post #481 of 959 Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Ceiling height in front of theater: 7'6" (not counting stage)
Floor to bottom of viewable screen: 30.5" (not counting stage - includes frame)
Ceiling to top of viewable screen (including frame): 4.25" (3.5" screen frame)

I have about a 3/4" gap between the top of the screen frame and the ceiling. Ruben recommended at least 1/2 inch gap on the top for ease of hanging the screen.

Found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 959 Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. Sorry for not finding it myself

This helps thanks!

post #483 of 959 Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beer update:

The keg of Harp Lager has been installed and tapped. I also nabbed a new porcelain tap handle off eBay for $20 shipped. We popped a can of Guinness last night I poured a couple of perfect Black and Tans for the wife and I.

Liquid gold!

As for the theater... I am still in the planning stages for a HTPC. I am also considering going the cheaper route of a Popcorn Hour.
post #484 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jamis: I'm working on my rack and want to do something similar to yours. I know you attached the rails to the 2x6's you framed in. I have two questions:

1. How did you decide how far back from the front edge of the 2x6's to mount the rails? Did you just pick a spot that looked like it would work or was there more to it?
2. Is that simply a black paint on the 2x6's surrounding the frame rails?
post #485 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

1. How did you decide how far back from the front edge of the 2x6's to mount the rails? Did you just pick a spot that looked like it would work or was there more to it?
2. Is that simply a black paint on the 2x6's surrounding the frame rails?

1. I just picked a spot that looked good which ended up being just over 2" back. In retrospect, I wish I had done about 3" for more room between the front of the rack and the glass door due to knobs and devices (PS3) that stick out. What I have now is just good enough that I don't want to dismantle the whole thing.

2. Yep... it's just black paint. The same flat black stuff I used for the ceiling. The trim was done with semi-gloss.
post #486 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Hi Jamis, I love your room. I am doing a bar similar to yours and am planning the framing. Did you lay plywood over your bar framing or how did you support the granite in the middle of the bar and still have it look so good?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #487 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Hi Jamis, I love your room. I am doing a bar similar to yours and am planning the framing. Did you lay plywood over your bar framing or how did you support the granite in the middle of the bar and still have it look so good?

The granite is supported by the wall only (along the entire length and on each side). The granite installers said that the overhang in the middle was short enough that the side walls were enough additional support (it is just under 8' between the two side walls). There are no corbels in the middle or plywood under the granite.

post #488 of 959 Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Wow, I never would have thought you could span 8'. Mine will be a little over 7 feet. Killer deal on a 20x85 inch Blue Pearl remnant. Since I am transporting from the fabricator it makes me feel a bit better that the granite is strong enugh to span your 8'

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #489 of 959 Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Wow, I never would have thought you could span 8'. Mine will be a little over 7 feet. Killer deal on a 20x85 inch Blue Pearl remnant. Since I am transporting from the fabricator it makes me feel a bit better that the granite is strong enugh to span your 8'

Just for reference, I took some measurements:

total length of granite: 7'11.5"
total width of granite: 18"
inside measurement between support walls: 7'
total inside overhang: 12"
post #490 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was bored, so I snapped a quick video tour of my theater with my digital camera (Canon SD500). It's not the greatest quality, but between this and the pictures, you can get a good feel for the space and layout.

Click here for the crappy streaming flash version. (lower bandwidth)

Click here for the better quality .avi download (H.261 codec - 24MB)

I'm only using about 4GB per month of my 8TB limit... so why not?
post #491 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I was bored, so I snapped a quick video tour of my theater with my digital camera (Canon SD500). It's not the greatest quality, but between this and the pictures, you can get a good feel for the space and layout.

Very cool, although I miss the Crib's style commentary.

"In here we have my new theater. These are my bros Jules and Jimmy. Say hi for the camera players. They're just kickin it old school with a game of Madden."
post #492 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Pretty cool, love it when you take the corner and that screen is like pow in your face.
post #493 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey Jamis. First, you index your thread, now you add a video . You certainly raised the bar now for future posters. Forget the pics, where's the video!? I definitely got a better feel of the space, in a Blair Witch kind of way. Quick, someone hand me an empty popcorn tub...
post #494 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would have taken my time and added some commentary, but the file sizes were getting huge.

I wanted to keep it under 25MB. I'd eat through my web hosting bandwidth limits pretty quick if I posted a 200MB+ file
post #495 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I took note of "The Incredibles" poster in the rear. This is not yet out on BD though.
post #496 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

I took note of "The Incredibles" poster in the rear. This is not yet out on BD though.

That poster went very well with our color scheme.

I think it ties in nicely on the tan-ish accent wall with the red walls of the theater.

I've found the animated moves on regular DVD to still be very good picture quality in the theater. They are just so clean and vivid.

I will definitely re-buy the LoTR trilogy on BD, though.
post #497 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will definitely re-buy the LoTR trilogy on BD, though.

Yes, that is my husband's favorite set. In fact, he was testing it out in the theater to see how the image would look. While it was viewable it certainly couldn't compare with the images from Prince Caspian on BD. We eagerly await...
post #498 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So with the added perspective of the new video tour... any suggestions on what i should do with the back of the room?

Lounge area with 2-4 club chairs (similar to the one thats already there) and coffee/end tables?

Medium sized cafe table with more stools for poker, board games, more conversational dining, etc?

Anything else (the stripper pole was nixed for insurance reasons)?
post #499 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:

You're such a dork. I mean, this is one of the dorkier things I've seen you do, and that's saying a lot.

Otherwise known as Mrs. Jamis
post #500 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post

You're such a dork. I mean, this is one of the dorkier things I've seen you do, and that's saying a lot.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other things?
post #501 of 959 Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ooooh, this could get interesting.
post #502 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajin View Post

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other things?

Well he took a lot of guff for actually INDEXING his thread. Then he usually strings us along for a week at a time guessing which fine brew will find a home in his kegerator. Now this whole VIDEO thing.

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Danger, Danger, Danger, nerd alert, nerd alert, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Oh ok, I have to admit it does give a better perspective on your layout and actually help tremendously in visualization and relational perspective. Kudos to you Nerd Boy!!!! BTW I really like the kitchen area and your color scheme. Very nice.

As for suggestions on the back of the room. I would do either a poker or pub table for those times where you feel like a "guys night" play some cards, tap a new keg, and have the game or a guys movie on. Party time!

Nice work!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #503 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post

This coming from the woman how has the name of every Survivor contestant memorized in the order in which they were voted out...

post #504 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well he took a lot of guff for actually INDEXING his thread. Then he usually strings us along for a week at a time guessing which fine brew will find a home in his kegerator. Now this whole VIDEO thing.

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Danger, Danger, Danger, nerd alert, nerd alert, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Oh ok, I have to admit it does give a better perspective on your layout and actually help tremendously in visualization and relational perspective. Kudos to you Nerd Boy!!!! BTW I really like the kitchen area and your color scheme. Very nice.

As for suggestions on the back of the room. I would do either a poker or pub table for those times where you feel like a "guys night" play some cards, tap a new keg, and have the game or a guys movie on. Party time!

Nice work!

Regards,

RTROSE

Yeah yeah.. I am kind of nerdy sometimes... I admit it. You all love it and you know it (that goes for you too, honey).

I actually had a couple run-throughs in which I actually showed off more detail; like the keg... the solid engineering of the coupler and tubing... the details of the porcelain tap handle... the fine glassware... a perfect pour.... But since I was editing out the sound, you'd all miss the 'glug glug glug... AHHH!' grand finale. Couldn't have that, so I went with the condensed version.
post #505 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Jamis.. I have a question about your A/V Rack since your under the stairs location is similiar to mine. With the equipment and the opening you have, it looks like a tight fit if your removing or adding equipment and wiring in your A/V location. I'm considering making a access panel of some sort so I can easily access the A/V area.

thanks,

soul..
post #506 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

Jamis.. I have a question about your A/V Rack since your under the stairs location is similiar to mine. With the equipment and the opening you have, it looks like a tight fit if your removing or adding equipment and wiring in your A/V location. I'm considering making a access panel of some sort so I can easily access the A/V area.

thanks,

soul..

There is plenty of room back there for playing with wires and futzing with equipment. I don't have a recent picture, mostly because I don't want to show off the rats nest.

This might give you a better idea of the space in the closet. It's pretty much wide open back there as you can see (except for some plumbing). I can fit myself in there without much of a problem at all.

post #507 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

There is plenty of room back there for playing with wires and futzing with equipment. I don't have a recent picture, mostly because I don't want to show off the rats nest.

This might give you a better idea of the space in the closet. It's pretty much wide open back there as you can see (except for some plumbing). I can fit myself in there without much of a problem at all.

That area is very similiar to mine, but my area is already drywalled around the bottom of the stairs. In your previous pics, once you drywalled around the A/V area and installed the trim and glass how do you actually access that area? or fit in it?..

Feel free to send me rat nest pics thru PM. I'm actually working in this are at the moment while I have the time...

Thanks,

Soul..
post #508 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

That area is very similiar to mine, but my area is already drywalled around the bottom of the stairs. In your previous pics, once you drywalled around the A/V area and installed the trim and glass how do you actually access that area? or fit in it?..

Feel free to send me rat nest pics thru PM. I'm actually working in this are at the moment while I have the time...

Thanks,

Soul..

I'll think about taking a pic...

I access the back of the closet from my utility room. On the picture below, you can see a hallway behind the bathroom. There is an opening through there that allows easy access to the equipment. The picture in my previous post was standing in that hallway looking into the closet.

post #509 of 959 Old 03-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Nice. Due to the way the framing was done under my stairs in the basement, I will create a access door from within the HT Room itself. The area is big enough to accomadate the A/C equipment and other items for light storage. Possibly a small A/C-Heating unit if the room has some sort of air comfort issues.
post #510 of 959 Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

1. I just picked a spot that looked good which ended up being just over 2" back. In retrospect, I wish I had done about 3" for more room between the front of the rack and the glass door due to knobs and devices (PS3) that stick out. What I have now is just good enough that I don't want to dismantle the whole thing.

2. Yep... it's just black paint. The same flat black stuff I used for the ceiling. The trim was done with semi-gloss.

Love the space you have made. Colors are great! One question....for your above mentioned rack, what were the final inside framed out dimensions before you attached your rails? I am doing something similar but I have no idea how wide I need to frame out.

Thanks!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page