AVS Forum banner

Show me your wood columns/pillars!

128K views 98 replies 56 participants last post by  Nicolas Sole 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to build the columns or pillars on the side walls of my theater. Mine will be purely for looks, as they will not house my surround speakers. I think I would like to do something in a nice looking wood or some sort. I haven't done much carpentry yet, so I'm hoping to find something that looks very nice but isn't that hard to make. Also my theater is rather narrow (13' 7"), so I'm looking to make fairly small ones.

Could you show me pictures if you have wood columns? Also, any descriptions of what materials you used to make them would be very helpful. I have heard of lots of people using MDF for their columns, but I how to you make them look nice? A veneer perhaps?

To get an idea what I'm looking for, here are some columns that I love (hopefully David Rostowsky won't mind me posting the link). These columns would be perfect, but I'm no where near the carpenter that David is, plus I don't have a bisquit joiner and some other tools needed. So I'm looking for other options like these:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8919774

Thanks,

Guy

See less See more
#28 ·

My columns were designed in the "amish mission" style. They are 4" pine on the sides, with 1" pine on the front creating an "H" shape, with 4" pine on the ends. The inside is .75" birch.

The bottom is just covered with base boards. The top is a layer of crown molding, and then with an additional 1" "C" shaped pine cap (because I mis-measured).

All wood was joined with biscuit joins and wood glue, and then two layers of Miniwax "Red Mahogony" oil-based stain, followed by 4 coats of minwax satin polyurethane.

The light box is actually mounted to a 2x4 on the wall behind, so the column just slid over top of it. Detailed pics are in my build thread.

#30 ·

#33 ·

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koach /forum/post/17623771

Mine aren't made of wood, they're made out of drywall, but I'm posting them anyway since I made them to look like wood:

I like what you've done. What are the dimensions of the columns?

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced347 /forum/post/18147348

I've done a few columns in my home. These were for the dining room.....same principle can be used downstairs in a theater.

Dining room before

Building the colums from MDF

Archway, columns and pilasters

Theater columns

Excellent work as usual Forced, however it is time to redo that fireplace. It looks really unfinished after all the other trim work.

Also take care of the crack in the pool

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/18151897

Excellent work as usual Forced, however it is time to redo that fireplace. It looks really unfinished after all the other trim work.

Also take care of the crack in the pool

Thanks and good eye
. My first stone job, not perfect but not oo bad for a few hours work.

BTW, the crack gets fixed in May.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio /forum/post/18430713

Has anyone built their columns to be used as DVD storage and if so any pics?

I will have four columns and was thinking of using them for DVD storage. I was thinking it would help on room space. Less stuff I would walk into.

BigmouthInDC is using a hinged column to hide his rack. Not sure if there is storage in there or not.

I've seen people use hinged bookcases for doorways. I don't see why you couldn't use a column to store DVDs.

#42 ·
Here is a photo of my columns for both the surround speakers and also for the subs. The grills are off so you can see the speakers in them and I don't have the chair rail up on the square column right now.

I also have a bookcase doorway to hide my theater entrance. As those doors offer virtually zero sound reduction, I have a hallway after it before you get to the theater. Here is a photo of it unpainted. The front side is painted white to match the decor of the house, while the back side is stained to match the color scheme of the theater.

#45 ·
My columns are nothing more than wooden frames with fabric panels on them:

Reactions: Ladeback
#47 ·
I made mine with 3/4" Cherry.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/21703186

Prototype of the back lit Shoji screen column for the Black Cat theater.

That looks cool

#50 ·
Man, all of these columns look spectacular. All very diverse in their use of materials, lights, and placement. I am attaching a couple of photos from our basement. The white columns were made from MDF and the columns for the fireplace were made from cherry.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT /forum/post/21705253

Man, all of these columns look spectacular. All very diverse in their use of materials, lights, and placement. I am attaching a couple of photos from our basement. The white columns were made from MDF and the columns for the fireplace were made from cherry.

That is fantastic work, did you do it yourself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.