Show me your wood columns/pillars! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 89 Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello from Norway! Here's my columns. I've made six of them, and each will be equipped with surround speakers. Later, maybe two circular subs (12"), also. My HT is still under construction, but will be finished early spring next year.

95267d1347144588-hjemmekino-tilbygg-bygging-montering-av-trappeneser-img_5157.jpg

95266d1347144564-hjemmekino-tilbygg-bygging-montering-av-trappeneser-img_5158.jpg

95835d1348347518-hjemmekino-tilbygg-veggrammene-ferdige-demping-av-bakdor-bakvegg-img_5285.jpg

Here's how I made them:

My columns

I hope the pictures explain most of it. You can also try with Google translate.smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Your not getting off this easy, we need a build thread pronto!!!

edit: Never mind, i guess ill have to bookmark your thread on other site...

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #63 of 89 Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
hey what colors did you use to paint the home theater room ?
post #64 of 89 Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
post #65 of 89 Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #66 of 89 Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

made from 3/4 mdf, with fabric inserts

columns_zps885a76ed.jpg
Looks great, nearly identical to what I'm doing
post #67 of 89 Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok, looking for column ideas. Two of my favorites so far are:

Old Vic
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1117148/saga-of-the-old-vic/810#post_20497193

&

Bacon Race
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350179/making-the-bacon-race-theater

What does everyone else have?
post #68 of 89 Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post

Ok, looking for column ideas. Two of my favorites so far are:

Old Vic
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1117148/saga-of-the-old-vic/810#post_20497193

&

Bacon Race
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350179/making-the-bacon-race-theater

What does everyone else have?

mine are twist on the cinemar build ..... do what a lot of of us have done borrow a design from your favorite build and put your own personal touch on it... look at some Big's past builds along with Bacon Race he has done some really nice columns ....your two favorites are great places to start both build's have some great ideas incorporated in them ..
post #69 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Does placing a speaker inside the column effect or decrease the sound quality ????

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #70 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
It isn't going to help, worst case it will wreck havoc. Type of speaker and column design are the two critical elements.
post #71 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Most people will try to keep the sides and front open except for a wrap/frame of speaker fabric, to minimize the impact - if you do that, its not really much different than putting a speaker up against a wall.
post #72 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Most people will try to keep the sides and front open except for a wrap/frame of speaker fabric, to minimize the impact - if you do that, its not really much different than putting a speaker up against a wall.

Thanks for the intelligent reply.

So basically hollow or just hiding the speaker but not building it in ? It seems like lots of speaker walls and front screen walls have the speakers built in. Is this some special speaker and not a consumer type speaker ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #73 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

A forward firing speaker mounted flush with the front face of the column does not require open sides, Triad in-wall surrounds and Proscella speakers are a couple of brands that will work in this configuration. Stuff the column well to dampen resonances. I've also worked on designs that had balancing subwoofers (Triad) built into the lower part of the column and it was tricky to silence all the rattles, but we did.
post #74 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What is the best practice for attaching or securing a column to the wall ???

-

post #75 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

First you don't want it to be visible. Screws into blocking at the top and bottom have worked for me. Just cover them with your base and crown molding. You can also screw into blocking along the sides and hide them with acoustical panels, One project had just a plain black fabric box column and we secured it alone the sides with screws that you can only see if you shine a light on the location.
post #76 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You can also screw into blocking along the sides and hide them with acoustical panels.

That was the approach I took - for each column I liquid nailed / screwed two parallel vertical 2x2s to the walls, spaced apart so that my column framing would fit over them - then screwed through the sides of the columns into the blocking, and wall panels cover the screws.
dabsabre likes this.
post #77 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is this some special speaker and not a consumer type speaker ?

There are speakers that are specifically designed for "baffle wall" installation, but not many. I've seen others do so with speakers not designed for baffle wall installation, but no idea how the result compares. I assume the issue would be due to baffle step compensation, but honestly I've never seen a comprehensive "how to" for baffle wall construction - I get the basics, but probably just enough to be able to build something that looks like a proper baffle wall, but doesn't perform like one. I.e. there's more to it than just getting the speakers right.
post #78 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do most of the build around here bother to account for such things? Or do they simply just trade the look of enclosing their existing speaker inside the room/column/screenwall/construction ??

Is it really a factor ? Or am I just being anal about SQ ?

-

post #79 of 89 Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There are techniques that don't compromise SQ for building Columns and Screenwalls. It is a factor. You are right at home with your OCD with this crowd.
post #80 of 89 Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsbedt View Post

Hello from Norway! Here's my columns. I've made six of them, and each will be equipped with surround speakers. Later, maybe two circular subs (12"), also. My HT is still under construction, but will be finished early spring next year.

95267d1347144588-hjemmekino-tilbygg-bygging-montering-av-trappeneser-img_5157.jpg

95266d1347144564-hjemmekino-tilbygg-bygging-montering-av-trappeneser-img_5158.jpg

95835d1348347518-hjemmekino-tilbygg-veggrammene-ferdige-demping-av-bakdor-bakvegg-img_5285.jpg

Here's how I made them:

My columns

I hope the pictures explain most of it. You can also try with Google translate.smile.gif

Awesome! Excellent detail, wish I saw the rest of your build thread on here! The way you built it reminds me of an old balsa-wood model airplane. It's cool looking as-is!
post #81 of 89 Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

There are techniques that don't compromise SQ for building Columns and Screenwalls. It is a factor. You are right at home with your OCD with this crowd.

Thanks for kind words and intelligent replies. I find the majority of your posts extremely helpful. I'm very appreciative. I'm also envious of your theater smile.gif. Soon I hope to begin construction. This summer, can't wait !

For all,

Silly question I might know the answer but- I am going to ask- Is there an advantage to round columns over square columns other than aesthetic reasons or personal taste ?

Seems like round is a bit more challenging to make- but many go that route anyways. It intrigues me if there is perhaps something I don't know about round columns ?

-

post #82 of 89 Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I'm trying to match my columns in the theater to the ones I have upstairs. Anyone know what type of design these are?

In pretty sure it's just mdf, I suppose I could make my own and use a router to make same effect.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #83 of 89 Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Looks custom, grab your router, you may need to build a jig.
post #84 of 89 Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM

What fabric did you cover your wall and columns with??
post #85 of 89 Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 177

Ripped seven columns in two days............was a challenge to have no seams with 10 ft ceilings/9ft soffits...........staining and lacquering with 6 coats took another two days. Front three columns are 6 inches in depth..... the back row are 12 inches in depth.

The rears were a challenge due to housing HVAC vents, speakers........and subs. Triad speakers are the way to go it you're installing speakers in columns.

I should have taken pictures on how I built the columns in the back row.............
post #86 of 89 Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Ripped seven columns in two days............was a challenge to have no seams with 10 ft ceilings/9ft soffits...........staining and lacquering with 6 coats took another two days. Front three columns are 6 inches in depth..... the back row are 12 inches in depth.

The rears were a challenge due to housing HVAC vents, speakers........and subs. Triad speakers are the way to go it you're installing speakers in columns.

I should have taken pictures on how I built the columns in the back row.............
how did you build your speaker panels? How did you make them removable?
post #87 of 89 Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

how did you build your speaker panels? How did you make them removable?

6 sheets of 3/4" X4' x 8' Knotty Alder Plywood cut to dimensions............ each sheet was about $134 US.

The top and bottom of each column is floating on rectangular blocking made from kiln dried Douglas fir........there is a neoprene membrane on the base/top of each column base ( 2 X 4 blocking/spacer) ie. a total of 4 layers of neoprene. Before setting in actual column, lubed the neoprene so the columns would slide/set in.

Braced the sections above/below where speakers set in......used this as nailer (screw) into channel..........also used bracing as nailer for column insert top and bottom. Speaker blocking were screwed into OSB while the top and bottom spacer inserts were screwed into channel. The columns actually float on layers of neoprene between two 2 X 4 rectangular blocks/spacers.

Used 5-1/2" X 5/4 ($4 linear ft) Knotty Alder to hide and trim out blocks/spacers on top and bottom of column (this was done to have NO seams in plywood and to add needed height).............used silicone with mitered corners along with top and bottom............pin naled

Ripped 6/4 Knotty Alder in an L shape to hide corners...........these were used to cover ripped edges of Knotty Alder plywood.

Back perimeter of plywood of all columns including all blocking have a layer of neoprene to eliminate vibration. Each column has 4-2' X 4' nailors for screwing into and sit between top and bottom 2 X 4 rectangular blocks. The face of the blocks can easily be removed to have access.........and the Triad speakers can easily be removed to have access to the other blocks.

I wont go into how the 2nd row columns were built for HVAC...........that in itself was a chore but works like a charm. Would be very difficult to explain in words.........heck, I'm a math and physics guy! I need to learn from "Big" and include drawings!! biggrin.gif

All 6" columns are stuffed with R-21.........two layers of R-13 for 2nd row columns.

The construction is solid............dampened ie. no vibrations.................easy access to wiring/speakers..............and isn't moving or going anywhere!
post #88 of 89 Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

After 3 years, and after finishing the rest of the basement with a lobby area just last year, I decided to do something about my columns. Never cared for the original design and I'm currently reworking em.

About 70% done with the first column. still need to finish the top with crown molding under the soffit, and any inset trim design. Then 4 more to go.
post #89 of 89 Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdogg69 View Post

After 3 years, and after finishing the rest of the basement with a lobby area just last year, I decided to do something about my columns. Never cared for the original design and I'm currently reworking em.

About 70% done with the first column. still need to finish the top with crown molding under the soffit, and any inset trim design. Then 4 more to go.

I really like your newer version!

Will be doing the same with decorative tirim once I find out what I need to do taming room modes for bass. Did not feel comfortable cutting holes in columns for leveling subs until I have room measurements.

Asthetics are important yet so too are acoustics.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page