Jamis' theater thread! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 959 Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jamis,

All I have to say is I'm extremly jealous, but at the same time you have motivated me to finally take the leap in making my basement into a home theater projector system.

I ended up going with the Panny ae3k and a 120" 1.1 gain manual pull down elite screen. I wanted to go with a fix mount cinemascope screen, but this was best option by still maintaining fireplace / room functionality with limited room width of the basement.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/...4dc14c6174.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/...56bab2a77b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...eaceddc9c0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/...fa2e2faa28.jpg

As far as the panny config, do you just keep it on default on normal with a sharpness of 3?

I know every projector room is different. But this is what I have (hijacked from the owners thread) and I am quite pleased with it.

Normal Mode

Contrast 0
Brightness 2
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 3

Gamma H 0
Gamma M 0
Gamma L 0

Contrast R -4
Contrast G 0
Contrast B 2

Brightness R -3
Brightness G 0
Brightness B -3

I watched Cars and Dark Knight on bluray with these settings and was quite pleased.
Anyhow, awesome theater Jamis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 959 Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the compliments.

You should start a thread and post more pics of your room/setup. I'm curious to see how you set up the rest of your room (such as the seating and surrounds).

As far as I can remember, my sharpness is either on the default or +1 or +2. At the very least, it is not far off from the standard setting.

All of the other settings are out of the box:

Normal color mode
Normal frame processing
Frame Creation Mode 1 (off for video games)
post #453 of 959 Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Hi I followed your progress and trying not drool into my projector before I get it mounted! I was hoping for a bit of advice. I have a very toned down version of your theater. 120 " diag 16 9 screen with the new Panny 3000. Room is 13'6'' W x 17'6''L My ceiling height at the screen is 7'9" I'll mount my projector on a drop down ceiling that is 6'8" high. I can mount the projector anywhere from 12 to 15 ft from the screen and wondered if you or anyone could advise on the optimal distance from the screen for this projector? Congrats on your theater it is beautiful! Grayman
post #454 of 959 Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysongraff View Post

Hi I followed your progress and trying not drool into my projector before I get it mounted! I was hoping for a bit of advice. I have a very toned down version of your theater. 120 " diag 16 9 screen with the new Panny 3000. Room is 13'6'' W x 17'6''L My ceiling height at the screen is 7'9" I'll mount my projector on a drop down ceiling that is 6'8" high. I can mount the projector anywhere from 12 to 15 ft from the screen and wondered if you or anyone could advise on the optimal distance from the screen for this projector? Congrats on your theater it is beautiful! Grayman

I think you'll be fine anywhere in that throw distance range (I'd definitely go no closer than 12' from lens to screen). I'd put it where it looks the best and is the most out of the way (to reduce people bumping or touching the projector).
post #455 of 959 Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks for advice!!
post #456 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
First off I am here to help keep this spectacular thread/build as "front page news" No need to thank me just doing my part Ok now thats out of the way. This is absolutely one of my favorite builds on this entire site. The kitchen is AMAZING!!! The theater....colors, seating,screen size etc are BEAUTIFUL!!! Overall this is one of my favorites and I am completely envious.

I have a question or two for you. The first ois regarding the bathroom system you used. Can you give some more detail about the system you used, and the effectiveness of it? I see that you cant notice any components of this system in the actual bathroom where is it all? And my other question is regarding the "littlelights" Where specifically did you order them from? I saw the link for them but not sure where you got them and the cost for them? Also do you just get one with the power unit and the others tie into it or do they all have the power unit?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #457 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

First off I am here to help keep this spectacular thread/build as "front page news" No need to thank me just doing my part Ok now thats out of the way. This is absolutely one of my favorite builds on this entire site. The kitchen is AMAZING!!! The theater....colors, seating,screen size etc are BEAUTIFUL!!! Overall this is one of my favorites and I am completely envious.

I have a question or two for you. The first is regarding the bathroom system you used. Can you give some more detail about the system you used, and the effectiveness of it? I see that you cant notice any components of this system in the actual bathroom where is it all? And my other question is regarding the "littlelights" Where specifically did you order them from? I saw the link for them but not sure where you got them and the cost for them? Also do you just get one with the power unit and the others tie into it or do they all have the power unit?

Thanks for the kind words.

All of the fixtures (two sinks and the toilet) tie into the SaniPlus macerator/pump unit which sits behind the toilet. The toilet itself is a horizontal discharge unit (the water flows out horizontally through the wall and not down (vertically) into the floor. In the picture below, the extension pipe connects to the toilet to the large rubber gasket on the pump unit.

The pump then grinds everything up and pumps it out. The discharge pipe goes to the ceiling and then gravity feeds down to the sewer pipe. This unit can actually handle a shower as well.

Overall, I like the system. The only downside I've had with it thus far is the one time the GFCI outlet tripped and the unit was without power. I would recommend putting the unit on a battery backup or installing the SaniAlarm unit to warn when the unit wont discharge.

As for the Littlites, I ordered them from "All about bulbs" on EBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/All-About-Bulbs

I got the L-3/12 (12" 5W high intensity) lamps. I kind of wish I had got the 18" lamps, but the 12's are good enough. This seller had the best prices by far that I could find.

The L-3/12 units each come with their own AC adapter/transformer, so I just have all of them plugged into an extension cord with four outlets. These units can use y-splitters and such, but I didn't go that route since I got such a good deal on the light + AC adapter packages.
post #458 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

What kind of cost are we talking for a system like that and did you install yourself? If so was it easy? And how is it fed "up" to the septic system?

post #459 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Liked: 12
Hey jamis... since your HT room has made it to the top 3 of my all time best HT rooms list, I keep coming to this thread for advise almost on a daily basis. But, with 450+ posts around here, it's getting tough to keep track of all the gear you've installed over the past few weeks.. months... sooooooo... would it be too much to ask for an equipment summary on your index page? You know, just the essentials, like screen, electronics, speakers, seating, (our fave pj), etc...
Thanks,
Bill
post #460 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post

Hey jamis... since your HT room has made it to the top 3 of my all time best HT rooms list, I keep coming to this thread for advise almost on a daily basis. But, with 450+ posts around here, it's getting tough to keep track of all the gear you've installed over the past few weeks.. months... sooooooo... would it be too much to ask for an equipment summary on your index page? You know, just the essentials, like screen, electronics, speakers, seating, (our fave pj), etc...
Thanks,
Bill

Good idea I think all build threads should for that matter!

post #461 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kind of cost are we talking for a system like that and did you install yourself? If so was it easy? And how is it fed "up" to the septic system?

The SaniPlus and toilet combo run about $1000 together (not including installation). The rough and finish plumbing ran another $1500 on top of that (parts and labor... 2 days of work). Fairly reasonable I think... especially since all plumbing has to be done by a licensed plumber in my state.

In that picture, you can see a 3/4" PVC pipe bend right out of the top of the SaniPlus and then flow up to the ceiling along one of the studs. After this pipe reaches the ceiling, it takes a 90 degree bend and travels along the ceiling (pitched slightly down) and then straight down once it is over the sewer pipe (which is above the floor).
post #462 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post

Thanks,
Bill

Done.
post #463 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Done.

How do you like your PC-13 Ultra? Mine's coming Thursday so I want to live vicariously through you until then

post #464 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I refuse to let my thread go to the great archive in the sky... or past page 6. Whichever comes first.

If that means posting each time I get a new keg, so be it.

With so many fans, I guess you won't have to go the keg route .
post #465 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

How do you like your PC-13 Ultra? Mine's coming Thursday so I want to live vicariously through you until then

still loving it... Tons of power with a small footprint. I couldn't ask for more (except maybe another, though I am lucky I got wife approval on one)

It's funny that every couple of weeks I turn it up a bit more.
post #466 of 959 Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

With so many fans, I guess you won't have to go the keg route .

Speaking of which, we are almost done with our current keg (Hacker Pschorr Dunkle Weisse)...

Still trying to decide what to go for next...
post #467 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:

Done.

Wow, I didn't realize you had the SMX ProLine, thats my dream screen if I can get the cash. Anybody want to buy a kidney?
post #468 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scawt View Post

Wow, I didn't realize you had the SMX ProLine, thats my dream screen if I can get the cash. Anybody want to buy a kidney?

It was definitely a splurge, that's for sure. I justified it as follows:

1. I saved enough on other DIY projects that I could 'afford' it.

2. The construction quality was far above what I could have done on a DIY screen and yet this was cheaper than other AT solutions from the big screen players.

3. I should never have to upgrade the screen... I got the biggest I could physically fit in the room.

4. I was able to work with Ruben to get it closer to my budget. I highly recommend talking to him directly.

5. My projector and screen combo together still came in at under the MSRP for a JVC RS10 (with no screen) ....
post #469 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some real updates!

We got a popcorn machine (Maxi-Matic... looks to be the same model that Costco carries) from my in-laws! MegaPop kits have been ordered. Pics coming soon!

I'm finally working on finishing the rack. I ordered a 3U utility shelf/drawer and a sliding shelf for the laptop. Once those are in, I'll order whatever remaining blanks I need.

Lastly, I discovered my first dust blob! Horrors! It was one noticeable blob when the lights were all the way down and the screen was black. If you focused all the way out (so you could clearly see the shape of the dust particle) it was a big string like piece of dust. There were also numerous mini particles that did not show up when the picture was focused.

I went out to Circuit City and got a C02 blower (CleanDR) which leaves no residue and is only CO2 (no liquid propellant). I stuck the nozzle into each of the front vent slots closest to the lens and gave a short burst. It worked perfectly!

I highly recommend this as a first line of defense against dust blobs on LCD projectors.

I have a question regarding this unit. How long have you had it and how many times have you used it? THe reason I ask is because I am curious how long one Co2 cartridge lasts in comparison to a can of compressed air? I think this stuff would be better for electronics since it doesnt shoot liquid air into them but only wonder how long a 16gram can of Co2 will last. Any feedback?

post #470 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question regarding this unit. How long have you had it and how many times have you used it? THe reason I ask is because I am curious how long one Co2 cartridge lasts in comparison to a can of compressed air? I think this stuff would be better for electronics since it doesnt shoot liquid air into them but only wonder how long a 16gram can of Co2 will last. Any feedback?

I would probably estimate that I get about 40-50 short bursts out of it... Maybe 20 seconds continuous?

Just a rough estimate...
post #471 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Speaking of which, we are almost done with our current keg (Hacker Pschorr Dunkle Weisse)...

Still trying to decide what to go for next...

Enough talk of this "other stuff" we need to know the really important things going on.........Like what keg have you chosen to replace the Hacker Pschorr Dunkle Weisse?

I mean come on man! Don't keep us in suspense. This is really important stuff!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #472 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
He's probably saving the "keg update" for when he's banished to page two .
post #473 of 959 Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

He's probably saving the "keg update" for when he's banished to page two .

+1

Lol that is funny right there. But as long as we keep commenting he wont ahve to do any updating as we are keeping him page 1 news....right where he likes to be

post #474 of 959 Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am deeply offended at the insinuations being made here...

That said, I'm leaning towards Harp or Smithwick's next.
post #475 of 959 Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am deeply offended at the insinuations being made here...

That said, I'm leaning towards Harp or Smithwick's next.

Boy you like em dark dont ya!! Need any help finishing the next one?

post #476 of 959 Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Boy you like em dark dont ya!! Need any help finishing the next one?

Actually.. I'm pretty sure I'm going for Harp this time around (just ordered the U-system coupler and the tap handle). Harp is actually a pretty light lager.

That said, yeah, I do tend to prefer somewhat darker brews. I'll drink most anything except most of the U.S. macrobrews (coors, bud, etc) and the really hoppy IPAs.
post #477 of 959 Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update:

First... the Guinness coupler (U-System) arrived. I am expecting that we finish the current keg this week(end) and will order a keg of Harp this week.

We are also still trying to figure out what to do with the back of the theater. We moved an accent chair we had in the living room down for the superbowl party and decided to keep it there for now. The colors go very well.

The choices are:

1. Get a couple more accent chairs, a coffee or end table(s), bookshelf, etc. and make it a nice comfy lounge/seating area.

2. Get a pub height table and four stools/chairs for a place to play games, cards, eat, socialize, etc, when people are over but the screen isn't the main focus.

3. Stripper pole.
post #478 of 959 Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Stripper pole!
post #479 of 959 Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I love how it looks

Quote:

In retrospect, I wish we had used 2x10's for the riser instead of 2x8's. As it is, its JUST tall enough for an adult in the back row to see the bottom of the screen with the front row not reclined.

Do you know how high off the floor your screen is? My riser is only ~7" and I was thinking about putting the screen about 20" off the floor and leaving 10" at the top (Ive got 30" left over height), but with your comment I'm thinking maybe it should be more like 25 off the floor or something.

post #480 of 959 Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've said it previously in the thread somewhere (I'll double check later), but I think its about 31" from the floor to the bottom of the viewable screen.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction