Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 959 Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How are you liking the carpet???

Some months ago I was looking at that style but wasn't ready to commit to black carpet so I was looking at the gray version. There wasn't enough contrast between the squares so I have tenitively been planning another style.

Now that I have made the plunge into theater mode I am better able to accept darker carpet and am thinking of you color again. I am just not sure. That is the type where one square is cut and the other is loops, right?

I just wish I could get past that decision.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 959 Old 09-16-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah... the black squares are cut pile and the greyish squares are loop.The piles are slightly different heights as well for a bit of added contrast.

There was also a similar style from Shaw that was actually about 20% cheaper, but it was all the same pile and height I believe. The downside was that you could lose the pattern (harder to see) if the fibers shifted the right way (like after vacuuming).

All in all, we love the carpet and how it looks. I'd recommend getting a Roomba though, and running it every night. It shows stuff like crazy. Especially if you have pets (we have cats).
post #183 of 959 Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We tapped our first keg tonight.. a local brew: Wachusett Country Ale

Since I don't have much to report now (at least until the projector arrives), I'm kind of grasping at straws here for reasons to post... though beer is always worth mentioning.
post #184 of 959 Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM

Liked: 10
Great looking theater room. I love the bar and stools at the rear of the room behind the theater seating. You have done a great job! How much roughly has this project cost you. I am looking at possibly redoing my basement/theater into a proper dedicated theater room like yours. I am relative handy so the majority of the work (framing, electrical) I can handle. Just wondering though.....what are the dimensions of your bar (height,width, depth) and did you use any particular design for it or did you "use the force"?

Nice work and I can wait to see some projector photos!!!!!!!!
post #185 of 959 Old 09-22-2008, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muztheaussie View Post

Great looking theater room. I love the bar and stools at the rear of the room behind the theater seating. You have done a great job! How much roughly has this project cost you. I am looking at possibly redoing my basement/theater into a proper dedicated theater room like yours. I am relative handy so the majority of the work (framing, electrical) I can handle. Just wondering though.....what are the dimensions of your bar (height,width, depth) and did you use any particular design for it or did you "use the force"?

Nice work and I can wait to see some projector photos!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

I haven't added it all up, but minus equipment, I'd estimate the total cost at around 20-25K. This includes having the drywall, electrical, and plumbing professionally done, the expense of a sewage ejector pump, as well as the upgrades of granite, cherry cabinets, partial hadwood flooring, grafik eye, and going way over budget on the carpet.

If I had gone a little more conservative on some of my choices, I could have probably got it down in the 12-15K range.

As for the riser, I mocked it up in sketchup before i started. The counter overhangs the supports by 1.5" and the front of the bar by 1":

Edit: that total includes a new heat pump for AC and forced air heat and the ductwork as well.
post #186 of 959 Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With enough time and money, you can always find a project to keep you busy.

I have 6 Aura Pro bass shakers coming from PartsExpress tomorrow as well as a 300W BASH subwoofer amp that I will mount in my equipment closet. I should be able to wire them up in parallel/series for a 6ohm total impedance (2 sets of (3 shakers in series) wired in parallel). Total cost is around $400 for the 6 chairs including wires and connectors/adapters... not bad compared to Butt Kickers.

I think I have a good idea on where to mount them to my 13175's. I will post pics with the results tomorrow evening.
post #187 of 959 Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I installed the bass shakers tonight in my Berkline 13175's. It went pretty smoothly and while I haven't quite got the volume level just right, I am happy with the effect. I have the amp's crossover set to 50Hz and the volume around 75% with the receiver's subwoofer setting at -3.5db. The 300W amp seems more than capable to power the 6 shakers in parallel/series (6ohm impedance).

Back row, backs removed and the seats tipped onto their fronts.

A closer shot of the shaker mounted on 3/4" plywood which was screwed into the wood seat frame.

Back re-installed with the leather flap pulled up. This is how it looks from behind with the seat in the fully upright position.

Flap down. The plywood/shaker stick out just a bit, but you can barely tell. It's blocked by the riser for the front row and by the bar in the back row anyway, so no big deal.

The 300W BASH amp mounted to some wall studs in the equipment closet.
post #188 of 959 Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was powering 4 of the shakers with a 100watt amp in my previous theater and still had plenty of breathing room.
post #189 of 959 Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting the shaker install, I have the 13175s as well this is going to make my install really easy. I'll only need 3 though so I dont think Ill get the 300 W amp, but very nice.

Thanks
Jared

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #190 of 959 Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Liked: 17
What material did you use under you riser? I am considering Auralex U-boats to help with the Clark Synthesis transducers. Anybody ever use the u-boats?
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #191 of 959 Old 09-30-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used 30 weight tar paper (roofing felt). I didn't use U boats since the riser is floating out in the middle of the concrete floor (totally decoupled) and didn't plan on putting a sub or shakers on/in the riser.

I built the riser using pressure treated for the joists and 3/4" plywood for the flooring. I also filled the riser with insulation.
post #192 of 959 Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Sup Jamis..

I've been watching your thread from beginning to end. I will start framing my theater room within a year (hopefully). My wife wants a bar in the back of the room, and this is how I found your build.

Good job dude..

Any word on the Projector?
post #193 of 959 Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

Sup Jamis..

I've been watching your thread from beginning to end. I will start framing my theater room within a year (hopefully). My wife wants a bar in the back of the room, and this is how I found your build.

Good job dude..

Any word on the Projector?

Thanks!

I love the overflow and party options our third row bar provides. I have no regrets so far.

Still no official word on the projector. I'm hoping for this month.
post #194 of 959 Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 AM

Awesome stuff Jamis, I hope to make something similar one day...
Have you thought to get a Marantz projector off secondact for about 8bills.. be a good temp that you should be able to sell for not much cheaper.. I'm considering doing that until I get out of this apartment and know what my theatre room will be like ...
Matt
post #195 of 959 Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteRacer View Post

Awesome stuff Jamis, I hope to make something similar one day...
Have you thought to get a Marantz projector off secondact for about 8bills.. be a good temp that you should be able to sell for not much cheaper.. I'm considering doing that until I get out of this apartment and know what my theatre room will be like ...
Matt

I've concidered getting a temporary projector... but I think I can hold out since I can at least use the room with the old TV (and the sound system is all working).

We'll see if I can keep my willpower up.
post #196 of 959 Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You need to mention your latest purchase in this thread

I have ALMOST talked my wife into one for me
post #197 of 959 Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

You need to mention your latest purchase in this thread

I have ALMOST talked my wife into one for me

Ha!

In case people don't know.. the Panasonic PT-AE3000 is finally available for pre-order at an unbelievable price. Well under the expected MSRP. The moment I have been waiting for!

My sales rep at ProjectorPeople predicts the units to arrive by Oct 28th. I have my fingers crossed that it will be in my hands by Halloween (hopefully sooner).

So in about 2 weeks, I hope I can call my theater done.
post #198 of 959 Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Ha!

In case people don't know.. the Panasonic PT-AE3000 is finally available for pre-order at an unbelievable price. Well under the expected MSRP. The moment I have been waiting for!

My sales rep at ProjectorPeople predicts the units to arrive by Oct 28th. I have my fingers crossed that it will be in my hands by Halloween (hopefully sooner).

So in about 2 weeks, I hope I can call my theater done.

I was waiting to hear what it was you purchased. This is awesome timing for you. I will be watching this thread to hear all about it. Keep up with the updates. Good luck.
post #199 of 959 Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That's good news Jamis,

Seems by all accounts that this projector is gonna be one of the great contenders of this generation. Doesn't hurt that it came out at a great price to boot.
post #200 of 959 Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few minor updates...

1. Ordered some movie posters over the weekend. Hopefully they will be in this week and I'll get some nice stadard sized poster frames for 'em.

2. Ordered some film reels with which to make some 'theater art'.

Still hoping for the projector to show up this month.

I'm also concidering getting some more acoustic panels. We'll see though.
post #201 of 959 Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Projector mount and AVIA2 DVD arrive tomorrow. I'll probably install the mount and pull a few more inches of cable through the conduit from the equipment closet.

Got word a couple days ago from ProjectorPeople that the first batch of AE3000's should ship Friday or Monday (I'm #2 on their pre-order list).
post #202 of 959 Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

#2 I'm a little dissapointed there Jamis...

Ha jk, that's awesome news. Are you sure you want to try and put the mount up before you get the projector though. I think I would wait because things might line up slightly different than you might think. Good luck either way.
post #203 of 959 Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

#2 I'm a little dissapointed there Jamis...

Ha jk, that's awesome news. Are you sure you want to try and put the mount up before you get the projector though. I think I would wait because things might line up slightly different than you might think. Good luck either way.

I have two spots I was thinking of mounting the projector. I've recently decided that one of those spots is WAY too close to the HVAC duct. The place I'm going to mount it is dead center, and right around the 17' mark from the screen, so I think it should be OK.
post #204 of 959 Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Chief RPA-U mount is up and the projector should be here on Saturday assuming Projector People's first shipment arrives as expected today.

Used four 2" long 1/4" lag screws through the drywall and into the 2x6's i mounted between the joists for just this purpose.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer...
post #205 of 959 Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's looking like they didn't ship yesterday after all. *sigh*

Oh well. Looking like Wednesday for the projector now. At least I'll save some cash on the shipping. Overnight+Saturday delivery with UPS is NOT cheap.

On another note (ha!)... the wife talked me into getting RockBand2 last night, so at least we've been putting the sound system to use. It's fun how the shakers punch with the drums. This should be awesome on the big screen.

The wait continues...
post #206 of 959 Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Oh well. Looking like Wednesday for the projector now. At least I'll save some cash on the shipping. Overnight+Saturday delivery with UPS is NOT cheap.

On another note (ha!)... the wife talked me into getting RockBand2 last night, so at least we've been putting the sound system to use. It's fun how the shakers punch with the drums. This should be awesome on the big screen.

The wait continues...

Awesome looking build, a few more days and you can fully enjoy!

I like the idea of Rock Band 2 + shakers, that's pretty awesome hahaha.

Now if only I didn't live in MA and could afford a HT on top of Taxachusetts real estate!
post #207 of 959 Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tska View Post

Awesome looking build, a few more days and you can fully enjoy!

I like the idea of Rock Band 2 + shakers, that's pretty awesome hahaha.

Now if only I didn't live in MA and could afford a HT on top of Taxachusetts real estate!

Where there's a will there's a way. If you didn't notice jamis and myself and a couple of others are from Mass. as well. Actually now is probably a great time to buy in MA lots of deals to be had, plus some grant money is available from a lot of agencies especially for 1st time homebuyers.
post #208 of 959 Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wait continues...

Your almost there jamis, the wait will be worth it I'm sure. I bet the wife had to do a lot of arm twisting for you to get RockBand2. The Mrs. and I want to get this for the kids for Christmas(don't get me wrong I want to join in on the fund too). My son was debating between this and the new Guitar Hero which is also drums and mic as well, but he just read the reviews and it doesn't look good so it looks like RB2 will be the choice.
post #209 of 959 Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RockBand2 is quite fun... though we need another guitar. The wife prefers bass, but will play drums if needed. I prefer guitar or bass but hate drums.

It sounds great in the theater and will be really cool on the big screen.
post #210 of 959 Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great build.

I wish my wife would be at least somewhat interested.

She's been giving a lot of eye-rolls when I try to talk to her about it.

I told her once that if she kept doing it, her face might get stuck that way. She hit me.

Congrats!

BTW, where did you purchase your Grafikeye from? I'm wanting to do the same but haven't found where I should get it, yet. Did you also get the 4 gang box from there as well? Any problems fitting everything in?

John
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page