Jamis' theater thread! - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 959 Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Ceiling height in front of theater: 7'6" (not counting stage)
Floor to bottom of viewable screen: 30.5" (not counting stage - includes frame)
Ceiling to top of viewable screen (including frame): 4.25" (3.5" screen frame)

I have about a 3/4" gap between the top of the screen frame and the ceiling. Ruben recommended at least 1/2 inch gap on the top for ease of hanging the screen.

Found it.
jamis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 959 Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shawnwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. Sorry for not finding it myself

This helps thanks!

shawnwalters is offline  
post #483 of 959 Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Beer update:

The keg of Harp Lager has been installed and tapped. I also nabbed a new porcelain tap handle off eBay for $20 shipped. We popped a can of Guinness last night I poured a couple of perfect Black and Tans for the wife and I.

Liquid gold!

As for the theater... I am still in the planning stages for a HTPC. I am also considering going the cheaper route of a Popcorn Hour.
jamis is offline  
post #484 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Member
 
marcusj50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


Jamis: I'm working on my rack and want to do something similar to yours. I know you attached the rails to the 2x6's you framed in. I have two questions:

1. How did you decide how far back from the front edge of the 2x6's to mount the rails? Did you just pick a spot that looked like it would work or was there more to it?
2. Is that simply a black paint on the 2x6's surrounding the frame rails?
marcusj50 is offline  
post #485 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

1. How did you decide how far back from the front edge of the 2x6's to mount the rails? Did you just pick a spot that looked like it would work or was there more to it?
2. Is that simply a black paint on the 2x6's surrounding the frame rails?

1. I just picked a spot that looked good which ended up being just over 2" back. In retrospect, I wish I had done about 3" for more room between the front of the rack and the glass door due to knobs and devices (PS3) that stick out. What I have now is just good enough that I don't want to dismantle the whole thing.

2. Yep... it's just black paint. The same flat black stuff I used for the ceiling. The trim was done with semi-gloss.
jamis is offline  
post #486 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Hi Jamis, I love your room. I am doing a bar similar to yours and am planning the framing. Did you lay plywood over your bar framing or how did you support the granite in the middle of the bar and still have it look so good?

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #487 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Hi Jamis, I love your room. I am doing a bar similar to yours and am planning the framing. Did you lay plywood over your bar framing or how did you support the granite in the middle of the bar and still have it look so good?

The granite is supported by the wall only (along the entire length and on each side). The granite installers said that the overhang in the middle was short enough that the side walls were enough additional support (it is just under 8' between the two side walls). There are no corbels in the middle or plywood under the granite.

jamis is offline  
post #488 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Wow, I never would have thought you could span 8'. Mine will be a little over 7 feet. Killer deal on a 20x85 inch Blue Pearl remnant. Since I am transporting from the fabricator it makes me feel a bit better that the granite is strong enugh to span your 8'

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #489 of 959 Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Wow, I never would have thought you could span 8'. Mine will be a little over 7 feet. Killer deal on a 20x85 inch Blue Pearl remnant. Since I am transporting from the fabricator it makes me feel a bit better that the granite is strong enugh to span your 8'


Just for reference, I took some measurements:

total length of granite: 7'11.5"
total width of granite: 18"
inside measurement between support walls: 7'
total inside overhang: 12"
jamis is offline  
post #490 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was bored, so I snapped a quick video tour of my theater with my digital camera (Canon SD500). It's not the greatest quality, but between this and the pictures, you can get a good feel for the space and layout.


Click here for the crappy streaming flash version. (lower bandwidth)

Click here for the better quality .avi download (H.261 codec - 24MB)


I'm only using about 4GB per month of my 8TB limit... so why not?
jamis is offline  
post #491 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mn_hokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I was bored, so I snapped a quick video tour of my theater with my digital camera (Canon SD500). It's not the greatest quality, but between this and the pictures, you can get a good feel for the space and layout.


Click here for the crappy streaming flash version. (lower bandwidth)

Click here for the better quality .avi download (H.261 codec - 24MB)


I'm only using about 4GB per month of my 8TB limit... so why not?


Very cool, although I miss the Crib's style commentary.

"In here we have my new theater. These are my bros Jules and Jimmy. Say hi for the camera players. They're just kickin it old school with a game of Madden."
mn_hokie is offline  
post #492 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oman321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Pretty cool, love it when you take the corner and that screen is like pow in your face.
oman321 is offline  
post #493 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Jamis. First, you index your thread, now you add a video . You certainly raised the bar now for future posters. Forget the pics, where's the video!? I definitely got a better feel of the space, in a Blair Witch kind of way. Quick, someone hand me an empty popcorn tub...
queendvd2 is offline  
post #494 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would have taken my time and added some commentary, but the file sizes were getting huge.

I wanted to keep it under 25MB. I'd eat through my web hosting bandwidth limits pretty quick if I posted a 200MB+ file
jamis is offline  
post #495 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took note of "The Incredibles" poster in the rear. This is not yet out on BD though.
queendvd2 is offline  
post #496 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

I took note of "The Incredibles" poster in the rear. This is not yet out on BD though.

That poster went very well with our color scheme.

I think it ties in nicely on the tan-ish accent wall with the red walls of the theater.

I've found the animated moves on regular DVD to still be very good picture quality in the theater. They are just so clean and vivid.

I will definitely re-buy the LoTR trilogy on BD, though.
jamis is offline  
post #497 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post


I will definitely re-buy the LoTR trilogy on BD, though.

Yes, that is my husband's favorite set. In fact, he was testing it out in the theater to see how the image would look. While it was viewable it certainly couldn't compare with the images from Prince Caspian on BD. We eagerly await...
queendvd2 is offline  
post #498 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So with the added perspective of the new video tour... any suggestions on what i should do with the back of the room?

Lounge area with 2-4 club chairs (similar to the one thats already there) and coffee/end tables?

Medium sized cafe table with more stools for poker, board games, more conversational dining, etc?

Anything else (the stripper pole was nixed for insurance reasons)?
jamis is offline  
post #499 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Member
 
selianth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I was bored, so I snapped a quick video tour of my theater with my digital camera (Canon SD500). It's not the greatest quality, but between this and the pictures, you can get a good feel for the space and layout.


Click here for the crappy streaming flash version. (lower bandwidth)

Click here for the better quality .avi download (H.261 codec - 24MB)


I'm only using about 4GB per month of my 8TB limit... so why not?

You're such a dork. I mean, this is one of the dorkier things I've seen you do, and that's saying a lot.


Otherwise known as Mrs. Jamis
selianth is offline  
post #500 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Papajin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hanover Park, IL USA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post

You're such a dork. I mean, this is one of the dorkier things I've seen you do, and that's saying a lot.


Out of curiosity, what are some of the other things?
Papajin is offline  
post #501 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ooooh, this could get interesting.
queendvd2 is offline  
post #502 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajin View Post

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other things?

Well he took a lot of guff for actually INDEXING his thread. Then he usually strings us along for a week at a time guessing which fine brew will find a home in his kegerator. Now this whole VIDEO thing.

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Danger, Danger, Danger, nerd alert, nerd alert, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Oh ok, I have to admit it does give a better perspective on your layout and actually help tremendously in visualization and relational perspective. Kudos to you Nerd Boy!!!! BTW I really like the kitchen area and your color scheme. Very nice.

As for suggestions on the back of the room. I would do either a poker or pub table for those times where you feel like a "guys night" play some cards, tap a new keg, and have the game or a guys movie on. Party time!

Nice work!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #503 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post

You're such a dork. I mean, this is one of the dorkier things I've seen you do, and that's saying a lot.


This coming from the woman how has the name of every Survivor contestant memorized in the order in which they were voted out...

jamis is offline  
post #504 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well he took a lot of guff for actually INDEXING his thread. Then he usually strings us along for a week at a time guessing which fine brew will find a home in his kegerator. Now this whole VIDEO thing.

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Danger, Danger, Danger, nerd alert, nerd alert, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Oh ok, I have to admit it does give a better perspective on your layout and actually help tremendously in visualization and relational perspective. Kudos to you Nerd Boy!!!! BTW I really like the kitchen area and your color scheme. Very nice.

As for suggestions on the back of the room. I would do either a poker or pub table for those times where you feel like a "guys night" play some cards, tap a new keg, and have the game or a guys movie on. Party time!

Nice work!

Regards,

RTROSE

Yeah yeah.. I am kind of nerdy sometimes... I admit it. You all love it and you know it (that goes for you too, honey).


I actually had a couple run-throughs in which I actually showed off more detail; like the keg... the solid engineering of the coupler and tubing... the details of the porcelain tap handle... the fine glassware... a perfect pour.... But since I was editing out the sound, you'd all miss the 'glug glug glug... AHHH!' grand finale. Couldn't have that, so I went with the condensed version.
jamis is offline  
post #505 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
HT_SoulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jamis.. I have a question about your A/V Rack since your under the stairs location is similiar to mine. With the equipment and the opening you have, it looks like a tight fit if your removing or adding equipment and wiring in your A/V location. I'm considering making a access panel of some sort so I can easily access the A/V area.



thanks,

soul..
HT_SoulMan is offline  
post #506 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

Jamis.. I have a question about your A/V Rack since your under the stairs location is similiar to mine. With the equipment and the opening you have, it looks like a tight fit if your removing or adding equipment and wiring in your A/V location. I'm considering making a access panel of some sort so I can easily access the A/V area.



thanks,

soul..

There is plenty of room back there for playing with wires and futzing with equipment. I don't have a recent picture, mostly because I don't want to show off the rats nest.

This might give you a better idea of the space in the closet. It's pretty much wide open back there as you can see (except for some plumbing). I can fit myself in there without much of a problem at all.


jamis is offline  
post #507 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
HT_SoulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

There is plenty of room back there for playing with wires and futzing with equipment. I don't have a recent picture, mostly because I don't want to show off the rats nest.

This might give you a better idea of the space in the closet. It's pretty much wide open back there as you can see (except for some plumbing). I can fit myself in there without much of a problem at all.



That area is very similiar to mine, but my area is already drywalled around the bottom of the stairs. In your previous pics, once you drywalled around the A/V area and installed the trim and glass how do you actually access that area? or fit in it?..

Feel free to send me rat nest pics thru PM. I'm actually working in this are at the moment while I have the time...


Thanks,


Soul..
HT_SoulMan is offline  
post #508 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

That area is very similiar to mine, but my area is already drywalled around the bottom of the stairs. In your previous pics, once you drywalled around the A/V area and installed the trim and glass how do you actually access that area? or fit in it?..

Feel free to send me rat nest pics thru PM. I'm actually working in this are at the moment while I have the time...


Thanks,


Soul..


I'll think about taking a pic...

I access the back of the closet from my utility room. On the picture below, you can see a hallway behind the bathroom. There is an opening through there that allows easy access to the equipment. The picture in my previous post was standing in that hallway looking into the closet.


jamis is offline  
post #509 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
HT_SoulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice. Due to the way the framing was done under my stairs in the basement, I will create a access door from within the HT Room itself. The area is big enough to accomadate the A/C equipment and other items for light storage. Possibly a small A/C-Heating unit if the room has some sort of air comfort issues.
HT_SoulMan is offline  
post #510 of 959 Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
yaj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

1. I just picked a spot that looked good which ended up being just over 2" back. In retrospect, I wish I had done about 3" for more room between the front of the rack and the glass door due to knobs and devices (PS3) that stick out. What I have now is just good enough that I don't want to dismantle the whole thing.

2. Yep... it's just black paint. The same flat black stuff I used for the ceiling. The trim was done with semi-gloss.

Love the space you have made. Colors are great! One question....for your above mentioned rack, what were the final inside framed out dimensions before you attached your rails? I am doing something similar but I have no idea how wide I need to frame out.

Thanks!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
yaj123 is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off