AVS Forum banner

Jamis' theater thread!

354K views 962 replies 131 participants last post by  RTROSE 
#1 ·

Updated 11/18/2013:

The theater is pretty much done (as of November 2008). Here is an index to the most interesting parts and milestones of the thread. There are other interesting posts and pictures in between each step, but these are the ones that immediately jumped out as worthwhile to mention.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this 5+ month project!

Take the video tour! (24MB)

My theater was featured on Electronic House! (8/11/2009)
My theater was written up on HackedGadgets.com! (3/15/2009)

01/24/2007 - Started this thread. Posted first ideas and designs.
04/12/2008 - Permits pulled and design revised.
04/21/2008 - Lumber has arrived and the project starts for real.
06/16/2008 - Framing, conduit, HVAC, plumbing done.
06/25/2008 - Insulation, rough electrical done.
07/13/2008 - Drywall done.
07/20/2008 - Bathroom tile and paint.
08/11/2008 - Cabinets installed, picking out carpet and flooring.
08/17/2008 - Hardwood installed in Kitchenette.
08/25/2008 - Granite installed
08/31/2008 - Acoustic panels installed and the start of the screen wall. Put tint on sliding glass doors.
09/03/2008 - Kitchenette and bathroom complete. Starting to tackle basement stairs.
09/05/2008 - Carpet installed.
09/06/2008 - Speakers, screen and seats installed.
09/13/2008 - Stairs done.
09/25/2008 - Bass shakers installed.
10/30/2008 - Projector Installed
10/31/2008 - First screen shots.
11/02/2008 - More screen shots.
11/11/2008 - Movie posters framed and hung.
11/15/2008 - A few more finished pics.
12/02/2008 - Installed Littlites on the bar.
01/08/2009 - Popcorn machine and a finished rack!
03/14/2009 - Cleaned up the equipment closet a bit and my 1000th post!
04/05/2009 - Under cabinet lighting in the kitchenette.
04/24/2009 - Treated screen wall with acoustical cotton.
05/13/2009 - Built a new HTPC!

Final Equipment List:

Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector

Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector   (upgraded 12/2012)

129" wide SmX ProLine Screen - 2.37:1

Denon 3808ci Receiver (retired)

Pioneer SC-1522-K Receiver  (upgraded 3/30/2013)

Playstation 3

Playstation 4 (new)

Sony BDP-N460 Bluray player + streaming media (netflix)

Sony BDP-S5100 Bluray player + streaming media (netflix)   (upgraded 4/3/2013)

Monitor Audio RS6 left and right front speakers

Monitor Audio RSLCR center channel speaker

Monitor Audio RSFX surround speakers

Monitor Audio RSFX rear speakers

SVS PC-13 Ultra Subwoofer

6 Aura Pro Bass Shakers

300 watt BASH subwoofer amplifier

Berkline 13175 seating

Nintendo Wii   (retired)

Comcast HD DVR

Verizon FiOS Multi-room DVR

Thecus N5200 NAS (1.5TB RAID5 network attached storage)

HTPC -
  • 2.7GHz dual core Pentium
  • 4GB RAM
  • GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard (geForce 9400 - HDMI)
  • 500GB hard drive
  • DVD +/-RW drive
  • Silverstone LC17B case
  • MS Entertainment Desktop 7000 keyboard/mouse
  • Mythbuntu (Linux)

Harmony One universal remote

X10 Powermid IR repeater

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well... after a year and a half (almost), I've finally decided to start planning the basement theater. Not quite sure on when construction will begin especially since I have yet to finalize my plans. In fact, I'd love to hear feedback on my current sketches.

Some basics (updated 3/16/2009):

• Finished width of the theater is approximately 13'4"
  • The final length of the theater comes out to around 32'
  • 7.1 surround sound
  • Acoustically transparent screen with 2.37:1 aspect ratio
  • Ceiling was drywalled with 2x3's used as furring strips to clear some copper plumbing.
  • Soffits/beam will be approximately 6'9" in height
  • Blue rectangles on the open wall in the pictures are a window and sliding patio doors.
  • Lighting will be primarily 4" can lights. There will be cove lighting (rope) around the soffits and as step lighting for the riser.
  • Seating is comprised of Berkline 13175's (two rows of three) and four bar stools.
  • Equipment rack would go under the stairs
  • Moving the lolly columns is not an option.

Update - 3/16/2009 - the information below is from the original post and contains some out of date information.

I'm not sure if I want a wet bar or not, but if I do it will have to be adjacent to the utility room for best access to the sewer pipe. I am also having a tough time deciding what do to in the rear of the theater (wall? wall with french doors? leave it open and just put heavy curtains over the sliding glass doors? Leave it open but continue the wall along the beam?).

I've also been playing with different sized utility rooms (from the entire corner to right up against the oil tank). My wife would like a good compromise of storage + usable space, though again, any sort of wet bar or plumbing should be adjacent to the utility room.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! See my attachments for the bare basement mock-up as well as a partially finished layout I've been playing with...

Thanks!

Chris (jamis)

See less See more
#77 ·
Another busy week!

My wife did a good deal of painting this week (I helped in the evenings when I got home from work) and she finished up the last of it this weekend.

I also put in all the speaker wall plates and wired up the AV closet. Not pretty in the closet, but I'm not shooting for a 'finished' look in there. I put up the recessed light baffles as well. Hopefully the electrician will be in this week to do the rest.

We bought the remaining light fixtures and a vanity for the bathroom on Friday. I'll get pics of those when they are installed.

I also put down the slate tiles today and will grout tomorrow when I get home from work. I must say.. the diamond blade I bought a few weeks ago to cut the trench in the basement floor for the riser electrical has definitely paid for itself. It cut those slate tiles very nicely.

It's always tough getting an accurate representation of colors with the camera, but I tried anyway. The red is a bit darker and more muted in person. The camera flash makes it look much brighter than it is.

#79 ·
I'm not sure it's really so much of an "interest" in painting as it is, "I'm unemployed at the moment so I better be useful at home." I'm DONE painting for at least a year. Plus, I felt guilty not helping with the framing at all, and at least I can do this
I suspect I would have had less say on the colors if I wasn't going to be helping, too...

(Hi there! I'm Mrs. Jamis. Nice to be here. Although, his comment is, "There goes the neighborhood.")

#81 ·
We don't have any little ones (except cats), so as far as I see it... she is just earning her keep.

With the painting done, the big question becomes... will she cook dinner tomorrow?

I think the lawn needs to be mowed, too...

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/14331978

We don't have any little ones (except cats), so as far as I see it... she is just earning her keep.

With the painting done, the big question becomes... will she cook dinner tomorrow?

I think the lawn needs to be mowed, too...

I wonder how long it'll be before you're SLEEPING in the theater.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajin /forum/post/14331987

I wonder how long it'll be before you're SLEEPING in the theater.

Does Berkline have any theater seating with a fold out bed? I haven't placed my order yet...

#84 ·
The electrician is in today finishing up. Hopefully the HVAC will be finished in the next week as well (startup + registers).

I've probably spent 15 minutes this morning just dimming the can lights up and down through the grafik eye.

I ordered the flooring for the kitchenette (Kahr's engineered wood 3-strip oak).

Cabinets will be in next Monday.

Project list for the next 1-3 weeks:

1. Finish baseboards in the bathroom and secure the vanity in it's final resting place.

2. Crown molding and rope lights on the soffits.

3. Install cabinets (and get granite templated).

4. Install floor in kitchenette/hallway

5. Install pre-hung doors.

6. Start to build screen and screen wall.

7. Research carpet.

#85 ·
Recap and some new pictures:

#86 ·
Most of the cabinets went up this weekend. I will do another panel to the right after the floors are in and the fridge will go in between. The granite gets templated today. The cabinet above the fridge was racked slightly, so I had to compensate by leaving the back of the cabinet out of level. It wasn't bad enough to wait two weeks for a replacement cabinet.

The flooring that will be going in the kitchenette. Kahr's 3-strip engineered click-lock oak flooring.

The current front runner for carpet. I believe that is an 18x18 sample to give you an idea on the size of the pattern.

Last but not least, FedEx showed up with these last week. I found a great deal on Audiogon and now just need to get another set of rsfx surrounds. I hooked them up to my current TV setup and they sound great.

A few last notes and upcoming projects:

- Install the hardwood floor

- Order carpet and have it installed.

- Paint and finish installing trim (after floors)

- Finish cabinets (after floors)

- Install acoustic panels.

- Order Berklines (still going back and forth on 088's or the 45004's).

- Order receiver (leaning towards the Denon 3808)

- Order projector (leaning towards the Panasonic PT-AE2000U for the motorized zoom)

- Order subwoofer (leaning towards an Epik Castle)

- Build wall/mount-points for the screen. I ordered a 129" wide 2.37:1 SMX screen last week.

#87 ·
I really like that carpet.

#88 ·
Me too, gonna have to show it to the Mrs. Very nice work. Didn't realize till now your in Mass. any chance of a future meet when your done. I've yet to go to one
, well I did visit Dave's(dcpilgrim) home before he left but it wasn't an official meet.

#89 ·
A New England meet could indeed be fun.

I think I can hear my wife choking on her lunch right now...

#90 ·
Awww, sweetie, of course you can invite your weird internet friends over. I just need to talk to their parents first and make sure they're okay with it.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/14421538

A New England meet could indeed be fun.

I think I can hear my wife choking on her lunch right now...

He,he
I know the feeling. When I went to Dave's for some things I was getting from him,
they thought they would never see me again

#92 ·
I so wanted that carpet. I haven't looked at it in awhile (and still need to order) but may look again when it comes time to pull the trigger. I really like the larger squares. I think I was afraid how dark it looked so I was looking at the gray version (which was too light).

I have the same speakers (and they are still in the box).

Don't you like the print on the boxes that says "Useless if dropped"? I don't know why but I found it pretty funny.

We are going to end up with fairly similar rooms. (3rd row bar seating, long, fairly narrow rooms, equipment under the stairs). If you get that carpet down before I order I will be very interested to see the pics.

Maybe I missed it scanning your thread but what surface are you putting on the third row seating countertop?

#93 ·
We are doing granite on the bar top (Antique Brown) as well as the kitchenette and pass-through. They templated today.

#95 ·
Sweet. I saw your sample for the kitchette but I wasn't sure your were using the same on the third row bar. Just went back and reread and sure enough it said bar as well.

How deep is your third row bar counter top. I notice you only have supports on the ends. What (if anything) are you putting under the counter top to support the span. I have been planning 16" deep and wonder what other use.

Are you planning a switch for the rope lighting under the bar? I have gone back and forth with that and now plan on putting a switch under the counter, in the left most leg. Running electrical to one of the other legs so I could plug in a lap top.

Looking Great. Keep it going.

#96 ·
The counter overhangs just under 12 inches which makes it about 17.5" overall with a 1" overhang on the other side of the wall.

The granite people said that with that configuration I didn't need any additional support. They recommend supports for overhangs over 12" and with the 10" side walls, I was well supported. Since they are warrantying it, I'll believe it.

I made the rope light under the bar to be on the same zone as the rope step light for the riser (Grafik eye). I couldn't think of any time where I would want them to be dimmed at different levels and if I want to turn off the bar light at some point, I can just unplug it.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/14427214

Since they are warrantying it, I'll believe it.

Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/14427214

I made the rope light under the bar to be on the same zone as the rope step light for the riser (Grafik eye). I couldn't think of any time where I would want them to be dimmed at different levels and if I want to turn off the bar light at some point, I can just unplug it.

When I was wiring not only did I not plan a zone for my riser but did not plan rope lighting for the bar counter at all. Since then I have seen some very cool examples which sent me down that path. I have been going back and forth on the bar lighting and whether to put it on the same zone as the riser... I just ran a second box yesterday to put them on separate zones...

??? Man, I just wish I could make up my mind and get on with it...

Keep those pics coming... Looking great.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngamer007 /forum/post/14443543

I really like the progress you've made, and I think it's great your wife got into the spirit of it too. This build is one of my favorites, and I've already mentally stolen a few of your ideas for when I do mine.

Thanks! Just let me know if you have any questions when you get to implementation.

Some quick updates:

1. Subwoofer purchased (should arrive next week): SVS PC-Ultra 13

2. Granite should be installed next week as well.

3. Carpet measure was done this morning. Not sure on an install time frame yet.

4. I will probably start the hardwood install this weekend.

5. Baseboards will be painted and installed after the flooring is done.

6. Stairs will need to be treaded/stained.

7. Getting closer to ordering the projector and receiver.

8. Ordered the seating. (2 rows of 3 - Berkline 13175s in black leather/vinyl w/ power recline)

9. Finish plumbing once the counters are in.

10. SmX screen should arrive next week... I will finish the screen-wall/mount points once the carpet is in.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/14444204

Thanks! Just let me know if you have any questions when you get to implementation.

Some quick updates:

1. Subwoofer purchased (should arrive next week): SVS PC-Ultra 13

2. Granite should be installed next week as well.

3. Carpet measure was done this morning. Not sure on an install time frame yet.

4. I will probably start the hardwood install this weekend.

5. Baseboards will be painted and installed after the flooring is done.

6. Stairs will need to be treaded/stained.

7. Getting closer to ordering the projector and receiver.

8. Ordered the seating. (2 rows of 3 - Berkline 13175s in black leather/vinyl w/ power recline)

9. Finish plumbing once the counters are in.

10. SmX screen should arrive next week... I will finish the screen-wall/mount points once the carpet is in.

Why are you waiting on the baseboards? Just to ensure they're not knicked during the install?

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie /forum/post/14444337

Why are you waiting on the baseboards? Just to ensure they're not knicked during the install?

I'm doing a floating floor and don't want to use the quarter-round trim against the regular baseboards. The baseboards alone will cover the gap between the wall and floor (expansion space). If the floors are in place, the baseboards will be much easier for me to install.

There are also a couple places were the room transitions between wood and carpet and with the flooring in place, I can be sure that the trim is level/even and looks right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.