post #661 of 959 Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very Nice Jamis, looks very slick.

Landshark1,

That's pretty cool, I would to be doing that now. I would also want to have media extenders through the houses TV locations to be able and access from anywhere. I'll get there eventually

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 959 Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jamis you have me intrigued. What does the HTPC do? Browse the web, mainly for storage of movies, or? And where'd you get it from?

My Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #663 of 959 Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Jamis you have me intrigued. What does the HTPC do? Browse the web, mainly for storage of movies, or? And where'd you get it from?

Some folks us it as a media server so you don't need to pop in DVDS. I plan on using mine some that in a limited fashion as well as to game on. While you can buy pre-built HTPC, most people just build their own. Building a pc from parts in not difficult. It just takes roughly a day between putting all the crap together and installing software and updates.

Michael

post #664 of 959 Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

To start, it's mostly going to be used for streaming video off the internet (Hulu, the major networks, possibly netflix), video and music downloads, possibly pre-movie slides/intro, some gaming and surfing.

The planned future upgrades include:

- ripping DVDs
- TV tuner and use it as a secondary DVR.
- possible home automation tasks
- possible bluray upgrade (doubtful)

||
post #665 of 959 Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Some folks us it as a media server so you don't need to pop in DVDS. I plan on using mine some that in a limited fashion as well as to game on. While you can buy pre-built HTPC, most people just build their own. Building a pc from parts in not difficult. It just takes roughly a day between putting all the crap together and installing software and updates.

It took me about 2.5 hours to assemble everything and about an hour to get Windows 7 installed and basically configured. I still have a bunch of tweaks and software to install (and to get the $*!%#@&* bluetooth keyboard working) but for the most part, it's complete.

||
post #666 of 959 Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

To start, it's mostly going to be used for streaming video off the internet (Hulu, the major networks, possibly netflix), video and music downloads, possibly pre-movie slides/intro, some gaming and surfing.

The planned future upgrades include:

- ripping DVDs
- TV tuner and use it as a secondary DVR.
- possible home automation tasks
- possible bluray upgrade (doubtful)

Thanks guys. The HTPC sounds pretty cool

My Theater -
post #667 of 959 Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Thanks guys. The HTPC sounds pretty cool

yup, HTPC has been a major part of my house's entertainment for the past 4+yrs! can't see how I live w/out it!

especially when you can watch all your DVD & Bluray movies a single click away!

~ Gary

)

post #668 of 959 Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM

Wow, I just ended up reading this site cause I'm in the process of setting up my own htpc. Saw your link in your sig in another forum and ended up here. Read through every page and I'm totally drooling. Ended up reading several of the other build threads floating around here. Someday I hope I can build a room like this. Sadly I'm just a poor college student so it's not going to happen anytime soon. ;(

Looks like I'll be using the same mobo as you for my htpc setup!
post #669 of 959 Old 05-17-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Jamis,

How much Smithwick did you consume while you were putting together your HTPC? Obviously not enough to hamper you assembly abilities. Looks good.

I was considering a pc for the ht as well, not necessarily anything special more for web surfing and such but I have to say I like the form factor of yours horizontal vs. vertical like the old old desk tops. Could you provide some links were you got your equipment?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #670 of 959 Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqen View Post

Wow, I just ended up reading this site cause I'm in the process of setting up my own htpc. Saw your link in your sig in another forum and ended up here. Read through every page and I'm totally drooling. Ended up reading several of the other build threads floating around here. Someday I hope I can build a room like this. Sadly I'm just a poor college student so it's not going to happen anytime soon. ;(

Looks like I'll be using the same mobo as you for my htpc setup!

Thanks for the compliments

I'm pretty happy with the mobo so far... I have yet to really put it through it's paces though.

||
post #671 of 959 Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Jamis,

How much Smithwick did you consume while you were putting together your HTPC? Obviously not enough to hamper you assembly abilities. Looks good.

I was considering a pc for the ht as well, not necessarily anything special more for web surfing and such but I have to say I like the form factor of yours horizontal vs. vertical like the old old desk tops. Could you provide some links were you got your equipment?

Regards,

RTROSE

Amazingly, none. I did the build upstairs and away from the keg so I could use a regular monitor and standard keyboard and mouse to do the initial setup. Much easier that way.

I got all of my parts from newegg.com....

The case, for example (it was $20 off last week):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163055

It's a pretty sweet case. I had to buy the rack mount ears separately though ($12 at amazon.com). Note that the ears will not support the whole case... you need rails or a shelf to hold it up as well. The ears just keep it from sliding around.

I spent a lot of time agonizing over cases... There are very few rack mountable cases that meet all or most of my criteria...

1. Rack mountable.
2. Attractive.
3. Quiet
4. 4U or less
5. USB plugs on the front or a 3.5" drive bay to add an I/O panel
6. Reasonably priced (no more than $130 w/o power supply)

Most of the cases I looked at were either too expensive and/or more intended for data centers due to their design for maximum airflow with no regard for noise or looks.

I also (mostly) got my bluetooth keyboard working finally and the HTPC mounted in it's permanent location on the rack.

I'll snap some pics this afternoon.

||
post #672 of 959 Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First things first.... the opening act:

And a few of the keyboard and mouse... love the look and feel, still working on the bluetooth issues....

And one of the lower 2/3rds of the rack. The two blanks under the htpc are the drawers. Above the htpc (not pictured) is a 5U blank and the PS3.

||
post #673 of 959 Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick reminder for anyone who will be in New England this coming weekend about the AVS HT meet at my place on Saturday (May 30th - 1pm). I am in north central MA, approximately an hour's drive west of downtown Boston. Easy access from rts. 2, 190, and 117.

Details on the meet and how to RSVP here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139122

||
post #674 of 959 Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet lookin HT !!!1
just awesome

ALL SPARK THEATER
post #675 of 959 Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

yup, HTPC has been a major part of my house's entertainment for the past 4+yrs! can't see how I live w/out it!

especially when you can watch all your DVD & Bluray movies a single click away!

How do you watch movies with a single click ?
I must be missing something i feel ashamed to ask but how is this possible.

Just fyi I'm the Director of I.T but apparently i've misssed the boat on HTPC...
post #676 of 959 Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sorry I can't make the meet Jamis, too long of a drive for me.

Do you have a separate server to store stuff on? Or is that phase 2?

For your buttkickers, did you run RG6, or speaker wire through the conduit to the platform? I am installing conduit tonight for the buttkickers, but don't know which type of cable to thread through it yet.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #677 of 959 Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Sorry I can't make the meet Jamis, too long of a drive for me.

Do you have a separate server to store stuff on? Or is that phase 2?

For your buttkickers, did you run RG6, or speaker wire through the conduit to the platform? I am installing conduit tonight for the buttkickers, but don't know which type of cable to thread through it yet.

I have a Thecus N5200 NAS for storage (5 disk RAID5 network attached storage). One of these days I will upgrade it to 1TB disks.

I just ran speaker wire for the bass shakers since they hook up just like speakers (+/- terminals).

||
post #678 of 959 Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Wow, everything looks great.... About how much did it cost you to build the theater room if you don't mind me asking.

Ty,
Charlie

Once a Yellowmann always a Yellowmann...
post #679 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude! A meet! And I didn't get a private PM invite? HOW RUDE! DUDE! Mmmmm and I'm going to miss out on the Smithwicks. Well after the meet you'll have to do a "keg update" I'm sure.

You'll have to do a little video of the meet and then up date the index too!

Have a great meet one and all.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #680 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the meet today Jamis, had a great time. Your space is even better in person, and those bass shakers in your seats really rock. Thanks for being a great host, hope to extend an invite in the near future. Special thanks to the Mrs. for allowing the meet.

post #681 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was definitely a good time!

Unfortunately I completely forgot to take a group pic.

As for the private PM invite, RTROSE.... I had just figured it was standard practice to assume you were invited, thus making the PM unnecessary. Part of the excitement of an AVS meet is the question of if you will be making an appearance! Isn't it?

||
post #682 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was definitely a good time!

Unfortunately I completely forgot to take a group pic.

As for the private PM invite, RTROSE.... I had just figured it was standard practice to assume you were invited, thus making the PM unnecessary. Part of the excitement of an AVS meet is the question of if you will be making an appearance! Isn't it?

I stand corrected. Sorry about that I was just being overly sensitive last night. Rough day.

Glad it went well. I expect a full report when you get a chance.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #683 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Thanks for the meet today Jamis, had a great time. Your space is even better in person, and those bass shakers in your seats really rock. Thanks for being a great host, hope to extend an invite in the near future. Special thanks to the Mrs. for allowing the meet.

So was your wife calling you every ten minutes to make sure you weren't being abducted by some nefarious fellow AVS'er?

post #684 of 959 Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:

First things first.... the opening act:

And a few of the keyboard and mouse... love the look and feel, still working on the bluetooth issues....

And one of the lower 2/3rds of the rack. The two blanks under the htpc are the drawers. Above the htpc (not pictured) is a 5U blank and the PS3.

I have that same keyboard... love it!

Current Status -

(Updated 10/01/2010)
post #685 of 959 Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

So was your wife calling you every ten minutes to make sure you weren't being abducted by some nefarious fellow AVS'er?

Actually, she hung around for a while and even participated.

||
post #686 of 959 Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifashley27 View Post

I have that same keyboard... love it!

I love the feel and look of the keyboard... but I'm still having some reception issues with the bluetooth. I've got some plans for fixing it, but haven't got around to it yet. I think there is too much metal and EMI between the receiver in the closet and the keyboard (especially when sitting in the front row).

||
post #687 of 959 Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Jamis' wife hung out and took some of the nerd herd in. She's a cool lady.

My wife did call once, but it wasn't because she was concerned. She made a day of her own with her sister and friends.

post #688 of 959 Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I love the feel and look of the keyboard... but I'm still having some reception issues with the bluetooth. I've got some plans for fixing it, but haven't got around to it yet. I think there is too much metal and EMI between the receiver in the closet and the keyboard (especially when sitting in the front row).

Be careful with the USB key... I just broke one a few weeks ago and had to break out the solder to fix it. Let me know if you have any htpc issues... I have built 20 of them or so and right now own quite the monster rig that services the whole house.

Current Status -

(Updated 10/01/2010)
post #689 of 959 Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A quick update... all remote control related.

I ordered an IR receiver for my HTPC as well as the new Logitech Harmony PS3 IR adapter today.

I will post my impressions when I receive them.

||
post #690 of 959 Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:

A quick update... all remote control related.

I ordered an IR receiver for my HTPC as well as the new Logitech Harmony PS3 IR adapter today.

I will post my impressions when I receive them.

Car too share which IR receiver ? Im in the market for one as well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page