post #301 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

You'd definitely need to lose the prosceniums (or greatly reduce them) in your room to go wider on the screen. I have NO regrets going CIH and love the AT screen as well.

Are you still planning on the rs20? Have you given thought to a lens or just zooming? Considered the AE3000? Are you going to do any masking?

Just spoke with my HT guy. He says given where my throw is (12.5') I'd be limited on what size screen, otherwise the lens (Panamorph) won't be able to effectively do its thing. He suggested no bigger than 45x106. Obviously with my original screen being 54x96 I ended up gaining width but losing height. Not too big a deal breaker for me since mainly movie watching (and I took inventory of my BDs and see only 1 or 2 out of 26 are 1.78). Could potentially move the projector to the second row but with my 10" riser I just don't think it's a wise move.

Regarding the masking, once you factor in the screen frame, I've only got about 14" on each side not leaving me with many options. I think I can live with the black bars on the side.

OMAN-using your formula would take me to 146 wide, which I'm nowhere near...ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Just spoke with my HT guy. He says given where my throw is (12.5') I'd be limited on what size screen, otherwise the lens (Panamorph) won't be able to effectively do its thing. He suggested no bigger than 45x106. Obviously with my original screen being 54x96 I ended up gaining width but losing height. Not too big a deal breaker for me since mainly movie watching (and I took inventory of my BDs and see only 1 or 2 out of 26 are 1.78). Could potentially move the projector to the second row but with my 10" riser I just don't think it's a wise move.

Regarding the masking, once you factor in the screen frame, I've only got about 14" on each side not leaving me with many options. I think I can live with the black bars on the side.

OMAN-using your formula would take me to 146 wide, which I'm nowhere near...ugh.

14" is plenty for a masking system.. or even curtains. For example, I believe the SMX masking system is about 4" per side (included in the frame). That said, I am currently happy without a masking system myself and I'd say that 90% of our viewing is 16:9 (TV and video games). Just a point to consider.

Our projector is above the second row (approximately a 17' throw). In fact, it is directly over the middle seat in the back row which works out, since no one will ever be fully standing under it. The ceiling height is ~7'6 not counting the 8" riser which makes the effective ceiling height 6'10". I've never been in danger of hitting the projector, though if it was further forward, I'd be a bit more uneasy about people touching it.

16:9 at 45" high = ~92" diagonal = 3614.26 sq. in.
16:9 at 54" high = ~110" diagonal = 5167.63 sq. in.

If you view a lot of 16:9 material (such as HDTV), you will be giving up quite a bit of real estate by shrinking the screen that much (~40%).

Personally, I'd go with a longer throw and a bigger screen. But that's just me and the fact that I do a lot of 16:9 viewing (tv, video games). I wanted to maximize my 16:9 viewing and as a bonus, have the extra width for movies.
post #303 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

14" is plenty for a masking system.. or even curtains. For example, I believe the SMX masking system is about 4" per side (included in the frame). That said, I am currently happy without a masking system myself and I'd say that 90% of our viewing is 16:9 (TV and video games). Just a point to consider.

Our projector is above the second row (approximately a 17' throw). In fact, it is directly over the middle seat in the back row which works out, since no one will ever be fully standing under it. The ceiling height is ~7'6 not counting the 8" riser which makes the effective ceiling height 6'10". I've never been in danger of hitting the projector, though if it was further forward, I'd be a bit more uneasy about people touching it.

16:9 at 45" high = ~92" diagonal = 3614.26 sq. in.
16:9 at 54" high = ~110" diagonal = 5167.63 sq. in.

If you view a lot of 16:9 material (such as HDTV), you will be giving up quite a bit of real estate by shrinking the screen that much (~40%).

Personally, I'd go with a longer throw and a bigger screen. But that's just me and the fact that I do a lot of 16:9 viewing (tv, video games). I wanted to maximize my 16:9 viewing and as a bonus, have the extra width for movies.

While I know a little about the SMX screens I'm not familiar with the masking system. Is it a big upcharge to have that add-on and what exacty does it do?

You've got me contemplating such but of course my ceiling is all closed up and I've got my conduit running to the 12' spot. Had the foresight to add blocking back for the second row in case of projector swap but did not run a second conduit (stupid). Though I think the GC can still get the HDMI back there through the equipment closet which only has a drop ceiling. I'm a bit more height challenged than you though. I've only got 89", so take away 10" for the riser, netting me only 79" (just over 5' 8").
post #304 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The masking systems are quite pricey. I don't know exactly what the SMX ones run, but I'm sure its over $3-5K. Carada and a few others have masking systems in the 2-3K range as well, though they seem to only stock a set number of sizes.

Whatever you decide to do about the projector/screen...just try to make sure you'll be happy with what you decided. It'll be even harder to change it down the road so even if there is some added pain in getting it how you want now, it'll be MUCH easier than 6 months or a year from now while your GC is still around. If you think there is a chance you will want a bigger screen down the road, you probably will.

Try taping off the screen 2.35 screen sizes you are considering as well. It might help.

You can always use mount the projector with toggles instead of screwing into blocking. Not as nice, but still gets the job done.

If the projector is directly over a seat or not over an aisle, 5'8" is probably ok... if it's in the aisle, it's probably not a good idea. You seem to have a fairly large riser... I wonder how big of a screen you could do by just moving the projector back a foot or two. How much space will there be between the front and back row and how far from the back wall with the back row of seats be?
post #305 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am also looking for a 130" + wide 2.35:1 screen and a masking system for 16:9 constant height viewing. Regarding SMX masking system pricing, check this post at their forum:

http://www.smxscreen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523

Ruben there says: "MSRP's start at $9k"

ouch.
post #306 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the projector is directly over a seat or not over an aisle, 5'8" is probably ok... if it's in the aisle, it's probably not a good idea. You seem to have a fairly large riser... I wonder how big of a screen you could do by just moving the projector back a foot or two. How much space will there be between the front and back row and how far from the back wall with the back row of seats be?

Riser is 8' deep. Front row to be almost butted up against the riser - leave a little spacing for baseboard heat. I have the second row placed at 24" from the front of the riser. If I had to guess then that would put the throw at around 16-17' over the second row. HT guy was reluctant to have me move my projector with the limited headroom. But if I can get it back without potential projector head-bang then he said I can get a screen measuring 54"x127" (netting me no loss in height and a gain of 31" in width). Only other worry then is the 10" riser will have to do (was considering adding more height since I had some trouble seeing the very bottom of my blue tape over my husband's head).

With the $$$ for masking I can live with the side black bars. Again, most of my viewing will be BDs.
post #307 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the projector is at least directly above the seat (or further back), it shouldn't be a head bang issue. When seated, people will be well away from it (much lower). As you sit or stand, you will never be at full height AND under the projector. As you get out of the seat, you lean forward, for example.

It's hard to tell the full prospective from your pictures, but it seems like the projector could be moved back a foot or two without too much difficulty or getting in the way. Just not sure how much more screen size it'd buy you.

I agree about the masking. We are living without it for now. Eventually I may rig something up (such as velvet wrapped panels)... but it's not worth more than the price of the screen to me. It's money better spent elsewhere.

post #308 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Hey jamis, I am currently designing trendy, disposable, recyclable, horse blinkers styled eyeware, for 2.35:1 to 16:9 masking. My kids would love to mass produce them!
post #309 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I can second what Jamis is saying about sitting and standing concerning the back row. I have a whole soffit shelf in the back and its been a non issue. Riser is 10.5" with a total ceiling height of 7'6" before soffit and riser. Pages 5 and 9 on my build show pics of the soffit which has a depth of about 30" from the back wall.
post #310 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post

Hey jamis, I am currently designing trendy, disposable, recyclable, horse blinkers styled eyeware, for 2.35:1 to 16:9 masking. My kids would love to mass produce them!

Ha! What a novel idea. Sure beats holding your hands up beside your face for the entire feature.

Just what would a set of four of these babies set me back. Would I get a beta tester discount or maybe for a set of four for free if I give six months of testimonials.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #311 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post

A very interesting concept! Even at $100 a set, you'd be way ahead based on the price of most masking systems.
post #312 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jamis,

I love the carpet in hometheater and congratulations for your hometheater it is really nice specially when your better half support you all the way, just like my wife she is very suportive too with our hometheater, Thanks for posting the link of your carpet I seach carpet one and they have a location in our area not far from where I live, I've been thinking what carpet design should I install in my hometheater but I like yours a lot,

Question there is something about 20% cheaper with the surface is kind of flat do you have a link for that? Just want to see it before I decide into carpet One,

Thanks,
Peter

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #313 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Hi Jamis,

Question there is something about 20% cheaper with the surface is kind of flat do you have a link for that? Just want to see it before I decide into carpet One,

Thanks,
Peter

The carpet we used was Lee's Unanimous (color 'Tuxedo').

The 20% cheaper carpet was a similar pattern but from the Shaw brand (as opposed to Lee's). While it was similar, we could tell a quality and texture difference and liked the Lee's better. I think this is it:

http://www.shawfloors.com/carpetDeta...treet-Blissful

Definitely check both out in person. Our Carpet One dealer had both, so we could compare them side by side.
post #314 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did a totally nerdy thing today and added an index to my first post in this thread.

I'd post a picture, but well... it's easier just to go to page 1.
post #315 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You know you are having some serious HT build withdrawals when you start indexing...LOL
post #316 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Aren't you supposed to change your sig to brag about your nifty index?
post #317 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The carpet we used was Lee's Unanimous (color 'Tuxedo').

The 20% cheaper carpet was a similar pattern but from the Shaw brand (as opposed to Lee's). While it was similar, we could tell a quality and texture difference and liked the Lee's better. I think this is it:

http://www.shawfloors.com/carpetDeta...treet-Blissful

Definitely check both out in person. Our Carpet One dealer had both, so we could compare them side by side.

Thanks a lot for the link I appreciate it, Nice photos with HT. Hopefully the carpetone near us have them both so we can compare them too.

EDIT: The more I look at your HT photos the more I wish I have bigger room for my HT, Mine is only with a closet (A/V rack and media room) of about 2.5' depth so that makes it 13x17.5x8

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #318 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Aren't you supposed to change your sig to brag about your nifty index?

Done and done!
post #319 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nerd alert! Nerd alert! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Nerd alert! Nerd alert!

Love the signature.

Now you need to change the mostly harmless (which I like BTW) to mostly nerdy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #320 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #321 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Damn..now I have to index.

Advantage Jamis!!!!

Oh no! It's spreading! Stop the insanity (10 points to who ever can name where that saying came from)!!!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #322 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Oh no! It's spreading! Stop the insanity (10 points to who ever can name where that saying came from)!!!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Susan Powter!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #323 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Regards,

RTROSE

Susan Powter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p063wg78Yss

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #324 of 959 Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Susan Powter!

Excellent! 10 points since your first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Susan Powter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p063wg78Yss

CJ

Ok I'll give you 10 points too. 5 for the correct answer and 5 additional points for the link!

Good Job to both of you!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #325 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #326 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Damn..now I have to index.

Advantage Jamis!!!!

I'll index in a few weeks when I run out of things to do in my HT. Definitely a cool idea.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #327 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I like insanity...

Really, in that case why don't you go ahead and index mine. Thanks, I appreciate it
post #328 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Really, in that case why don't you go ahead and index mine. Thanks, I appreciate it

A true nerd would jump at this offer....We will see just how nerdy jamis really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

Regards,

RTROSE

post #329 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nerdy, perhaps... lazy, definitely.

Do you own damn index, slacker.

On a side note, the replacement plexi arrived today intact and my posters are all happy.
post #330 of 959 Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Nerdy, perhaps... lazy, definitely.

Do you own damn index, slacker.

On a side note, the replacement plexi arrived today intact and my posters are all happy.

I read that as "the replacement pixel arrived today". I was about to say.....
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction