Mounting LCD on brick wall - how? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this probably seems very simple to most of you, but I'm new to this and not very experienced. I searched the archives but couldn't find a clear answer.

I'd like to mount my 40" LCD to an exposed interior brick wall. I'll be buying my mount from monoprice. I have no clue how to do this - Any instructions/help would be appreciated (pls walk me through it like I'm a 4 yr old ) - TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 PM

is the mount a two piece system? meaning do you have a bracket for the t.v. and one for the wall. if so drill the brick with a masonry bit, put in a heavy duty molly, or masonry studs that the bottom/back side expands as you tighten the nut, to mount the "wall" bracket. then, of course, hang the t.v. on the wall mount.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I just purchased the monoprice mount for the LCD I'm getting this week and it includes instructions and hardware for brick/masonary walls. I would assume its true for any mount, but don't quote me on that. This mount is great for the money, if you want to save a few bucks, take a peek. You won't find a better deal anywhere else. Mine came yesterday.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Bud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my  

post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yep Bud, monoprice is exactly where I'll be ordering from. The only thing I couldn't tell was if I needed the "WIDE" model and what the difference was...

Scott, it's the mout Bud referenced. I guess it's a 1 piece?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Stylin,

FYI, I just noticed this under the Knowledge Base section.

"Question: I'm wondering if you can tell me the difference between these two plasma/lcd wall mounts 2852 and 3004:

Answer: The difference between the two mounts is the maximum TV [width] that it can support. 2852 supports up to 65inches whereas 3004 supports up to 63inches; both support up to 165lbs"

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq

The piece mounted on the wall is one piece, there are two brackets you mount to the TV, then hang the TV w/ brackets on the plate on the wall and secure the two together.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #6 of 13 Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Aww, makes sense. Gonna order today.

Now I'm just worried about what type of screws/bits to use. I'll look into the molly and masonry studs as suggested. Is there anything even more heavy duty available?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin View Post

Aww, makes sense. Gonna order today.

Now I'm just worried about what type of screws/bits to use. I'll look into the molly and masonry studs as suggested. Is there anything even more heavy duty available?

If the back of the brick wall is not exposed (has an airspace behind it), you could use toggle bolts:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.shtm

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

This is the wall:
not sure what it has behind it, as next door is another apt.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Stylin

you could use this type

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...edge/index.htm

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...stallation.htm

or this type both hold well

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...edge/index.htm

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...stallation.htm

these can be found at any of the big box stores and Ace hardware

Scott

Current Photo's

post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 AM

Liked: 13
I've always used the big blue Tapcons for fastening flat panel mounts to concrete or brick. They come with a bit as well. Simple. Brick is actually easy to drill into with the masonry bit. I don't use the typical masonry anchors because of the size of the holes you usually have to drill. Flat panels really aren't that heavy.
http://www.buildextapcon.com/
post #11 of 13 Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome guys - thanks this has given me a better idea of what/how to do it. The heaviest lcd is about 55 lbs, and the other is around 35 lbs, so it seems any of the fasteners will work. If the mounts arrive in time I hope to do it this weekend. Will post pics of the completed job. Anyone gonna be in the Brooklyn, NY area soon lol?
post #12 of 13 Old 02-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
I sure hope that the brick is firmly attached to the wall behind. It may not be a traditional brick wall and therefore raises the question of ow much weight can be hung from it.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM

I will second the Tapcon, good stuff. However I agree w/ whale. I would be quite interested to see if that is a "true" brick wall as opposed to a vaneer (i think thats what it is called). If you are friendly w/ your neighbor, I would look go next door to see if its the same (the brick wall) or find a not so obvious spot and drill through on the motar/ pointing and see how far you go back.

Good luck and let us know how you made out
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page