter is still coming today, and will install the RSIC, hat channel, more insulation, and a few other things on the punch list.

Oman - thanks for the concern. Like I said, we are thankful. The blue ring was something in the aisle at HD where I got the carlon box. I think it is a ring for a ceiling fan mount - or something similar. Anyways, 2" conduit fits in neatly, and the screw holes, while not perfect, did line up. I can take more detailed pictures over the later half of the weekend if you like, I have one set loose right now.
post #108 of 523 Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If you get to it that would be cool. Seems like a good option to tidy up the conduit. Thanks.
post #109 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oman - wound up staying in NH little longer than planned, so couldn't get more pics. I did find this on the Carlon website. The screw holes that lined up (not quite perfect, but 90%) to the box are the ones on the outer ring (the open one, and the slide-one).

http://www.carlon.com/sd-cgi/hsrun.h...logObjectId=90

In other news, the sheetrock hangers arrived this morning. My carpenter bailed on Friday, so he is finishing up his punch list concurrently. I hope it is going well. Hopefully pics tonight.

Funny story, he hunted around for RC-1 (hat channel) that would fit the clips. When he got to the supply house the guy who sold it asked him where he got the clip he had brought with him. That he'd just seen it for the first time at a trade show a while back. He had to say his client had gotten it off the internet. Thanks Bpape!
post #110 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 AM

Liked: 13
The plexi doors really look good. Wait until you see it with the little lights from all your equipment on behind it. Might sound silly but I dunno, I love racks.
post #111 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I can NOT believe it! They only used 2 of the 4 cases of green glue. They'd need at LEAST a portion of the third (I over order). UNFRICKENBELIEVABLE!
post #112 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hm, did they in fact apply it correctly?

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #113 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay - I can call off the dogs. He ran out of sheetrock - he still has 6 more sheets or so to hang.

Phew!
post #114 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oman - here are a couple more. Mind you, it seems the knocked the rings out on install of the sheetrock.

and another:
post #115 of 523 Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay here is the update from the sheetrock hanging day - -

Here is the screenwall. There will be a false wall about 18-24" away, with an AT screen (SMX). I am still thinking through the front. Initially I was thinking no stage, and a straight false wall - not unlike Larry Chanin's (although he is shadow boxed) - now I am debating an arch, or a curved marquee, since those bumped soffits came in.

Here is a closeup of the side soffits in the front. You can see the box for the conduit. The ring got knocked out, and the conduit isn't popping through at the moment, but the opposite wall is still raw.

Here is the threaded rod for the CRT PJ

Here is a close up - holes are a little bigger than I would have hoped:

The return came in good:

Here is a suppy (1 of 2)- quite a gap due to the RSIC clips + hat channel (note some GG):

This close up shows the gap. The HVAC guy is going to loosen it, and bring it flush with the sheetrock, the affix to it when the grates go up.

Here are some of the "empties"

Here is the entrance. The rack isn't cut in yet (I can't wait to see the door in action either Max).

Accross from the rack, is the grafik eye - waiting for action -

I ordered the blue LED rope light today. Went with 1000bulbs - since everyone reports its dimmable. The price was horrendous. I should have quite a bit left over if anyone wants to pick buy my excess off me.

Time for bed. Take it easy all.
post #116 of 523 Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can NOT believe it! They only used 2 of the 4 cases of green glue. They'd need at LEAST a portion of the third (I over order). UNFRICKENBELIEVABLE!

Dave, your Boston is showing

You spotted two unused cases of Green Glue, but not six missing sheets of rock, before posting? You may be a little too emotionally invested in this project!
It's a lot healthier to take a pragmatic approach to major reno projects, and just accept that some stuff will be done wrong and have to be corrected.

When you're all done, I (NEC 9PG) and Chip (a.k.a. stefuel, Ampro 4600HD) would be interested in the end results. Did you say you had a G70?

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
post #117 of 523 Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity, is blueboard any different than "regular" drywall?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #118 of 523 Old 04-24-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yes, blueboard is designed as a substrate for plaster. The paper facing is designed to bond with the plaster veneer.

Tim
post #119 of 523 Old 04-24-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I always assumed that blueboard is also less prone to water damage (D'OH (slaps forehead,) plaster is a wet process.)
I didn't plaster, but used blueboard in my bath remodel and in my basement (prevent wicking from concrete.)

post #120 of 523 Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank for the pics,

Your is project is really starting to come together.

Any concern with using blue board downstairs in the basement. I've always been told at the minimum you want to use green board and more recently the paperless boards to prevent any mold issues.

Edit: jtnfoley just answered my question, I'll have to rethink what I want to do in my basement now.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page