Jamis' theater thread! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
An Ode to Beer and RTRose.

The keg of Harp is getting low
and RTRose will want to know
what brand brew
that I will I do
to again let the goodness flow.


Any suggetions?
jamis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It is quite the coincidence you should post, I was lurking late last night and the thought had crossed my mind to look you up and inquire on a keg update.

What do you know, voila, here you are! As for suggestions on the keg, as I am a relatively simple man when it comes to beers (I appreciate the finer, more expensive brews, but usually purchase more main steam beers) my suggestions would be rather plain. Not so plain as to suggest Bud, or Budlight, but more along the lines of say Killian's (most frequently bought and enjoyed), New Castle Brown Ale, Blue Moon, and my favorite "main stream" Guinness Draught but rarely enjoyed (but there is that whole nitrogen injection thing) and having had Guinness on tap and Gasp! out of a can there is just no one in their right mind who would drink Guinness out of a can. The bottles with the little cylinder in there is ok, but still not draft.

Sorry for all of the ramble, it is still early for a Sunday and I have not had an entire cup of coffee yet.

I may be back to edit later 8-)

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

It is quite the coincidence you should post, I was lurking late last night and the thought had crossed my mind to look you up and inquire on a keg update.

What do you know, voila, here you are! As for suggestions on the keg, as I am a relatively simple man when it comes to beers (I appreciate the finer, more expensive brews, but usually purchase more main steam beers) my suggestions would be rather plain. Not so plain as to suggest Bud, or Budlight, but more along the lines of say Killian's (most frequently bought and enjoyed), New Castle Brown Ale, Blue Moon, and my favorite "main stream" Guinness Draught but rarely enjoyed (but there is that whole nitrogen injection thing) and having had Guinness on tap and Gasp! out of a can there is just no one in their right mind who would drink Guinness out of a can. The bottles with the little cylinder in there is ok, but still not draft.

Sorry for all of the ramble, it is still early for a Sunday and I have not had an entire cup of coffee yet.

I may be back to edit later 8-)

Regards,

RTROSE

Yeah... we've been leaning towards the easy drinkin' beers lately... especially for the kegs. That is why Harp has been our current fall back brew. It's light but interesting. We usually get Guinness in bottles/cans to go with the Harp for Black&Tan.

Newcastle is a good thought.... definitely a favorite of mine. I've been debating that one for a while, but would need a new coupler. Maybe now is the time.
jamis is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This post is for owl1 who's PM box is currently full -


The bar itself wasn't very expensive... ~12 2x4's, some drywall, trim, rope light, a few electrical boxes and wiring, paint, etc... probably not more than $100 total here for the basic structure. More fancy trim or complicated woodwork would have increased the price.

The expensive part was the granite. The particular stone we chose ran us about $80 sq/ft fully installed. The cost here will vary widely based on material with wood, laminate, tile, or less expensive granite all being cheaper options.

The Littlites we added after the fact ran about $30-40 each.

Just to give you an idea of the simplicity of the bar:

jamis is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
owl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Jamis

Did you cantilever the bar so it wouldn't topple by bolting any of it into the riser? What did you use for that if you did?

Also, I couldn't tell, but how wide is the granite slab that you ended up with?

TIA
owl1 is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

Thanks Jamis

Did you cantilever the bar so it wouldn't topple by bolting any of it into the riser? What did you use for that if you did?

Also, I couldn't tell, but how wide is the granite slab that you ended up with?

TIA

I screwed the bar into the riser with 3.5" wood screws and also used some metal brackets like this to help secure the studs on the bar to the riser. You can also see how the bar is actually a U-shape which helps support the counter top as well as keeping the bar from possibly tipping.

The granite itself is about 17.5" deep overall of which 13.5" of that is supported by the bar structure (on the sides).
jamis is offline  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My new best friend... the Leak Frog:


It's been raining pretty hard here over the last couple of days and when I went down stairs this morning I heard one of my Leak Frog alarms. I have three of them in my utility room... one by my furnace (near the chimney where I have had water issues in the past), one next to my SaniFlo pump, and one in my equipment closet.

While I took out about 10 gallons of water from the chimney clean outs with the shop vac, the water the made it into the basement actually came from the top of the foundation. The sealant I used on the concrete blocks seems to be holding the water back very well.

After long steady rains, splash back and water from the wet outer foundation has occasionally seeped in at the pressure treated sill. I think the siding doesn't hang down quite enough past the sheathing. When it drys out a bit, I will hit the area on the inside with some expanding foam. On the outside, I will see what I can do with some z-flashing and silicone.

This is the top of the foundation in the corner where the chimney, sill, and foundation all meet. You can see the water seeping through a bit. It then trickles down the wall and puddles on the floor near the furnace.


Same corner, but from the outside.



You can see the sheathing is getting pretty wet.

jamis is offline  
Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Those alarms look pretty neat. After my water "incidents" all water problems, even those of other posters, make me shudder. It is amazing how little water it takes to create BIG problems. It is good that you had the alarm, who know what would have happened if you did not catch it when you did.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few updates:

1. Survived the rest of the rain without any more issues.

2. New keg has been tapped. Newcastle Brown Ale this time around. It's tasty!

3. Hard drive died on the HTPC so I installed a new 320GB drive and am installing Mythbuntu 10.04 beta2. I'm going to give Linux another go before a beak down for another OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium. I love that I was able to replace the drive without dismounting the HTPC case from the rack.

4. Replaced the last 500GB disk in my NAS with a new 1TB drive. I should be able to extend the storage array from 1.5TB of usable space to almost 3TB after the rebuild is complete. I've been very happy with the streaming performance over the new wireless-N network.

5. Got an Apple iPad last week and exploring options for home/theater automation with it. Loving this thing so far. Great for surfing and games while on the couch or on the can.
jamis is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

A few updates:

1. Survived the rest of the rain without any more issues.

Excellent news!

2. New keg has been tapped. Newcastle Brown Ale this time around. It's tasty!

Mmmmmmm Beeeeer!!!!!!! I think I even suggested this brew. How bout a tall one for the suggestion??????



3. Hard drive died on the HTPC so I installed a new 320GB drive and am installing Mythbuntu 10.04 beta2. I'm going to give Linux another go before a beak down for another OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium. I love that I was able to replace the drive without dismounting the HTPC case from the rack.

4. Replaced the last 500GB disk in my NAS with a new 1TB drive. I should be able to extend the storage array from 1.5TB of usable space to almost 3TB after the rebuild is complete. I've been very happy with the streaming performance over the new wireless-N network.

Bummer on the hard drive but it sounds as though you were able to take advantage of the situation to make some needed upgrades improving the performance of your system.



5. Got an Apple iPad last week and exploring options for home/theater automation with it. Loving this thing so far. Great for surfing and games while on the couch or on the can.

This is one of the few things Apple has put out that I actually have an interest in getting. My son has an iPod Touch and although I like it, I always commented that I thought it needed a bigger screen. Voila! The iPad arrives! I'm very interested in your thoughts about how well it integrates as a remote in to automated systems. I like you need something smaller than my laptop while I'm sitting in my "Throne Room"

Carry on brother!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
yaj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

A few updates:

1. Survived the rest of the rain without any more issues.

2. New keg has been tapped. Newcastle Brown Ale this time around. It's tasty!

3. Hard drive died on the HTPC so I installed a new 320GB drive and am installing Mythbuntu 10.04 beta2. I'm going to give Linux another go before a beak down for another OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium. I love that I was able to replace the drive without dismounting the HTPC case from the rack.

4. Replaced the last 500GB disk in my NAS with a new 1TB drive. I should be able to extend the storage array from 1.5TB of usable space to almost 3TB after the rebuild is complete. I've been very happy with the streaming performance over the new wireless-N network.

5. Got an Apple iPad last week and exploring options for home/theater automation with it. Loving this thing so far. Great for surfing and games while on the couch or on the can.

I am holding off on the iPad for now. Will probably wait for a couple generations first. But what I love about it is that it will make for a great HT remote. From what I understand is that there are already a few home automation apps already available. Have fun with the new toy and let me know how it works out!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
yaj123 is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

I am holding off on the iPad for now. Will probably wait for a couple generations first. But what I love about it is that it will make for a great HT remote. From what I understand is that there are already a few home automation apps already available. Have fun with the new toy and let me know how it works out!

I fully expect to sell this one on eBay when the 2nd gen version comes out. Why wait?
jamis is offline  
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RPh Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

When it drys out a bit, I will hit the area on the inside with some expanding foam. On the outside, I will see what I can do with some z-flashing and silicone.

I think your solution here should be on the exterior. I wouldn't want to put anything on the inside that would block your view of moisture or prevent it from drying out if/when it does. Any water solutions on an interior surface means that the entire wall structure may be left wet. (Not good IMHO).

Drainage, slope, flashing, sealants all belong (again in my opioion) on the exterior. The only interior solution when still necessary is ventolation. I will amend that say that the solution where they break out 6 inches of your concrete closest to the walls and put in drain tile is "sort of" an internal solution but not really as it is "outside" the concrete box.

I wish I had a digital picture what I did in my last house to keep water away from it. It can get expensive in a hurry but it doesn't have to be. It is amzaing what slope and drain tile can do. What ever it takes to keep the pressure treated sill dry in the first place would be the best solution.

Lastly, what is a chimney clean out and how is 10 gallons of water getting in there???

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
RPh Drew is offline  
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior Member
 
yaj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I fully expect to sell this one on eBay when the 2nd gen version comes out. Why wait?

I thought the same thing and then I did my taxes today....Ouch. I probably won't wait, I'll get the itch and then scratch it.

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
yaj123 is offline  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

I think your solution here should be on the exterior. I wouldn't want to put anything on the inside that would block your view of moisture or prevent it from drying out if/when it does. Any water solutions on an interior surface means that the entire wall structure may be left wet. (Not good IMHO).

Drainage, slope, flashing, sealants all belong (again in my opioion) on the exterior. The only interior solution when still necessary is ventolation. I will amend that say that the solution where they break out 6 inches of your concrete closest to the walls and put in drain tile is "sort of" an internal solution but not really as it is "outside" the concrete box.

I wish I had a digital picture what I did in my last house to keep water away from it. It can get expensive in a hurry but it doesn't have to be. It is amzaing what slope and drain tile can do. What ever it takes to keep the pressure treated sill dry in the first place would be the best solution.

Lastly, what is a chimney clean out and how is 10 gallons of water getting in there???


I've addressed most of the exterior issues (especially with the gutters and sloping and drainage). I think the big issue I've been having is that in really heavy and prolonged rains, the water eventually wicks up the concrete and soaks into the sheathing and eventually through to the basement in that one corner.

I added some flashing and caulking on the exterior with mixed results. Again, it only happens on prolonged heavy rains.

As for the clean outs, they are the little metal access doors into the base of the chimney that allow you to clean out any ashes or debris that collects there. Again, only during heavy rains does water collect down there. It was really bad (worse) before we put a chimney cap on. I think water is now seeping in through a crack or directly through the brick up above and dripping it's way down into the clean out area.

Here is a pic looking into the cleanout and another with me holding the camera inside and pointed upwards.





jamis is offline  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Tisk, Tisk, Tisk......

Since you brought it up we need an update from you too. I had to check that special box for this post to even make it. Did you get the clean out issue resolved, and oh the most important thing a Keg Update.


Regards,

RTROSE

BTW no charge for the thread bump.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Currently on tap - Newcastle Brown Ale (still). The warmer weather has me drinking less beer and more margaritas and martinis.

As for the clean outs, I have a couple ideas but the issue is not fully resolved yet. I need to borrow a ladder to check the flashing on the roof and where the siding butts up against the chimney.

If that yields nothing, I will call a chimney or siding guy.
jamis is offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I've started scoping out a new project. A pergola! This is completely OT, but I figure you guys will have some good ideas.

My deck and patio face west so they get full sun during the hottest parts of the day and into the evening (eventually with the sun setting behind the trees). To that end, I think a pergola might be the best option for the patio to make this space usable on warmer/sunnier days.

Here is the space:



A few options/things I've considered:
  • Sun sail shade - A triangle shaped sail would be the easiest and best looking option without adding a fourth post on the corner of the patio. Unfortunately, this would still leave most of the patio exposed with attach points on either side of the deck and one near the sliders.
  • Cantilevered umbrella - easy and somewhat inexpensive, though not particularly attractive (especially the base or when not in use).
  • Pergola/Pavilion kit (as found at Lowes/HD/costco, etc) - easy and cheap, though a less permanent/finished look. I'd rather this look like part of the house/property than an afterthought.
  • Perloga plan #1 - Free standing... would be the smallest to allow clearance on all sides with the house and deck (and stairs).
  • Pergola plan #2 - Attached at the deck with two posts anchored to the patio perpendicular to the house. I would have to leave a gap between the house the first rafter. Might look awkward. The main rafters would run parallel to the house.
  • Pergola plan #3- Attached at the deck and at a new ledger board on the house. One post anchored to the patio at the far corner. The most work, though I'd only have to do one post. The rafters would most likely run perpendicular to the house in this case.
  • Pergola plan #4 - A more unconventional approach such as a triangular shape or something else I'm not thinking of that could eliminate posts, ledger boards, surgery to the siding, etc.


Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone built a pergola with good results?
jamis is offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RPh Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not a big fan of umbrellas as the wind always grabs them. Afternoon sun can be tricky as you not only need shade from above but at a significant angle. The ready made free standing from your local big box are not made that well. Small bars, relying on material to provide shade... material that will fade, rip, blow away like a sail...

My though would be treated wood of significant dimention (beafy), slanted roof down toward West (color to match deck). Think free standing away from the house. Against the house just adds complexity and shades the house rather than the patio in the late afternoon.

Other option is to just extend the deck and use the space under the deck. (That's what I did with a 32' Long deck.)

A few more pictures from different angles my help. Is your back yard only 4' beyond the deck steps (the fence)?

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
RPh Drew is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I pretty much agree with Drew (scary huh?) on his assessment except for the deck extension. I say this for two main points. Cost, (disregard if this is not a concern) as I think a deck extension would be more expensive than a pergola, and it would definitely take away some of the openness feeling out of the equation. It looks though that your deck height is tall enough to help eliminate this but the underneath of a deck is not pretty unless you finish it off and it does not give you much an option if you do want some sun in at some time ( like a umbrella or a sail shade).

Give us more pics of the area, so we can see just what your working with. Looks as though you have a very nice home in a equally great neighborhood.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smakovits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
32' deck, who the heck stains that for you? I hate decks, just had to do mine this summer, first time ever since it came with the house. It was a PITA and nowhere near 32', thats just insane!
smakovits is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Not a big fan of umbrellas as the wind always grabs them. Afternoon sun can be tricky as you not only need shade from above but at a significant angle. The ready made free standing from your local big box are not made that well. Small bars, relying on material to provide shade... material that will fade, rip, blow away like a sail...

My though would be treated wood of significant dimention (beafy), slanted roof down toward West (color to match deck). Think free standing away from the house. Against the house just adds complexity and shades the house rather than the patio in the late afternoon.

Other option is to just extend the deck and use the space under the deck. (That's what I did with a 32' Long deck.)

A few more pictures from different angles my help. Is your back yard only 4' beyond the deck steps (the fence)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I pretty much agree with Drew (scary huh?) on his assessment except for the deck extension. I say this for two main points. Cost, (disregard if this is not a concern) as I think a deck extension would be more expensive than a pergola, and it would definitely take away some of the openness feeling out of the equation. It looks though that your deck height is tall enough to help eliminate this but the underneath of a deck is not pretty unless you finish it off and it does not give you much an option if you do want some sun in at some time ( like a umbrella or a sail shade).

Give us more pics of the area, so we can see just what your working with. Looks as though you have a very nice home in a equally great neighborhood.

Regards,

RTROSE

The upper lawn ends at the fence, but the property line is further back to the woods. There is a drop off/basin after the fence and then another strip of lawn. Regardless, I would want whatever solution I come up with to stay confined to the patio area.

I was definitely planning on treated lumber. My biggest issues around around attach points and layout. Given that the back of the house faces west, I think having the main rafters parallel to the house would offer more shade/protection.

I was thinking something along these lines, but attached to the deck instead of the house:



I will take a few more pictures tonight.

A few measurements for reference:

The patio is 15'4" x 18"
The deck (from house to stairs) is just under 14'
jamis is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 4,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Jamis,

I am going to be following this OT idea; because I have the same issue with afternoon sun. Mine will be easier to construct however; backyard is flat and we are on a simple slab patio. Have been thinking of something similar to your last photo...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

cuzed2 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RPh Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

32' deck, who the heck stains that for you? I hate decks, just had to do mine this summer, first time ever since it came with the house. It was a PITA and nowhere near 32', thats just insane!

Take another look at my deck. It is a material called Eon decking. No maintenance...

Have you considered free standing with 4 corner posts just a foot or two off the slider? You wouldn't have to mess with cutting into the house and I am not sure how tying into the deck would look. Free standing makes it's own statement and would be easy to construct.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
RPh Drew is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Take another look at my deck. It is a material called Eon decking. No maintenance...

Have you considered free standing with 4 corner posts just a foot or two off the slider? You wouldn't have to mess with cutting into the house and I am not sure how tying into the deck would look. Free standing makes it's own statement and would be easy to construct.

I have thought about free standing... though I was hoping to avoid the extra posts (especially if I have to dig footings instead of driving some steel rods into the patio instead for anchors). Construction would also be a bit easier tying off the deck.

I mirror your uncertainty about how it wood look tied off the deck.. that's my biggest hangup about doing it that way (mostly the gap between the house and the side of the pergola.
jamis is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
jamis is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Member
 
selianth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of course, in those pictures, everything's in the shade already. Problem solved!

Otherwise known as Mrs. Jamis
selianth is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
theWalkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly Suburb
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jamis, I would consider to plan some hardy bamboos, they grow fast and tall,stay green year round, provide shade and privacy, of course, you need to put down 18" ~ 24" deep barrier to control them within the parameter. I always like bamboos, the problem is, I just can't seem to find them in local nurseries.
theWalkinator is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smakovits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Take another look at my deck. It is a material called Eon decking. No maintenance...

sounds expensive
smakovits is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I looked at several of the composite types of decking when I built my deck and they were all much more expensive than the standard type of treated lumber.

The picture you posted of the pergola is what I pictured it would like, I too would wonder how it will all tie in together. I think the free standing is the better looking option, however tying into the deck might be the easiest option for you to build. I personally would build the free standing option even though it will be more work. I think it is mach harder to tie into an existing structure and make it look like it should be there vs. something that stands on its own. The bamboo is an interesting if maybe slightly impractical one, that is unless the bamboo grows faster than you can build the pergola.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off