Network wiring question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I tried to wire for internet to my media room, and it is now drywalled. I included a run of Cat-5 from my home run box in another room, to my components in my media storage room. But, I now have four internet-ready components (HD-DVD, PS3, HD-Sat, and a receiver with an internet connection). Anybody have a solution? Can I split the Cat-6 with a router or some other device at the media room?

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-28-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Sure, just get a network switch (not a router), they are cheap, and it will do exactly what you want.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 AM

Actually...if you don't already have a router on your network you may want one. A router will act as a DHCP server to automaticly assign IP addresses to devices. If you don't have a DHCP server, you have to manage/configure the IP information (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers) for each host.
The router goes between all your devices and your internet "modem".
A switch can fan out one of the connections off of the router and allow multiple devices to plug in.
Hope this helps

-Scott-
post #4 of 15 Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a switch is what I want. I have a router already. I'll see what I can find. Thanks

Thomas
post #5 of 15 Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, I have been looking around. Stupid question to follow-up.

Can I use more than one (i.e., daisy chain them)? The reason I ask is here is my situation. I have cable internet access. I will have an RG-6 cable coming into a cable modem. The cable modem will then feed into a home run distribution center via cat-5. (I assume the distribution center is like, or is, a network switch--I have a four port router now, but my builder will put in something that can distribute to at least 9 rooms).

So I will have then cat-5 runs out of the distribution center to every room in the house, including media room. It is in this media room that I now need to split the signal becuaseo f multiple devices there.

Question: can I add another switch here (assuming that it is going onto a line I already split off from the home run spot to distribute through the house)?

Thanks!

Thomas
post #6 of 15 Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen01 View Post

Question: can I add another switch here (assuming that it is going onto a line I already split off from the home run spot to distribute through the house)?

Yes, that is the scenario I thought you were describing in your original post. I have a similar situation is that I only have 1 cat5 run per room that goes back to a 8 port router. In one of my rooms I occasionally need to run more than 1 computer at the same time (extra laptop). I got a $20 4-port network switch for that room . It works fine.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thomas
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

A switch or a hub (hub is dumber but cheaper) to split out the signal in your A/V room. Be sure they are rated for your eventual network speed, probably 100 Mbps (or 100BaseT).

You can daisy chain switches/hubs, but be sure to use the Uplink port on one (and only one) end of a connection between two switches/hubs when using normal (vice reversed) cabling.

As for the cable modem , you do not want to plug this into a passive distribution device (switch/hub) unless the modem is also a router. Some modems will do this (e.g. Motorola Surfboard), but some will not. If there's no router in the path, your computer is wide open to the Internet, and the half-life of an unprotected computer on the internet is about 15 minutes.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM

If you have one(a hub) already, IMHO you should only add one more....so make it an 8port atleast. -should leave you 7 inputs for your devices.

"Dumb" hubs broadcast packets to all hosts on your LAN. -That being said w/two+ hubs you may experience collisions/dropped packets during intensive activities e.g. streaming video from a HTPC while onling gaming in another room etc.

It's likely you will see no negative affect of this........just throwing out the possibility so you didn't stick hubs all over your house :-)
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Every now and then you can find a name brand 5 port switch for around $10. Don't waste money on a hub.

http://dealnews.com/deals/Netgear-FS...es/151633.html

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I will go cable--modem--router--hub to split all over house--switch in media room. Is there any use in going Gigabit if I plan on going wired? That is, buying a new router, cards for my PCs, and Gigabit-capable switches? Is this overkill for a home network? (I.e., does one see a difference going from a wired 100 Mbps to Gigabit, as far as responsivness goes?)

Thomas
post #12 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Typical setups:

setup 1 / Modem --> router/switch --> switch (3 devices)

setup 2 / Modem --> router --> switch --> switch (4 devices)

In my house I have setup 1 - my router and main switch are a single device:
Netgear FVS318 link: http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNa...rs/FVS318.aspx

It is unfortunate that you have 9 runs, there are no nine port routers. If it were me,
I would go with an 8 port router/switch - I doubt you will ever need all 9 lines active at the same time. Please, no hubs - 100mbps switches only. I decided that I did not need gigabit, and I think most people don't need it.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In my set up I have a FiOS Media router that has WiFi + 4 Ethernet ports. I use one port on the router to feed an 8 port hub that supplies Rec Rm, Fam Rm, Bedrooms etc. and then another port on the router to another 8-port hub in the office. I also have a WiFi repeater to boost the Wifi signal from basement to rest of the house.

I may end up with another hub in the Rec rm as I only have 2 ports in their but when my eldest has friends over they all like to connect and play web-based games.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #14 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen01 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I will go cable--modem--router--hub to split all over house--switch in media room. Is there any use in going Gigabit if I plan on going wired? That is, buying a new router, cards for my PCs, and Gigabit-capable switches? Is this overkill for a home network? (I.e., does one see a difference going from a wired 100 Mbps to Gigabit, as far as responsivness goes?)

Is Gigabit overkill right now? Yes. Is it in the near future? Nope- IF. If you have an extensive home network, or if you plan on Wireless N (when the standard is done) in the future, or if etc.... I wouldn't spend the money on it now.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM

One word of caution when daisy chaining switches - keep the number of inline switches to fewer than 3. In other words, this:

Router -- switch -- switch -- device

is ok, but this:

Router -- switch -- switch -- switch -- device

may not be.

If the layout of your rooms / network / gear allows for it, the best way to add multiple switches is (and I hope this looks right):

Router -- switch -- device
| ---- switch -- device

(In other words, if your router has 2 or more ethernet ports, plug a single switch into each port on the router, rather than daisy chaining them.)

And as for Gigabit, it really is something to consider, especially if you do any kind of video streaming on your network.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page