post #631 of 958 Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Looks good Jamis! Have you had a chance to give it a listen? Sound better than before?

I re-ran the Audessy calibration on my receiver and am still tweaking. The biggest thing I noticed is that the bass seems more powerful and the high end is also more pronounced (almost harsh at times). Last time, I turned the sub up a few db after the calibration but this time I might even turn it down a touch more.

I'll probably get an SPL meter this week and see how the graphs look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 958 Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I picked up an SPL meter at radio shack today and started playing around.

I can't get over how much more pronounced the bass is after treating the front wall. Not in a boomy way, just as if the levels were set too high. Come to find out, using the SPL meter I found that the receiver had set the sub about 10db higher than the main speakers. I turned the sub down on the receiver as low as it will go without turning the sub off and it's much better (about 4-5db higher than the mains).

When I get a chance to take the screen down again, I will turn the gain down on the sub, remeasure, and adjust to receiver's sub volume to get it closer to the mains.

I was going to try the Room EQ Wizard software, but come to find out that I need a few extra cables and connectors. They also don't recommend using the mic input and that's all I have on my laptop (no line level inputs).
post #633 of 958 Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM

Liked: 11
Jamis i never saw this in your thread (just read it) but did you put down a sub floor.? If you did what kind. Thanks?

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #634 of 958 Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Jamis i never saw this in your thread (just read it) but did you put down a sub floor.? If you did what kind. Thanks?

No sub floor... just a good quality pad with carpet directly over the concrete. I didn't want to sacrifice ceiling height and all my moisture issues had been resolved.

On a related note, we had a movie night last night with our tallest guest to date (~6'6") and all the clearances were just right... even on the riser.
post #635 of 958 Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Sounds good. Off the top of your head what was your ceiling height after the finished theater. From the sketches at the beginning of the thread it says you started off with 7'8 I believed.

post #636 of 958 Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds good. Off the top of your head what was your ceiling height after the finished theater. From the sketches at the beginning of the thread it says you started off with 7'8 I believed.

the front of the theater is about 7'6 and the rest of the basement is about 7'4 with soffits at 6'8
post #637 of 958 Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome theater! I wanted to integrate a bar a stool seating area but just couldn't get it to fly (very low WAF) and ended up with seperate areas and a double door (hybrid).

I'm just getting back into this forum after a few years off and I really like the scope screens, thanks for all the photos and the video.

Dave
post #638 of 958 Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTheaterO View Post

Awesome theater! I wanted to integrate a bar a stool seating area but just couldn't get it to fly (very low WAF) and ended up with seperate areas and a double door (hybrid).

I'm just getting back into this forum after a few years off and I really like the scope screens, thanks for all the photos and the video.

Dave

I'm surprised at the low WAF in your case. Everyone who has seen my theater in person (male, female, younger, older) for the first time usually comments on how they like the bar seating. It's great for parties and especially if we want to watch TV or a movie while eating dinner. Perfect overflow seating.

We had originally concidered blocking off the back of the theater with double doors and doing more like what you describe... but in the end we wanted a slightly more open space.

One alternate solution I have seen on the forum is a lower bar in the third row (higher riser though) with comfy office chairs. In fact, it's where I stole the idea for the bar task lighting.
post #639 of 958 Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup. I'm not going to need the task lighting for my 'bar' because there are two recessed lights directly over it, and they are on their own zone (I have 4 lighting zones on a lutron grafik eye).

The really cool part is that when those rear lights are on, you actually don't see them at all (unless they are cranked up) when sitting in the money seats because they are behind your periphal vision. woohoo, did I plan that one right.
post #640 of 958 Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1383 View Post

Yup. I'm not going to need the task lighting for my 'bar' because there are two recessed lights directly over it, and they are on their own zone (I have 4 lighting zones on a lutron grafik eye).

The really cool part is that when those rear lights are on, you actually don't see them at all (unless they are cranked up) when sitting in the money seats because they are behind your periphal vision. woohoo, did I plan that one right.

That was one of the few things I had overlooked until it was too late. The joist bay above the bar has plumbing/sewage pipes and there wasn't enough clearance to add electrical fixtures in a good way. This means that there is no lighting directly over the bar.

The back of our theater is on a separate zone from the main part of the theater so we also can keep those lights up and not disturb the primary seating positions while the lights in the main theater area are all the way down. They just don't offer the bar much direct lighting.
post #641 of 958 Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keg update!!!

Damn those Europeans and their metric system. My keg of Harp kicked unexpectedly this weekend. I blame the fact that most imports from across the pond are in 50L kegs which work out to 13.2 gallons. Given that things are always bigger in the U.S., our kegs weigh in a 15.5 gallons. Unfortunately, the prices are still about the same.

Anyhoo... I have a metric 1/2 barrel of Smithwick's arriving this week (and a tap handle).
post #642 of 958 Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM

MMMMM.... beer

post #643 of 958 Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I always LOVE the keg update! I am just surprised it takes you soooo long to go through one of those man. You need to keep the beer fresh so pick up the pace will ya. Or you could invite me over and I could help you polish off the old keg or work on getting a good start on the new one 8-)

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #644 of 958 Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually... I'm surprised we go through them as fast as we do being just my wife and I most of the time. Sure, we have gatherings for movies and RockBand... in general it takes us about 2-2.5 months to finish a 1/2 barrel. Never had an issue with it going bad or tasting off towards the end since we keep the CO2 at a good level (~12-14PSI)

Cleaned the lines and coupler tonight in preparation for Wednesday.
post #645 of 958 Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Keg update!!!

Damn those Europeans and their metric system. My keg of Harp kicked unexpectedly this weekend. I blame the fact that most imports from across the pond are in 50L kegs which work out to 13.2 gallons. Given that things are always bigger in the U.S., our kegs weigh in a 15.5 gallons. Unfortunately, the prices are still about the same.

Anyhoo... I have a metric 1/2 barrel of Smithwick's arriving this week (and a tap handle).

I doubt it's the metric system. It's probably Obama taking his cut. The witch hunt has now moved on to beer.
post #646 of 958 Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually... I'm surprised we go through them as fast as we do being just my wife and I most of the time. Sure, we have gatherings for movies and RockBand... in general it takes us about 2-2.5 months to finish a 1/2 barrel. Never had an issue with it going bad or tasting off towards the end since we keep the CO2 at a good level (~12-14PSI)

Cleaned the lines and coupler tonight in preparation for Wednesday.

So is this your way of politely saying I'm not invited to help with polishing off the keg or helping get a good start on the new one? Very subtle but I get your message.

Bummer.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #647 of 958 Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

So is this your way of politely saying I'm not invited to help with polishing off the keg or helping get a good start on the new one? Very subtle but I get your message.

Bummer.

Regards,

RTROSE

Its my way of saying that it's always fresh and that we must drink too much beer.... that is all.
post #648 of 958 Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its my way of saying that it's always fresh and that we must drink too much beer.... that is all.

You CAN'T drink TOO much beer. 8-) Well sorry for the misinterpretation. Glad to know I still have not worn out my welcome here.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #649 of 958 Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A couple quick updates:

1. Replacement keg (Smithwick's) has been tapped.

2. Received a replacement lamp for the Panasonic AE3000 yesterday and installed it. I packed the original bulb away for use as a backup (850 hours). I was surprised how large the bulb and housing were... it was pretty beefy. The replacement process was quite painless and was about a five minute job.
post #650 of 958 Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You went thru a bulb already wow. It's funny cause when I saw shawnwalters say that he had 475 hours on his JVC I was a little , Cause I had just looked at my hours and saw that I had a similar number and I've had my projector since Aug. of 07

Man you guys put some serious time in with your projectors. I read that shawn often leaves his on in the background while working but wow that was 4 months vs. 20 months..

Enough about that though, did your image come to life again vs. what you were seeing with the older bulb. Do you suppose that you went to a new bulb sooner because your zooming out and losing some or to much of your brightness and would you have stretched it out a little longer if it was at one constant size i.e. had a lens.
post #651 of 958 Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually didn't notice that big of a difference between the old and the new. I was expecting to, but it really wasn't much dimmer apparently.

Since we use the HT for 95% of our TV viewing (and Rock Band marathons), the hours really add up. That was 850 hours since Nov 1 (just about 6 months). At the rate we use the theater, we come close to the 2000 hour lifespan within a year (ie: one bulb a year).

I mainly got the new lamp so I could have a backup lamp on hand should one die prematurely. The recommendation I was following basically says that you should get a replacement lamp soon after the original lamp passes it's warranty (in my case 90 days or 200 hours). Since the new lamp has the same warranty, you should put it in the projector as soon as you get it and keep the original as the backup. You don't want to keep a new lamp on the shelf since it is most likely to die prematurely within the first 200 hours and you want to be able to take advantage of your warranty (which goes kaput after 90 days).
post #652 of 958 Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see good thought on the warranty. Nice to have a replacement on hand in case one fails during the RB marathon.
post #653 of 958 Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

You went thru a bulb already wow. It's funny cause when I saw shawnwalters say that he had 475 hours on his JVC I was a little , Cause I had just looked at my hours and saw that I had a similar number and I've had my projector since Aug. of 07

Man you guys put some serious time in with your projectors. I read that shawn often leaves his on in the background while working but wow that was 4 months vs. 20 months..

I figured it out the other day, I watch about 4 hours a day, so about 120 hours a month. But in the winter time it may be even more since the days get shorter and there isn't much to do.

Quote:

The recommendation I was following basically says that you should get a replacement lamp soon after the original lamp passes it's warranty (in my case 90 days or 200 hours). Since the new lamp has the same warranty, you should put it in the projector as soon as you get it and keep the original as the backup. You don't want to keep a new lamp on the shelf since it is most likely to die prematurely within the first 200 hours and you want to be able to take advantage of your warranty (which goes kaput after 90 days).

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. It would suck to buy a back up bulb, not use it for 7 months and then try to file a warranty claim. Thanks for the info.

post #654 of 958 Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update!

I've finally pulled the trigger on a HTPC. The parts will be arriving this week and I hope to assemble it this weekend. I will post details and pics of the build.

Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H - GeForce 9400 HDMI Motherboard
Intel Pentium 2.7GHz dual core CPU
4GB RAM
500GB hard drive (most of my storage is on a NAS anyway)
DVD +/-R drive (don't plan on playing blu ray from the PC)
Silverstone LC17B case (with rack mount ears)
Microsoft Entertainment Desktop 7000 bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
Windows 7 RC1
post #655 of 958 Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty cool, congrats. I look forward to the build of it.

I gotta say though that I am surprised that you didn't do the Blu Ray drive. Their so affordable now it seems and the software for them seems to be getting better. My hope in the future is to also do HTPC but with enough storage to rip the blu rays on to it and not have to worry about the discs. Since you have the NAS I suppose you may get an external Blu Ray drive and perhaps do it that way. Anyways, looking foward to seeing it at the meet.
post #656 of 958 Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right now, the PS3 does a good job on bluray playback and I don't need the capability in the PC. I will probably get a standalone player later this year as well.

I'm also trying to keep costs down on this build so I didn't go all out in a few other areas as well (CPU, video card, bluray, etc). I figured that I would start off with a good system for multimedia files (music, video), internet streaming (hulu, netflix), and basic gaming. If I needed more juice down the road, I could upgrade those components.

The components were just over $625 with shipping and replacing the DVD with a bluray drive would have added another $75-80 (more than 10% of the total). Since I was splurging a bit on the case and keyboard already, I decided to go easy in a few of the other areas that I would be more likely to upgrade sooner.
post #657 of 958 Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HTPC has been built!

Still waiting on the keyboard/mouse and the rackmount ears before I can put it in the rack. More pics when it is in it's final resting place.

The build went remarkably easy. This was my first home built PC in 6+ years and it's only gotten easier over the years. I even got those stupid HD LED, power LED, power switch and reset switch wires right the first time!

Windows 7 installed beautifully and seems pretty slick so far.

post #658 of 958 Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM

There you go again Jamis showing off your av porn again. PC looks great

post #659 of 958 Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There you go again Jamis showing off your av porn again. PC looks great

Considering I am using the on board video (granted, it's halfway decent), I'd think of this as softcore A/V porn at best.
post #660 of 958 Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
HTPC looks great! I use the same board in my HT's HTPC client too. great board and works perfectly fine in the HT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Pretty cool, congrats. I look forward to the build of it.

I gotta say though that I am surprised that you didn't do the Blu Ray drive. Their so affordable now it seems and the software for them seems to be getting better. My hope in the future is to also do HTPC but with enough storage to rip the blu rays on to it and not have to worry about the discs. Since you have the NAS I suppose you may get an external Blu Ray drive and perhaps do it that way. Anyways, looking foward to seeing it at the meet.

that's also my final goal too. I store all my bluray/dvd rip in my WHS box, so I can watch any of my movies anytime with a click on the remote!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page