The "I hope this works" Home Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 350 Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe it has been 2 months since my last post. This summer is flying. With work, tee ball, vacations at the cottage, guys golf weekend, etc there has been little time to work on the basement. Here is an update:

Finished my "rough" electrical
Ordered my SMX screen material
Ordered 500' Speaker Wire (14g)
Ordered Cat5e
Bought 65 rolls of insulation (Thanks to HD and a $200 rebate)
Boxed in my support posts and beams

Need to start getting some insulation up in places I don't need to run Speaker and Cat 5 so that I can move. Pictures to come tomorrow so that you can see the progress or lack there of. Looks like a bomb went off downstairs.

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 350 Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Some pictures of the latest progress...

Framed the columns and support beams.

Wired pool table light and soffit lights.

Ran electical for star ceiling. Switched outlet and light box will be in exercise room and then run over the wall to the home theater.

65 Rolls of the pink stuff. Will pack ceiling with rockwool first above theater to help a little with sound.

500ft of 14g speaker wire

Jay

post #33 of 350 Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

I used the exact same lights in my light tray. I assume you got them at the big orange? they were on clearance down in florida, I think I paid $40 for 6 of them or something like that.

I like them, but the only issue I have is they generate alot of heat...

Guinness is good for you!
Rob

My HT build thread
post #34 of 350 Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1759 View Post

I used the exact same lights in my light tray. I assume you got them at the big orange? they were on clearance down in florida, I think I paid $40 for 6 of them or something like that.

Mine are identical. I actually have one that generates enough heat that after an hour or so the thermal protection kicks in and it shuts off. After about 10 minutes it comes back on and stays on for another hour. The cycle then repeats. When I get time I'll figure out why it's doing it.

As a safety FYI, don't work anywhere near them or touch them when they're on. They WILL burn you! Also, don't install them anywhere too close to a proscenium wall. I was working on my proscenium panels and I left one leaning close to the light. It melted a quarter-sized patch in the speaker cloth fabric on the top edge of the panel. Not burned, melted.

-drin

Resident curmudgeon
post #35 of 350 Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1759 View Post

Yep, exact same ones except you got a better deal. Mine were $12 ea but I only needed three.

Jay

post #36 of 350 Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drin View Post

Mine are identical. I actually have one that generates enough heat that after an hour or so the thermal protection kicks in and it shuts off. After about 10 minutes it comes back on and stays on for another hour. The cycle then repeats. When I get time I'll figure out why it's doing it.

As a safety FYI, don't work anywhere near them or touch them when they're on. They WILL burn you! Also, don't install them anywhere too close to a proscenium wall. I was working on my proscenium panels and I left one leaning close to the light. It melted a quarter-sized patch in the speaker cloth fabric on the top edge of the panel. Not burned, melted.

-drin

I'll have to keep an eye out for the heat issues. If you figure it out let me know. Luckily they are going in empty drywalled soffits so hopefully I won't have any problems. I will switch over to a Halo remodel 4" can if they give me problems. Thanks for the burn warning. Knowing my luck I'll still fry myself!

Jay

post #37 of 350 Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

A month???!!!! It's been a month since my last post and I had hoped to have awesome photos to show the great progress, but unless you want photos of me visiting my sister in Windsor, visitng the folks, touring Wrigley Field, travelling to San Fran for work, going to birthday parties or 100 other things I have had to do this month these will have to do.

Stairs to the basement. I need some sort of sign there.

Bought a new toy. Boy I wish I had bought this earlier. It drives screws like a champ. Ended up returning it to The Big Orange and buying a combo kit with that and the 18v XPR Hammer drill for $50 more.

Also found some Roxul (for the HT ceiling) less than a mile from my house. 4 batts fit in the Jeep perfectly.

Got a PowerBridge for the Projector. I think I am over doing it...I should just get a Cummins Natural Gas Generator and skip the PowerBridge. Then no worries about power failures (which I have had 1 in 4.5 years and that was when the entire East Coast and Midwest went down).

Got my screen! I need to find a better place to park it. At this rate I wont get to it until next year.

Jay

post #38 of 350 Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't had the chance to get mush done in the last month but here goes it...

Ran PVC pipe from HT ceiling to where my star ceiling iluminator will go.

Ran 14g speaker wire, RG6 quad sheilded cable, Cat5e from equipment rack location to each of 7 speaker locations. So I should be a little future proof. Also ran RG6 to each sub location.

It may look like a rats nest but I labeled everything. I knew that label maker would pay off one day.

This was a ton of work! You can also see some of the Roxul I put in the ceiling along with all my fancy fireblocking.

Put in all the Roxul in the ceiling above the HT. On top of that goes R13 pink stuff for no good reason.

My tools of the insulation trade...

PS. Don't forget to wear a long sleeve shirt like I did the first 30 minutes...

Jay

post #39 of 350 Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The regular fluffy fiberglass does not irritate that bad. The worst itch I ever got was messing around with these yellow fiberglass ceiling tiles. Easily 10 times worse itch than fluffy stuff.

Keep on trucking through with the construction, whenever you feel like you aren't getting anything done (usually happens in the electrical the most) just look at old pictures from when you started and it will give you motivation to finish.
post #40 of 350 Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 AM

ugh yellow fiberglass ceiling tiles....
post #41 of 350 Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post

The regular fluffy fiberglass does not irritate that bad. The worst itch I ever got was messing around with these yellow fiberglass ceiling tiles. Easily 10 times worse itch than fluffy stuff.

Keep on trucking through with the construction, whenever you feel like you aren't getting anything done (usually happens in the electrical the most) just look at old pictures from when you started and it will give you motivation to finish.

Agreed. Ceiling tiles are MUCH worse! My goal now is to do a little bit of isulation each night. If I do a roll a night I'll be done in 65 days. Not too shabby!

Jay

post #42 of 350 Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I bought some 2" Carlon conduit to run from my AV rack to my projector location. My question is how do I terminate it? It is too large to work with Carlon lov voltage boxes I have been using and I can't figure out what to do. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I have also made an alternate projector location with and outlet should I need it. Now have locations at 16 and 19'.

Jay

post #43 of 350 Old 08-26-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Got most of the insulating completed in the Home Theater area. It is starting to look like something. Only 1800 more square feet to go and the ENTIRE basement will be insulated.

Here is my conduit for my fiber optic star ceiling. It runs into the exercise room where I will house the light box.

Maybe I'll be finished by Christmas???? If so then the first film has to be Christmas Vacation!

Jay

post #44 of 350 Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

My New Years Resolution is to keep this thread updated. Obviously I didn't accomplish much this Fall so maybe this Winter will be better. I can't believe that I thought I might have this done at Christmas. I must have been drinking. If i was only doing a Home Theater it wouldn't be so bad but trying to finish 2,200 sq ft by yourself is slow going. Here is the update:

Finished all the insulating, put Intergrity Gasket on all the floor joists (that's the green stuff a couple of pics below) and started drywall with a brand spanking new drywall lift I bought for $80

Ordered 2 25' Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI cables from BJC

Ran cables through my conduit for my projector...anyone have any suggestion on how to terminate 2" flexible conduit? Does Carlon make anything? Right now I just cut a small hole for the cables to come through the ceiling but I would love a neater solution.

Here is what it looked like before I started to drywall

Any suggestions for terminating that 2" beast behind my AV rack?

I also bought this fun toy as a Christmas Gift to myself. It's a holiday tradition I like to keep. You see I buy something and then the wife yells "That's your Christmas present!". Ah Yes, the sounds of the holiday.

Tried to buy the Berkline's at Costco but as you can see I am nowhere ready for seating and she called me out on it.

So I would like to have drywall finished by end of January but seeing I have wasted every other timeline I think I will make it end of February. No way am I mudding and taping, I'll pay some poor sap for that.

PS. Why didn't anyone tell me how freaking heavy 5/8" drywall is???? I think my back is broken.

Jay

post #45 of 350 Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 AM

Looking good so far. Hopefully you didn't get a noisy 80 gig.

I'm sooo blu right now.
post #46 of 350 Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Actually quiet as can be. I can hardly hear it.

Jay

post #47 of 350 Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

So I would like to have drywall finished by end of January but seeing I have wasted every other timeline I think I will make it end of February. No way am I mudding and taping, I'll pay some poor sap for that.

Starting to come along and look like a room now. Nice work! I agree with you on mudding and taping. I did my own and i hated it!
post #48 of 350 Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

i want to go on record as saying I hate anyone that is allowed to run romex and meet code, that's just waaaaay too easy. I wish, so jealous.

looking good though, thanks for the updates!
post #49 of 350 Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Plus at my Mach One speed I wouldn't finish mudding and taping until 2025!

Jay

post #50 of 350 Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

It does make the running electrical a lot easier that is for sure.

Jay

post #51 of 350 Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Gee in three months I have managed to hang all the drywall. (Ok let's be honest, I am really CLOSE to having it all hung...like 97%, just a few pieces here and there.)

Here is the HT area. Still need to build my stage and false wall and make a plug for the window.

Bar area is coming along. Still need a few sheets to finish up so I will get them this weekend and get er done.

Kids play room.

I have all my mud and tape in the garage already. It was a freebie from my brother-in-laws construction project. Just need to schedule my wife's uncles to come over to do it all.

I am still a ways off. My realistic goal is to finish by Christmas. (Of couse that is what I said last year.) Once I am done with the drywall then I can really make some progress!

Jay

post #52 of 350 Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Hey Jay, Im at 22 and romeo plank! I 'm actually in the planning stages right now for my basement and theater. question for ya, how high is your ceiling in the theater part of your build after drywall? Im worried mine will be too low cause I have some vents running where Im planning to place my theater and the ceiling will only be about 6' 5" after I hang the drop ceiling. Looks great so far by the way, keep up the great work.

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
post #53 of 350 Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

Hey Jay, Im at 22 and romeo plank! I 'm actually in the planning stages right now for my basement and theater. question for ya, how high is your ceiling in the theater part of your build after drywall? Im worried mine will be too low cause I have some vents running where Im planning to place my theater and the ceiling will only be about 6' 5" after I hang the drop ceiling. Looks great so far by the way, keep up the great work.

I am south of 22 east of RP in Beacon Square. If you ever want to stop by and look at my insanity you are more that welcome. Just drop me a message and I will send you my contact info. I planned my basement one house ago and when things weren't working out the way I wanted I went and bought a new house with a bigger basement just to do what I wanted. Ceiling is actually 8'-9" or so. Had it made extra deep so I would have room. Put the drywall right to the floor joists as I knew I wasn't going to really have a sound proof room. Wish I had done hat channels on the ceiling. Would have made the drywalling easier.

Jay

post #54 of 350 Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Gee in three months I have managed to hang all the drywall. (Ok let's be honest, I am really CLOSE to having it all hung...like 97%, just a few pieces here and there.)

If it makes you feel any better, I've been doing drywall for 11 months. Initial drywall, change of plans, drywall the new back-stage, then double drywall everywhere. But its DONE! (~two weeks ago).

Paul

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #55 of 350 Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I've been doing drywall for 11 months. Initial drywall, change of plans, drywall the new back-stage, then double drywall everywhere. But its DONE! (~two weeks ago).

Congrats on being done! I thought about double drywall but my HT is not closed off from the rest of the basement so I figured it would be a waste. Thinking back I probably should have DD the ceiling but I wasn't motivated enough to haul more 5/8" drywall into the basement!

Jay

post #56 of 350 Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Getting my last few sheets of drywall tomorrow to finish this. Then on to the mudding and taping which I am hoping to farm out.

Jay

post #57 of 350 Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Getting my last few sheets of drywall tomorrow to finish this. Then on to the mudding and taping which I am hoping to farm out.

If there is one thing I learned: farm out mudding/taping. I did everything else (framing, drywall, greenglue, floor, plumbing, electrical, insulation) so I figured I could do mud/tape/float. I can do mud/tape, but not efficiently. I can't float the nice final surface.

A lot of the other stuff it would be hard to get somebody else to do it the way I wanted for a reasonable amount of money. Mudding/taping/floating/texturing is something I can get somebody else to do.

Paul

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #58 of 350 Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

If there is one thing I learned: farm out mudding/taping. I did everything else (framing, drywall, greenglue, floor, plumbing, electrical, insulation) so I figured I could do mud/tape/float. I can do mud/tape, but not efficiently. I can't float the nice final surface.

A lot of the other stuff it would be hard to get somebody else to do it the way I wanted for a reasonable amount of money. Mudding/taping/floating/texturing is something I can get somebody else to do.

Paul

The thought of mudding and taping the ceiling just gives me the chills!

Jay

post #59 of 350 Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a fun conversation I had with the Wife.....

ME: "Hey Honey, have you heard back from your uncle on the price to mud and tape the basement? He is family and I would like to have him do it, plus it would be much faster. He could knock it out in a week."

WIFE: "Why yes he did. The price he quoted me was $3,000. When should I call him to start."

ME (in a rage): "Start??? Call him and tell him to drive off a cliff. $3,000????!!!! Are you kidding me? I asked him to mud and tape the basement not the Taj Mahal. $3,000 and I have already hung the drywall and have all the mud and tape in the garage!! Where is the family discount?"

ME AGAIN: "Screw it. I'll do it myself."

And so it begins.....Wait until you see my handy work. Pictures to follow for your viewing pleasure.

What have I gotten myself into?

Jay

post #60 of 350 Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM

$3,000 to mud and tape in that room???? i had no idea drywalling was such a lucrative industry. i shoulda skipped out on college and went straight to mudding n taping.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page