Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 958 Old 12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
. post deleted

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 958 Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

. post deleted

Fun fact:

The ears of a cricket are located on the front legs, just below the knee.
post #363 of 958 Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Jamis, awesome theater you have there.

I hope you don't mind but after another poster in another thread mentioned using your setup as reference for his own and linked to your shots, I noticed the dust orbs shown from the flash in some of your shots of the ceiling mounted PTAE3000u and commented that they could lead to dust blobs. We all have dust, I wasn't picking on you, its just that one of your shots has a lot visible, and in that other thread there are people arguing that the PTAE3000U is more prone to it (which I think is hogwash, any non sealed optics engine design is susceptible to them).

Thanks

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #364 of 958 Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Jamis, awesome theater you have there.

I hope you don't mind but after another poster in another thread mentioned using your setup as reference for his own and linked to your shots, I noticed the dust orbs shown from the flash in some of your shots of the ceiling mounted PTAE3000u and commented that they could lead to dust blobs. We all have dust, I wasn't picking on you, its just that one of your shots has a lot visible, and in that other thread there are people arguing that the PTAE3000U is more prone to it (which I think is hogwash, any non sealed optics engine design is susceptible to them).

Thanks

Oh yeah... dust is everywhere. Especially in a newly finished space (drywall).

I am also well aware of the dust blob stories and take every opportunity to bust mn_hokie that he is going to get one due to how dusty HIS setup is.
post #365 of 958 Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
post #366 of 958 Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM

Liked: 10
Jamis - regarding the newly added lights to your drybar - WOW, awesome stuff. You really picked out a great choice of granite, never seen that style before. The lights really showcase its attributes.

Think I'm going to change the name of my HT thread to "Inspired by Jamis" - as now you've got me looking at those lights for my drybar!
post #367 of 958 Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupalev View Post

Jamis - regarding the newly added lights to your drybar - WOW, awesome stuff. You really picked out a great choice of granite, never seen that style before. The lights really showcase its attributes.

Think I'm going to change the name of my HT thread to "Inspired by Jamis" - as now you've got me looking at those lights for my drybar!

Thanks! We are really happy with the granite. It's called Antique Brown. We wanted something fairly dark, but with more character and less common than say absolute black or black galaxy. This was actually a bit more brown than I originally wanted but like I said before, under low light conditions it looks near black so it worked out.
post #368 of 958 Old 12-14-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had an interesting weekend...

We lost power early Friday morning (5am-ish) due to the massive New England ice storm. We were lucky since we got power back by 4pm on Friday afternoon. As of my writing this, there are still 75,000 National Grid customers in my county without power (down from a peak of 110,000). Probably more in total since NG doesn't serve the whole county.

No major damage (a few downed trees in the back yard) but we definitely got lucky. The in-laws stayed over Friday night and most of Saturday and we put the theater to good use.

Cable/internet came back only minutes ago, though.. so it was an all videogame/movie weekend.
post #369 of 958 Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Which is why everyone should have their projectors on a UPS. Otherwise if the power goes out while it is projecting the cooling fan grinds to a halt and you potentially can melt/fry your polarizers/panels. I intentionally don't have a UPS on my sound system though (just surge protection) because I need an alert that the power has shut down; otherwise I'd blissfully continue to watch my movie on the reserve battery of the UPS until it too died and then I'd cook my projector. Doh!

post #370 of 958 Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update... A few new arrivals to the home theater!

An A-system coupler (German), porcelain tap handle, and a 50L keg of Hacker-Pschorr Dark Weisse

So I'm suffering picture posting withdrawal... I can't help it.
post #371 of 958 Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Uh oh, now the updates will be far fewer...
post #372 of 958 Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Uh oh, now the updates will be far fewer...

As you can tell.. I'm grasping at straws here!

I refuse to let my thread go to the great archive in the sky... or past page 6. Whichever comes first.

If that means posting each time I get a new keg, so be it.
post #373 of 958 Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ok,

Maybe I'm not right in the head but I see no problem with posting pictures of your new "addition" to you HT. I have never had that particular beer but would love to try it. I usually drink either Guinness or Killian's when I'm in the mood. Always from a bottle or a tap. I don't like drinking my beer from a can.

I would love to put a tap in the HT but since I have a teenager and a younger one I don't want to make the "adult beverage" too accessible. If I keep it to bottles I can keep tabs on them. I did think about this critter though.

It is strictly for the Heineken Draught Keg but I'm not a huge fan of the beer but the idea is pretty slick.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #374 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #375 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Jamis, thanks for doing all the hard part with the lighting at your bar. I've already saved the photos to my "ideas" folder, and will be following to a "T".

Things are looking great! I'm sure you're going to be enjoying the room over the holidays!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #376 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I refuse to let my thread go to the great archive in the sky... or past page 6. Whichever comes first.
t.

BIG LOL, forget about page 6, page 2 already feels like the dungeon! You could always post new screen shots.
post #377 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

As you can tell.. I'm grasping at straws here!

If that means posting each time I get a new keg, so be it.

LOL... Keep postin man...

"Hey look, I vacuumed. Here is a shot of the clean carpet..."

Pics are always good. I just scanned your last two pages as I have many times and just came up with a thought. Your stools have a flat front vs. being total round like some others are. This probably makes them more comfortable. I have read many a thread dealing with stools but that just came to me when I scanned the last time. Now that I have my third row countertop in I want to start looking for stools.

Keep the pics coming... Regardless of what they are...

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #378 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Jamis, thanks for doing all the hard part with the lighting at your bar. I've already saved the photos to my "ideas" folder, and will be following to a "T".

Things are looking great! I'm sure you're going to be enjoying the room over the holidays!

I assume you mean the Littlites? I'm really liking them. They keep the light focused where it needs to be without effecting the rest of the room. I do wish I had considered them earlier as I may have drilled holes for them in the counter for a slightly more finished look.

The room will be getting a lot of use this holiday season... if for no reason other than I am taking some time off. We do have a few parties planned, though..
post #379 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

LOL... Keep postin man...

"Hey look, I vacuumed. Here is a shot of the clean carpet..."

Pics are always good. I just scanned your last two pages as I have many times and just came up with a thought. Your stools have a flat front vs. being total round like some others are. This probably makes them more comfortable. I have read many a thread dealing with stools but that just came to me when I scanned the last time. Now that I have my third row countertop in I want to start looking for stools.

Keep the pics coming... Regardless of what they are...

Good call on the vacuuming .... though thats what we have the roomba for. Perhaps I need to have a live streaming web cam feed of it's cleaning cycle every day...

We like the stools though we've been noticing that having all four in place make them harder to get in and out of. If only one or two stools are being used, we will usually pull one out and put it in the back of the room.

In this regard, backless stools may have been a better option. They are fairly comfy though. I've been able to sit through a movie on them without an issue.
post #380 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Wouldn't it be easy enough to drill the holes at any point if you chose to? I can't tell from the photos if its granite or formica? Even if it's granite, I know the granite guys can come out and do holes on site. They can even route the holes with a finished edge.

In regards to your thread being in the "dungeon", mine's been there for some time now and it doesn't help the self esteem.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #381 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Wouldn't it be easy enough to drill the holes at any point if you chose to? I can't tell from the photos if its granite or formica? Even if it's granite, I know the granite guys can come out and do holes on site. They can even route the holes with a finished edge.

In regards to your thread being in the "dungeon", mine's been there for some time now and it doesn't help the self esteem.

The holes are the easy part... though doing the electrical cleanly would be more work. In the case of my retrofit, having the wires flow down the front of the bar worked out better. If I was planning it from scratch, I would have wired it slightly differently.
post #382 of 958 Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I would support a Roomba webcam. You could put a red ball on the carpet and take bets from us AVSers on when we think the Roomba will hit the ball.
post #383 of 958 Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Jamis,

If you are still considering media storage you might take a look at these: http://www.avmechanica.com/Alpha_Ser...s_Selector.htm
They are wall mounted and can be ganged together and will handle DVDs, CDs, and/or BDs depending on the number of shelves you order. The ~2ft wide unit will hold 50 BDs per shelf X 7 shelves = 350 BDs.

post #384 of 958 Old 12-22-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those look pretty spiffy!

I still haven't settled on what I'm going to do yet, but that is definitely on my list.
post #385 of 958 Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Jamis-

'Looking back over your thread at post #270where'd you get your poster frames?

Thanks!

Harry
post #386 of 958 Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post

Jamis-

'Looking back over your thread at post #270where'd you get your poster frames?

Thanks!

Harry

http://www.frameusa.com/corpwide.htm

Corporate Wide in black. They have tons of frame styles to choose from.
post #387 of 958 Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some real updates!

We got a popcorn machine (Maxi-Matic... looks to be the same model that Costco carries) from my in-laws! MegaPop kits have been ordered. Pics coming soon!

I'm finally working on finishing the rack. I ordered a 3U utility shelf/drawer and a sliding shelf for the laptop. Once those are in, I'll order whatever remaining blanks I need.

Lastly, I discovered my first dust blob! Horrors! It was one noticeable blob when the lights were all the way down and the screen was black. If you focused all the way out (so you could clearly see the shape of the dust particle) it was a big string like piece of dust. There were also numerous mini particles that did not show up when the picture was focused.

I went out to Circuit City and got a C02 blower (CleanDR) which leaves no residue and is only CO2 (no liquid propellant). I stuck the nozzle into each of the front vent slots closest to the lens and gave a short burst. It worked perfectly!

I highly recommend this as a first line of defense against dust blobs on LCD projectors.
post #388 of 958 Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the sliding shelf I got didn't work out (I love the MA 3U drawer though).

The sliding shelf stuck out about 6" from the front of the rack while in the closed position. This would not work and wasn't obvious on any of the websites that sold this particular sliding shelf. It's hard finding a 2 post sliding shelf that would work for me.

I sent it back today and ordered a 2U MA drawer in which to keep my laptop. I will probably remove the rubber gaskets in the back to install a fan of some sort. I also ordered 2 5U blanks and that should complete my rack!

I will post pics when it's done (of the popcorn machine too).
post #389 of 958 Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally, as promised, the popcorn machine and some finished rack pictures.

The rack pictures are a bit dark, but I think the idea comes across. Ignore the blue tape holding the IR repeater. I'll eventually replace that with black electrical tape.

I have two drawers... one for miscellaneous stuff and the other for the laptop. I kicked the laptop's power saving features up to help with heat (when its really in use, the drawer will be open). The back of the drawer has an opening for wires to which I may add a fan, if needed.

The rack is configured as such, from top to bottom (29U total):

3U PS3
5U blank
5U blank
2U drawer for laptop
1U empty for Wii
3U drawer for misc. stuff
1U blank
2U Comcast HD-DVR
2U blank
5U Denon 3808ci

post #390 of 958 Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Janis, you were kind enough to post a reply to a question I had the other day about rack lighting and you referenced your thread. I have been addicted to it ever since. Thank you for all the great ideas.

I am still in the framing/electrical stages and had a few question about your can lights. Are you happy with the 4" cans? Did you consider 3" or 5"? I will most likely go with 4".

More importantly, what spacing did you use between the 4" cans and would you change it if you had to do it again? My celings are about 8.5 feet and my theater is 17' wide. Not sure if I need two rows or three.

Finally, did you buy your rope light from the same place as your cans?

Thanks again and great job!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page