Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Jay,

Looks Great !!
I like the stain color(s)

Thanks. I have been pretty happy with the Cabot Cherry Stain. I am dreading staining all the trim work, but I can't avoid it forever!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 350 Old 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My wife totaled the car a few weeks back and I had to drain all the money out of my basement fund to get her a new, used car. Ended up with 2.5 year old Ford Fusion. Never really a big Ford fan before but this car has really changed my mind. It is actually a really nice car. Well, it is paid for but it is going to take a bit to build up my basement fund again.

On to the update...

Framed out the windows. Just need to paint them.

Also finished the wood laminate for the stage.

I had hoped to be done May 1st for my sons 6th birthday but I am pretty sure that isn't going to happen. The money is gone for the time being.

Jay

post #273 of 350 Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Progress! Completed the bar plumbing today. Of course I only had to go to Home Depot 4 times today. First I had to go and get a P-trap and a longer extension piecce for the drain. 6" wasn't long enough. Then I had to get a 22 degree elbow to line up my waste drain and some piece to tie my 1.5" drain to my 2" waste line. So then I make my cuts and prime my pieces with that purple plumbing stuff. Next I open the glue and it has hardened, so it is useless. Back to Home Depot. I get back and glue every thing up and hook up my P-trap.

Yes I left the orange price tags on!

I attached the facuet to the water and let it rip.

Things look to be going pretty good and then the leaking started. It is leaking right at the downward connection from the waste pipe to the P-trap. So I figure I just need to tighten it. Test it again and it is still leaking. Where is the Billy May's Mightly Putty when you need it. So I take it apart and notice that no amount of tightening will fix a crappy molding process.

Look at this crap. Of course it is going to leak!

I go back to HD to get a new piece and hook it back up. Perfect. Not a leak to be found. Then it happened......

I picked up all my supplies and, while leaning forward, I felt my shirt and pants getting wet. I look down and to my horror I had tightened everything EXCEPT the container with the purple plumbing primer and it is all over me and my new tiled floor. It looked like I had shot Barney! I quickly get off the tile and drop my stuff, grab wet paper towel and frantically start trying to clean up the bloody Barney mess. "Please don't stain the grout, Please don't stain the grout." When everything was said and done the tiles were fine but there are some spots on the grout (and me) that are stained purple.

Here is the culprit...

You probably can't see it from this picture but trust me, it looks like I just gave Barney a hand job...

Did he get some on my pants????? Oh yeah.

Jay

post #274 of 350 Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't gotten too much done over the last few weeks except I did get a chance to put the basement through it's first dry run sans the theater. Few weeks back my son and I were watching TV and a commercial came on for a company called Party City came and my son says "Daddy that is where we went to get the supplies for your surprise party". Note to parents: If you want to keep something a secret don't tell your 5 year old. My wife learned that the hard way and was mad that I found out. Since I was going to be 40 she wanted to have the party in the unfinished basement which was a construction zone. She was going to "trick" me into cleaning up the basement for no good reason (it would have never happened by the way). So it ended up being a good excuse to clean up so that no one would get lost in the mess. Turned out ok.

Looking into the HT

You can't see too well from the pictures but I ended up repainting the HT area because the red wasn't dark enough. Went much darker and I am much happier.

Stocked the bar a bit and got a popcorn machine (gift from the kids)

I was really happy with how the party went. I ran the bar all night and it was great. Had room to fit 4 folding tables with 8 seats each. Kids loved the stage and had a great time dancing in the HT area. I can see it all coming together and soon I will be watching movies!!!

Next up:
Doors
Moldings
Carpet

Jay

post #275 of 350 Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Congrats on the first run in the basement (and happy birthday...just turned the 40 corner myself not too long ago). Sounds like a good time was had by all. Nice looking bar there. I like how the third row bar turned out as well. Keep it up.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #276 of 350 Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Jay...the bar looks GREAT. Regarding your Barney encounter (LOL BTW) I hope you and he get things worked out....sounds like he owes you one
post #277 of 350 Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Congrats on the first run in the basement (and happy birthday...just turned the 40 corner myself not too long ago). Sounds like a good time was had by all. Nice looking bar there. I like how the third row bar turned out as well. Keep it up.

Thanks. Turning 40 was no big deal and since I still act like I am 12 (so my wife says) I don't feel a day over 13.

Still have some finish molding work on the bar but all in all it turned out exactly as I planned. I bought a cheap test bar stool and have turned the third row bar into my current construction workstation. I just set up the laptop and instant giant desk! Movies are going to be great from back in the cheap seats.

Jay

post #278 of 350 Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Hey Jay...the bar looks GREAT. Regarding your Barney encounter (LOL BTW) I hope you and he get things worked out....sounds like he owes you one

Thanks for the compliments! The Barney Incident (as I now refer to it) ended up being no big deal and is hardly noticable unless you get on your hands and knees. That doesn't sound too good....

Jay

post #279 of 350 Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Step away from the purple dinasaur

post #280 of 350 Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ha...that explains it
post #281 of 350 Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Hey Jay, I was thinking of using the Blondewood for my bar also because it doesnt have as much grain as oak. What did you end up using for the trim to match?

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
post #282 of 350 Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Step away from the purple dinasaur

Just great....now I am never going to be able to look at MJ again. Such sweet innocence. LOL

Jay

post #283 of 350 Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

Hey Jay, I was thinking of using the Blondewood for my bar also because it doesnt have as much grain as oak. What did you end up using for the trim to match?

I ended up using some nice pine for the trim. Matched faily well but if I could do it again I would have skipped the blondewood and gone with birch instead. When staining the blondewood I noticed that no two pieces stained the same. Some had more grain than others. Not very noticable until you get up close. The birch gave up a more even stain.

Jay

post #284 of 350 Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know a good place to get some staingrade pine molding baseboards in Oakland or Macomb county? Big Orange wants $1.72/ft and I don't think their stuff looks very good and I was hoping to get a better deal than that. I need about 250 ft.

Jay

post #285 of 350 Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Where did you use Birch? Also, my brother got all his trim from a place here in macomb. I will find out the name and location and let you know. I was gonna check them out too. He said it was cheaper than the big box places. Somewhere around 22 or 23 mile road and hayes area I believe.

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
post #286 of 350 Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM

I stopped by the place yesterday. They have really nice stuff, although I didnt price out their stainable pine. But they had a great price on some nice 5" fancy baseboard for I think $1.50 or so per lin. ft. Its called Macomb Stairs and Millwork. http://www.macombstairs.com/
I will be getting all of my moldings from there, very helpful too. Its also nice that they are close, 23 mile west of Hayes. Check em out.

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
post #287 of 350 Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

I stopped by the place yesterday. They have really nice stuff, although I didnt price out their stainable pine. But they had a great price on some nice 5" fancy baseboard for I think $1.50 or so per lin. ft. Its called Macomb Stairs and Millwork. http://www.macombstairs.com/
I will be getting all of my moldings from there, very helpful too. Its also nice that they are close, 23 mile west of Hayes. Check em out.

Thanks for the info Biz. I will check them out.

I used birch for my rack that I built. I stained so much nicer than the blondewood. In the end they aren't too far apart and most people will never notice the variations. I notice them but I am learning to live with it!

Jay

post #288 of 350 Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

No I did not finish the basement yet, and no I did not decide that The NeverEnding Story would be my first movie. As a matter of fact I have done nothing for the last 3 months, so that is my neverending story. Oh I pretended to quote out doors and trim, but when the quote came back at $3,500 did I go get other qoutes???? Negative GhostRider......I just sat there and stared at it. You want to charge me how much for my closet doors? $1,500??? Are they made with gold? Maybe they meant to say $150 instead. Seriously I need two double doors for my closets and they are framed for Bi-folds but I think I want double doors that open so standard sizes won't fit. Solid wood, not solid gold. I thought I made it clear to the guy. So apparently my specially sized solid wood doors are a made by expensive miracle elves or something like that. I guess I am going to do bi-fold doors afterall. Things have been crazy busy since the start of spring so really haven't haven't had the chance to do much and won't be able to do anything this weekend. Stay tuned for more updates about nothing.....

Jay

post #289 of 350 Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I am scooted right to the edge of my seat...

post #290 of 350 Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am scooted right to the edge of my seat...

Great, here is an update...driving Saturday to deposit a little bonus check and I noticed a little pufff of smoke from under my hood. It was faint but I saw it. Pulled over and $&%#@ the radiator has a tiny leak. Ok maybe it is just a hose. So I drive to my guy and sure enough it is a leak in the core! Now I know I have an EVAP code that only the dealer can fix, so after fixing the radiator my guy takes it to the Jeep dealership for that and a recall on the heated seats. So far my bonus check that I was going to use for seats is slowly dwindling away. Oh yes I almost forgot, once all that is done I have to get a leak in the rear axle fixed. Can you sell plasma on eBay???

PS> Still have yet to bonus my check....why didn't they just do direct deposit?????

Jay

post #291 of 350 Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

PS> Still have yet to bonus my check....

Let me know when you figure out how to do that.

Bummer on the rest.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #292 of 350 Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Wow, man, this looks really nice
post #293 of 350 Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Let me know when you figure out how to do that.

Bummer on the rest.

LOL What I meant was I have yet to deposit my bonus check yet. Although it would be awesome to "bonus my check".

Jay

post #294 of 350 Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltar512 View Post

Wow, man, this looks really nice

Thanks for noticing. One day it will be finished and I can appreciate all the work I have put into it.

Jay

post #295 of 350 Old 08-01-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I have to be honest...I haven't done a thing in 4 months. Literally nothing. Wait, I take that back. I did wash my bonus check in my jeans and it became little bits of paper. Unfortuantely the bank would not take my word that all those little pieces of paper actually at one time were a bonus check. So I had to go back to payroll and get a new check.

So for the last few months what have I been doing? Coaching my daughters softball team, vacation, golf, napping, working, napping, eating, napping, napping and yardwork. I also did some napping with my free time. To be fair to myself I did finish my drop ceiling last weekend. I had about 8 pieces I had to cut to finish it off so in between naps I was able to knock it out.

Actually I have just been rebuilding my basement fund ever since someone I live with in the house totalled her care in February (see previous posts). I have built the funds back up, so it is time to start up again and I have decided to start with under cabinet lights in the bar. Unfortunately a nap got in the way and I never really started so I will start and document the fiasco later this week.

Don't hold your breath.....

Jay

post #296 of 350 Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well I finally got a free weekend recently and got some little projects finished. First up was putting in the undercabinet lights. I ended up going the very simple, cheap and effective route. I installed Seagull Ambiance® Low Voltage Linear Lighting System. Wire up the transformer, screw in the track, run the wire, plug in the light fixtures into the wire and done. Here is how it looks with the overhead lights on and off.

Next up was finishing the drop ceiling in the middle of the basement. I had to complete a bunch of complicated cuts that I was just to lazy to finish before. Check that off the list. I am flying now....not.

Then I wired up some temp sconce lighting in the theater. At least I can see in there now.

Last but not least I used my kreig jig to build a frame around my equipment cabinet. Turned out better than I thought. Now I just need to build a wall to slide it into. Maybe next weekend.

Yes I realize I need a little bit of dusting.

Jay

post #297 of 350 Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Yaj,

Wow - that's a bunch of catching up - looks good!!

Sounds like you are happy with the Kreg jig..?
(got one as a gift awhile back but have not yet put it to use)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #298 of 350 Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Yaj,

Wow - that's a bunch of catching up - looks good!!

Sounds like you are happy with the Kreg jig..?
(got one as a gift awhile back but have not yet put it to use)

cuzed,
It looks more impressive than it actually is. That is how I trick everyone into thinking I am really making progress.

I hate the jig.....because it isn't a real Kreg. It is some cheap knockoff I got a while back. It works but it is garbage. I am going to get a new one.

Jay

post #299 of 350 Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Just caught up in this thread. The barney incident is pretty memorable. Good read.
post #300 of 350 Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Just caught up in this thread. The barney incident is pretty memorable. Good read.

Thanks. There is still a faint bit of Barney seed on the grout but it is hardly noticable.....thank god.

Jay

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page