post #511 of 959 Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

Love the space you have made. Colors are great! One question....for your above mentioned rack, what were the final inside framed out dimensions before you attached your rails? I am doing something similar but I have no idea how wide I need to frame out.

Thanks!

19 1/8" I believe the final finished opening was before mounting the rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 959 Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

19 1/8" I believe the final finished opening was before mounting the rails.

Thanks. That helps a ton, I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough room but I figure I should have plenty. Your basement turned out awesome. I hope you are enjoying it.

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
post #513 of 959 Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In regards to your rack......what type of rails did you use? and do you have any more pics of the mounting inside the rack? (Rails,shelves etc) I am trying to figure a relatively cheap DIY rack system for my room. Thanks

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #514 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

In regards to your rack......what type of rails did you use? and do you have any more pics of the mounting inside the rack? (Rails,shelves etc) I am trying to figure a relatively cheap DIY rack system for my room. Thanks

I actually got the rails out of the dumpster at work. We were throwing away an older enclosure so i went down with a screw driver and ratchet set and ripped the rails out. I then cut them down to size before mounting them.

If I had to buy them, I'd just get something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RKRL27/

As for pics, these would be the best shots of how it's all put together:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14016229
post #515 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
jamis,

Just wanted to weigh in with my compliments for your HT and basement. You and your wife did an excellent job. Your room is sharp and I really love the carpet. So much so that, even though the color will be different, we're using the same style - if we ever get to that point.

Great thread too - been through it a number of times. If I had a question, I'd ask how you indexed it? But, I don't need anything slowing my build down even more and I probably need to get closer to the finish line to have something to index.

Actually, I do have one question. How do you like the bass shakers now that you've been using them for a bit? Are they a "set it and forget it" piece or do they need a lot of ongoing attention?

Thanks

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #516 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

jamis,

Just wanted to weigh in with my compliments for your HT and basement. You and your wife did an excellent job. Your room is sharp and I really love the carpet. So much so that, even though the color will be different, we're using the same style - if we ever get to that point.

Great thread too - been through it a number of times. If I had a question, I'd ask how you indexed it? But, I don't need anything slowing my build down even more and I probably need to get closer to the finish line to have something to index.

Actually, I do have one question. How do you like the bass shakers now that you've been using them for a bit? Are they a "set it and forget it" piece or do they need a lot of ongoing attention?

Thanks

Thanks!

If you look at my first post in the thread, you will see the index with links to some of the biggest milestones throughout the build. I actually did it after the build had settled down and I found myself looking for specific posts.

I love the shakers. They are definitely set it and forget it once you have them dialed in for the effect you are after. I would definitely do shakers again and they always get compliments from our guests.
post #517 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So with the added perspective of the new video tour... any suggestions on what i should do with the back of the room?

Lounge area with 2-4 club chairs (similar to the one thats already there) and coffee/end tables?

Medium sized cafe table with more stools for poker, board games, more conversational dining, etc?

Anything else (the stripper pole was nixed for insurance reasons)?

When I watched your video the first time I was hoping that single chair back there wasn't the long term plan. I started to type a response but stopped because I didn't want to critique if it was the plan.

Anyway, comment in no particular order.

Coming down those steps is awesome!!! Posters are excellent. Black frames and black trim are sweet.

Not so fond of the white cat door in your utility door but I understand necessities.

Bar

Cabinets, fridge and countertop are A++. I think you may have swayed my decision on cabinets for mine.

What are you.... cat people??? The scratching post has to go. (IMHO)

It is nice having a trash can clearly visible so guests don't need to ask where it is but looks like a trip hazard... just getting in the way.

As for the back of the room, it depends on what you would use. I think arcade stuff would actually take away from the room (and I notice you didn't mention it). A classy oval poker or hold'em table would be nice if you used it. Otherwise I would consider a high, fairly narrow bar table with high stools around both sides to set drinks/munchies on while socializing. Looks like you have quite a bit of room back there.

Opps, got to go. Baby getting cranky..

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #518 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments!

I may at least paint the cat door eventually.

The cat post is the insurance policy for the carpet... it's presence is a small price to pay to keep their little hooks out of the over-budget carpet. I may experiment by putting it up on the first floor for a couple days and see how it goes. It does annoy me sometimes.... though it does work as a place to put your drink during parties.

The trash can is actually for recycling. The trash is under the sink and we usually put it out when we have people over. It actually doesn't get in the way at all. If we move the scratching post upstairs, I may move the trashcan there.

For the back of the room, I think we are leaning towards a lounge area... maybe a couple more chairs like the one we have, a coffee table and/or maybe some end tables. A pub height table would be good and a lot of people suggest it, though I worry that there isn't enough overhead light to really pull it off (the main reason i installed the Littlites on the bar).
post #519 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Looking Good, Jamis. Looking really good. man, I still have soo much work to do... wow. I like the detail of the rack, and of course the popcorn maker, etc.
post #520 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

We also have cats, but I'm able to cordon off my HT and simply keep the door closed. They now try to come in when the door is cracked and we are in there, I look at them and out they run. The dog, on the other hand, gets a spot on the comfy and cozy carpet. Its soft enough that you can lay/sit on the floor comfortably. Exactly what I wanted for those kid over nighters and over crowded gaming parties.
post #521 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1383 View Post

We also have cats, but I'm able to cordon off my HT and simply keep the door closed. They now try to come in when the door is cracked and we are in there, I look at them and out they run. The dog, on the other hand, gets a spot on the comfy and cozy carpet. Its soft enough that you can lay/sit on the floor comfortably. Exactly what I wanted for those kid over nighters and over crowded gaming parties.

I could have put a door immediately to the right as you come down the stairs, but I didn't want to have to go through two doors to get to the bathroom just to keep the cats out... plus we like having them in there when we are. From what I've experienced, I think they typically like the rest of the house more than the basement when we aren't there so overall, I don't think the cats are a big deal (except for the tan cat's hair on the black carpet).
post #522 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I could have put a door immediately to the right as you come down the stairs, but I didn't want to have to go through two doors to get to the bathroom just to keep the cats out... plus we like having them in there when we are. From what I've experienced, I think they typically like the rest of the house more than the basement when we aren't there so overall, I don't think the cats are a big deal (except for the tan cat's hair on the black carpet).

Right. Our cats like leather, so they would tear apart the new sofa, not to mention they also like to climb the screen.

They spend a good bit of time in the basement in our home because that's where we keep the litter box and their food. Plus, they are really social cats so they like to be where we are.
post #523 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1383 View Post

Right. Our cats like leather, so they would tear apart the new sofa, not to mention they also like to climb the screen.

They spend a good bit of time in the basement in our home because that's where we keep the litter box and their food. Plus, they are really social cats so they like to be where we are.

I've already said that they are out the door if they lay a paw on the SMX screen. Thankfully for their sake, they've been good thus far.

Leather or furniture in general has never been an issue with our cats thankfully. Amazingly, they've left the GoM wrapped panels alone too.
post #524 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

That's good. Ya, I'd kill them if they ruined the SMX... I'm going to take a shot at making my own, and see where I end up. hopefully, it'll work out alright.
post #525 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cat post is the insurance policy for the carpet... it's presence is a small price to pay to keep their little hooks out of the over-budget carpet. I may experiment by putting it up on the first floor for a couple days and see how it goes. It does annoy me sometimes.... though it does work as a place to put your drink during parties.

PLUS

Quote:

A pub height table would be good and a lot of people suggest it

Equals

That there is my next $million.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #526 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's pretty sweet right there...

Maybe I'll build you a prototype and let you know how it goes...
post #527 of 959 Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I've already said that they are out the door if they lay a paw on the SMX screen. Thankfully for their sake, they've been good thus far.

Leather or furniture in general has never been an issue with our cats thankfully. Amazingly, they've left the GoM wrapped panels alone too.

My cats are declawed (I know I'm mean), but I still won't let them in the theater. They usually do nothing but get into trouble in there. I love em to death, but don't mess with the theater

post #528 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I installed the bass shakers tonight in my Berkline 13175's. It went pretty smoothly and while I haven't quite got the volume level just right, I am happy with the effect. I have the amp's crossover set to 50Hz and the volume around 75% with the receiver's subwoofer setting at -3.5db. The 300W amp seems more than capable to power the 6 shakers in parallel/series (6ohm impedance).

Back row, backs removed and the seats tipped onto their fronts.

A closer shot of the shaker mounted on 3/4" plywood which was screwed into the wood seat frame.

Back re-installed with the leather flap pulled up. This is how it looks from behind with the seat in the fully upright position.

Flap down. The plywood/shaker stick out just a bit, but you can barely tell. It's blocked by the riser for the front row and by the bar in the back row anyway, so no big deal.

The 300W BASH amp mounted to some wall studs in the equipment closet.

Do you have any clearance issues with yours when they are fully reclined? I'm trying to figure out where / how I want to mount Shakers on my 13175s and wondering they hit, rub, or prevent you from putting the seat all the way back due to where you put them? This is what I was thinking. Not knowing how tall/high they mesaure out being on top of the wood. Here is what the 13175 fully reclined looks like in that area. Would you mind posting the same views as these of yours so I can see how much room there is afterwards?

And lastly, now that you have had them mounted in that area for awhile would you do it again? Do you like the effect you get from them mounted there? Or would you do a different spot / method next time?
post #529 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have no complaints with where I mounted them and would do it again for sure.

I have no issues reclining. The cloth directly above the shaker has only empty space behind it, so it doesn't rub or put much force at all on the shaker itself. The lower part of the chair back is mostly an empty cavity (if that makes sense)
post #530 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:

And lastly, now that you have had them mounted in that area for awhile would you do it again? Do you like the effect you get from them mounted there?

From a non-builder point of view, for the first day or so I was a little iffy on where he placed the shakers, because when you only have a little bit of shaking, you only feel it in your back, not in the seat of the chair. Once the bass cranks up even a little, it seems like the shaking evens out. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. Obvs I have gotten used to it by now and am happy that he spent the money on them Also, whenever we have people over for the first time and the seats start shaking, everyone loves it.

Otherwise known as Mrs. Jamis
post #531 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Gotta have you talk to the Mrs. Selianth...
post #532 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Gotta have you talk to the Mrs. Selianth...

Could always bring her up for a tour...
post #533 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I would love to, I gotta convince her of this also though. You know how you sent me the PM about area meets, she thinks one day I'll end up missing I guess she really thinks I'm that precious
post #534 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just going to have to ease her into it. Don't start with a huge meet.

Once she sees that everyone is crazy in a geeky HT type of way and not crazy in a psycho serial killer way... she'll warm up to you making weird new internet friends.

I mean... how many serial killers do you know that target HT enthusiasts? "He was forced to watch Glitter and Baby Geniuses 2 over and over again before being force fed popcorn and finally strangled by a strip of 35mm celluloid...."
post #535 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I hear ya. I'll win her over eventually, I keep telling her the folks here have been 1st class. Then she asked if there's women that we talk to here.... Then I had to tell her about Queen
post #536 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I mean... how many serial killers do you know that target HT enthusiasts? "He was forced to watch Glitter and Baby Geniuses 2 over and over again before being force fed popcorn and finally strangled by a strip of 35mm celluloid...."

Hahaha
post #537 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I hear ya. I'll win her over eventually, I keep telling her the folks here have been 1st class. Then she asked if there's women that we talk to here.... Then I had to tell her about Queen

BIG ROFL. Little me, I'm harmless .
post #538 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

BIG ROFL. Little me, I'm harmless .

Careful!!! She is trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Turn your back for a second and she'll take you out with a sharpened piece of hat channel or some RSIC clip throwing stars! She has an acoustically transparent ninja outfit made of GoM...
post #539 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=551
Ha I should've known there was more to this invite than I first thought.
Queen rules, so does her HT room and setup
post #540 of 959 Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Careful!!! She is trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Turn your back for a second and she'll take you out with a sharpened piece of hat channel or some RSIC clip throwing stars! She has an acoustically transparent ninja outfit made of GoM...

That Jamis fellow was always a bit too clever for my purposes. Here kitty kitty, here kitty kitty... Take this dead rat back to your papa as a warning sign not to mess with the Queen.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction