Cotton insulation for Bass Traps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've seen thick cotton being used as bass traps in a couple of HT threads here (SandmanX, swithey). I've been wondering if the cotton insulation seen here is dense enough to use as corner or soffit bass traps ?

Bonded Logic Ultratouch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 04:53 AM

Liked: 10
Looks like the same stuff I used in mine...
post #3 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

oldredtop,

Do you have any pics ? Did you use it as bass traps or wall insulation ?

Ivan
post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM

I read much of what Ethan has written on the subject. The question that I have regarding bass traps is, why not use a mixture of materials in corner traps?
Wasn't it Ruben who had the problem of over trapping his room using this material?

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann View Post

I read much of what Ethan has written on the subject. The question that I have regarding bass traps is, why not use a mixture of materials in corner traps?
Wasn't it Ruben who had the problem of over trapping his room using this material?

Good point and im not sure if Ruben had issues with the cotton. I've never read his entire thread. I'll take a look and search. My plans is to make a smaller version of the triangles Ruben made, somewhere around 12" x 12" x 17", and hopefully not make the room too dead. I think I can at least start at the size above and add more if needed as long as it doesn't kill my highs freqs too much.

Here are a few posts from another bass trap thread.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB_KSU View Post

I guess my biggest concern is that I am only able to treat two of four corners where my side walls meet so I would like to have the most efficient design as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

That's not enough for great results, though I guess it's better than nothing. You should also consider treating as many wall-ceiling corners as you can, and even wall-floor corners if possible. The more corners you treat, the flatter and tighter the low end will be.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredtop View Post

I have some spare cotton material. If I cut it into triangles and place it behind the existing frame will I gain much absorption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

If it's spare, sure, throw all your scraps back there.

post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Ivan,

I know I took some pictures, but I can't put my hands on them. I used the material as bass traps in the corners, in my columns, in the rear soffit, and in the screen wall. I used the rigid acoustical cotton for the 2' x 4' x 2" panels I used at the first reflection points and between the columns. It's too expensive to use just as insulation... All design for amount and positions of the material was done by Bryan Pape on this forum. I highly recommend him.

According to Ethan Winer on this forum is is very difficult to "over trap" the low frequencies. However, if someone were capable of doing that, it would be Ruben... That said, I highly admire the guy and his theater...also I'm an owner of his smx screen material. So please don't take my earlier comment as a criticism. I'm actually a big fan and admirer of his work.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Okay, here's another thing to consider w.r.t. overtrapping. I agree with another post about it being pretty much impossible to trap too much bass. That said, you could make the room overly dead by trapping too much of the mids and highs. If that happens, just put some cardboard or paper over the traps before you wrap them with fabric. It won't adversely affect bass trapping, but will reflect other frequencies back into the room.

Craigo

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 AM

This depends on where you set the crossover, the volume and by the overall resonance of the room.
I plan on using corner traps on the front wall. After all, I won't know how much bass is too much until I start fooling around with the volume; at that point I figure that I can EQ the bass end with a parametric device.
I've played bass guitar for years and the one thing I've learned is how easy it is to over due the bass by rolling the amp up just a touch too much. A chord played on a bass at low volumes will sound fine. Yet, when the same chord is played at a higher volume it can sound horrendous.

I've attached a pdf. written about bass range frequencies. It's only eleven pages, but, it's a good article.

Optimum frequency response curves in the bass range..pdf 169.1337890625k . file

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #9 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 12:59 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeliciano View Post

I've seen thick cotton being used as bass traps in a couple of HT threads here (SandmanX, swithey). I've been wondering if the cotton insulation seen here is dense enough to use as corner or soffit bass traps ?

Bonded Logic Ultratouch

Contact BPape here on AVS he has the absolute best pricing on this cotton and all accoustic treatments period. He is even much cheaper than buying direct from the manufuacturer or distributor. I used him for all my treatments and saved tons of money.

The mark up everyone else online gets for these accoustic products is insane. Sometimes 10x more than cost.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann View Post

The problem was that my Velodyne Sub had phase issues and my new DSP amps were not set up properly. I sent the sub amp plate to Velodyne and they fixed the problems. Bass is not an issue in my room any longer and the treatments remain the same. I used that same blue cotton for my bass traps and it worked out very well. I had to turn my subs down because it scares my wife and certain friends that come over.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #11 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bonded Logic Ultratouch

THis is the exact same material I used for my Bass Traps. Same packaging and all. Its comes in 3.5" and 5.5" thick I believe (can't quite remember at the moment).

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #12 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My room is pretty small 16 x 11 x 9 and bass traps in the front corners will be near impossible due to the size of my L & R speakers so I'm doing the rear corners and some in the soffit.

Below is what im planning (drawing not complete).

post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Contact BPape here on AVS he has the absolute best pricing on this cotton and all accoustic treatments period. He is even much cheaper than buying direct from the manufuacturer or distributor. I used him for all my treatments and saved tons of money.

The mark up everyone else online gets for these accoustic products is insane. Sometimes 10x more than cost.

Ruben

Ruben,

Definitely will talk to Bryan. Thanks for the referral. How are your high frequencies acting with all that bass trapping you have? That is one thing I'm afraid of affecting.

Ivan
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ruben,

Definitely will talk to Bryan. Thanks for the referral. How are your high frequencies acting with all that bass trapping you have? That is one thing I'm afraid of affecting.

Ivan

Mostly all my bass traps are paper faced with kraft paper so high frequencies bounce off them.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page