Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 350 Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord87 View Post

Guys, I am right along with you. I haven't been to too many Lions or Wolverines games, but I have been a loyal fan of both since my birth 30 years ago. I just can't get over how bad the last 2 years have been football wise. This must be how Spartans fans have felt for the last 20 or 30 years!

It is painful to be a Detroit Sports fan right now! Why am I going to torture myself at the game tomorrow? I guess that is why we have turned our attention to Home Theaters instead. Speaking of which...got the second coat of paint on the walls. Red is starting to grow on me.

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 350 Old 11-27-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Coming along very nicely.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 350 Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Coming along very nicely.

Thanks. BTW I really like how you trimed out the speaker cabinet in front of your screen. Just gave me some ideas!

Jay

post #184 of 350 Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

I am thinking about putting $1G on the Packers and use my winnings to fund a projector! They should pay me to sit through those games!

What PJ are you getting?? You did throw down the $1k right??

Gamertag:
post #185 of 350 Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

What PJ are you getting?? You did throw down the $1k right??

LOL... Of course I chickened out. I know they would have covered if I had! I guess I will just have to dish out the cash for the Panny 4000.

Jay

post #186 of 350 Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11
Just wanted to say that I think you are a very good writer and I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to more progress pics. I am building an Irish pub in my house and recently started the AV rack for thw two flat screens and jukebox. (One TV for the Mets, one for the Yankees of course). I got my idea for my AV rack from YW84U:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...342&highlight=

Keep up the good work!

www.oshea12566.wordpress.com

This is the word of O'Shea.....Thanks be to Beer.

post #187 of 350 Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12566 View Post

Just wanted to say that I think you are a very good writer and I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to more progress pics. I am building an Irish pub in my house and recently started the AV rack for thw two flat screens and jukebox. (One TV for the Mets, one for the Yankees of course). I got my idea for my AV rack from YW84U:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...342&highlight=

Keep up the good work!

www.oshea12566.wordpress.com

Thanks for the kind words. I actually hate how I write so I am glad someone enjoys it! I saw Tom's rack and thought about building it like his but since I don't really have a wall for the rack I had to go with this version. One day I will upgrade to a realy rack with faceplates and the whole 9 yards.

Saw you Blog. It is addictive like crack. Wish my life was half as interesting! Loved the fact that you even go the Gas Can involved. Bar is looking good and you can really see the Irish Pub starting to form. Nice job.

Jay

post #188 of 350 Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

So I went to pick out my granite this weekend. Found a local company and since I was only doing the main bar top (not the actual counter area) and the HT bar top I was budgeting about $1,500. For the main bar counters I was going to do do formica myself. Well the salesman used the Jedi Mind Trick or something because before I knew it I was putting in granite everywhere for $3,000. HIM - "These are not the bar tops you are looking for." ME - "These are not the bar tops I am looking for." HIM - "For only $1,500 more you can do the counters as well." ME - "For only $1,500 more I can do the counters (through in the backsplash and we have a deal) as well." Next thing I know I am forking over a check for 50% and trying to figure out how to make up the budget overrun. Anyone in the market for some plasma???? Not A Plasma, blood plasma.

Oh yeah...here is the granite. What do you think?

May the force be with me, I'm going to need it.

Jay

post #189 of 350 Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 AM

Love the granite! You are going to love that distinctive clink nice glasses make when on a granite bar top. Easy to clean, easy to maintain and will last longer than us.

So, you go in thinking you are going to spend 1500 and wind up spending 3000? That never happens to me because I am not allowed acces to any money. If I was allowed, the mortgage will not get paid but I will have a 100" screen. Plus, I think my wife is a Jedi because mind tricks do not work on her. Unless it is for clothes.

Salesman: This AV rack is 1000. Comes with a fan.
Wife [turns to me; waves hand]: You will build your own AV rack.
Me: I can build my own AV rack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

Saw you Blog. It is addictive like crack. Wish my life was half as interesting! Loved the fact that you even go the Gas Can involved. Bar is looking good and you can really see the Irish Pub starting to form. Nice job.

Thank you for being addicted! Hope you stop by often. Senor GasCan had to make an appearance. I mean, how often does your brother run out of gas and you have to rescue him? I could not let such an opportunity pass.

Thanks for the bar compliments. It is coming along slowly. I wanted a home theater at first, but Jedi Master Wife nixed the idea.

She waved her hand and said: "we will have a space that can be used by anyone at anytime"
Me: "we'll build an Irish Pub"

I am just happy she let me tear apart the whole room and the two flat screens wereher idea!

Stop by my blog anytime and if you have any suggestions, opinions, ideas, concerns, leave a comment and let me know. Ridicule is welcomed too.

Look forward to more posts about your project. Or is it a hobby?

Happy building.

post #190 of 350 Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like you got a decent price on the granite... how much per sq/ft? What was the name/type of the granite?

I think you'll be happy having done the whole thing in granite. We have granite in our kitchen, all bathrooms (2 full, 2 half), and the theater/kitchenette.... I wouldn't have it any other way (except maybe some other fancy solid surface or stone).

When we were picking the granite for the basement, we saw a sample we liked at our fabricator's showroom and was quoted a decent price. We then went down to the distributor to pick out a slab. When we got there, the slabs with the same name/type of granite looked MUCH different. When we found a slab that looked like the sample (different name) we got on the phone with our sales person who said THAT variety was more expensive.

The distributor was like 'Don't worry... I give you good price!' and worked out a deal with the fabricator to bring the price down closer to what we were expecting. I have no idea what the cost of the slab was, but it was nice that he was able to work with our fabricator to bring the cost down.

No jedi mind tricks, but we got the granite we wanted and stayed within budget.

||
post #191 of 350 Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Looks like you got a decent price on the granite... how much per sq/ft? What was the name/type of the granite?

The granite is called Brown Pearl. I have about 93 sqft including backplash so it comes out to about $33-34/sq ft. That also includes a bar sink and full round edges, so not too bad.

I got to see the full slab and had them shine some light on it to get a better idea of how it looked. My fear is that once it is installed I won't like it. I am sure it will be fine but my brain likes to mess with me.

When we built the house 6 years ago I opted to go with Solid Surface countertops in the kitchen (Maybe 60 sq ft max) and got bent over like a Tiger Woods girlfriend. Builder was a crook and charged me $7,000!!!!

In the end I am going to be happy doing all granite, plus it will just make the build go faster. Now I need to work out a deal on some Axiom Speakers!

Jay

post #192 of 350 Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Look forward to more posts about your project. Or is it a hobby?

Oh it is a project alright, but I think it is going to become a hobby. I have caught the HT bug something awful. Looking forward to more adventures of Senor GasCan. Maybe a Christmas Edition?

Stay strong and don't let the Jedi bring you down!

Jay

post #193 of 350 Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM

"got bent over like a Tiger Woods girlfriend"

Very funny!

Senor GasCan will make a future appearance on my blog-if I can convince him to unretire.

post #194 of 350 Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Spent Thursday and Friday in NYC for work and since I was staying right on Madison Ave I got the chance to do a lot of walking around and see the sights. Not the first time doing that but it was the first time I did it with my HT design hat on. Lot's of inspiration, just wish I had done that earlier in my build instead of so late. My design is pretty much done, but I'll see what I can incorporate.

The other thing I wished I had done differently....building the frame for my bar. I used 2x2's and they have warped a lot over the last 2 years. Tomorrow I am getting the countertops measured for the granite and I spent all day today shimming and fixing my frame. A complete and total pain! Why didn't I use 2x4's?????? UGH!

Jay

post #195 of 350 Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Granite company came over on Monday afternoon to measure for the countertops. All seemed to go well, which I hoped it would since I spent all day Sunday leveling and shiming those things. Today I got the call that the install date is December 22nd so I will have them in by Christmas. Now that really doesn't matter because I had no Christmas plans downstairs, but it does allow me to mark another thing off my punch list. I also like the fact that the bar top in the back of the theater will be done so that I can store stuff on it, really I need it. Just thinking.....I could even have a place for the laptop downstairs to distract me from my weekend work!

Jay

post #196 of 350 Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 AM

I hope to see some pics posted as soon as the install guys leave!

post #197 of 350 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hope to see some pics posted as soon as the install guys leave!

I'll probably take pictures as they install as well. Maybe I'll launch it with a nice beverage since I plan on not going into work that day.

Jay

post #198 of 350 Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I hadn't checked out your thread in a while, lets see some more pics! Looking good so far. Your bar looks amazing. I wish I had the space to do something like that.

post #199 of 350 Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprez25 View Post

I hadn't checked out your thread in a while, lets see some more pics! Looking good so far. Your bar looks amazing. I wish I had the space to do something like that.

Thanks. I need to do a better job taking pictures. I didn't really get much done this weekend except painting the rest of the basment. It is Aztec Gold but looks like a cross between vomit and gold. They should call it Vomit Gold instead. I was supposed to be off tomorrow but now I have to go into the office so I will try and take pictures when I get home so that you can vomit as well.

Please don't make me repaint.

Jay

post #200 of 350 Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Painted the remaining walls in the basement. I call it Vomit Gold. Looks delicious.

Here it is against the red wall in the HT...

Against the French Grey in the bar...

What do you think?

Jay

post #201 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 AM

I don't think it looks bad. I'm trying to figure out what color would be a good accent to Aztec Gold. Possibly some sort of burnt orange would look nice.

post #202 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM

That's the same color as my living room, so I have to say that I actually like it. We have purple accents as my wife is a HUGE purple fan.

Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Ryan
post #203 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinneadthe2nd View Post

I don't think it looks bad. I'm trying to figure out what color would be a good accent to Aztec Gold. Possibly some sort of burnt orange would look nice.

Thanks. Thought about the burnt orange as well. Maybe I'll find a place to get it in.

Jay

post #204 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord87 View Post

That's the same color as my living room, so I have to say that I actually like it. We have purple accents as my wife is a HUGE purple fan.

Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Definately purple would work well with that. My wife likes green so I purposely didn't put any downstairs to keep her away. Any thoughts on carpet color that might go throughout the entire basement? That is going to be the biggest challenge working with my three different colors.

Jay

post #205 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 PM

I like it! Job well done.

post #206 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I like it! Job well done.

Thanks. Glad to hear you got to use the bar a little before the wine tour. Funny stuff!

Jay

post #207 of 350 Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Read through the whole thing, nice progress and is looking pretty awsome ! Great job !

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..
post #208 of 350 Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

Read through the whole thing, nice progress and is looking pretty awsome ! Great job !

Thanks. I am starting to feel like I am getting close. I really want to get my projector but I know the moment I do progress will come to a halt.

Jay

post #209 of 350 Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Countertops come on Tuesday AM so I had to install some straps to help hold it up. Used the router to make some grooves so that it would be flush.

Here is the HT back bar

Some photos of the main bar

Also picked out my bar faucet. Unfortunately the supply place didn't have it in stock so it is on order, but I convinced them to give me the display unit so the countertop guys could drill their hole. Ultimately I'll have to return it in a few weeks when the real one comes in.

Finally finished my shelves for the AV cabinet. Not too shabby for a first time cabinet builder.

Jay

post #210 of 350 Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very nicely done with the cabinet. What are you planning on doing for the front edges?

I like that faucet too.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page