What kind of roofing felt should be used for my stage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I will soon be building my stage and plan on putting a layer of roofing felt between each layer of plywood. Searching this forum, I noticed almost everyone recommends using 30lb paper for optimal result. The problem is I cannot find that kind of paper where I live (montreal, Canada). 15lb paper is common around here, and I also manager to find 60lb paper, but no 30lb paper...

15lb paper looks like thick paper that can easily torn with hands. 60lb paper on the other hand seems much thicker, almost the same thickness as the shingles they used on my roof (warranty 30 years).

Could anyone help me: what kind of paper should I use. Will the 15lb one still do the trick? should I double it to achieve expected results? is the 60lb one too thick?

Thanks everyone for your input!

Stef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

I will soon be building my stage and plan on putting a layer of roofing felt between each layer of plywood. Searching this forum, I noticed almost everyone recommends using 30lb paper for optimal result. The problem is I cannot find that kind of paper where I live (montreal, Canada). 15lb paper is common around here, and I also manager to find 60lb paper, but no 30lb paper...

15lb paper looks like thick paper that can easily torn with hands. 60lb paper on the other hand seems much thicker, almost the same thickness as the shingles they used on my roof (warranty 30 years).

Could anyone help me: what kind of paper should I use. Will the 15lb one still do the trick? should I double it to achieve expected results? is the 60lb one too thick?

Thanks everyone for your input!

Stef:
I think now-a-days, people are suggesting the use of "green Glue" instead of the felt.
If you are planning on using it for the double drywall sandwich, maybe pick up a bit more?
Just my two cents...
Tom
Chinaclipper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I hadn't thought about that...Good thing is I used GG for my walls, bad thing is I only have three tubes left. What amount of GG is required for the stage? (I mean per sheet of plywood, or 2x8)?

Stef
post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You'll be fine using 30 year roofing felt on your stage.

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Several years ago the specification was 50# roofing felt between layers. Today we have Green Glue available...a much better alternative. In any case 15# would be too thin and light to have any value.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How much Green Glue should be used between the layers of plywood? I browsed through Audio Alloy's site and could not find any data or recommendations for such use. Should I use the same amount of GG as what they recommend for the walls? that would be my bet...can anyone confirm?

Stef
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page