Jamis' theater thread! - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 958 Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, The theater looks great! Would you be interested in having it featured on the Youtube Channel SpacesTV?
I'm a researcher/producer for a new show on SpacesTV called Digital Architects. The show will consist of profiles of hobbyists/builders/designers/architects who use technology in creative ways to improve spaces. I think your theater would be a great fit. If you're interested feel free to contact me directly at billsilvaredd@gmail.com
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 958 Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
UPDATE!!

With well over 4000 hours of use over 4 years, we are retiring the Panasonic AE3000 projector from active duty. The new Panasonic AE8000 should be arriving this week! The AE3000 may either go up on ebay/craigslist/videogon or be reserved for outdoor use come next summer.

Updates to come. smile.gif

(Sam Adams Octoberfest is currently on tap, though I've mostly just been drinking my stock of Founders Breakfast Stout).
post #933 of 958 Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Congrats, I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the 8000.
post #934 of 958 Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
post #935 of 958 Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yea! He is back. I have been waiting an awful long time for a keg update. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what your impressions are of the new PJ.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #936 of 958 Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Congrats on the new addition. Any early impressions?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #937 of 958 Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's coming today. Hopefully I can set it up tonight and have some feedback by the weekend. smile.gif

Anyone interested in a well loved AE3000 assuming the new addition is a keeper? biggrin.gif
post #938 of 958 Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
post #939 of 958 Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First indication is that this projector.... is AWESOME. Had a scare when the video would keep cutting out... turns out that it was either my cable box or receiver, and things were OK after unplugging and plugging each of them back in.

For now, I am using NORMAL mode with the lamp set for ECO. Besides turning up the sharpness a little, I have not adjusted any of the other color, contrast, or brightness settings.

As for the projector, compared to the AE3000, I can immediately say:

The good (so far):
  • It's much brighter, even in ECO mode. That said, I am comparing this to a bulb with 2300+ hours on it.
  • Excellent picture out of the box. Good color, good clarity...
  • Much deeper blacks. I put a bit of LoTR on and those dark scenes looked fantastic.
  • The Lens memory, oh yes, this is how it should have been from the start
    • It is MUCH faster when switching between saved settings.
    • Auto switch works perfectly (so far). I had it in 2.35 mode on a Bluray, switched to TV and it automatically adjusted to 16:9.
    • You can turn off the 'Processing' box for a much cleaner transition.
    • It will be interesting to see how the Batman movies are handled. That will be the true test. Between the increased speed and the lack of the processing dialog box popping up, I think it will be pretty good.

The neutral (so far):

• The frame interpolation seems more aggressive. The AE3000 has three modes, OFF/MODE1/MODE2. We used OFF for video games, MODE1 for TV and movies, and MODE2 for sports. The AE8000 has OFF/MODE1/MODE2/MODE3 and MODE1 on the AE8000 is 'smoother' than MODE1 on the AE3000. It might take a little getting used to.

The bad (so far):
  • The frame adjust joystick kind of sucks. I much prefer the two dials (vertical and horizontal) on the AE3000 which were much more precise.
  • The lens of the projector is offset to the side instead of centered like the AE3000. I had to do some creative adjustments to my universal mount to get it as close to centered as possible so I wouldn't have to unbolt the top ceiling mounted plate. It's not perfectly centered, but I would say that it's 'good enough'.
  • Upgraditis is probably going to set in soon, requiring me to upgrade the Bluray player and/or receiver to models that support 3D. At the very least, I will need to run a high speed HDMI cable to the projector (thankfully I have my conduit) which I have already purchased.
fgsouza likes this.
post #940 of 958 Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for that summary. Is the 8000 supposed to auto switch ratios during a movie? If so, then the batman testing will be interesting indeed.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #941 of 958 Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Thanks for that summary. Is the 8000 supposed to auto switch ratios during a movie? If so, then the batman testing will be interesting indeed.

It's supposed to change whenever it detects a format change. You basically assign a lens memory to when the projector detects something in 16:9 and another for 2.35:1.
post #942 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did some more adjustments this weekend (mostly to get the alignment better), watched a couple of blurays (Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition) , and some HDTV.

I am definitely impressed with this projector. The picture quality is fantastic out of the box to me.

I continue to be impressed with the lens memory speed and auto switching, though it can get a little annoying while watching TV and having it zooming in and out when movie trailers or matted commercials come on. It usually takes 5-10 seconds for the projector to detect the aspect change, so it's really the delay that gets me. The switch is quite fast, however.

My only wish is that the MODE1 frame interpolation was less aggressive (more similar to the MODE1 on the AE3000). I loved the motion of MODE1 on the old AE3000; just enough smoothing to take some of the jitter out, but absolutely no 'soap opera' effect at all... but it's just a bit too much for me on the AE8000. I'll probably never use MODE2 or 3 on this projector.
post #943 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

[*] Upgraditis is probably going to set in soon, requiring me to upgrade the Bluray player and/or receiver to models that support 3D. At the very least, I will need to run a high speed HDMI cable to the projector (thankfully I have my conduit) which I have already purchased.
[/LIST]

I know the feeling. Ordered in a Panny DMP-BDT310 for 3D because of the dual HDMI outputs. Lets you keep your non-3D compliant AVR for audio (send HDMI audio to receiver and send HDMI video to the 8000 over a second HDMI cable).
post #944 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I continue to be impressed with the lens memory speed and auto switching, though it can get a little annoying while watching TV and having it zooming in and out when movie trailers or matted commercials come on. It usually takes 5-10 seconds for the projector to detect the aspect change, so it's really the delay that gets me. The switch is quite fast, however.

Might have to just keep the auto lens feature disabled as a general rule, and only engage it for movies with mixed aspect ratio content like The Dark Knight.
post #945 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

Might have to just keep the auto lens feature disabled as a general rule, and only engage it for movies with mixed aspect ratio content like The Dark Knight.

Oh, I watched that this weekend with my Panny 4000 and 142" 2.39 screen. The projector kept shifting back and forth! I got so darn mad that I turned it off and left it on 16:9. I'll never watch something like that again!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #946 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I've had that feature turned off on my 4000 for the last 2 years. It's got a cool factor, but reality is that the transition takes longer than most of the scenes (i.e. batman, commercials).

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #947 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

One concern I would have is wearing out the auto lens mechanism...I would rather use it sparingly and have it available when I really need it.
post #948 of 958 Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, wearing it out would be my primary concern at this point.

The switch between aspect ratios itself (not counting the delay for detection) seems like it takes less than 2 seconds total to zoom and focus. It's VERY fast compared to the AE3000.

My in-laws didn't even notice it happen when we put on LoTR this weekend. Whereas with the AE3000, it's almost a feature watching the screen zoom to fill the screen (kind of like when I dim the lights by remote at the beginning and then gently raise them when the credits come on). smile.gif
post #949 of 958 Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Glad to hear they made it faster!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #950 of 958 Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, wearing it out would be my primary concern at this point.
The switch between aspect ratios itself (not counting the delay for detection) seems like it takes less than 2 seconds total to zoom and focus. It's VERY fast compared to the AE3000.
My in-laws didn't even notice it happen when we put on LoTR this weekend. Whereas with the AE3000, it's almost a feature watching the screen zoom to fill the screen (kind of like when I dim the lights by remote at the beginning and then gently raise them when the credits come on). smile.gif

True! I also had a 3000. The other "process" occurred when saving a lens setting. The 8000 just saves the setting and doesn't go through the physical process like the 3000 would do.
post #951 of 958 Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
What is your 1/2 bath dimensions?
post #952 of 958 Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post

What is your 1/2 bath dimensions?

Inside dimensions are approximately 5' x 5'6"
post #953 of 958 Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

Retired the Denon 3808ci receiver and Sony N460 bluray player.

New additions include a Pioneer SC-1522-K 9.2 receiver and Sony S5100 bluray. Costco is currently selling this receiver at an amazing price. I also ran a new HDMI 1.4 cable from the closet to the projector. Score one for the 2.5" PVC conduit!

My transition to 3D support is complete. Not that I have any 3D media yet. My two free pairs of glasses arrived several weeks ago from Panasonic (mail in rebate with the AE8000).

Keg update: Weihenstephaner Original is currently on tap, though I've been stocking up on Founder's Breakfast Stout in bottles as well as other good stouts (mostly imperials).
post #954 of 958 Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ah the prodigal son returns! Glad to see your still around these here parts. Nice score on the receiver. I am not a Cosco member (Sam's here locally) but even I was aware of the stellar deal on the Pioneer.

Good to hear from you, and get a keg update to boot.

Take care, and don't be such a stranger!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #955 of 958 Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ah the prodigal son returns! Glad to see your still around these here parts. Nice score on the receiver. I am not a Cosco member (Sam's here locally) but even I was aware of the stellar deal on the Pioneer.

Good to hear from you, and get a keg update to boot.

Take care, and don't be such a stranger!

Regards,

RTROSE

The deal was good enough that I signed up just to get the receiver.

More than likely, I'll never make it back to a Costco this year.
post #956 of 958 Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Jamis,

Can you give me the specifics on your LED rope lighting, if you like it, and how the Grafik Eye handles it?

I am looking at OrangeTreeTrade's soft white LED rope, and I have a GRX-3106. I will have two 18-foot strands on one zone, and a 10 foot on another zone, and I want to make sure that will be enough load to dim properly with the GE.

Thanks!
-Schlemstar
post #957 of 958 Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post

Jamis,

Can you give me the specifics on your LED rope lighting, if you like it, and how the Grafik Eye handles it?

I am looking at OrangeTreeTrade's soft white LED rope, and I have a GRX-3106. I will have two 18-foot strands on one zone, and a 10 foot on another zone, and I want to make sure that will be enough load to dim properly with the GE.

Thanks!
-Schlemstar

It's actually not LED rope... it's 1/2" incandescent which means the graphik eye handles it perfectly. smile.gif
post #958 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stumbled across a PS4 while out shopping this weekend, so I bought it. Going to have to wait to get the PS4 eye camera since they don't have an extension cable for it and it's a proprietary port (unless I want to do some cable surgery).

Also, finally got a chance to check out the PT8000's 3D functionality and I would say that it's decidedly mixed. With some tweaking (dynamic, normal lamp mode), it was watchable but still very dim compared to normal viewing. I probably won't go out of my way to get 3D vs. 2D media.

My plan for this winter is to rebuild my media rack. I'd like to get some new rails (cage nuts instead of pre-tapped holes) and update my custom shelves.

Keg update: Ommegang Abbey Ale, though I will be ordering something new this week.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page