Show Us Your Color Schemes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 144 Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you've been following my thread in the "General Home Theater & Media Rooms" forum you will see that, while I do have a ways to go before I actually start painting, I'm reaching the point where its time to start thinking of color schemes.

I've looked through tons of threads and have seen some really neat concepts, neat completed theaters and neat color schemes. By the time that I get to the most recent thread, I forget which of the previous threads was my favorite and what that color scheme actually was.

I'm creating this thread in hopes that people can post their finished, or near finished, basement photos - specifcally showing the color schemes. Perhaps list the material used (cloth, etc, if any) and the colors of the paints and/or materials. This way for anyone else trying to do the same research with color schemes... they will have one place to look quickly to compare!

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

- Josh

Check out my threads:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 Old 04-14-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Here's the same question from the archives to get you started:
Show us your home theater color schemes!

post #3 of 144 Old 04-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Liked: 13
We matched a bar my wife found on ebay. I'll update this post with color numbers later.

The room is painted in three colors; tan, black, and red/brown. We used Behr Premium Plus pastel base from Home Depot. The finishes were eggshell for everything but the ceiling; which is flat.

Tan: Brown Teepee # 700D-4
Red: Toasted Chestnut # 240-F6
Black: Black Suede # S-H-790

post #4 of 144 Old 04-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

^ awesome room, man!

Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #5 of 144 Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Okay it's not yet complete but.. you get the idea.

GOM Colors

Columns: 2036 AUBERGINE

Walls: 1732 Terebene

Soffits & Screen Wall: 408 Black

Paint Colors

Ceiling: Hotel Room (Dark Purple)

Trim & Doors: Egg Shell Black (Black Cauldron)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #6 of 144 Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 AM

Great idea.

I'm (hopefully) about 2 weeks away from finally painting. Thinking either dark slate blue walls/dark grey or black ceiling and screen wall or dark plum walls with the same dark grey/black for the ceiling and screen wall.

I'd love to see some different colour ideas.

Cheers,
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeJosh View Post

If you've been following my thread in the "General Home Theater & Media Rooms" forum you will see that, while I do have a ways to go before I actually start painting, I'm reaching the point where its time to start thinking of color schemes.

I've looked through tons of threads and have seen some really neat concepts, neat completed theaters and neat color schemes. By the time that I get to the most recent thread, I forget which of the previous threads was my favorite and what that color scheme actually was.

I'm creating this thread in hopes that people can post their finished, or near finished, basement photos - specifcally showing the color schemes. Perhaps list the material used (cloth, etc, if any) and the colors of the paints and/or materials. This way for anyone else trying to do the same research with color schemes... they will have one place to look quickly to compare!

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

- Josh

post #7 of 144 Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48

Absolutely gorgeous !

Mine never shows the real colors very well without flash.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #8 of 144 Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Guys,

The posts are looking awesome. There are some really neat theaters out there. Keep 'em coming... I like all of the set-ups and color schemes - its going to be a tough decision!

Thanks!

Check out my threads:

post #9 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Absolutely gorgeous !

-and-

^ awesome room, man!

Thanks! We hired a decorator to help with color schemes, as we wanted to get the room right. It was worth it. The pictures came out with more of a red tint than expected.

Here's one more shot showing the screen wall. I will build acoustically transparent doors over the mains, as well as include damping around them.

Here's a shot of the bar in the basement just after we got it home; well before the HT construction started. I think the colors are more accurate here.

post #10 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 AM

Liked: 14
Check if your digital camera has a setting for indoor tunsten lighting. It gets rid of the yellow look of indoor lighting.

==Cocophone==
post #11 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone View Post

Check if your digital camera has a setting for indoor tunsten lighting. It gets rid of the yellow look of indoor lighting.

Thanks! This forum answers my digital photo questions, too!

post #12 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Chianti Red and Black Suede

It is hard to get a good shot.

-Steve
post #13 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here's my materials palette:

The wife and I kept going back and forth between fun and sophisticated and we kept coming back to fun. So, we decided to try to have a little fun, but with a little sophistication thrown in. I'm right at the fun part - the room is primed, paint goes on the walls over the next few days, and carpet comes Friday. So, we'll see how it all comes together in a few weeks when the chairs are moved in!

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #14 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Walls are dark burgundy paint with dark burgundy GOM on bottom half. Masking curtains are burgundy velvet. My 2.35 screen is masked down to 1.85 for this composite.

2.35 AR is suppose to be bigger than 1.78 AR not smaller!
post #15 of 144 Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Really neat color selections. Its amazing what your finished projects look like. In the beginning I was thinking:
Bottom 4' of wall: Black GOM
Top half of wall: Grayish-blue
Soffits: Black?
Ceiling: Light blue

What do you guys think of that type of scheme? Then again, after seeing these awesome pictures, who knows what I'll end up with!

Thanks and keep 'em coming...

- Josh

Check out my threads:

post #16 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pretty much green.

You can follow this link to flicker.com and get the full resolution photo to really see the detail.

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #17 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hawkeyejosh,
Scratch the Lt. Blue ceiling. very dark ceiling makes a huge difference.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

post #18 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Hawkeyejosh,
Scratch the Lt. Blue ceiling. very dark ceiling makes a huge difference.

Au contraire!

As you'll note from my pic above, the proper light blue color, Milano Blue, for example, shifts nicely from blue to gray. It will give your ceiling the appearance of added height and a very nice atmosphere as the colors change in the dimming lights.

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #19 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I LOVE the light blue ceiling, I guess you still get the good contrast with the black ceiling surround.
Do you have a light bar in the moulding, tough to tell from your site.
How are the sconces lighting on the screen ?
I'm debating sconces, but don't wnat to grey the blacks on screen.

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #20 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Plasma George,

The soffit does form a light tray - and there's light rope running inside it. The room has cans, the sconces, and rope lighting throughout (the soffit, around the screen in a blue tray, and along the steps). All are controlled by a dimmer - so different lighting for different effects. When watching a movie, all are dimmed all the way down (OFF), except for the rope lighting on the stairs - which is dimmed low.

So, no problem - the sconce lighting AND cans are only for pre and post show usage.

Thanks,

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #21 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

And c-not-k - terrific looking room!

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #22 of 144 Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Theater is Gray and burgundy:

GPowers

post #23 of 144 Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Thanks! We hired a decorator to help with color schemes, as we wanted to get the room right. It was worth it. The pictures came out with more of a red tint than expected.

Here's one more shot showing the screen wall. I will build acoustically transparent doors over the mains, as well as include damping around them.

Here's a shot of the bar in the basement just after we got it home; well before the HT construction started. I think the colors are more accurate here.

What are those bar tops made of are they marble, granite, or synthetic?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #24 of 144 Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

What are those bar tops made of are they marble, granite, or synthetic?

Wood, actually, with a lot of black lacquer. Here's a picture of the bar without the top.

A detail shot of the slide-out drawer.

Close-up of top.

Underside of top.

Another bar top closeup.

post #25 of 144 Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM

I used Ben Moore's Twilight Zone Black for the ceiling and front wall and B.M.'s Kensington Blue for the side walls. Its a blue grey that goes near black with the lights out. The carpet is charcoal gray as are the Berklines. I painted the crown and baseboard trim in a metallic charcoal gray and the sound panels are black.

Once you click on the link you can snoop about. I've got pictures from all phases of the build including the custom rack I built...

Kevin
Theater pics...

In an average home theater room there are 1,257 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself. There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris.
post #26 of 144 Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any more to add?

post #27 of 144 Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Here is my pallette. Black for the columns, soffit bottom and screenwall, blue for the side walls, gold for the crown. Was going to do fabric, but switched to paint due to the sale of my home. The fabrics pictured were both from dazian's exposure line. Black and Royal Blue. I had a paint color matched at Lowes's done to match the fabric.

Dave

|
|
|
post #28 of 144 Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Here's the good old, overly used, but still my favorite red and black...

post #29 of 144 Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Amen!

-Steve
post #30 of 144 Old 09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

Theater is Gray and burgundy:

I really like your color scheme. Did you make all those panels?

Bob

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page