AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

A New England meet could indeed be fun.

I think I can hear my wife choking on her lunch right now...

He,he I know the feeling. When I went to Dave's for some things I was getting from him, they thought they would never see me again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 959 Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I so wanted that carpet. I haven't looked at it in awhile (and still need to order) but may look again when it comes time to pull the trigger. I really like the larger squares. I think I was afraid how dark it looked so I was looking at the gray version (which was too light).

I have the same speakers (and they are still in the box).

Don't you like the print on the boxes that says "Useless if dropped"? I don't know why but I found it pretty funny.

We are going to end up with fairly similar rooms. (3rd row bar seating, long, fairly narrow rooms, equipment under the stairs). If you get that carpet down before I order I will be very interested to see the pics.

Maybe I missed it scanning your thread but what surface are you putting on the third row seating countertop?

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #93 of 959 Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We are doing granite on the bar top (Antique Brown) as well as the kitchenette and pass-through. They templated today.

||
post #94 of 959 Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
nice design! i can't wait to see the finished pics!!! keep it up!!!

~ Gary

)

post #95 of 959 Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet. I saw your sample for the kitchette but I wasn't sure your were using the same on the third row bar. Just went back and reread and sure enough it said bar as well.

How deep is your third row bar counter top. I notice you only have supports on the ends. What (if anything) are you putting under the counter top to support the span. I have been planning 16" deep and wonder what other use.

Are you planning a switch for the rope lighting under the bar? I have gone back and forth with that and now plan on putting a switch under the counter, in the left most leg. Running electrical to one of the other legs so I could plug in a lap top.

Looking Great. Keep it going.

post #96 of 959 Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The counter overhangs just under 12 inches which makes it about 17.5" overall with a 1" overhang on the other side of the wall.

The granite people said that with that configuration I didn't need any additional support. They recommend supports for overhangs over 12" and with the 10" side walls, I was well supported. Since they are warrantying it, I'll believe it.

I made the rope light under the bar to be on the same zone as the rope step light for the riser (Grafik eye). I couldn't think of any time where I would want them to be dimmed at different levels and if I want to turn off the bar light at some point, I can just unplug it.

||
post #97 of 959 Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since they are warrantying it, I'll believe it.

Amen to that.

Quote:

I made the rope light under the bar to be on the same zone as the rope step light for the riser (Grafik eye). I couldn't think of any time where I would want them to be dimmed at different levels and if I want to turn off the bar light at some point, I can just unplug it.

When I was wiring not only did I not plan a zone for my riser but did not plan rope lighting for the bar counter at all. Since then I have seen some very cool examples which sent me down that path. I have been going back and forth on the bar lighting and whether to put it on the same zone as the riser... I just ran a second box yesterday to put them on separate zones...

??? Man, I just wish I could make up my mind and get on with it...

Keep those pics coming... Looking great.

post #98 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
I really like the progress you've made, and I think it's great your wife got into the spirit of it too. This build is one of my favorites, and I've already mentally stolen a few of your ideas for when I do mine.
post #99 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngamer007 View Post

I really like the progress you've made, and I think it's great your wife got into the spirit of it too. This build is one of my favorites, and I've already mentally stolen a few of your ideas for when I do mine.

Thanks! Just let me know if you have any questions when you get to implementation.

Some quick updates:

1. Subwoofer purchased (should arrive next week): SVS PC-Ultra 13
2. Granite should be installed next week as well.
3. Carpet measure was done this morning. Not sure on an install time frame yet.
4. I will probably start the hardwood install this weekend.
5. Baseboards will be painted and installed after the flooring is done.
6. Stairs will need to be treaded/stained.
7. Getting closer to ordering the projector and receiver.
8. Ordered the seating. (2 rows of 3 - Berkline 13175s in black leather/vinyl w/ power recline)
9. Finish plumbing once the counters are in.
10. SmX screen should arrive next week... I will finish the screen-wall/mount points once the carpet is in.

||
post #100 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks! Just let me know if you have any questions when you get to implementation.

Some quick updates:

1. Subwoofer purchased (should arrive next week): SVS PC-Ultra 13
2. Granite should be installed next week as well.
3. Carpet measure was done this morning. Not sure on an install time frame yet.
4. I will probably start the hardwood install this weekend.
5. Baseboards will be painted and installed after the flooring is done.
6. Stairs will need to be treaded/stained.
7. Getting closer to ordering the projector and receiver.
8. Ordered the seating. (2 rows of 3 - Berkline 13175s in black leather/vinyl w/ power recline)
9. Finish plumbing once the counters are in.
10. SmX screen should arrive next week... I will finish the screen-wall/mount points once the carpet is in.

Why are you waiting on the baseboards? Just to ensure they're not knicked during the install?

Jason

post #101 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Why are you waiting on the baseboards? Just to ensure they're not knicked during the install?

I'm doing a floating floor and don't want to use the quarter-round trim against the regular baseboards. The baseboards alone will cover the gap between the wall and floor (expansion space). If the floors are in place, the baseboards will be much easier for me to install.

There are also a couple places were the room transitions between wood and carpet and with the flooring in place, I can be sure that the trim is level/even and looks right.

||
post #102 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Jamis I was wondering, where did you get the carpet from? Me and the Mrs. are going to look at carpet tonight and I wanted to show her your selection before we go out. If it's anywhere near the South Shore I might be able to check it out in person. Also carpet folks had no problem with no baseboards yet? Also planning on doing mine afterwards.

post #103 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Jamis I was wondering, where did you get the carpet from? Me and the Mrs. are going to look at carpet tonight and I wanted to show her your selection before we go out. If it's anywhere near the South Shore I might be able to check it out in person. Also carpet folks had no problem with no baseboards yet? Also planning on doing mine afterwards.

We picked out the carpet at Rotman's in Worcester (FAAAANTASTIC!) The brand is Lee's and the style is "Unanimous" so you may be able to find it at other carpet/furniture stores closer to your area, especially if they are a "Carpet One" dealer.

Edit: Ahha, found the Lee's homepage. There's a store locator. http://www.relaxitslees.com/carpet.aspx

Otherwise known as
post #104 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

selianth,

Thanks for chiming in, I love it that the Mrs. participates in the thread. Ya Worcester would be a hike, my wife and I have a niece and some friends who live up that way so we know the trip quite well.

Funny how you did that "(FAAAANTASTIC!)" popped the commercial right into my mind.

I appreciate the info we'll have to look for it tonight and see if we find it or at least something similar.

post #105 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Funny how you did that "(FAAAANTASTIC!)" popped the commercial right into my mind.

Anyone who watches Red Sox games can hardly help but say "Faaantastic!" whenever Rotman's is mentioned. It's like a Pavlovian response.

Otherwise known as
post #106 of 959 Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Man, this thread has been great to read, you two are flying! I think it is great that Mrs. Jamis is so involved in the build and I cannot wait to see the final outcome. Your drywall guys moved pretty quick. I also really like the carpeting as well.

Keep it up!
post #107 of 959 Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got most of the hardwood done this weekend. Just need to do the thresholds, trim, reducers, etc.

Finally finished off the cabinets as well. The crown molding was a PITA as the standard miter/bevel angles weren't working for me. Something must have been out of square. Had to do quite a bit of coping and made use of the wax filler stick that came with the cabinets.

No big mistakes anywhere.. just a few smallish ones I hope no one will notice in person (and that the baseboards/trim will cover up).

||
post #108 of 959 Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Swear count: remarkably low.
"Honey, can you get me a band-aid?" count: just once.

I call that a successful weekend.

Otherwise known as
post #109 of 959 Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Succesful indeed. Looks nice, keep up the good work.

post #110 of 959 Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Christmas comes early tomorrow...

SVS PC-Ultra 13 and the SmX screen both should arrive tomorrow.

While I am still a week or two away from assembling the screen, the sub may get some testing on the current TV setup.

||
post #111 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heh... delivery #1 has arrived. The SVS PC-Ultra 13 cylinder sub woofer.

The look of pure horror on my wife's face as the FedEx guy unloaded the box while she was leaving for work made the purchase price worth it.

Hooked it up to the current TV setup just to give it a quick test and it seems to work (some near by pictures were shaking on the walls during the automatic speaker calibration). I'll have to tune it later.

||
post #112 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The look of pure horror on my wife's face as the FedEx guy unloaded the box while she was leaving for work made the purchase price worth it.

and my wife thinks I'm over the top with this stuff. That is funny though.

post #113 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 AM

The box was, well, HUGER than I was expecting. If I didn't know it was going to be hidden by the screen I probably would have put up a fuss.

Otherwise known as
post #114 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a screamin deal on a JBL 12" sub which was huge in comparison to my old Sony sub which came in a 7.1 setup. My wife had the same reaction when she came in the door (jaw drop, look of horror) as I was setting it up to play some War of the Worlds Can't even imagine what would happen if she walked in on me with something like that SVS

post #115 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't wait for the wife to get home....

||
post #116 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Like I'm not already rolling my eyes enough at the picture?

Otherwise known as
post #117 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Put it in your pocket. She's happy, you're happy... it's win win!

Jason

post #118 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM

What, there's a problem with that cute little sub? I don't get it!
post #119 of 959 Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta love it when you have to go to the second floor to take a picture of the packaging and your still having difficulty getting it all in the shot.

post #120 of 959 Old 08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Jamis, been quite on the build thread since you got the deliveries. I hope selianth didn't beat you silly when she got home then had to stick you in the SMX box, wait she probably stuck you in the SVS box, possibly both

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page