Feeling in over my head. Best way to proceed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still in the planning stage, but construction will start within the next two weeks. This forum has been VERY helpful, but at times I feel in over my head. I have so many questions. Some have been answered with a forum search, but others remain. I have done DIY remodels in the past and don't have a problem with that. It's the technical stuff (sand in stage, grafik eye, column placement, acoustics) that gets overwhelming. I still want to tackle this myself because of the sense of accomplishment that follows a well done project (I've had a few projects work out great. ) With that in mind, would the best way to go be a main thread with lots of questions or individual ones specifying each concern?

I'm sure many here have worried over little aspects of the design and construction but some how made it through it all. I hope to be one of them!

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would go ahead and start a "construction" thread for yourself now, with your plans and questions. You will get answers Anything that gets overlooked in your main construction thread, post as a separate question. We all started out in the same place (nowhere), you learn by reading and asking, so start that thread! If you want to, you could just use this thread... I like the title, describes most of us when we started.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm building right now, and I'm at the stage where I'm delaying my sheetrock & Green Glue, because, I don't want to leave anything out. That said, I'm ahead of schedule.
Don't know if you read SandmanX, Chinadog, Swithey or MarkP's threads? But, the common element is - when they needed advice they asked and they received plenty of solutions. What impresses me the most is the quality of advice from people in the AVS trade. Truly amazing!
I'll bet you, no matter how your theater turns out, you will be pleased.

Good Luck,
Winkelmann

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Liked: 12
Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY HT. I would start a thread, post pics and ask some questions. You may get differing opinions on certain aspects of the build, buts that's ok. When I was building mt HT this fall, I asked many questions(no main thread) but was lucky enough to find someone who designs HT for a living and he helped thru the whole process. What took me 2 months to complete would have taken a year without him.

Good luck with your build, it is a fun, aggravating, rewarding experience. And don't worry the reason these boards are here is to help others, like yourself.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I agree with Winklemann, start a construction thread,put up some layouts etc and ask some spercific questions. There are some great folks here. I think the majority enjoy working the problems with people who ask.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #6 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I concur - review some of the excellent build threads and start your own construction thread. Sometimes thou it is best to ask a Q outside your thread as it could get hijacked or taken of on a tangent if say you asked 'Should I use Green Glue or Peanut Butter between my layers of drywall'

Is also good for newbies looking for advice and followers catching up on your progress......and you never know your thread could become one of the ones people refer to like Sandmans, Chinadogs, Ronnies, Switheys, and ebrs .....these have all been a great learning resource for me.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #7 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I have read many of the threads mentioned and even printed out sections of them to look over again. I do have time (at work ) for detailed planning, so I will keep plugging away. I posted my initial thread just two days ago. Maybe I need to start with a name for my theater!
Anyways, here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=791905

I asked a few questions there. I'll probably focus on one area, like the front wall until I get that designed the way I like. The 'show us your screens' was a great thread as well.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Ah, a classic case of "HT inertia." I have had it for about 6 months and just this weekend broke out of it. Symptoms include an inability to proceed with the project because of the fear of doing something "wrong" and spending countless hours worrying about whether some extreme technique is worth the extra expense and time. For example, is it worth putting 2 layers of drywall with green glue if you don't want to spend a weekend building boxes to enclose your can lights. What about furring strips? You know if you use furring strips your room just became 1.5" narrower? Now add 2 layers or 1/2" drywall, you just lost another 2". Now linacoustic, 2 more inches gone. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! No wonder you can't get started!

But, there is help. Start with a thread, a floor plan, and some basic pictures. Read the threads mentioned above. Then read Blackcatt's and the Geek's thread also, because you need a sense of humor when you embark on this journey. Most importantly, realize that even if you wait 10 years to start your project, there are going to be things you mess up, things you wish you would of done, and things you are down right embarrassed about. But at least you can then write a post about it and get ridiculed by your peers. Get off your butt and start building, my man! Your theater awaits you!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Ah, a classic case of "HT inertia." I have had it for about 6 months and just this weekend broke out of it. Symptoms include an inability to proceed with the project because of the fear of doing something "wrong" and spending countless hours worrying about whether some extreme technique is worth the extra expense and time. For example, is it worth putting 2 layers of drywall with green glue if you don't want to spend a weekend building boxes to enclose your can lights. What about furring strips? You know if you use furring strips your room just became 1.5" narrower? Now add 2 layers or 1/2" drywall, you just lost another 2". Now linacoustic, 2 more inches gone. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! No wonder you can't get started!

But, there is help. Start with a thread, a floor plan, and some basic pictures. Read the threads mentioned above. Then read Blackcatt's and the Geek's thread also, because you need a sense of humor when you embark on this journey. Most importantly, realize that even if you wait 10 years to start your project, there are going to be things you mess up, things you wish you would of done, and things you are down right embarrassed about. But at least you can then write a post about it and get ridiculed by your peers. Get off your butt and start building, my man! Your theater awaits you!

Wow. This hits the nail on the head. Fear of doing something "wrong". Come to think of it, it was the discussion about can lights that sent me over the edge!! Geez. I've come back around though.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
At least going the DIY route if you do something and end up not liking it then it is very easy to change it mid stream and get it the way you want it. Of course after the 3rd or 4th redo of a design element the WAF becomes a problem, but let that stop you.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page