Playroom update -
Had the day off today and we took on the eyesore in the playroom. Yesterday we framed our fix, but here I'll show the progression from evil to good.
First, what our carpenters built. Big, sconce blocking, non-disapearing, thing:
Next, was a version of the same thing, slightly smaller, with less craftmanship (uneven edges random pieces of molding to disguise that the wood wasn't sufficiently sized, wood in lieu of mesh on the front. To spare the guilty we neglected to photograph it, and instead I'll show you what we thought of it, specifically, adios:
Yesterday we started the healing:
This morning we carefully cut blueboard, with mitered angles, exacto-knife jujitsu, and a dash of staples and adhesive:
Finally, tonight, post toddler in bed, we got messy as, pure novices, we mixed up a batch of veneer plaster, (two trips to get the right mixing bit for the drill), lifted our trowels and other scraping implements, and did the race against time of trying to make the plaster look right before it dried. I am a lucky man to have a wife with a steady hand and an abundance of patience (with plaster, and me). It came out pretty nice, mostly on par with the work the pros did in the rest of the basement. It should be as near to invisible as its gonna get when we paint the walls.
Plastering notes: It is very messy and tedious. Oh, and its messy too.