My current LotR inspired HT progress - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my basic home theatre layout plan:

I haven't decided on the colours yet, choosing colours really hard. I'm waiting on GOM samples, but they don't seem to be coming. How long did most of you have to wait for your samples, and what about people in Canada (and who did it get shipped with)?

So it's your standard theatre design, with GOM & pillar thingies, except i'm going to make mine out of fake styrofoam rocks, and make an embossed desgin on them.

This is my current (very elvish inspired) design for the walls (they replace the ugly lines in the picture above), It's goign to be some serious stenciling...

I've been playing with styrafoam & a product that was called "Rosco Foamcaot" (which is like drywall coumpound but fancier, recommened by "Gobler" here ), trying various techniques to make it look like rock. So far my best bet has been to use foamcoat and cover it with sand, then paint it using spraypaint. To get a rock look it seems you need to get a lot of speckling going on. (that's what's going on on the left side)

(I don't know why, but all the pictures i took make it look like the design is a "hole" in the rock to me, when it's actually embossed. To other people it looks embossed... :/ )

To get the design, i cut a stencil out of bristol board, put that foamcoat stuff in the holes, and scraped over the design with a flat putty knife. Then i let that dry and covered the whole thing with slightly watered down foamcoat covered in sand. Let that dry, then rubbed the sand off and painted.

I also bought some ClearNeon UV paint, and tried it out with the stencil i had already made for embossing. The picture below is with the rock being right beside a UV light, which is probably why it's so bright.

Other ideas i've got going on:
Rock ceiling:
I have no idea what i'm going to do for the ceiling or floor. I've already drywalled the front of the theatre ceiling, so i might just paint that a dark colour (for now). The rear, i originally planned on doing a suspended ceiling, but that won't fit that well with the rest of the design.
What i think i'm going to do is put up a suspended ceiling, then cover all the rails/metal with velcro, and make up a thin layer of jaggedy rocks to cover it. And make the entire rear wall of the theatre jaggedy rocks (should help with diffusion), to try to get the impression that the theatre was carved out of a mine or something (Moria ).

Colour:
My current thought for a colour is to use dark green GOM, and for the rock, make it a relatively dark grey, but put hints of black, orange/gold/amber in it. I'm just waiting on an air brush so that i can start playing with more colours (right now i've been using spraypaint, so i don't have a great selection of colours). This has been a pretty tough choice. How did you guys ever decide on a colour, there's too many to choose from and they all sound good :P

Lights.
I'm probably going to have an embossed design on the pillars at the front of my theatre, but i have no lights to cast a shadow from the side, so i might put some floor lights of some sort.
I'm probably going to put UV lights on the 4 sides of each center pillar/support pole.

Speakers:
The columns on the walls aren't going to stick out very far from the wall because i don't have that much room, so i can't hide my speakers in there. My current plan is to (eventually, after everything else is done), make a sort of an elaborate "stand" for the speaker out of rock (styrofoam), and hide the speaker in there, and have a display peice on the top of it, like a sword or something, since it'll be right under a sconce it should get lit cool.

Stage/Riser:
I'm probably also going to make the risers & stage out of rock, maybe half smooth half uncarved (jaggedy) to further the look of a mine.

I've never built anything before, but so far i'm liking the flexibility that styrofoam is giving, since it's so light. As i've (slowly) built my theatre, i've changed a lot of plans and styrofoam has been an answer to a lot of my problems/things i've wanted to change (like the ceiling plan). As far as construciton goes, it's at a halt until the design gets finished (pretty much all the drywall is up). I could post pictures but they're pretty standard.

Any ideas/recommendations/opinions on anything would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Liked: 11
Keep us posted. This sounds like a really cool project and will turn out great as long as you take your time.
post #3 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Looks very exciting. My wife would like to paint some elvish sayings along the top of our walls as an accent. Can you tell me if that writting in your drawing is really elvish, and if so where did you find the lettering?

Thanks,
Guy
post #4 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think your idea looks pretty awesome. Having just rewatched the Trilogy recently, I think the elvish look and feel looks very authentic.
post #5 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

No, it's not elvish, i just masehd the keyboard with a "wingdings" font :P. I'm going to figure out what the actual text will be later, I haven't decided what i want it to say, but i might do an elvish of translation of something.

For elvish, your best bet might be to download an elvish font, print it out and cut out a stencil and use some sort of spray paint (unless you're good with caligraphy).

I just tried out the Paramite2 one here, and it seems pretty good (that site has links to other fonts and other sites). If you've never done it before, just unzip the file, and copy the .TTF files into c:\\windows\\fonts, then load up wordpad or word or something, and the fonts should show up in the font list. (that one is Tengwar Paramite)

http://at.mansbjorkman.net/parmaite.htm
post #6 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Goggle 'writing with elvish fonts'. It is an awesome site for elvish language and *How-to* scripts.

Your theater is going to look great. For the fake stone you might want to try a website for movie props. I think what your doing will yield great results though.

Oh...my wife used the 2" thick styrofoam blueboard at halloween for tombstones. She used a grey spray paint, and it actually ate into the foam. It looked like the real thing!

look forward to seeing your progress, happy building..
post #7 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Seems like it should also make a fairly good sound diffuser/absorber to cut down on wall reflections.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #8 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

post #9 of 108 Old 02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree cool idea, next time around I want to do something like this.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #10 of 108 Old 02-11-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Awesome! How sturdy is the foam you are using? Do you think it will break down over time (elbows bumping into it, kids, etc)?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #11 of 108 Old 02-11-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

The foam itself isn't super sturdy, it's fairly sturdy rigid white foam, but the stuff that coats it dries to be relatively hard & strong (stronger than drywall mud), so the strength of the foam would depend a lot on how thick of a coating you put on it. I'm not sure how thick i'm going to layer it yet.

I spent a good chunk fo the day working on a design for the projector wall & door. Here's what i've got for the front wall (it's basically the other design tweaked & recycled).

I'm having trouble deciding on what to do for the design around the door, i'm tempted to make it look like jaggedy rocks, and have the door itself smoother rock with a design on it, but i can't decide if i want that or i want a design a round the door as well.
post #12 of 108 Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Still waiting on fabric samples.
I'm going to check out soundsuede too since i like their hunter green.
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p...de_ccgreen.asp

So in the meantime I made quick app to help me decide on rock colours. Since the rock effect is done by spraying lots of little dots, i made an app that randomly sets dots in a bitmap to chosen colours to help me get an idea of what paint colours to use. I had a version that where you could specify a % of coverage over an existing bitmap, (so i could have "streaks" of orange" or whatever) in it, but it was buggy because my bitmap handling code sucks and i'm lazy.

It's here if anybody's interested.
http://www.angrysaki.com/Upload/spra...tmapthingy.zip
post #13 of 108 Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Very cool idea you've got going!

Check out Wildfire Paints. They make the best, brightest UV paints around.

http://www.wildfirefx.com/

Good Luck,

Dave
post #14 of 108 Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Angry:

Looks like a great concept. I was looking at your use of the styrofoam and thinking to myself about whether it was something I would want to use.

I guess the structural integrity bothers me a bit.

Something to think about are the newer foam based tile backer board products that are very light weight and could be coated with your rock surface concoction.

One product is Easyboard. The stuff is only 1/2 inch thick and run in the neighborhood of $10 for a 3x5 sheet. You would need to either do several layers or mount it on something to build up the thickness.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

A buddy just used it in his shower and he showed me sample of the stuff and I'm going to look into using it instead of the cement based backer board. It was very light weight.
post #15 of 108 Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
That UV paint idea is really neat.

Whenever I see things being made with foam, I can't help but think of spinal tap. . .
post #16 of 108 Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySaki View Post

I'm having trouble deciding on what to do for the design around the door, i'm tempted to make it look like jaggedy rocks, and have the door itself smoother rock with a design on it, but i can't decide if i want that or i want a design a round the door as well.

What about that door that said, "Speak Friend, and Enter." ?
post #17 of 108 Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Cool idea and cool effect with the UV paint.

Have you thought about putting the UV lights on a Clapper?
post #18 of 108 Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I guess the structural integrity bothers me a bit.

The strutcutral integrity of the foam is sort of bugging me too, but the flexibility/ease of cutting is pretty nice. (especially with a "hot wire" foam cutter, it's like butter)
I might do the "pillars" out of wood with a thin layer of foam, and just do the arche part above out of foam, since you can't really bang into them because of their height. I haven't completely decided yet, and i still haven't done enough tests with foam & various thicknesses of foamcoat.

Quote:

What about that door that said, "Speak Friend, and Enter." ?

I'm probably going to put speak friend and enter (in elvish) on the outside of the door, but on the inside, i'm undecided about what to put, and what will surround the door.

What i'm considering, is doing the brighter red part around the door out of "jaggedy" rocks, and having the door itself smooth with a design on it. Or i could continue the design that's all around the room, and have the in the brighter red part around the door.

Quote:

Have you thought about putting the UV lights on a Clapper?

All the lights are going to be on X10/Insteon, so there's definately going to be some way to have them turn on remotely. I haven't looked yet, but i'm hoping there's dimmable UV lights, so i can ramp the UV lights up.
post #19 of 108 Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 AM

Look into Wildfire paints. You can paint two (or three) different patterns on a surface and then hit them with two different sources of light (tungsten or UV) and have two different effects.
post #20 of 108 Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, as I mentioned above, my wife has now started doing the elvish lettering in our theater. Here are the pictures of her first section:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9988868

Guy
post #21 of 108 Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

This is going to be awesome, definitely subscribing...

Please provide lots of pics =)

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #22 of 108 Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

After not doing any work whatsoever all spring, summer & fall... I've stopped being lazy started working again...

I still have a little bit of mudding & sanding to do (maybe 5-10 hours of ceiling work ), and i have to build the stage. Other than that, it's time for the decoration/design part, which is what i'm most interested in.

Here's an overview of the shape, and then actual room:

It's around 20x20, 7'8" ceiling at the frong, about a foot lower at the back of the room i think

View of the screen area, duh :P

Screen area again

Back wall, there will be a desk/counter thingy spanning that entire wall (computers will go there, and it'll have a sink).

Another view of the back wall (and projector)

View of the door.
post #23 of 108 Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

And here's the designs i'm planning on doing by making a stencil out of either foamcore (which _sucks_ to cut), or foam (with a hot wire cutter) and using drywall mud (the fast-curing that you add water too, it seems to be pretty strong/hard). So basically it'll be an embossed design.

Front wall, there's a different design on each side, right now i'm leaning to the one on the right, it's a less busy version of the one on the left.

The design to go on the side walls.
The "words" i'm probably going to do a carved design, by using a thin layer of foam with the words cut out ontop of the arch/column.
All the arches on the side walls will be made of foam. Or atleast that's the plan. I don't want to mud 5 more arches.

Super rough general design idea of what the design around the entrance door will look like (on the inside of the room).

I'm considering doing something like this on the door itself, not sure yet though, maybe i'll just do some more vine like stuff. I don't even know how i'm going to build the door, so i'm not going to worry about it yet.

The outside of the door is going to have a tri-force (zelda) on it and possibly an unreal logo (unreal tournament). I haven't made a design yet though.

Colours:
All the arch-like stuff with fancy designs on it is going to look like rock/stone.
Last year i made this as a prototype of how i'm going to do the rock like stuff.

I'm currently planning on using soundsuede, becuase they make a green, which is what i want. I'm not a die-hard acoustics guy, so i might look around at local places for other greens, because i'm not totally happy with the soundsuede green.
That rock is more or less the type of stone i'm going for, maybe a bit darker.

I currently have no idea what colour to do the ceiling, or what to make the floor out of. It's not a big room, so i think i'll make the ceiling a lighter colour, probably a grey, but i really have no idea (an interior designer told me that would make the room look bigger one time).

I'm basically stabbing in the dark trying to pick colours, and have wasted tons of time mulling over them getting nowhere

This is the glowing test i did last year with that same rock thing. I'm probably going to use a white UV glow paint, not a blue one like this. Possibly an orange, since i like green and orange together (although i've been told that it's ugly ).
post #24 of 108 Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

And finally... I've got a couple of questions, if anybody has any answers .

1. Has anybody seen any green fabric besides soundsuede? Guilford of Maine didn't have any, besides this one called "blue spruce", which was a bit too blueish for me.

2. I want to get started on the back of the room (a giant desk/countertop 16 feet wide). It'll have a sink in it, but will also be my computer desk. I have no idea what it'll look like, right now i'm leaning towards making it look like a big map.

Would it be a bad idea if i started building it out of something like MDF now, and covered it with whatever i wanted later? I'm pretty sure i'm going to be doing a custom layer of "something" that will cover the whole thing. eg. I'd build it out of MDF now, and then later one when i'm ready, make a paper map, glue it on, and then cover that with something sort of clear coating, and make the edges the same way i've done the rest of the "rock".
The reason i want to start building it is now is that it'll probalby help me with the design i want to do on it, once i actually see the shape in real life. Right now i'm having trouble deciding what to do.

If it's not a terrible idea to start building without knowing exactly what i'm going to do, would MDF be good to build out of?

Or let's say i was going to do the "map" thing, would MDF be an ok base structurally?

fyi: i'm a gigantic noob at building stuff, in that i don't really know how to build anything and fumble my way through usually because i don't know how stuff is supposed to be done generally, stuff that's probably obvious to most people here.
post #25 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySaki View Post

Would it be a bad idea if i started building it out of something like MDF now, and covered it with whatever i wanted later?
If it's not a terrible idea to start building without knowing exactly what I'm going to do, would MDF be good to build out of?

Or let's say i was going to do the "map" thing, would MDF be an ok base structurally?

fyi: i'm a gigantic noob at building stuff, in that i don't really know how to build anything and fumble my way through usually because i don't know how stuff is supposed to be done generally, stuff that's probably obvious to most people here.

Just some thoughts. Most of the kitchen cabinets made today have MDF boxes covered with veneer or laminate. The doors may be made of real wood but solid wood boxes are pretty rare. So MDF (not particle board) is a logical choice. Now before heading off to pick up a bunch of sheets you may want to consider buying some pre-built RTA (ready to assemble) MDF cabinet bases and maybe even doors. Sometimes when you look at the price of the basic boxes they are reasonably good values. You might even check for returns that they sell dirt cheap.

Also check Ikea basic boxes.

Now as for a surface. Laminate counter tops are usually made of MDF. Tile counter tops will have a layer of cement backer board on top of MDF or Plywood before the tile.

You should make your cabinets such that the counter top fits on top and goes on after all the other work is done. That will give you more options when you get to that stage. It will also allow for experimentation (the map)

It will be nearly impossible to get a perfect 16 ft run of counter top. Even if you try to line something up it will have a seam in the base material. You may want to think along the lines of multi-levels with the wet bar higher (36 inches) then the desk part (28-30 inches). Full bar height is about 42 inches.

Lastly you may want to browse through the HD book library. They usually have a cabinet making book on hand. You should understand the difference between face frame and frame-less (European) cabinet construction before jumping in.
post #26 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You can get green stretch velvet which when stretched is very AT I used all velvet in my theater, Including the columns covering my speakers. It is not fire rated however my own tests showed slow burn and melting.
Just be aware of that though.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #27 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM

I'm also a very big fan of LOTR's! Watching this with great interest!
Very nice so far. I love the idea of the elven script and carvings being coated with UV paint that will 'glow' in a dark room! Very very cool!
Can't wait to see more.
Not to go off topic, but did you hear that Peter Jackson has signed on with New Line to produce/direct the Hobbit and "a sequel" (yet to be named)?
Very exciting that they put their 'differences' aside and are back to work on this!
post #28 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Another idea for you. The look of your theater is really coming along. Something you might want to consider is to do the counter and desk tops with a gray slate tile. It's something that you could DIY. You would need a Wet Saw for the project.

That gray slate should blend in with your man made rock scheme.
post #29 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM

You have got to me f'n kidding me! That effect UV effect is a spectacular idea! I can't wait to see this one get finished.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #30 of 108 Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
This is so very cool. Should come out awesome
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page