Show me your wood columns/pillars! - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #91 of 96 Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Member
 
JohnstownFlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central NY
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Regarding columns, is there strong reasoning behind not framing it out with 2x2s and 2x4 and covering with Sheetrock? I can see the advantages of using MDF, especially in terms of mass, but I'm just not familiar enough with using it. Thanks!
Brian Fineberg likes this.
JohnstownFlood is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 96 Old Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Should columns be build before or after drywall? Note: my room is not isolated soundproofed
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #93 of 96 Old Today, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
KanosWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Should columns be build before or after drywall? Note: my room is not isolated soundproofed
If its not sound proofed you could build it before. If it is, the recommendation is after.
KanosWRX is online now  
post #94 of 96 Old Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Regarding columns, is there strong reasoning behind not framing it out with 2x2s and 2x4 and covering with Sheetrock? I can see the advantages of using MDF, especially in terms of mass, but I'm just not familiar enough with using it. Thanks!
Why use Sheetrock? Frame it, stuff with insulation and use fabric would be an alternative. Access to speakers, hiding wire etc would allow for simple, easy access by using fabric to cover columns.

Why not look for 4 X 8 sheets of veneered hardwood plywood? If you are patient, can find extreme values depending on wood products market...........besides, wood looks so much better than MDF and is much easier to work with. Working with MDF is brutal!

Yes, you could cover with Sheetrock, and it's been done..............
doublewing11 is offline  
post #95 of 96 Unread Today, 02:02 PM
Member
 
JohnstownFlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central NY
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Why use Sheetrock? Frame it, stuff with insulation and use fabric would be an alternative. Access to speakers, hiding wire etc would allow for simple, easy access by using fabric to cover columns.

Why not look for 4 X 8 sheets of veneered hardwood plywood? If you are patient, can find extreme values depending on wood products market...........besides, wood looks so much better than MDF and is much easier to work with. Working with MDF is brutal!

Yes, you could cover with Sheetrock, and it's been done..............
Thank you for the reply. No fabric because I'm looking to copy the Rawlinsway theater, and with a 2-year old running around I need them to be sturdy!

I think I'm finally catching the hint that MDF is just not worth it for something like this. I just need to get off of my butt and head to the wood shop to start mocking this up.
JohnstownFlood is online now  
post #96 of 96 Unread Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Thank you for the reply. No fabric because I'm looking to copy the Rawlinsway theater, and with a 2-year old running around I need them to be sturdy!

I think I'm finally catching the hint that MDF is just not worth it for something like this. I just need to get off of my butt and head to the wood shop to start mocking this up.

Good call! I'm not a fan of MDF.........after a few years, scuff marks and other issues show up.

3/4" Hardwood species of your choice plywood works great!
doublewing11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off