Jamis' theater thread! - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 959 Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few more screen shots (completely untouched)...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 959 Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very nice. The pillar box stripes are nice and inky black looking. I don't even think you need masking (unless those pics are misleading). What do you think about masking those pillar boxes on 16:9 material? Necessary?

Also, it looks like your 2.37:1 screen is big enough so that even 16:9 (or 1.85:1) material looks plenty big. I'm planning to eventually get a scope screen and it looks like I need a bigger one than I previously thought. I was torn between the 16:9 or scope, but it looks like a nice, wide scope screen is a better option.

Enjoy your HT!
post #243 of 959 Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dang that looks great. Which mode were you using? Was it calibrated?
post #244 of 959 Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Very nice. The pillar box stripes are nice and inky black looking. I don't even think you need masking (unless those pics are misleading). What do you think about masking those pillar boxes on 16:9 material? Necessary?

Also, it looks like your 2.37:1 screen is big enough so that even 16:9 (or 1.85:1) material looks plenty big. I'm planning to eventually get a scope screen and it looks like I need a bigger one than I previously thought. I was torn between the 16:9 or scope, but it looks like a nice, wide scope screen is a better option.

Enjoy your HT!

I thought the same thing. 1.78 looks plenty big to me. It really doesn't look like the perceived area lost switching between 2.35 and 1.78 is really that much.

Jason

post #245 of 959 Old 11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Jamis

can you see any screen door effect from your front row? and if not how close do you have to get to it before you do if at all

Scott

Current Photo's

post #246 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those are uncalibrated, out of the box shots (except for sharpness +3). Normal processing, Mode 1.

The pillars are slightly more obvious in person, but mostly because we watch TV with the lights turn up a bit (my wife likes to read while we watch). I haven't felt a strong need to mask it yet. It doesn't bother me at all for now. Under no-lights, the side bars as just barely more obvious than letterboxing.

We are very happy with the screen size. The 16:9 size is equivalent to about 110" diagonal. This was about the biggest 16:9 we would have done anyway due to ceiling height constraints... I then just added the extra width to get a scope screen.

In retrospect, I wish we had used 2x10's for the riser instead of 2x8's. As it is, its JUST tall enough for an adult in the back row to see the bottom of the screen with the front row not reclined.

As for screen door, I don't notice any... even right up close. I can actually see the weave pattern of the screen material more than any SDE. I really have to be within 2-3 feet to see it well. First row is at about 11 feet, second row is about 17'.

||
post #247 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I did a bit more research into this projector last night and it look like panasonic hit a home run. I will be upgrading projectors next year and this ones on my short list. I myself watch a ton of 16:9 material and the bars on the side of my screen really dont bother me and I see no need to use masking

Scott

Current Photo's

post #248 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I did a bit more research into this projector last night and it look like panasonic hit a home run. I will be upgrading projectors next year and this ones on my short list

I'm very happy with it and have no complaints thus far. The colors seem excellent and I haven't noticed any convergence or focus issues.

Lots of people (Epson and JVC fans) in the $3000+ MSRP projector forum seem to be trying to bash it. For me, it came down to the features (power zoom, lens memory), release timing (available now... that wait was painful), price (cheaper than I budgeted!), and overall performance/specs.

||
post #249 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks stunning Jamis,

Very nice, Panny makes a good product for great price IMO. Your sure to get tons of enjoyment from it.

post #250 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I would love a JVC but I just don't think it would be bright enough to fill my 12' screen. the panasonic is double the lumen's of the RS1

Scott

Current Photo's

post #251 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would love a JVC but I just don't think it would be bright enough to fill my 12' screen. the panasonic is double the lumen's of the RS1

Yeah... the sealed light path would quiet my paranoid side down a bit. I just couldn't justify the price.

||
post #252 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

selianth & Jamis

Awesome job guys the Ht turned out great enjoy the new theater.

I need to get my but in gear and post some new pics of whats going on here at the copperfeilds cinema build I have a ton of work ahead of me this winter and my wife says I quote " Your going to work full time on it "

Scott

Current Photo's

post #253 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looks great jamis. Why is it that football looks so much better in HD on the big screen??? Don't get me wrong... so does everything else... but football looks amazing. It is probably all the colors. I watch a lot of hockey but with all the white ice, you just don't get the WOW, you get when watching football. Maybe I will start watching again (though I need a new team because the Lions suk)!!!

I watched a little of that Colts game myself and it looked awesome... and I don't have my screen yet!!! Just sprayed the image on my black wall.

I know a lot of people have movies going to show off their theater but I think the pics you have of the HD game would make most guys drool...

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #254 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm not a JVC defender, but the RS1 is brighter when calibrated for movies in its best movie mode. the Pansonic is brighter when you pump it up into dynamic mode. If you are going to be watching mostly movies I think its important to judge based on the lumens thrown in "movie mode".

The panasonic may still be plenty bright. My Epson, also rated at 1600 lumens (in dynamic mode), is plenty bright, but I'm only using an 80 inch screen.

-- jaydillyo

post #255 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Liked: 10
Looks great Jamis- just got my Panny 30000 as well and I'm equally impressed by it. My HT build setup is very similar to yours with respect to seating and the backrow drybar. I need some stools for my area - how do you like the ones you got for yours? Comfort level ok?

post #256 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Looks great jamis. Why is it that football looks so much better in HD on the big screen??? Don't get me wrong... so does everything else... but football looks amazing. It is probably all the colors. I watch a lot of hockey but with all the white ice, you just don't get the WOW, you get when watching football. Maybe I will start watching again (though I need a new team because the Lions suk)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

I know a lot of people have movies going to show off their theater but I think the pics you have of the HD game would make most guys drool...

I was thinking the same thing. I gotta get better pics of my screen shots and football is definately one of the better things to get shots of. On my thread I posted pics of upconverted DVD's and it was tough getting nice clear images as everytime I paused it tended to blur. Also not using and actual HD source hurts as well.

Jamis,

Definately great that Panasonic went with a sealed light path this time.

post #257 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I gotta get better pics of my screen shots and football is definately one of the better things to get shots of. On my thread I posted pics of upconverted DVD's and it was tough getting nice clear images as everytime I paused it tended to blur. Also not using and actual HD source hurts as well.

Jamis,

Definately great that Panasonic went with a sealed light path this time.

From what I understand... it is still not a sealed light path on most/all LCD projectors. The JVC (LCoS) does have a sealed light path, which to me is a selling point.

||
post #258 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupalev View Post

Looks great Jamis- just got my Panny 30000 as well and I'm equally impressed by it. My HT build setup is very similar to yours with respect to seating and the backrow drybar. I need some stools for my area - how do you like the ones you got for yours? Comfort level ok?

They are good. Well made and heavy duty. We haven't used them much, but we've had not complaints when we have. We could have got ones that were much more comfy, but they didn't swivel. We wanted a swivel to make getting in the seats much easier. We also wanted backs for added comfort.

I ordered from allbarstools.com and they were great for price and customer service. I have a problem with the swivel mechanism on one of the chairs and they were very responsive on resolving the issue and getting a new part out to me.

||
post #259 of 959 Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

From what I understand... it is still not a sealed light path on most/all LCD projectors. The JVC (LCoS) does have a sealed light path, which to me is a selling point.

My fault, I thought I had read otherwise, actually someone asking if it was the case. I did read though that better filters in 3000 should help.

post #260 of 959 Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Jamis,

Looking good. I bet you are extatic now that you have the projector up.

I like the counter you built behind the stage. I have thought to do something similar, but not sure if I have the room. However, if you had a card/poker table and chairs situated behind that counter, would you be able to see the screen or will the backs of the chairs on the riser be in the way?

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #261 of 959 Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Jamis,

Looking good. I bet you are extatic now that you have the projector up.

I like the counter you built behind the stage. I have thought to do something similar, but not sure if I have the room. However, if you had a card/poker table and chairs situated behind that counter, would you be able to see the screen or will the backs of the chairs on the riser be in the way?

If I got a 'pub style' or 'pub height' table and chairs, the screen would still be visible. You might have a tough time with lower chairs or a regular height table.

||
post #262 of 959 Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM

I have a quick question. Sorry if the answer is already posted somewhere in this thread.

Can you tell me the gain of your screen? What setting are you using for the Panasonic (i.e. Cinema 1,2,3, Normal, etc). It appears that the Normal setting gives you a nice bump in lumen output vs the Cinema modes according the the review from Art at Projectors Reviews. Just wanting to know if the Normal mode messes up the colors too much or if you find it still very watchable?

Thanks,
CSMAB
post #263 of 959 Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmab View Post

I have a quick question. Sorry if the answer is already posted somewhere in this thread.

Can you tell me the gain of your screen? What setting are you using for the Panasonic (i.e. Cinema 1,2,3, Normal, etc). It appears that the Normal setting gives you a nice bump in lumen output vs the Cinema modes according the the review from Art at Projectors Reviews. Just wanting to know if the Normal mode messes up the colors too much or if you find it still very watchable?

Thanks,
CSMAB

It's a 1.16 gain SMX screen (acoustically transparent), 17' throw, 100% light controlled room. The 2.37:1 screen is 129" wide.

It's in normal mode... still with out of the box settings. I didn't care for the colors of any of the Cinema modes with their default settings, so I just left it on normal. I have no complaints with the colors/brightness in normal and have had no motivation to change it.

||
post #264 of 959 Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

It's in normal mode... still with out of the box settings. I didn't care for the colors of any of the Cinema modes with their default settings, so I just left it on normal. I have no complaints with the colors/brightness in normal and have had no motivation to change it.

I think normal mode is your best bet considering you have a very large screen. Projectorreviews.com is complaining about the brightness of this projector saying it is not bright enough on sizes greater than 110" diag. (16:9) The ANSI lumen output on normal settings is 792 lumens while on cinema 1 mode the lumens are 385. (Info from projectorcentral.com). Can you put your projector on cinema 1 mode and tell me if it is bright enough?

The enthusiasts are preferring cinema 1 mode, but if your ok with normal mode, i'm sure most of us will be as well. I'm thinking that there is not much degradation of color to be too concerned about in normal mode.
post #265 of 959 Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I think normal mode is your best bet considering you have a very large screen. Projectorreviews.com is complaining about the brightness of this projector saying it is not bright enough on sizes greater than 110" diag. (16:9) The ANSI lumen output on normal settings is 792 lumens while on cinema 1 mode the lumens are 385. (Info from projectorcentral.com). Can you put your projector on cinema 1 mode and tell me if it is bright enough?

The enthusiasts are preferring cinema 1 mode, but if your ok with normal mode, i'm sure most of us will be as well. I'm thinking that there is not much degradation of color to be too concerned about in normal mode.

The brief time I put it on the different cinema modes it did not seem bright enough. It was watchable, but was much dimmer than Normal. The picture also seemed washed out, as if the contrast was too high.

Dynamic was ok brightness wise, but seemed to have heavy on the yellow.

Normal seems perfect.

||
post #266 of 959 Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Jamis..Great job on your theater! I'd like to do something very similar to you. Two rows and a counter in the back. Just a couple of quick questions. I've been searching for a link to your carpet, but keep coming up empty. Do you, by chance, have one that I can check out? I'd love to see if comes in any other colors. And, how soft does it feel?

Speakers...Did you go with 5.1 or 7.1? And, where did you position the surround speakers in regards to the two rows? Closer to the front row, back row, inbetween or behind them both?

Thanks!
post #267 of 959 Old 11-08-2008, 04:00 AM

Jamis - Great theater.

How far is the fron of the bar from the screen? I love the idea, but I only have 22' from back wall to screen and am wondering id sometging like that would fit.

Also, it looks like you somehow insulated your equipment rack. What material did you ues for that? And lastly, hoe come one of your walls during construction is yellow insulateion (no paper), when all the rest have paper-backed insulation?

Thanks!

post #268 of 959 Old 11-08-2008, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srubenst View Post

Jamis..Great job on your theater! I'd like to do something very similar to you. Two rows and a counter in the back. Just a couple of quick questions. I've been searching for a link to your carpet, but keep coming up empty. Do you, by chance, have one that I can check out? I'd love to see if comes in any other colors. And, how soft does it feel?

Speakers...Did you go with 5.1 or 7.1? And, where did you position the surround speakers in regards to the two rows? Closer to the front row, back row, inbetween or behind them both?

Thanks!

Unfortunately it is not on the Lee's website. If you have a Carpet One dealer near by, they will have it. Lee's is an exclusive brand to carpet one. It is 'unanimous' in the 'tuxedo' color. They had a bunch of colors to choose from. Comfortwise, it is nice, though definitely not super soft being a somewhat shorter pile.

There is also a very similar, but not quite as nice quality wise pattern from Shaw.

We went 7.1 with the sides pretty much right in between the two rows of berklines.

||
post #269 of 959 Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post

Jamis - Great theater.

How far is the fron of the bar from the screen? I love the idea, but I only have 22' from back wall to screen and am wondering id sometging like that would fit.

Also, it looks like you somehow insulated your equipment rack. What material did you ues for that? And lastly, hoe come one of your walls during construction is yellow insulateion (no paper), when all the rest have paper-backed insulation?

Thanks!

The front of the counter is about 18' from the front of the screen. I could have probably shifted everything forward a little if i had to, but not much given my screen size and the spacing I wanted for the seats. You could probably do it depending on what to pick for seating, riser dimensions, and distances from the screen.

I insulated all of the interior walls. I simply didn't drywall/finish the inside of the equipment rack/closet and you are just seeing the regular fiberglass insulation.

As for the yellow stuff... that is the insulation the builder used in the ceiling and along the exterior walls they built. I simply left it in place instead of replacing it.

||
post #270 of 959 Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Poster frames came in... 3 out of the 6 frames had issues with the plexi and I'm going to have to contact the manufacturer. Good enough to put the posters in, but definitely bad enough to need the plexi replaced.

They look pretty good overall.

I put five of them in the hallway that connects the kitchenette, bathroom, utility room and stairs. The sixth is in the back of the theater between the rear speakers until I can find a good media shelf to put there.

||
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page